Legendary Auburn running back Tommy Lorino passes away

augolf1716

Sad day one of my heros

https://www.seccount...ino-passes-away

Lorino was a member of Auburn’s 1957 National Championship team and the undefeated 1958 squad. He averaged 8.44 yards per carry in the 1956 season, which is still one of the SEC’s best marks. He rushed for 1,486 yards on 227 carries in three seasons playing for the Tigers.

He and Joe Childress were the first two Auburn players I recall from my youth. Childress was from a nearby HS where I grew up back in the day when most players were unknown to anyone but their families and devoted fans.

This was a great man that I was gifted the opportunity to know personally. I'm actually very saddened by this news. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

I am very saddened to learn of Tommy's passing He was a good friend of mine for many years. For those that remember he had a Golden Rule restaurant on South College near Interstate 85. I hadn't seen Tommy for years when my wife and I stopped at Auburn to get something to eat on our way to visit friends in Orange Beach and went into his restaurant to eat. I noticed all the pics of the 1957 team on the walls and asked the waitress if he ever came in and she said, "he is in the kitchen now". I asked her to tell him a friend of his was here and would like to see him. It was like old home week. We probably talked for two hours. I just wish I had known about his passing sooner because I would have definitely gone to the funeral which was today.Tommy was an SEC official for 25 years. He used to cover the wide receivers because he was the only official fast enough to keep up with them. RIP, Tommy I am proud to call you my friend. WDE!!!!

Archived