Likely that we will essentially run a triple option style 2016?

ausoldiergrad

It occurred to me after A-day that we have all the ingredients to run a really effective triple option offense, a la GA Tech or Air Force going into this season. Our backfield is loaded with studs, and we will have at least 2 DT QBs. Much like in '13 when we couldn't be stopped running the ball down the other teams throats, if Auburn could learn the concepts of the triple option in one off season, why couldn't we run that style of offense? You would keep your backs fresh by spreading the love, while still keeping the "stars" engaged and on the field. Defenses would be forced to stack the box against the run, and this enable our sub par QBs to at least throw into single coverage every once in a while. We have some talent and size at WR. Maybe Kyle Davis can be our Calvin Johnson. C'mon...who's with me? And before "that guy" replies that many elements of the triple option are in the playbook as we speak....yes I realize this, but we lost our identity, and I am suggesting we try this one on.

That would be a stupid move on Gus' part. It may work for a season with the right QB, RBs and OL but in the long (heck, short term) term would be terrible for the program. We are not GT.

wde

That would be suicidal!!!

We don't have the personnel. Need a stud fullback and a QB that is tough as pavement. WRs have to be great blockers too. OL technique is different.

No, we wo t do it

We didn't go very far last year. Why not run from the wishbone ever now and then. I'm not saying run it all the time, just shake things cause the defense would not be looking for us to run out of the triple option.

I could see us incorporating a play or two where we might bring a WR around and use him as a pitch option on the perimeter, but that's about it. No way are we completely changing schemes.

Yes to running more triple option plays like 2013. The third option being the receiver. No to the flexbone. Paul Johnson still runs it because he perfected it. His disciples are the only ones doing at the highest level. We need to run the zone read with occasional TO plays. Wouldn't mind looking a little like Oregon or Georgia Southern.

IIRC, weren't there comparisons in 2013 to us running a triple option? I don't think we have the QB to run it like AF or GT (granted, we don't really have a QB to run other offenses either...) but I don't think it's terribly far-fetched if Gus can figure out how to run a straight option offense out of the spread formations. Heck, with receivers, it could even be 4 options.

Well as usual the "football experts" here have turned an honest topic of conversation into an opportunity to belittle and brush Dorito crumbs off their bellies. Gus has this formation in his repoirtoire and has used it on occasion but as far as using it as our regular offense, let's look at that. The triple option formations lost favor with perennial top 15 programs around the early to mid '80s when big defensive players that are also fast and athletic stopped being a rarity. Oklahoma was one of the last holdouts and IMO Johnson's Canes convinced them to move away from it. Essentially - fast, strong, disciplined blue chip 18 - 22 year old defenders that get to spend a LOT of pre season time preparing for the triple option and then face it on occasion during the season - can consistently thwart that formation. So hypothetically...if an OFFENSE of top 15 caliber players ran it today against top dog D's that have played against it maybe a couple dozen times IN THEIR LIVES, it would be interesting to see the result and how much time DC's would start devoting to stopping it if oh, say, AUBURN had success with it.

We went away from it because when you have backs like Bo Jackson and Brent Fullwood (or the guys we have on the team now) you are wasting talent. The triple option has become a good gimmick offense for the service academies and Ga. Tech, schools that cannot recruit top talent. We don't fit into that category.

I wouldn't mind seeing AU run it for a series or two in some games just to throw off the defense. But it can't be the bread 'n butter of Gus' offense, it would have a horrible affect on recruiting.

The triple option like GT runs is pretty easy to defend. Start in a 3-4. Have your nose play head up and drive the center straight back. Have your tackles line up as 4's and pinch. Have your OlB line up as 9's and take QB. Walk safeties down. ILB have A-gaps, DT have B-gap, OLB have C-gap, and safeties have D

Defending the triple option is all about assignment integrity. Tackles and ILB take the dive. OLB take QB and safeties have pitch. Corners have outside contain

By lining up your tackles as 4's and pinching, you disrupt the angles and paths the OT's take to the ILB. Tackles getting to the 2nd leavel quickly is a necessity to the triple option to work.

