Congrats to Ricardo Louis #114 to Cleveland

3rdgeneration

Makes no difference how simple or complex the route trees are if they don't make catches that hit them in the numbers. Simple routes won Auburn a Natty in '10 and within 13 secs of another in '13. I'd venture to say if the WRs as a whole caught half of the passes they dropped in key moments this past season, we may very well be having a different discussion on our overall W-L record. He may have not been throwing shade, but it was perceived as such initially.

That's my argument. Shut up and catch the damn football.

I've been saying this Ricardos whole career . He has zero room to talk about development when you drop more than you catch . Good luck to him either way

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ricardo is correct about the simplicity of AU's routes and their overall passing game. I think CGM's passing offense works against non-Power 5 competition, but not against Power 5 competition. This is why Tulsa and Arky State lit it up, but AU was only successful with a dual-threat QB.

CGM has the ability to dramatically evolve the option running game, but the passing game is very fixed. Maybe this goes to CDC's conflicts with CGM and CRL. Perhaps CDC wanted to bring in more pro-style passing routes and plays. I do not know, it is just speculation.

I don't buy that. Plenty of guys are catching balls just fine. He's been the glaring exception. Sammie caught way more than he dropped

Not every player is on the same developmental path. You can't tell me that because 'X' player catches everything, therefore everyone else on the team should also be able to do it. Maybe 'X' player already could catch everything even before he stepped foot on campus. You are entertaining major revisionist history on Coates: he got as much hate on here for dropping balls as Louis currently is. He caught more because he was a better receiver, but please don't tell me that he didn't have a drop issue just like Louis did.

Malzahn simply sucks at developing receivers. His offense doesn't call on them to stand out, therefore his practices don't put enough work in towards growing receiving skill-set. It is what it is.

I would hardly call what he said a "blast" at Auburn. And the things he said have been mentioned more than once about Auburn WR's by scouts leading up to past NFL drafts. I would say he and Coates were both picked on athletic ability WAY more than being ready for NFL offenses. Coates didn't even dress out for several games last year for the Steelers.

What percent of college football players who start playing football in HS actually cashed an NFL paycheck last year? Damn few..that's how many. Probably a percent with a couple decimal points in front of it. Any player who makes it into an NFL game is an elite athlete.

JMO but it is pretty cheap dissing a guy because ONLY played in a few games in his first year.

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are not elite athletes, but I am pretty sure you know what he meant. RL did not show very much in being a WR last year, but he showed in the combine that he is a great athlete, ranking higher than most in multiple events. This is what ultimately got him drafted. Same with Sammy Coates. Although his 40 didn't really show it, he has lightning speed and is utilized in such situations with the steelers. The same goes with Corey Grant at Jacksonville, etc, etc.

Just a thought....If Manning and Brady are not elite athletes why are they in the NFL and thousands of more "athletic" former college quarterbacks are working at some office job pushing paper? JMO but elite means having a unique combination of necessary skills to perform a job at the highest level. That combination of skills is what puts a guy in the NFL while millions of athletic guys never get a look. Coates and Louis are among the elite....not perfect. ...but elite. JMO.

Extremely intelligent players who utilized the talent that they had. Mind you, I am not saying they aren't talented individuals. I am saying they are not elite athletes. There are lots of athletic people who do not make it professionally. There are a lot of guys who were way more athletic than a Larry Bird, Peyton Manning, even a Tim Duncan. Elite Athleticism doesn't necessarily mean you are going to make it to the pros. It does not mean you are going to be a great player in the Pros. Has you have stated, it takes a multiplicity of things, but Athleticism definitely helps. I don't care how low of a b-ball IQ you have, if you have a 40-inch vert, there is a good chance you are at the very least going to get a look from professional and collegiate scouts. That doesn't necessarily mean you are going to be a good or great basketball player. I have seen plenty of times where teams with much less athletic ability beat opposing teams based off discipline and intelligent play and yes a little athletic ability. That is a talent in itself.

Yes, if you play professional sports you have to be elite ( However, we are talking about elite athleticism, not just elitism), but that doesn't necessarily mean you are an elite athlete. Deion Sanders and Babe Ruth both played baseball? Which one would you consider the elite athlete? Who is the elite baseball player? There is a difference. Both are great talents. Both are HOF players. Dare I say, Iconic in retrospect? However, you are not going to sit here and tell me Babe Ruth would be considered an elite Athlete. Although you might, Elite Athleticism is subjective too many people.

Anywho, there was a debate about this in the recruiting thread. I don't want to derail this thread from it's intended purposes. Maybe we can open u another thread about this vary issue.

Congrats RL.

Not "dissing" on Coates. Simply pointing out how far away he was to being NFL ready coming out of college. Steelers obviously saw potential and had depth at WR to give him time to develop.

I don't buy that. Plenty of guys are catching balls just fine. He's been the glaring exception. Sammie caught way more than he dropped

Not every player is on the same developmental path. You can't tell me that because 'X' player catches everything, therefore everyone else on the team should also be able to do it. Maybe 'X' player already could catch everything even before he stepped foot on campus. You are entertaining major revisionist history on Coates: he got as much hate on here for dropping balls as Louis currently is. He caught more because he was a better receiver, but please don't tell me that he didn't have a drop issue just like Louis did.

Malzahn simply sucks at developing receivers. His offense doesn't call on them to stand out, therefore his practices don't put enough work in towards growing receiving skill-set. It is what it is.

It's called having two receivers drafted the past two seasons. Prior to that it had been quite some time.. a decade almost. And bear in mind Coates was not a hot commodity outta HS, I think AU stole him from Southern Miss while Louis was a HS QB. Yet both via a Malzahn offense get drafted in the 3rd and 4th rounds of the NFL draft. Go figure.

If you are an athlete trying to "learn" how to play WR, you need REPETITIONS with a live quarterback. These guys aren't getting them in practice, because we "practice" to iron out the base simplicity of Gus' offense.

What was Louis' "role" on the team? To catch screens and run the odd reverse. I can almost assure you that his practice regiment was heavily skewed towards those "skills", so saying something as stupid as "catch the damn football" is a joke. I'm not going to hire you for some technical job, give you minimal training, and then say "do the damn job".

He wasn't developed properly, just like Coates wasn't developed properly.

One thing you're not going to be able to do is convince these guys that catching can be taught.....the good coaches have the secret Velcro technique

If you are an athlete trying to "learn" how to play WR, you need REPETITIONS with a live quarterback. These guys aren't getting them in practice, because we "practice" to iron out the base simplicity of Gus' offense.

What was Louis' "role" on the team? To catch screens and run the odd reverse. I can almost assure you that his practice regiment was heavily skewed towards those "skills", so saying something as stupid as "catch the damn football" is a joke. I'm not going to hire you for some technical job, give you minimal training, and then say "do the damn job".

He wasn't developed properly, just like Coates wasn't developed properly.

One thing you're not going to be able to do is convince these guys that catching can be taught.....the good coaches have he secret Velcro technique

Fantastic!

Indeed he does, a lot of class. He'll be back one day . Maybe as OC.

Knowing our track record of hiring, he'll be our next head coach.

You know, you're probably right. 2017 DC becomes HC

Archived