Woody Working to Start

Charhair

I doubt we have the talent at QB Coach to get him ready for game 1, but that doesn't mean that he can't be the starter. With a proper blocking scheme, SW will be fine, wish he would have progressed from HS but he is still that same QB, just hadn't played for over a year and had to adjust to the speed of the game and poor coaching.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

White is my guy, but Woody is physically gifted. Great leader. He did some big things in 7A ball in Florida, but thats not the SEC. Freshman have started before. I am not apposed to putting the best qb on the field no matter the age

Freshmen have indeed started......but they usually make freshmen mistakes.....not many have been able to direct a championship level program in the SEC. We've watched similarly gifted athletes struggle at UF, LSU and elsewhere if you take a few minutes to think about. If he's the best we have....7 wins is going to be a really good season. JMO

White is my guy, but Woody is physically gifted. Great leader. He did some big things in 7A ball in Florida, but thats not the SEC. Freshman have started before. I am not apposed to putting the best qb on the field no matter the age

Freshmen have indeed started......but they usually make freshmen mistakes.....not many have been able to direct a championship level program in the SEC. We've watched similarly gifted athletes struggle at UF, LSU and elsewhere if you take a few minutes to think about. If he's the best we have....7 wins is going to be a really good season. JMO

Thats right. Gus may not have time to ride it out with Woody.

Sean White highlights from last year

He has some wheels in the Miss State game. All the drops throughout the year made me cringe

Me too. Craig can recruit, but he sucked as a reciever coach . Drops all year. Seniors dropping passes. There is no excuse for that. Rant over. Sorry guys

He has some wheels in the Miss State game. All the drops throughout the year made me cringe

Me too. Craig can recruit, but he sucked as a reciever coach . Drops all year. Seniors dropping passes. There is no excuse for that. Rant over. Sorry guys

Reasonable rant...really hoping Kodi can make a quick improvement...could make our QB situation look much better.

If the ball hits you in the hands or right between the numbers, it's up to the player to haul it in. Don't see how dropped passes can be blamed on coaches, or the QB for that matter....................

Ideally no. But if he was going to start this is the best situation he can have since we don't have a qb that's standing out

Pure speculation at this point.

And JMO but a freshman would have to be a judged as waay ahead to start over two or three guys who have post HS quarterback experience.

The frosh has never played against guys as big and fast as he will see in the SEC and unless Gus takes the orange shirt off, there is no way Gus could honestly say the guy is enough ahead to earn the start.

You're literally out of your mind if you think we have a qb that's standing out but I know....

Reasonable rant...really hoping Kodi can make a quick improvement...could make our QB situation look much better.

And then you say this is reasonable lol, is there a reasonable qb rant then? And what do you think kodi can do? He has some secret drills no other coaches are privy to? I'll tell you what will help....bringing guys in that can catch...

In the highlight video Sean looks pretty good. He definitely sees the field well. Timing with WR group seemed a little lacking but i'm sure last spring and last fall JJ got all the first team reps. Sean probably had some package that they worked on specifically if JJ were injured but that summer and fall work with the WR's to get timing down can make a big difference in a catch-able ball. Granted there were many that were put perfect but were dropped but also there were many that were short, behind, or to wrong side of the body to make a clean catch that were caught so I think it works itself out over the course of a year. QB's have to improve. WR's have to improve. RB's have to improve. OL...HB... TE... I think you get the point. We weren't 7-6 because we dropped a few balls. We were 7-6 because we turned the ball over. Running backs didn't hit the right hole. Injuries. OL miscues. Defense couldn't get off the field early in the season and offense couldn't stay on the field late. So all need to be better.

Sean looked good in the film. Definitely much faster and more elusive then I remember and again might not put great spin on the ball but sees the field very well for a first year starter. As for my opinion Sean is 1A at this point. I don't see a 1B but I don't see practices either. Here's to hoping all improve at all positions.

As always

War Eagle

And then you say this is reasonable lol, is there a reasonable qb rant then? And what do you think kodi can do? He has some secret drills no other coaches are privy to? I'll tell you what will help....bringing guys in that can catch...

IF coaches can't improve the performance of young players.... why bother to hire coaches?....just let the players coach themselves. I don't know what technique drills Kodi might use or how he might handle players who are too casual with their efforts....but if he can do something positive with the WRs, our QBs will be less frustrated by watching their perfect passes being dropped in crucial moments.

I'm still in the camp of ...."if the student hasn't learned...it's because the teacher hasn't taught. " And fundamentally sound players usually evolve from good coaching situations.

I'm still in the camp of ...."if the student hasn't learned...it's because the teacher hasn't taught. " And fundamentally sound players usually evolve from good coaching situations.

I'm not sure how you teach an SEC caliber player to catch a ball? Hand placement? Arm/shoulder angle? Use the body for leverage? Grip technique? Reps with the QBs?

I mean if a WR is a good enough athlete to make an SEC roster...then at minimum he should know how to catch a damn football.

