Four Auburn players arrested

TitanTiger

Not that it's any excuse, but sooner or later we're going to have to realize as a society that this stuff inevitably going to be legal.

I'm right there with you but it's the law and you have to abide by it in w/e state you're in. Do the Oregon/Oregon State and Washington/Washington State players avoid this type headache altogether? I know they are drug tested by the NCAA but any football player can tell you those are easy tests to pass.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a shame that it is even still a crime in backwoods Alabama. Sorry guys, I love my Tigers, but I live in Oregon. Where recreational marijuana is not only not a crime, but is LEGAL. You can walk into shops in Oregon to buy marijuana like you walk into the ABC stores back home.

Do I feel like college athletes should partake? Personally no, however if the truth be told, if Alabama was even half way caught up to the modern world, the devastating injury RDavis incurred last season SHOULD warrant him a medical card at the least.

This is absurd. Potential 6 months in jail and thousands of dollars fines for what in most states would be nothing more than a ticket. A citation. But nope, can't have that in Gods country. I mean there are still counties in Alabama fighting for their rite to purchase alcohol... There is a problem with the thinking in that part of the country.... Every time I start to miss home, something like this happens and reminds me why I left the state like a bad habit as quickly as I could.

I know I'm gonna catch the wrath for my thinking, but I don't care. Sure it was a knucklehead move by those guys. Carlton Davis especially, but the fact still remains, the problem is with the State of Alabama. Remember Nick Marshalls citation? Thank goodness he was in Georgia because he would of been crucified in good ole Bama.

I like this guy

This is a stupid state. A2E.. No grief from me!

Dumbest people in office in the country almost when it comes to Pot and I don't even smoke.

I did while in hight school and college and was a much more proficient person with it, I've grown up past it. But Who the F cares unless they are selling to Minors and they were not. As I've said befor, when I was in High School, 70-80% of the athletes smoked.

Exactly. I don't smoke it either, but I could. Legally if I wanted. But come on, college is where everyone has their wilder days. Again, its a knucklehead move, but to assume college students won't ever smoke pot or get drunk is plain gullibility at the least.

Its a shame that it is even still a crime in backwoods Alabama. Sorry guys, I love my Tigers, but I live in Oregon. Where recreational marijuana is not only not a crime, but is LEGAL. You can walk into shops in Oregon to buy marijuana like you walk into the ABC stores back home.

Do I feel like college athletes should partake? Personally no, however if the truth be told, if Alabama was even half way caught up to the modern world, the devastating injury RDavis incurred last season SHOULD warrant him a medical card at the least.

This is absurd. Potential 6 months in jail and thousands of dollars fines for what in most states would be nothing more than a ticket. A citation. But nope, can't have that in Gods country. I mean there are still counties in Alabama fighting for their rite to purchase alcohol... There is a problem with the thinking in that part of the country.... Every time I start to miss home, something like this happens and reminds me why I left the state like a bad habit as quickly as I could.

I know I'm gonna catch the wrath for my thinking, but I don't care. Sure it was a knucklehead move by those guys. Carlton Davis especially, but the fact still remains, the problem is with the State of Alabama. Remember Nick Marshalls citation? Thank goodness he was in Georgia because he would of been crucified in good ole Bama.

So at University of Oregon or Oregon State it is ok for their player to possess or smoke marijuana without any punishment from the coaches? Also are there not any conference or NCAA random testing at these schools for marijuana? I don't know so just asking.

Not that it's any excuse, but sooner or later we're going to have to realize as a society that this stuff inevitably going to be legal.

The courts are overwhelmed with the police picking up people for simple possession. Some places they just take the stuff and let the person go.

It needs to be decriminalized for possession, but not made legal. Same as having a pack of beer in a dry county. You can have it and use it, but not sell it.

The sellers would still be subject to charges just as bootleggers are with beer, whiskey etc.

There are not that many laws to abide by and everyone over the age of 10 pretty much knows what those laws are. This is not a mistake...it is willful. And who cares about laws in Oregon...you can drive 80 in Texas but that has nothing to do with Alabama where they chose to attend college.

That said...run their a****es off in the fall and sit out half a game.

when I was in High School, 70-80% of the athletes smoked.

And it might be a higher- no pun intended- percentage in college. If these guys are stupid, they all are.

One thing I wish I could know but never will is how they acted towards the cop. It's possible that he was prepared to look the other way and they smarted off to him, or maybe they were perfect gentlemen and he was just a prick or an overzealous young guy. I'm always curious about that.

So at University of Oregon or Oregon State it is ok for their player to possess or smoke marijuana without any punishment from the coaches? Also are there not any conference or NCAA random testing at these schools for marijuana? I don't know so just asking.

