Contract Details of New Football Assistants

WarTiger

http://auburn.247spo...stants-45323595

Auburn releases contracts of new football assistant

6_4359288.jpg

New defensive coordinator Kevin Steele is set to make $1.1 million this season. He signed a three-year deal with $100,000 raises built into the final two years. (Photo: Wade Rackley, Auburn University)

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn's staff looks drastically different than last season. And on Friday, Auburn's athletics department detailed the contracts doled out to each of the five new assistants.

Defensive coordinator Kevin Steele received the longest and most lucrative contract, signing a three-year deal that will pay him $1.1 million per season, with $100,000 raises built into the final two years of the deal. His buyouts progressively decrease: $1 million before the end of the 2016 season, $750,000 before the end of the 2017 season and $500,000 before the end of the 2018 campaign.

Steele's per-year salary is $500,000 less than that of his predecessor, Will Muschamp, who made $1.6 million last season before departing to become the new head coach at South Carolina. Steele's contract does represent a raise over his former job as LSU's defensive coordinator, where he was paid $1 million last season.

Steele is the only new assistant with a three-year contract. The remaining four -- wide receivers coach Kodi Burns, offensive line coach Herb Hand, linebackers coach Travis Williams and secondary coach Wesley McGriff -- all inked two-year deals.

Of those, McGriff has the highest salary, earning $500,000 per season the next two years. Hand will make $420,000 while Burns and Williams will make $350,000 and $225,100, respectively.

They replaced the five members of the 2015 coaching staff left for new jobs, with three going to the same place: after Muschamp became South Carolina's new head coach in December, he took defensive backs coach Travaris Robinson with him and promoted him to defensive coordinator. Once Lance Thompson completed his duties as the Tigers' interim defensive coordinator for the Birmingham Bowl, he joined the Gamecocks as well, where he will serve in the same capacity as he did with Auburn last season: linebackers coach.

In January, former offensive line coach J.B. Grimes left to take the same position at Cincinnati. Former wide receivers coach Auburn great Dameyune Craig bolted in February for LSU. Craig will guide LSU's receiving corps.

AUBURN ASSISTANT CONTRACTS (Years and salary)

• Defensive coordinator Kevin Steele: Three years, $1.1 million
  • Secondary coach Wesley McGriff: Two years, $500,000
  • Offensive line coach Herb Hand: Two years, $420,000
  • Wide receivers coach Kodi Burns: Two years, $350,000
  • Linebackers coach Travis Williams: Two years, $225,100

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Intrigued that Kodi is making more than T-Will.

That and I wish I had a job where, 6-years out of college I was raking in $350,000.

Yeah, the discrepancy between T-Will and Kodi is certainly interesting.

IMHO, Kodi had leverage (assistant coaching experience, current gig). TWill didn't.

Yeah, the discrepancy between T-Will and Kodi is certainly interesting.

IMHO, Kodi had leverage (assistant coaching experience, current gig). TWill didn't.

This

Kodi has proven himself already and Twill only had 2 bowl games as LB coach. So I'm sure both will get raises if they produce and IMO both are upgrades as coaches, and it looks like both are making a name as recruiters esp T will.

Keven Steele...1.1 MILLION?!! Does money have no value anymore? Unbelievable. There is no doubt we were desperate. We should of paid Aranda 2 MILLION!

I actually think Steele will prove to be worth it.

Keven Steele...1.1 MILLION?!! Does money have no value anymore? Unbelievable. There is no doubt we were desperate. We should of paid Aranda 2 MILLION!

image.jpg?w=500&c=1

Oh Thanks Olaf!

That's roughly the going rate for top coordinators. Join the 21st century, you might like it in here.

That's roughly the going rate for top coordinators. Join the 21st century, you might like it in here.

oh a top coordinator can go for even more Mikey, problem is we don't have one. Would you pay Mercedez price for a Pinto? I wouldn't Mikey, and if that's the new way of thinking in this century then I don't want to join Mike.

Auburn poor contract negations strikes again. They way overpaid Burns. Unproven and making close to what DC made.

He may be young but more proven than T-will. And IMO will be a better WR coach than DC. May not ever be as good a recruiter, but Look at what T-will is doing in recruiting.

oh a top coordinator can go for even more Mikey, problem is we don't have one. Would you pay Mercedez price for a Pinto? I wouldn't Mikey, and if that's the new way of thinking in this century then I don't want to join Mike.

to think of Steele as a pinto is just wrong

I think college football is on a different planet....I'm pretty familiar with the 21st century and know a lot of people with serious jobs....and none of them are in that ball park.

Getting a job coaching in college football is better than winning the lottery.

I think college football is on a different planet....I'm pretty familiar with the 21st century and know a lot of people with serious jobs....and none of them are in that ball park.

it pays well no question but these guys earn every cent of it. You want to have a job where you are basically a hired gun moving every couple of years on average with everything you do scrutinized by media and fans alike?

it pays well no question but these guys earn every cent of it. You want to have a job where you are basically a hired gun moving every couple of years on average with everything you do scrutinized by media and fans alike?

It must not be too bad....how many people do you see giving up their jobs to go to something more normal?

Back in the day if you had a job with IBM all you were missing were the public scrutiny and the mega bucks.

Agree. It pretty much exposes a serious lack of football knowledge as well.

Agree. It pretty much exposes a serious lack of football knowledge as well.

Consider the source of the post.

It must not be too bad....how many people do you see giving up their jobs to go to something more normal?

Back in the day if you had a job with IBM all you were missing were the public scrutiny and the mega bucks.

It's the reality of the world we live in. College football is big business and big money is part of big business. Most coaches have a great passion for what they do. It's in their blood. You're worth what someone is willing to pay you. I don't begrudge anyone the money they are paid in their job.

It's the reality of the world we live in. College football is big business and big money is part of big business. Most coaches have a great passion for what they do. It's in their blood. You're worth what someone is willing to pay you. I don't begrudge anyone the money they are paid in their job.

Oh...I understand the way of the football world coaching is about the only job I know of where you do a poor job and get fired and more often than not you get a new job pretty quickly making more money and if it so happens that the new job does not go well, it's off to the next one at a higher salary yet in many cases.

College sports are like the entertainment business....there is often no relationship between their financial structures and the rest of the world.

The business seems to operate on the "greater fool theory"......that there is always a fool out there willing to pay more so why not take it.

My only objection is that it distorts reality which is why we see 17 year old HS recruits already talking about what they are going to do when the get to the NFL...and maybe not saying it out loud......but thinking....the money.....the gals, the cars, the houses I can have.....

Archived