Marlon Davidson working to start

FoundationEagle

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/true-freshman-takes-over-auburn-de-position/

"Auburn true freshman Marlon Davidson, a 4-star prospect and the No. 4 overall weak-side defensive end from the recruiting class of 2016, has beaten the odds by earning a starting spot on what could prove to be the Tigers’ deepest unit of the Gus Malzahn era.

It only took him eight practices to join the first team. During Auburn’s spring game on April 9, he participated with the Blue team — which was built to include the projected starters.

“We’ll go as full-speed and as fast as we can,” defensive coordinator Kevin Steele said in how he plans to utilize Davidson, according to AL.com. “He is a guy that’s very physically, mentally and emotionally mature. … If you watched it and didn’t know, you’d think he had been around here a couple of years. That’s the biggest thing.”

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Davidson was thought to be top notch out of HS and from everything we are hearing, he has proven it on the field.

I think our defense this year could be the best AU has had since the Tuberville era.

Anytime I hear the word "allegedly"

High praise for Davidson coming from Steele, and Steele has been around some good ones.

awesome, one of my top five all time movies.

Davidson was thought to be top notch out of HS and from everything we are hearing, he has proven it on the field.

I think our defense this year could be the best AU has had since the Tuberville era.

No pls stop.

You know it's been bad the last few years when any pulse of being good is equated to all time great

How does, "Best in Gus Malzahn era" and "best since the Tuberville era" become "all time great?"

How does, "Best in Gus Malzahn era" and "best since the Tuberville era" become "all time great?"

"Only the Shadow Knows".......

You're right my bad, I need to be super literal. Best since the tuberville era. Thanks!

You're right my bad, I need to be super literal. Best since the tuberville era. Thanks!

Super literal, right. I forgot about the broad sentiment expressed here and elsewhere that our defense has been dominant for the last 7 seasons. Now I realize why you said that.

If the rumblings that we've always heard about Cowart are true than does anyone think it's just as likely that this is motivation tactic/Cowart possibly being "lazy"? Coaches trying to push him to practice harder by letting a super hard working freshman get the starting role going into fall

I had never heard he was lazy. I thought they said he was coming along. Well I hope he's getting better too because we're really going to need him next year

I am looking forward also adding Derrick Brown and Nick Coe into the mix. Also don't forget Dewann Newkirk is supposed to be one of the most underated at his position. I think with this influx of new talent with the leadership of people like Carl Lawson and Monty Adams. The D-line will be a whole lot better than any of the preseason rankings that come out.

I am looking forward also adding Derrick Brown and Nick Coe into the mix. Also don't forget Dewann Newkirk is supposed to be one of the most underated at his position. I think with this influx of new talent with the leadership of people like Carl Lawson and Monty Adams. The D-line will be a whole lot better than any of the preseason rankings that come out.

Newkirk didn't qualify. But will sign later from JUCO more than likely

I had never heard he was lazy. I thought they said he was coming along. Well I hope he's getting better too because we're really going to need him next year

i recall Muschamp getting onto him at/after practice about how he wasn't #1 anymore or something like that. I can't remember the exact story

If I remember correctly that was garner and it wasn't about him being lazy it's just how garner is when he's breaking players in. He talks during drills and stuff

If I remember correctly that was garner and it wasn't about him being lazy it's just how garner is when he's breaking players in. He talks during drills and stuff

i think he was breaking him down, like the military.

Our D depth should help the offense be less concerned about going fast.

I disagree. Malzahn's offense is predicated upon going fast, and thus needs the tempo to stay in proper rhythm. Which is why we need a QB to step up and take the reigns, be it Johnson, White, or Franklin. And if I had to guess, I do think SW holds the upper hand, just not by enough that either of the other two couldn't take it from him before the season starts.

I do agree, however, that the depth on defense, particularly along the line, should play a major role in any amount of better play we hope to see this year.

The defenses in 2010 and 2013 were both pretty decent, so while I think you're right that the potential is there to be the best since 07-08 (and the defense wasn't the problem in 08), it's not as if anything other than dismal will fulfill that prediction.

Marlon Davidson winning the starting job seems to be more positive than the negative of Cowart not winning the job. Seems we struck Gold with Davidson.

Archived