The NCAA tests once a year I believe. The school tests if they want and who they want when they please. A lot of football factories opt not to test guys they think will fail and test guys they know will pass. In those legal states, I asked a similar question, but I'm assuming they carefully select who they are testing. But they never have to worry about these dumb low-level crimes being committed or being an issue because the police can be worried about, you know, real crimes that are causing harm to people.

Anyone know why they were pulled over in the first place?

I don't see an issue with smoking weed. I know it's against the law, but so was bi racial marriages ( could still be but I'm not sure). My point is some laws are pointless and should be removed. I personally don't smoke weed but I did when I was in college. Now, if they were selling it I'd be upset. But it's a story so...

I don't care if they smoke like Cheech and Chong. Should not be illegal anyway.

And of course when you flip over to AL.com it is the lead story in bright red at the top of the page. bama's star d-line coach re-signing took 2 days to mention and was buried down with the rest of the articles.

just what we need, 4 more dumbasses that put themselves before the football team......whether dope ought to be legal or not, is neither here nor there, but what is important is the fact that it is against team and university rules and they did it anyway...shows a lot of character, right there.....i would run them off just to set an example for the rest of the team

Goes against the team? More than half the team tokes up and AU is not different than any other football powerhouse

Regardless of your feelings on the issue surrounding the legality of marijuana, the fact is these guys broke known rules. What our society is lacking is discipline. These guys are given enormous opportunity simply because they play sports. They should follow the expectations set for them, which should include not breaking any laws and getting arrested. If they can't follow those rules, there are plenty of kids who would love the opportunity they were given. End of story in my book. If these were Alabama players or even us at our jobs we would not be afforded the benefit of the doubt by those on this board so I don't think our own do either. We need to hold them accountable to build them into better men when they leave Auburn, not make excuses for them.

At least Auburn will never be accused of the police "covering up" or looking the other way when our athletes break the law unlike other schools (ahem, FSU, ahem)

Considering a solid 90% of college students smoke nowadays, it's just a matter of them being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Carlton makes me sad just based off the fact that he will probably be suspended at least half of the Clemson game. I was looking for him to help turn the Clemson game for Watson into how the Memphis game was for lynch

Hey, this is just conjecture but having witnessed issues like this recently as a student at auburn from 09-13, they probably didn't have much marijuana on them, one guy got caught but didn't claim the weed. Most police departments' procedure is, if no one claims the weed, then everyone present is arrested and charged with the same crime. It's absolutely ridiculous and perfectly in line with the character of APD, they aren't about making the streets safer, or policing the law (because despite the errant every other year serious crime, auburn is a safe place for the most part), they just want to charge as many people with as many fines as they possible can.

I witnessed two people get public intoxication tickets walking home from the bars. My friend, ever the idealist, decided to stick up for them, and the cop charged him with a public intox, it was later dropped after my friend's lawyers came in, and the girls got off too cause the cop was an A-hole. I lived in auburn for four years, I don't have a single pleasant thing to say about APD. And I've never heard a single story about them actually doing something nice for someone. If there is an APD on here, feel free to correct me, but I know what I've witnessed and heard.

Edited to add: the player/s are still dumb for having the weed, it's illegal, as idiotic as that is. And they literally just witnessed laremy tunsil lose 5+ million dollars for a three year old video of him smoking weed. As was said earlier, personal discipline is severely lacking these days.

That's what I was about to add, if it's there and no one claims it, then everyone is charged.

Don't suspend Byron and the two Davises at all

There's a certain point where I'm willing to just mark them up as first offenders and let them play

We have to win games

If we have a subpar season and people are arguing whether or not Gus should keep his job nobody will say BUT GUS HANDLED THE DISCIPLINE CORRECTLY as an argument to keep him around.

That being said, he's gotta discipline them somehow. A half would suffice but if he doesn't then a Chizik losing the team scenario could be imminent. These things can snowball.

Regardless of your feelings on the issue surrounding the legality of marijuana, the fact is these guys broke known rules. What our society is lacking is discipline. These guys are given enormous opportunity simply because they play sports. They should follow the expectations set for them, which should include not breaking any laws and getting arrested. If they can't follow those rules, there are plenty of kids who would love the opportunity they were given. End of story in my book. If these were Alabama players or even us at our jobs we would not be afforded the benefit of the doubt by those on this board so I don't think our own do either. We need to hold them accountable to build them into better men when they leave Auburn, not make excuses for them.

I heard a guy on the radio the other day that was college and professional athlete. He had daughters and they were D1 athletes. He was saying how he told them all that by going to school and playing a D1 sport they were forfeiting some of the things that other students get to do. Their free time would be gone, they had to make sacrifices about what they did and who they hung out with. They were not going to be regular students. I thought it was an interesting take. Wish more student athletes felt that way.

Archived