Route running, taking proper angles on the field, blocking patterns, learning plays, etc are on the coach. Catching the ball is on the player IMO.

What are the odds we start better 1-3? I'm trying to figure out how we can beat TAM but Knight concerns me. Will we still have gas in the tank at that point? I think Arky St loses pretty much all its backfield so that's nice.

I still don't get why everyone is so concerned about Knight. He's done nothing significant to even be known, other than to have Katie Perry say he's cute on national TV. The kid has average numbers at best. He will actually need to significantly improve to be better than the A&M QBs we faced for the past 2 years.

I'm not sure how you teach an SEC caliber player to catch a ball? Reps with the QBs?

BOOM... right there. EVERY skill is improved with repetition... EVERY ONE. Even more so when you are interacting with another player and can learn to anticipate the speed of his throws, where he places the ball, etc.

And what do you think kodi can do?

The one thing Kodi brings to the table that no one else can is that he learned how to be a functional receiver in Gus's system in one off-season. He knows, better than anyone, how to get receivers ready to play Gus style football, because he went through it.

I'm not sure how you teach an SEC caliber player to catch a ball? Hand placement? Arm/shoulder angle? Use the body for leverage? Grip technique? Reps with the QBs?

I mean if a WR is a good enough athlete to make an SEC roster...then at minimum he should know how to catch a damn football.

Route running, taking proper angles on the field, blocking patterns, learning plays, etc are on the coach. Catching the ball is on the player IMO.

You would think so but how many HS WRs have played with QBs like JJ or SW who can put some mustard on the ball. Watch some of those HS videos of WR plays and most catches are made of floaters where the WR out-fights or out-runs a little 5'-8 DB and rarely gets a solid lick over the middle.

College football is an entirely different game where the WRs are trying to catch darts while on the run....and while watching out for some 225 pound LB or a Tray Mathews type DB who's looking to take his head off.

JMO but seems that catching a pass in college is as much mental as physical and I expect teaching "mental toughness" is a big part of the coaching process.

Granted it was a highlight reel, but he sure looked good in the highlights. As far as the can't run the zone read, or throw the ball down field. Wow, just wow!

Sean, just stay healthy and get some WO's that can catch. Also, stay off the "off the field stuff" that he doesn't need to be doing.

Granted it was a highlight reel, but he sure looked good in the highlights. As far as the can't run the zone read, or throw the ball down field. Wow, just wow!

Sean, just stay healthy and get some WO's that can catch. Also, stay off the "off the field stuff" that he doesn't need to be doing.

But... we don't have a good quarterback on our team. That's why the coaches are desperately looking for a transfer... end sarcasm.

But... we don't have a good quarterback on our team. That's why the coaches are desperately looking for a transfer... end sarcasm.

:) The coaches are looking for a transfer because as I stated above: Also, stay off the "off the field stuff" that he doesn't need to be doing.

:) The coaches are looking for a transfer because as I stated above: Also, stay off the "off the field stuff" that he doesn't need to be doing.

Yea... I was trying to explain that in another thread, but the "all our QBs suck" crowd isn't hearing it.

I don't think Sean sucks, I feel like he is the best option at the moment and he will start in the season opener vs a stout Clemson defense. I also think we will see an improved Jeremy - he was a better player at the end of the season than he was at the beginning. Give those two an oline that will protect them and give them time to make their reads and a couple of WR's they can depend on and I honestly think AU can operate an effective offense. Mix in a little wrinkle or two with JF3 and we can get back to some trickeration that Gus us known for.

Now - Steele better have that Defense hitting on all cylinders right out of the gate. We have a brutal schedule, and a sensitive/fragile offense - so the defense needs to shoulder the load early on and man up against Watson/Knight/Fournette in the Sept games so that the offense can gel.

I don't think Sean sucks, I feel like he is the best option at the moment and he will start in the season opener vs a stout Clemson defense. I also think we will see an improved Jeremy - he was a better player at the end of the season than he was at the beginning. Give those two an oline that will protect them and give them time to make their reads and a couple of WR's they can depend on and I honestly think AU can operate an effective offense. Mix in a little wrinkle or two with JF3 and we can get back to some trickeration that Gus us known for.

Now - Steele better have that Defense hitting on all cylinders right out of the gate. We have a brutal schedule, and a sensitive/fragile offense - so the defense needs to shoulder the load early on and man up against Watson/Knight/Fournette in the Sept games so that the offense can gel.

I think your're pretty dead on, though I'm seriously hoping that Queen has a lot to offer, in case Jeremy falters and we need him.

What are the odds we start better 1-3? I'm trying to figure out how we can beat TAM but Knight concerns me. Will we still have gas in the tank at that point? I think Arky St loses pretty much all its backfield so that's nice.

Will we still have gas in the tank for the THIRD GAME?????

Surely you are joking. If you're serious, step away from the keyboard. Your constant search for any negative slant you can find is waaaaaaay past nauseating. At this point you can't even be serious or you need help.

Archived