Likely that we will essentially run a triple option style 2016?

ausoldiergrad

Well as usual the "football experts" here have turned an honest topic of conversation into an opportunity to belittle and brush Dorito crumbs off their bellies. Gus has this formation in his repoirtoire and has used it on occasion but as far as using it as our regular offense, let's look at that. The triple option formations lost favor with perennial top 15 programs around the early to mid '80s when big defensive players that are also fast and athletic stopped being a rarity. Oklahoma was one of the last holdouts and IMO Johnson's Canes convinced them to move away from it. Essentially - fast, strong, disciplined blue chip 18 - 22 year old defenders that get to spend a LOT of pre season time preparing for the triple option and then face it on occasion during the season - can consistently thwart that formation. So hypothetically...if an OFFENSE of top 15 caliber players ran it today against top dog D's that have played against it maybe a couple dozen times IN THEIR LIVES, it would be interesting to see the result and how much time DC's would start devoting to stopping it if oh, say, AUBURN had success with it.

Why thank you. That was my thinking as well. To a previous poster, I agree we aren't those schools. We'really better, and those offenses are pretty damn tough to stop with their 1 and 2 star players.

They aren't tough to stop for teams with top defensive talent. Think SEC opponents. How have the service academies and Ga. Tech fared on the few unfortunate occasions when they ran into contending SEC teams? Not well at all.

Well as usual the "football experts" here have turned an honest topic of conversation into an opportunity to belittle and brush Dorito crumbs off their bellies. Gus has this formation in his repoirtoire and has used it on occasion but as far as using it as our regular offense, let's look at that. The triple option formations lost favor with perennial top 15 programs around the early to mid '80s when big defensive players that are also fast and athletic stopped being a rarity. Oklahoma was one of the last holdouts and IMO Johnson's Canes convinced them to move away from it. Essentially - fast, strong, disciplined blue chip 18 - 22 year old defenders that get to spend a LOT of pre season time preparing for the triple option and then face it on occasion during the season - can consistently thwart that formation. So hypothetically...if an OFFENSE of top 15 caliber players ran it today against top dog D's that have played against it maybe a couple dozen times IN THEIR LIVES, it would be interesting to see the result and how much time DC's would start devoting to stopping it if oh, say, AUBURN had success with it.

Why thank you. That was my thinking as well. To a previous poster, I agree we aren't those schools. We'really better, and those offenses are pretty damn tough to stop with their 1 and 2 star players.

They aren't tough to stop for teams with top defensive talent. Think SEC opponents. How have the service academies and Ga. Tech fared on the few unfortunate occasions when they ran into contending SEC teams? Not well at all.

I agree...I wave the white flag...was only having a momentary possession by the spirit of Skip Bayless, and wanted to be provocative....aaaaannndd I just puked in my mouth...WDE!

I agree...I wave the white flag...was only having a momentary possession by the spirit of Skip Bayless, and wanted to be provocative....aaaaannndd I just puked in my mouth...WDE!

You're heart's in the right place. Gus incorporates a lot of shifts, motion, ball fakes, and miss direction out of a power run game set where the passing game potential is not severely limited. We've all seen how explosive they can be when Gus' creativity finds the right formula.

Does that really tell us anything about the effectiveness of that offensive philosophy, especially with regard to the service academies? There isn't a philosophy they could employ for any kind of consistent success against contending SEC teams (or contending teams in general), as the deck is overwhelmingly stacked against them. Top defensive talent makes less talented offenses struggle in general, regardless of what offense they're running. The only thing we can infer from the service academies' lack of success against football factories, is that the service academies are not football factories. I'm impressed that the Naval Academy can compete at all in the modern FBS landscape.

The triple option offenses are not tough for major opponents to stop. The triple option does help teams with lesser talent compete. Unless we think we're in the "lesser talent" group we don't want to go to the wishbone. Gus already has enough oddball plays to keep any defense off balance. Unlike the service academies, we do have to compete against football factories almost every Saturday in the season. Big, strong, aggressive defensive ends were the death blow to the wishbone. Our opponents already have them.

Also: The triple option offenses require excellent timing and total team discipline. Practice,practice, practice. It's not something a coach can "just put in" for a play or two. In other words, a team cannot just date the triple option, the team has to marry it. I don't think any major football power wants to make that commitment.

