Marlon Davidson working to start

FoundationEagle

To right the incorrect assumption of him?

Has that not already been accomplished? I understand it's the offseason and there's not much to talk about, but I'm just pointing out that there has been a lot of talking up of Jake Coker for this to be a thread on an Auburn true freshman defensive end.

These threads are so redundant at this point, I don't even care if we talk about the weather.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has that not already been accomplished? I understand it's the offseason and there's not much to talk about, but I'm just pointing out that there has been a lot of talking up of Jake Coker for this to be a thread on an Auburn true freshman defensive end.

These threads are so redundant at this point, I don't even care if we talk about the weather.

Quite warm outside.......

Why can't it be nippy!!

Yeah true but the threads these days will be all over the place until August as people have already noted

Why can't it be nippy!!

Indeed !!!

Truth be told nobody has seen enough of him to say he's a bust or not. many Message board critics are basically critiquing off if he plays or not and stats. Not on what they actually see. As far as the attitude rumors and stuff, half of that stuff isn't true or embellished and the other half is people getting a story confused

I feel this applies even more for Nick Fairley. People tend to say he wasn't that good in 09 and then in 2010 he came out of nowhere. In 09 I remember seeing him wreaking havoc in the backfield while he was in and wondering why in the world he wasn't getting more playing time.

Rocker was pretty explicit about why Nick didn't get more PT: (1) conditioning and (2) effort. He was fantastic against Bama in 2009, but most of the year, he played the game in spurts. In part because he simply couldn't give full effort a bunch of plays in a row and in part because he simply didn't play with a high motor every snap.

It's a pretty similar criticism to the one we've heard about Monty Adams for a couple years. His freshman year, he could make a splash play, but he couldn't give you 4 solid plays in a row. His conditioning just wasn't there. After that, he's had inconsistency in his effort/mentality. You can see some of the time. When he's not locked in, he has a tendency to play high as opposed to playing with proper leverage. That's part of the reason he's been better as a pass rusher than as a run stopper. If that guy makes the kind of mental leap that Fairley made, working every game and trying to dominate every snap, he's going to take a huge leap. If not, he'll be a flashy but inconsistent interior player.

As for Davidson, I think that's been the most impressive report on him. According to almost every writer, coach, player, etc., he had a consistent mentality. He gives effort every snap and doesn't get down on himself after a bad play. That's usually one of the last pieces that falls into place.

Why are we going on about an Alabama quarterback, again?

because somebody called out cowart for getting shook by him & I came to his defense saying Coker was a better runner that what people gave him credit for. That's why.

Truth be told nobody has seen enough of him to say he's a bust or not. many Message board critics are basically critiquing off if he plays or not and stats. Not on what they actually see. As far as the attitude rumors and stuff, half of that stuff isn't true or embellished and the other half is people getting a story confused

I feel this applies even more for Nick Fairley. People tend to say he wasn't that good in 09 and then in 2010 he came out of nowhere. In 09 I remember seeing him wreaking havoc in the backfield while he was in and wondering why in the world he wasn't getting more playing time.

Pre-season 2010, MANY AU fans said we had no one of any significance returning on the defensive side.

I replied two words...Nick Fairley.

I see no D-Lineman returning this season that impressed me like Fairley did in 2009.

And no...not even Lawson. Not even close.

Rocker was pretty explicit about why Nick didn't get more PT: (1) conditioning and (2) effort. He was fantastic against Bama in 2009, but most of the year, he played the game in spurts. In part because he simply couldn't give full effort a bunch of plays in a row and in part because he simply didn't play with a high motor every snap.

In addition to your great post, I recall Fairley saying after 2010 that the reason he played so hard was because, "I was scared of Coach Rock."

It was abundantly clear in 2010 that Fairley was more conditioned and gave MUCH better effort.

I'll always be grateful to Rocker for that. And be envious that we don't still have him.

because somebody called out cowart for getting shook by him & I came to his defense saying Coker was a better runner that what people gave him credit for. That's why.

I wasn't questioning the initial defense of Coker, rather the ongoing praise of his running ability.

No. Davidson and that may be it. It's possible another could factor into the rotation inside. You generally play 10-12. Inside, that would be Adams, Lawrence, Russell, and Swain as locks. Johnson, Williams, and Jackson are fighting for that fifth Tackle spot.

Outside, you have Lawson, Davidson, Cowart, Holland, James, and Kennion. All six will play. Barring injuries, I don't see anyone else as a rotation player.

No. Davidson and that may be it. It's possible another could factor into the rotation inside. You generally play 10-12. Inside, that would be Adams, Lawrence, Russell, and Swain as locks. Johnson, Williams, and Jackson are fighting for that fifth Tackle spot.

Outside, you have Lawson, Davidson, Cowart, Holland, James, and Kennion. All six will play. Barring injuries, I don't see anyone else as a rotation player.

Give Coe about 7 games and you'll see a flash of him I hope.

I really hope Kennion gains about 30 pounds of muscle this year. Until he does that he won't get much playing time.

Kennion will play. He started games last year, and he's deservedly ahead of a guy like Tega. Kennion is light in the butt, but he's talented. If that's my sixth guy, I feel pretty good.

I wasn't questioning the initial defense of Coker, rather the ongoing praise of his running ability.

Didn't realize anybody was praising him.

I think this James kid is going to be a beast!! Made a great tfl in spring game, and I believe the light comes on real fast for him this fall. jmho

Taylor, how did basic training go?

Nobody did...

Man...I was DQ'd back in Novemeber for my right knee. I went down to Montgomery twice for MEPS, the second time as a consult for my knee. I thought it was odd though I had the exact same injury on both knees...but the doctor only wanted a consult on my right knee. It was a lateral miniscus tear that DQ'd me. Blew my recruiter away & blew me away. Shook up my life plans, that's for sure. Currently back in school & may have an opportunity to join the rail road with Norfolk this summer. However, I've became buddy's with an Air Force recruiter here back home in Jasper & he's told me I can go through the process again when a year is up. So if I'm in this same position come November...I'll probably go through the MEPS process again. Just kinda going with the flow right now. Thanks for asking!

Pre-season 2010, MANY AU fans said we had no one of any significance returning on the defensive side.

I replied two words...Nick Fairley.

I see no D-Lineman returning this season that impressed me like Fairley did in 2009.

And no...not even Lawson. Not even close.

kudos to you. I certainly didn't see that coming.

Man...I was DQ'd back in Novemeber for my right knee. I went down to Montgomery twice for MEPS, the second time as a consult for my knee. I thought it was odd though I had the exact same injury on both knees...but the doctor only wanted a consult on my right knee. It was a lateral miniscus tear that DQ'd me. Blew my recruiter away & blew me away. Shook up my life plans, that's for sure. Currently back in school & may have an opportunity to join the rail road with Norfolk this summer. However, I've became buddy's with an Air Force recruiter here back home in Jasper & he's told me I can go through the process again when a year is up. So if I'm in this same position come November...I'll probably go through the MEPS process again. Just kinda going with the flow right now. Thanks for asking!

Dude, I lied to MEPs about a former heart murmur, seizures when I was young, two complete MCL tears, and a meniscus tear. No scar and they won't find out. Good luck with getting on at the railroad though. My brother in law works there in Birmingham.

Archived