Again, If players know their assignment and read their keys, the triple option is pretty easy to defend. Now let me brush off this dorito dust...

I wouldn't mind seeing AU run it for a series or two in some games just to throw off the defense. But it can't be the bread 'n butter of Gus' offense, it would have a horrible affect on recruiting.

The thing is...Gus can run his offense from about any "look" so he can show an inverted wishbone, or whatever and still run the same stuff with the many options that he currently employees. No need to call it a triple option,,,,,just continue to engage in the arguments over whether he is running a spread offense or not.

No point calling the offense a triple option and thus putting ourselves in the class with the service academies and automatically removing AU from the "favorites list" of the top QBs, WRs and RBs.

We do run a triple - option attack (when we have a dual threat QB), it's just out of the shotgun. Running the option under center would throw our timing routes off.

There are four potential triple option plays out of the shotgun spread set.

The first is a standard zone-read (usually an inside zone read) with the third option being a bubble screen to the wide receiver. What is great about this one is under the college rules because the bubble-screen is completed behind the line of scrimmage, there is no possibility of an "ineligible receiver downfield".

The second is the same thing but with the third option being a down-field pass. This is the version that risks an "ineligible receiver downfield". The linemen cannot go more than 3 yards past the neutral zone under the college rules.

The third version is a inside zone-read with a wide-receiver in motion to function as the pitch man in a shotgun flexbone style triple option.

The fourth version mimics the veer offense out of a shotgun spread with two running backs behind the QB. An inside zone-read is run with the second RB as the pitch man.

CGM has the first two plays in his playbook. We ran them with Nick Marshall quite a bit. The fourth play was practiced prior to the 2013 season BCS NC game. I'm sure CGM has the third play in his playbook, as it is a fairly standard spread option play.

Well as usual the "football experts" here have turned an honest topic of conversation into an opportunity to belittle and brush Dorito crumbs off their bellies. Gus has this formation in his repoirtoire and has used it on occasion but as far as using it as our regular offense, let's look at that. The triple option formations lost favor with perennial top 15 programs around the early to mid '80s when big defensive players that are also fast and athletic stopped being a rarity. Oklahoma was one of the last holdouts and IMO Johnson's Canes convinced them to move away from it. Essentially - fast, strong, disciplined blue chip 18 - 22 year old defenders that get to spend a LOT of pre season time preparing for the triple option and then face it on occasion during the season - can consistently thwart that formation. So hypothetically...if an OFFENSE of top 15 caliber players ran it today against top dog D's that have played against it maybe a couple dozen times IN THEIR LIVES, it would be interesting to see the result and how much time DC's would start devoting to stopping it if oh, say, AUBURN had success with it.

Why thank you. That was my thinking as well. To a previous poster, I agree we aren't those schools. We'really better, and those offenses are pretty damn tough to stop with their 1 and 2 star players.

We do run a triple - option attack (when we have a dual threat QB), it's just out of the shotgun. Running the option under center would throw our timing routes off.

Ok well that is true.

The triple option like GT runs is pretty easy to defend. Start in a 3-4. Have your nose play head up and drive the center straight back. Have your tackles line up as 4's and pinch. Have your OlB line up as 9's and take QB. Walk safeties down. ILB have A-gaps, DT have B-gap, OLB have C-gap, and safeties have D

Defending the triple option is all about assignment integrity. Tackles and ILB take the dive. OLB take QB and safeties have pitch. Corners have outside contain

By lining up your tackles as 4's and pinching, you disrupt the angles and paths the OT's take to the ILB. Tackles getting to the 2nd leavel quickly is a necessity to the triple option to work.

Again, If players know their assignment and read their keys, the triple option is pretty easy to defend. Now let me brush off this dorito dust...

And actually very hard to run without fumbling.

Archived