The triple option offenses are not tough for major opponents to stop. The triple option does help teams with lesser talent compete. Unless we think we're in the "lesser talent" group we don't want to go to the wishbone. Gus already has enough oddball plays to keep any defense off balance. Unlike the service academies, we do have to compete against football factories almost every Saturday in the season. Big, strong, aggressive defensive ends were the death blow to the wishbone. Our opponents already have them.

Also: The triple option offenses require excellent timing and total team discipline. Practice,practice, practice. It's not something a coach can "just put in" for a play or two. In other words, a team cannot just date the triple option, the team has to marry it. I don't think any major football power wants to make that commitment.

Oh, I'm not advocating for it, just saying it's impossible to know how effective it would be if it were run by a program that had SEC football factory talent. I have absolutely no interest in seeing Auburn run a triple option/wishbone/flexbone, but I think it would be interesting to see if a talented program tried it in the modern era. That said, I doubt we'll ever see it from a top program again, for the very reason you mention: the team has to marry it. Personally, I like the spread that we run just fine.

There are four potential triple option plays out of the shotgun spread set.

The first is a standard zone-read (usually an inside zone read) with the third option being a bubble screen to the wide receiver. What is great about this one is under the college rules because the bubble-screen is completed behind the line of scrimmage, there is no possibility of an "ineligible receiver downfield".

The second is the same thing but with the third option being a down-field pass. This is the version that risks an "ineligible receiver downfield". The linemen cannot go more than 3 yards past the neutral zone under the college rules.

The third version is a inside zone-read with a wide-receiver in motion to function as the pitch man in a shotgun flexbone style triple option.

The fourth version mimics the veer offense out of a shotgun spread with two running backs behind the QB. An inside zone-read is run with the second RB as the pitch man.

CGM has the first two plays in his playbook. We ran them with Nick Marshall quite a bit. The fourth play was practiced prior to the 2013 season BCS NC game. I'm sure CGM has the third play in his playbook, as it is a fairly standard spread option play.

Great post!

We ran a version of the 3rd play in the 2013 IB. Fake to Louis underneath. Fake to Mason. Then Marshall around left tackle for the TD.

The difficult part is you must have great blocking and serious running threats at all 3 positions to make it work for long yardage. Greg Robinson dominated his man. bammer respected Louis and Mason. Left it wide open for a 4.4 QB.

Auburn%20vs%20Alabama%202013%20Marshall_zpsgzagaw6o.gif

The quality of defenses we play against would make this a hard sell and would quickly have Gus out the door. Just get our QBs to play and run Gus' offense the way it can be run as we have seen in the past. I think 2016 is going to be a turn around season for us and will lay the foundation for great Auburn teams to come. Stay the course is my belief and I think it is what we should do.

All of this is true. Of course, we are also a football factory so any team competing against us is competing against a football factory.

wde

The first is a standard zone-read (usually an inside zone read) with the third option being a bubble screen to the wide receiver. What is great about this one is under the college rules because the bubble-screen is completed behind the line of scrimmage, there is no possibility of an "ineligible receiver downfield".

The second is the same thing but with the third option being a down-field pass. This is the version that risks an "ineligible receiver downfield". The linemen cannot go more than 3 yards past the neutral zone under the college rules.

The third version is a inside zone-read with a wide-receiver in motion to function as the pitch man in a shotgun flexbone style triple option.

The fourth version mimics the veer offense out of a shotgun spread with two running backs behind the QB. An inside zone-read is run with the second RB as the pitch man.

CGM has the first two plays in his playbook. We ran them with Nick Marshall quite a bit. The fourth play was practiced prior to the 2013 season BCS NC game. I'm sure CGM has the third play in his playbook, as it is a fairly standard spread option play.

Great post!

We ran a version of the 3rd play in the 2013 IB. Fake to Louis underneath. Fake to Mason. Then Marshall around left tackle for the TD.

The difficult part is you must have great blocking and serious running threats at all 3 positions to make it work for long yardage. Greg Robinson dominated his man. bammer respected Louis and Mason. Left it wide open for a 4.4 QB.

Boy Nick Marshall was a wizard with the zone read...I dropped my brew cheering for that TD while my Updyke brother screamed about some phantom holding call....

A uater complaining about holding?? What a world...

Great post!

Boy Nick Marshall was a wizard with the zone read...I dropped my brew cheering for that TD while my Updyke brother screamed about some phantom holding call....

Ya, Robinson held his man FORWARD for 5 yards.

BY FAR the most I've seen a bammer D-Lineman get dominated on a run play in an IB.

And was a Saban D-Lineman.

Shows you HOW great Greg Robinson was.

Now this is Funny sir!

Archived