2017 4* QB Kellen Mond (aTm commit 6/27/16)

ellitor

Figured we should have a thread on the #1 QB target on AU's board ...

Previously a Baylor Decommit 6/1/16

Previously a Baylor commit 6/24/15

3957420.jpg

Kellen Mond, Dual-Threat QB

San Antonio, TX (now IMG Academy - Bradenton, FL)

Ht: 6'2.5 | Wt: 201 | 40: 4.59

• Committed to Baylor but appears to be waivering
  • 15+ Power 5 offers
  • Likely a 4 team race, w/ AU, Baylor, TAMU, & tOSU
  • TOSU could be getting Tate Martell which could cut it down to 3
  • Originally from San Antonio but plays @ IMG in Florida now
  • Has taken 2 visits to AU & planning on a 3rd in a few weeks, bringing his parents

"(Auburn's a) spread offense, and Coach (Gus) Malzahn is one of the best," Mond said Friday. "I definitely feel like I could run the ball in the offense, throw the ball down the field in the offense so it's definitely a perfect fit."

The biggest hurdle the Tigers face is pulling Mond away from Baylor. The 6-foot-2, 201-pounder from San Antonio committed to Baylor last June, but appears to be reviewing all his options.

"Right now I'm still a hard commit to Baylor, but still taking visits and stuff like that. I just went to Ohio State last week and Auburn this week. Wherever my recruitment takes me."

"I really want to get my parents down here just to see their opinion on it, get my mom with Coach Malzahn because she hasn't been down here yet, and see what they like about this place," Mond said. "I really like it. The first time I came down here it was during the summer and I was with my dad most of the time. Now I got to hang out with some of the players so it was really good meeting some of those guys."

247Sports: 4*

ESPN: 4*

Rivals: 4*

Scout: 4*

Mond is a high-major QB prospect who's equally dangerous w/his arm and legs. Possesses great size, frame potential for young QB. Light on his feet while setting in the pocket. Ball jumps from his hand w/quick release. Senses pressure well. Plus arm strength. Throws well on the run. Dangerous runner. Especially elusive for long-striding galloper. Release isn't fully overhead, but close and has plenty of time to tweak mechanics.

http://www.scout.com...lysis?year=2016

Offers: Baylor (commit), Arizona State, Auburn, California, Clemson, Duke, Georgia, Houston, Kansas, LSU, Miami (FL), Ohio State, SMU, TCU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Texas-San Antonio, among others.

Hudl HIghlights

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His highlights look good. But who's doesn't. I hope he comes to AU though he looks like he could be a good fit for us.

Now that Mond gave his commitment to Baylor, we the heck are we going to do? Like in other years with Gus, we would missing out on getting top 4 and 5 * QB's. Looks like Gus and Rhett are playing the same song again this year as they've played since coming to Auburn in 2013.

Now that Mond gave his commitment to Baylor, we the heck are we going to do? Like in other years with Gus, we would missing out on getting top 4 and 5 * QB's. Looks like Gus and Rhett are playing the same song again this year as they've played since coming to Auburn in 2013.

We are no where near out on this one. That's why the thread was created today. The OPis current.

Watched the film. We need someone and he certainly fits the bill. He needs help with his technique when he throws the ball. He throws off his back foot but seems to be accurate...remembering these are highlights. He looks tall and elusive.

I like the pocket presence and how Mond is looking downfield when scrambling. He has good escapability(word?) for a big guy.

JMO but the kids from the 2017 class should be careful about their commitments right now.

With the stuff going on in the SEC with coaches under scrutiny and NCAA looking into things at some schools elsewhere....the college football world could look a lot different by the time these guys sign their letters.

KN CB'ed Mond to AU yesterday. FWIW.

Curious as to what event caused this. KN wouldn't just randomly do this. I would take a Mond for Narcisse switch any day of the year.

Curious as to what event caused this. KN wouldn't just randomly do this. I would take a Mond for Narcisse switch any day of the year.

As would I. Guess the NCAA is about to hammer Baylor.

Basically reading tea leaves on QB dominos. Tate likely to tOSU. Not solid on Baylor as said in OP & Aggie reporters are leaning to him not there.

I wonder who's recruiting him to Auburn. Lashlee? Malzahn?

Lashlee is spearing it. Gus can't go on the road to recruit til January. Gus does have a big part in it also though.

Watching his highlights, you can tell by the way his head moves that Mond is going through progressions, not locking into his primary target. His throwing motion is quick and seems very natural to him, but it like looks to me like he doesn't use his lower body as much as he could. Because of that though, he seems to be accurate on the run and doesn't seem to lose any power.

I guess it's a bust since he's committed to Baylor.

Please do some reading & pay attention. AU is very much in it.

Archived