Congrats to Ricardo Louis #114 to Cleveland

3rdgeneration

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Typical of Auburn fans. Kid busts his ass for four years as a wide receiver in a run heavy offense without ever complaining a bit, but one tiny, ambiguous quote and suddenly he's a malcontent. So predictable.

Well, to be fair, it wasn't very ambiguous nor was it very innacurate.

Typical of Auburn fans. Kid busts his ass for four years as a wide receiver in a run heavy offense without ever complaining a bit, but one tiny, ambiguous quote and suddenly he's a malcontent. So predictable.

And you are bashing the Auburn fans again. What's new?

The word "developed" is a bit ambiguous in that the typically sensitive commentariat here took it as a shot at the program when he was in fact being a bit self deprecating. Thing is, if anybody has paid attention to the kid's career at Auburn then the latter interpretation should seem more likely. But I guess the "Family" gon family.

Y'all let me know if stalkerjeff11's response was interesting.

It was by no means as elaborate as "But I guess the "Family" gon family." But then again, I'm not going to put down a whole collective fan base( again) if they felt a player said something that shouldn't have been said( even if it was true.) I haven't stalked you nor do I care to. Keep hiding behind that filter though.

What difference does it make...it seems like everybody is blood thirsty for a scapegoat. Was it Gus and his offense or Louis and his work ethic? Let the battle royal begin...wait it already has. Two draft years and two receivers drafted...prior to that it had been forever....Kudos to Gus and kudos to Ricardo

What difference does it make...it seems like everybody is blood thirsty for a scapegoat. Was it Gus and his offense or Louis and his work ethic? Let the battle royal begin...wait it already has. Two draft years and two receivers drafted...prior to that it had been forever....Kudos to Gus and kudos to Ricardo

Yep. They are talented, hard workers and have lots of potential.... We all want them to do well because it helps us and we want success for them.

Sammie even made a few comments that were similar in nature. It just doesn't help the narrative that we have a high school offense.

I think the heart of it is, we want Gus to evolve and he's possibly not going to.

Makes no difference how simple or complex the route trees are if they don't make catches that hit them in the numbers. Simple routes won Auburn a Natty in '10 and within 13 secs of another in '13. I'd venture to say if the WRs as a whole caught half of the passes they dropped in key moments this past season, we may very well be having a different discussion on our overall W-L record. He may have not been throwing shade, but it was perceived as such initially.

Makes no difference how simple or complex the route trees are if they don't make catches that hit them in the numbers. Simple routes won Auburn a Natty in '10 and within 13 secs of another in '13. I'd venture to say if the WRs as a whole caught half of the passes they dropped in key moments this past season, we may very well be having a different discussion on our overall W-L record. He may have not been throwing shade, but it was perceived as such initially.

That's my argument. Shut up and catch the damn football.

Can't argue with this

point is we are always complaining about the QBs, yet i seldom see a WR in the open. It is tough to have a high percentage when your only target is a two by two window. Probably shows why the QBs act totally in surprise when one gets wide open and they over throw them. I have yet to see Gus's offense produce a receiver that can break space.The great catches come for passes that actually should not have been even in play.He may want a run first offense but until he learns how to teach the WRs something besides down field blocking, our passing game is going to continue to look minor league and other teams will load the box. WDE

You know, I've held for a long time that the success of the 04 and 05 offenses had a great deal to do with Ben Obomanu, Devin Aromashadu, and Courtney Taylor. It is quite possible that the receiver haul we had this year will make a world of difference for the offense as a whole.

If you are an athlete trying to "learn" how to play WR, you need REPETITIONS with a live quarterback. These guys aren't getting them in practice, because we "practice" to iron out the base simplicity of Gus' offense.

What was Louis' "role" on the team? To catch screens and run the odd reverse. I can almost assure you that his practice regiment was heavily skewed towards those "skills", so saying something as stupid as "catch the damn football" is a joke. I'm not going to hire you for some technical job, give you minimal training, and then say "do the damn job".

