Nick Coe named North Carolina high school athlete of the year

RunInRed

A 3 sport athlete....don't see many in these days of sports specialization.

Congrats and War Eagle Nick.

Congrats Nick.

When he first committed I said with his wrestling background he could end up being one of our best pickups. I stand by that. Since he was not an EE and since we seem to have a lot of depth on D-Line this year I am not sure if he will play this year or Redshirt but watch out he will be really good.

Congrats Nick.

When he first committed I said with his wrestling background he could end up being one of our best pickups. I stand by that. Since he was not an EE and since we seem to have a lot of depth on D-Line this year I am not sure if he will play this year or Redshirt but watch out he will be really good.

I hope he does not have to play this year. Would do him a lot good to spend a red shirt year getting ready for the SEC instead of just playing a little mop-up and using a year of eligibility. I could be wrong but he does not seem like a guy who is counting the days until he can take a shot at the NFL.

Great honor!

Probably one of my favorite signees from the most recent class. I will go ahead and predict the he becomes one of the gems from the incoming freshman class. I just get the feeling he has a huge upside.

Probably one of my favorite signees from the most recent class. I will go ahead and predict the he becomes one of the gems from the incoming freshman class. I just get the feeling he has a huge upside.

Agreed. His wrestling background can only help. Balance has to be outstanding as well as understanding how to use leverage. Looking forward to him suplexing some QBs/RBs

He is my favorite underrated player to come in a while. I think he makes an impact sooner than some think. Maybe not from day one but possibly mid season. Guys that wrestle typically have outstanding work ethic and play with balance like others have mentioned. The most recent that comes to mind is Roddy White. He won multiple state championships in wrestling.

Going to be the steal of last's years class.

I always pick out someone I think will be the diamond in the rough and this is the person I picked this year. I think he was highly ranked by a few services but not much has been said about him since we signed a great DT/DE class. It just seems that his dominate wrestling style would help him understand how to get leverage and move people out of the way. Maybe I am overthinking it. But I still think he will be great.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this on channel 13 out of Asheville, NC. The sports director for the station had nothing but praise for this young man. He mentioned near the end of the segment that Nick was going to Auburn as a defensive lineman. It would not surprise me if he makes the all SEC Freshmen team for 2016. Nick is the kind of young man that will steer clear of trouble and will do us all proud no doubt!

He is my favorite underrated player to come in a while. I think he makes an impact sooner than some think. Maybe not from day one but possibly mid season. Guys that wrestle typically have outstanding work ethic and play with balance like others have mentioned. The most recent that comes to mind is Roddy White. He won multiple state championships in wrestling.

Didn't know that about Roddy. Bumped into him at the airport once, dude was jacked.

Here it is again...putting unreasonable expectations on a guy before he even gets to campus. Last season folks were complaining about Cowart's failure to make an impact when the real failure IMO was from fans who just can't seem to recognize how big a step it is from HS to the SEC.

Now take Nick Coe for example....a young man excelling at a mid-sized high school in a state not known for its excellence in football.....and yet it's already painted that he should be a freshman All SEC. If that were to happen, we should rejoice but if he is able to start or even get serious playing time as a freshman that will be saying a lot of bad things about our OL. Remember Braden Smith....the guy was built like a Greek God while still in HS and yet he red-shirted and it took him another year to begin making a name for himself.

I'm suggesting that we give Nick a chance to be Nick....don't set him up to be a possible disappointment before he arrives. Just sayin'

I think we are all excited about Nick. I would rather have high expectations than otherwise. Most of us know that these expectations are more than most young men can meet. However, most of us will adjust our expectations as the season plays out. This young man is special and will likely be the sleeper of the class. When he wakes up, SEC teams better take notice when Nick hits his stride.

Archived