Woody Working to Start

Charhair

*i spent like 30 minutes looking for the article or video and couldn't find them or I'd link it so I'll have to describe it best I can"

I saw an article from SDS (or one of the others) but there was a Woody video attached that was titled "Woody Barret Wants to be Auburns QB in 2016" or something. It was late at night and I skimmed through it.

The video had a bunch of slow motion based around his footwork, throwing motion, deep balls and his zone read ability.

Assuming (and hoping) he's decided to go hardcore in the gym and with a QB coach type guy since he didn't enroll early...

What are the chances Woody can come in with the tools to take the job?

And if he does have the tools, would you feel comfortable throwing a true freshmen into his first game against the raining national runner ups? (And not to mention through the SEC after that).

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. Not a good idea to start a Freshman QB in this league......

*i spent like 30 minutes looking for the article or video and couldn't find them or I'd link it so I'll have to describe it best I can"

I saw an article from SDS (or one of the others) but there was a Woody video attached that was titled "Woody Barret Wants to be Auburns QB in 2016" or something. It was late at night and I skimmed through it.

The video had a bunch of slow motion based around his footwork, throwing motion, deep balls and his zone read ability.

Assuming (and hoping) he's decided to go hardcore in the gym and with a QB coach type guy since he didn't enroll early...

And if he does have the tools, would you feel comfortable throwing a true freshmen into his first game against the raining national runner ups? (And not to mention through the SEC after that).

Here you go. Yes, look what's coming boys. He is only a Freshman, so unless he is the very rare exception, I'd still give it a year. But hey, surprise us Woody.

I agree WarTim. But I do I think we should roll with Woody if the others are making freshman level mistakes. I am more lenient on SW for those because, well, he was a FR. JJ though? The very next time he throws into triple coverage or directly at a linebacker sit him down because if we are going to be making young mistakes from the QB position it should be a young guy making them and growing from them rather than a guy closing out his career. IDK about JF3. I like the run threat but I wouldn't trade it for a "minus" passing game. His A-Day performance did not instill any confidence in me as a passer. That long TD pass he had was an accident lol. Should've been going the other way if not for the DB grossly misplaying it.

Here you go. He will only be a Freshman but, yes, look what's coming. I'd still give him a year.

id have to agree. But with his speed, actually (seemingly) accurate arm and size, I don't see how he can't be just as much of a threat as JF3. JF3's only significant playing time came as a QB in a two QB system. While Woody is coming off a record breaking senior year and is obviously putting in a lot of work this spring.

sean and JJ obviously have way more experience (which may be one of the more important factors moving into fall)

Thanks for finding the video too

id have to agree. But with his speed, actually (seemingly) accurate arm and size, I don't see how he can't be just as much of a threat as JF3. JF3's only significant playing time came as a QB in a two QB system. While Woody is coming off a record breaking senior year and is obviously putting in a lot of work this spring.

If he had enrolled early and been able to work in the Spring, I wouldn't disagree with you, but since he's going to only have the Fall to both learn the playbook AND get accommodated to college life, John has a clear leg up on him. If Woody is a good learner, he will probably surpass him as the year goes on, however.

Here you go. Yes, look what's coming boys. He is only a Freshman, so unless he is the very rare exception, I'd still give it a year. But hey, surprise us Woody.

sean and JJ obviously have way more experience (which may be one of the more important factors moving into fall)

Thanks for finding the video too

Oh sure no problem, in fact I was just looking at that video before logging on here. We'll just have to see how he looks when he is facing guys on defense that are now bigger and just as fast as him. It takes time. As we have found out all too well, some can handle it and some can't. My fingers and toes are crossed.

I agree WarTim. But I do I think we should roll with Woody if the others are making freshman level mistakes. I am more lenient on SW for those because, well, he was a FR. JJ though? The very next time he throws into triple coverage or directly at a linebacker sit him down because if we are going to be making young mistakes from the QB position it should be a young guy making them and growing from them rather than a guy closing out his career. IDK about JF3. I like the run threat but I wouldn't trade it for a "minus" passing game. His A-Day performance did not instill any confidence in me as a passer. That long TD pass he had was an accident lol. Should've been going the other way if not for the DB grossly misplaying it.

If we start out 1-3 then yeah, playing Woody starting with ULM might be a good idea. Again, I think A&M, because of its placement on the schedule, could be the most important game of the year. There's a VERY big difference between 1-3 and 2-2.

He can work on his footwork, throwing motion, speed, strength and these are really good things. But in this video he is throwing to players without defenders, he is not having to read defenses, go through progressions and worry about being hit. He is not having to put touch on a ball where a pass has to go over a linebacker and drop in front of a safety. I am not criticizing Woody Barrett but until we see him in Fall practice I don't want to get to high or to low on him. The arm, size and athletic ability are there but there is so much more to the QB position then being able to run and throw it is hard to see a freshman come in and win the job without being an EE.