He wasn't developed properly, just like Coates wasn't developed properly.

If you are an athlete trying to "learn" how to play WR, you need REPETITIONS with a live quarterback. These guys aren't getting them in practice, because we "practice" to iron out the base simplicity of Gus' offense.

What was Louis' "role" on the team? To catch screens and run the odd reverse. I can almost assure you that his practice regiment was heavily skewed towards those "skills", so saying something as stupid as "catch the damn football" is a joke. I'm not going to hire you for some technical job, give you minimal training, and then say "do the damn job".

He wasn't developed properly, just like Coates wasn't developed properly.

I don't buy that. Plenty of guys are catching balls just fine. He's been the glaring exception. Sammie caught way more than he dropped

I would hardly call what he said a "blast" at Auburn. And the things he said have been mentioned more than once about Auburn WR's by scouts leading up to past NFL drafts. I would say he and Coates were both picked on athletic ability WAY more than being ready for NFL offenses. Coates didn't even dress out for several games last year for the Steelers.

Clearly Gus took notice of the receiver issue with the recruiting class. Our receiving corps should be very good for the rest of the 2010s and could be elite by '18 and '19. But I believe that we are going to need Eli at QB this year, and wonder if we are going to need to turn to a JUCO again next year. Still, I certainly can't feel fully confident in Gus until he actually develops a QB out of HS. What I also must wonder is if Gus needs to stay for WB to stay. If that's the case, I might be for giving Gus more time to develop WB in case of a bad season so long as he makes changes at certain coaching positions.

I would hardly call what he said a "blast" at Auburn. And the things he said have been mentioned more than once about Auburn WR's by scouts leading up to past NFL drafts. I would say he and Coates were both picked on athletic ability WAY more than being ready for NFL offenses. Coates didn't even dress out for several games last year for the Steelers.

What percent of college football players who start playing football in HS actually cashed an NFL paycheck last year? Damn few..that's how many. Probably a percent with a couple decimal points in front of it. Any player who makes it into an NFL game is an elite athlete.

JMO but it is pretty cheap dissing a guy because ONLY played in a few games in his first year.

What percent of college football players who start playing football in HS actually cashed an NFL paycheck last year? Damn few..that's how many. Probably a percent with a couple decimal points in front of it. Any player who makes it into an NFL game is an elite athlete.

JMO but it is pretty cheap dissing a guy because ONLY played in a few games in his first year.

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are not elite athletes, but I am pretty sure you know what he meant. RL did not show very much in being a WR last year, but he showed in the combine that he is a great athlete, ranking higher than most in multiple events. This is what ultimately got him drafted. Same with Sammy Coates. Although his 40 didn't really show it, he has lightning speed and is utilized in such situations with the steelers. The same goes with Corey Grant at Jacksonville, etc, etc.

Development does not cease in college...Louis is still building his skill set. Some of the things the NFL likes are just not part of Gus's offense (like advanced route running) His game can continue to evolve and get better because he has great speed and athleticism. Hopefully he has a great NFL career...

Congrats go to Ricardo. I think it's awesome that you and Shon will still be playing together.

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are not elite athletes, but I am pretty sure you know what he meant. RL did not show very much in being a WR last year, but he showed in the combine that he is a great athlete, ranking higher than most in multiple events. This is what ultimately got him drafted. Same with Sammy Coates. Although his 40 didn't really show it, he has lightning speed and is utilized in such situations with the steelers. The same goes with Corey Grant at Jacksonville, etc, etc.

Just a thought....If Manning and Brady are not elite athletes why are they in the NFL and thousands of more "athletic" former college quarterbacks are working at some office job pushing paper? JMO but elite means having a unique combination of necessary skills to perform a job at the highest level. That combination of skills is what puts a guy in the NFL while millions of athletic guys never get a look. Coates and Louis are among the elite....not perfect. ...but elite. JMO.

Archived