Contract Details of New Football Assistants

WarTiger

I actually think Steele will prove to be worth it.

I agree

Hope you guys are right. I'm not sold on him just yet.

"Williams will make $225,100"

1st job as an official on the field coach and he makes almost a quarter million? I'm in the wrong profession!

True but is it worth the yearly angst of job security? I mean we all have to perform to stay employeed but we all don't have hundred of thousands of people looking over our shoulders every week either.

I'd take it for 4-5 years salary in 1 year. I could be unemployed 3 out of 4 years and still be VERY comfortable.

Well that's a bit of a stretch...225,100 split over 4 years is only $56,275 a year...I wouldn't call that VERY comfortable..but I agree with the premise. Half of the 225 a year would work....a third would be liveable (barely). $225,000 doesn't mean what it did just 10 years ago..but I'd bet he at least tripled his salary overnight. Most people outside of sports have to invent something to have that kind of sudden success. But yes, make that for 5 years and I could afford to hold out for 2 or 3 years to get another job if needed. Damn I could sure use a 2 year vacation!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most people spend to their income, it's a proven fact. Making that kind of money for a few years doesn't buy you years on the bench, it means when you get canned you have nicer stuff that you now can't afford.

Most people spend to their income, it's a proven fact. Making that kind of money for a few years doesn't buy you years on the bench, it means when you get canned you have nicer stuff that you now can't afford.

Key word there...MOST.

I have some vague idea of how many hours a week those guys work, 50+ weeks a year. (When they do take a few days off to go duck hunting or to take their family to the beach, fans raise hell and call them lazy) I have some vague idea of the pressure that's on them, both self-imposed and from the public.

They can keep the 1/2 million a year, I wouldn't touch the job with a ten foot pole.

during the season, coaches easily work close to 80-100+ hours per week. When you break it down, its not an absurd salary. HS coaches salaries, if converted to an hourly salary would make less than 10-12 an hour.

I actually think Steele will prove to be worth it.

I agree

Hope you guys are right. I'm not sold on him just yet.

"Williams will make $225,100"

1st job as an official on the field coach and he makes almost a quarter million? I'm in the wrong profession!

True but is it worth the yearly angst of job security? I mean we all have to perform to stay employeed but we all don't have hundred of thousands of people looking over our shoulders every week either.

I'd take it for 4-5 years salary in 1 year. I could be unemployed 3 out of 4 years and still be VERY comfortable.

Just an additional observation: if you have a job with no angst about employment security you must be working for the government.

My kids are in their 40s, have good jobs in middle management at good companies with reasonable salaries....but their job security is probably no better than Kodi's at well less than half the salary.

Your kids aren't known by every Tom, Dick and Harry and they don't have to perform their jobs in front of 87, 000 people at their work place and millions more watching on television. They don't have their entire life talked about on Internet message boards on a daily basis.

We'll see. You could hire a well known entity and he could flop despite the millions you pay. If Kody does well it's less likely he will jump ship if he does well. Yay continuity.

We'll see. You could hire a well known entity and he could flop despite the millions you pay. If Kodyi does well it's less likely he will jump ship if he does well. Yay continuity.

This statement brought to you by: The department of redundancy

We'll see. You could hire a well known entity and he could flop despite the millions you pay. If Kodyi does well it's less likely he will jump ship if he does well. Yay continuity.

This statement brought to you by: The department of redundancy

The department of redundancy department?

I think this coaching staff will prove to be an asset and will provide a degree of stability to the program that has been missing for far too long. Steele is a solid DC that is surrounded by a good staff. That one game where Clemson got destroyed by 70 points will always follow him no matter what kind of job he does. I think that particular game has been extremely motivating for Coach Steele to never have a unit that comes anywhere close to that game.

Aranda had a game not too many years removed from as Wisconsin's DC by the tune of a 59-0 thrashing at the hands of Ohio State. Is anyone shouting from the roof top? Do not judge a coach by one game.

Didn't AU also have to pay LSU to get Steele?

No. Based on their fans' reactions, they would have paid us to take him.

Yep. And based off the drop in performance of LSUs D last year to one of their worst in years...I'm withholding positive expectations out of our D until proven otherwise. I'm not sold that he is a bad hire, but definitely not sold that he was the right hire. Wait and see I suppose.

Archived