My other fear is his winning the job because the others didn't and he gets his confidence broken before he has had a chance to develop to his true potential.

If he is head and shoulders better than the rest, then he should start, but I don't see him adjusting to the speed of the game that quickly. Give him a year. One of the 3 guys now will be fine for this year.

If we start out 1-3 then yeah, playing Woody starting with ULM might be a good idea. Again, I think A&M, because of its placement on the schedule, could be the most important game of the year. There's a VERY big difference between 1-3 and 2-2.

I agree with you. A&M is a huge game it can swing our season one way or another. If we start 1-3 I feel like the wheels might start to come off. Gus' job would be in question by the media and who knows what kind of chemistry issues could pop up. All of this can snowball if we are 1-3 to start the year. I would be happy as heck if we hit 2-2 considering all of our question marks.

Being an SEC QB has as much to do with who's around you & their experience, who's coaching you & how long they've been coaching you, and most importantly the TIMING with which you earn the starting job. Having the skills and talent to play the position is one thing, using those skills and talent against some of the best seasoned defensive players that have been executing their defense for years is a whole other ball of wax.

Sorry if I don't want to see a true freshman QB go up against the NFL caliber defensive players AU will see this season.

Being an SEC QB has as much to do with who's around you & their experience, who's coaching you & how long they've been coaching you, and most importantly the TIMING with which you earn the starting job. Having the skills and talent to play the position is one thing, using those skills and talent against some of the best seasoned defensive players that have been executing their defense for years is a whole other ball of wax.

Sorry if I don't want to see a true freshman QB go up against the NFL caliber defensive players AU will see this season.

Good post. I only want to see it if he is our best option. Injuries, guys ahead of him falling apart, those things can happen. I'm glad he has the goal to come and win the job, no matter how unlikely it is.

Just didn't realize he was that big and strong. Looks a-little bigger than some of his HS videos. Like his HS coach said, he is like a LB running the ball.

If he has been in the weight room this spring, and if he is in the weight room all summer.... good gracious!

If he is our best option then I would have no problem with him starting. I just don't see it likely that he will become our best option given his late start.

wde

If he can execute the read option well and be a threat to take off with the ball and pass even average.

I'll be his biggest supporter even as a starting true freshman.

Barring injuries, I don't want to see him on the field this year. Yeah, if we start 1-3 I can see it, but even then I'd rather have SW or TQ out there. Unlike last year when we really only had two options after Queen's injury, there are a plethora of QBs who all have at least a year of major college film study to lead the offense. There is a HUGE difference between a true freshman QB and a redshirt freshman QB, and we have three candidates who are not freshmen at all.

The problem with Woody Barrett seeing significant action of any kind on Saturdays this fall is that means Gus Malzahn will be squarely on the hot seat before the end of the season, which means Auburn will be mimicking the Brooklyn Dodgers for at least another year, because it won't happen unless we DO start 1-3 with the toughest part of the schedule still to play. And that scenario doesn't go over well for anyone on the Plains, least of all the head coach.

Now, 2017 is a different story. He has the size, speed, and arm strength to challenge anyone in this system with time spent going against the first team D in practice (remember, Johnny Manziel was not a true freshman when he took the college world by storm). But Malzahn has to get to 2017 to see that happen, and one of the few ways I see him not keeping his job is having to rely on Barrett to quarterback the team. Again, that's taking NOTHING away from the kid, because he has a bright future, but true freshman QB stories just don't end well in this league. As a matter of fact, I only remember two quarterbacks in the last two decades who even had a success story after starting as a true freshman, and one of those (Peyton Manning) has a claim to being the best QB in the history of football...even though he never beat Florida.

I don't understand the OP......I am hoping that all the QBs are "working to start"...what's different...except that he or some fan is out there promoting him?

I predict a 3-0 start by the time LSU hits the Plains. Just feel it......AMBUSH starts early. :cool:

Ideally no. But if he was going to start this is the best situation he can have since we don't have a qb that's standing out

Ideally no. But if he was going to start this is the best situation he can have since we don't have a qb that's standing out

Pure speculation at this point.

And JMO but a freshman would have to be a judged as waay ahead to start over two or three guys who have post HS quarterback experience.

The frosh has never played against guys as big and fast as he will see in the SEC and unless Gus takes the orange shirt off, there is no way Gus could honestly say the guy is enough ahead to earn the start.

What are the odds we start better 1-3? I'm trying to figure out how we can beat TAM but Knight concerns me. Will we still have gas in the tank at that point? I think Arky St loses pretty much all its backfield so that's nice.

White is my guy, but Woody is physically gifted. Great leader. He did some big things in 7A ball in Florida, but thats not the SEC. Freshman have started before. I am not apposed to putting the best qb on the field no matter the age

Archived