Roc Thomas transferring to JSU

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also on the Cubeshow:

-"Tim Irvin had a reputation for working hard at Auburn, he is just looking for an opportunity to play safety"

@JayGTate on @CubeShow

- "I have some doubts about Jamel Dean just based on him being medically disqualified at Ohio State"

@JayGTate on @CubeShow

The Roc rumor started a long time ago, so I suspect this is something he has thought long and hard about. JSU is a good football team, and I'm sure he will be their featured back. I wish him the best.

"Roc Thomas is apparently on his way to Jacksonville State"

@JayGTate with @CubeShow

That doesn't necessarily sound like it's confirmed. He could just be addressing the rumors. I'm going to wait and see ...

Did he state the transfer was a done deal or was he just addressing the rumors floating around?

Done unless Gus can talk Roc out of it here the very near future.

Rumors were swirling after the Birmingham Bowl, Gus addressed it and said they were false rumors. The staff has had 5 mos to show Roc that he could be an integral part of the offense this season. I really hate it, but wish him well at JSU.

I hope this move forces Gus to utilize our fullbacks more in the run game. They certainly looked stellar in the Spring game.

Guys, if this is true, then this is just bad. Yes, I know he hasn't performed the way we wanted yet, but the kid is a talent and can be successful in the SEC. This really leaves us thin at RB. But worse than anything, this is a 5 star player that is leaving along with 11 others that have left. This is the same kind of thing that happened during the end of the Chizik era. I really, really hope that Gus is not losing this team.

But, if it is any consolation, we still have Rhett Lashlee. :gofig:

Guys, if this is true, then this is just bad. Yes, I know he hasn't performed the way we wanted yet, but the kid is a talent and can be successful in the SEC. This really leaves us thin at RB. But worse than anything, this is a 5 star player that is leaving along with 11 others that have left. This is the same kind of thing that happened during the end of the Chizik era. I really, really hope that Gus is not losing this team.

But, if it is any consolation, we still have Rhett Lashlee. :gofig:/>

Very similar, unfortunately... smh.

But, if it is any consolation, we still have Rhett Lashlee. :gofig:

This one isn't on Gus. Putting Roc into the slot more was the best way to utilize Roc. Best for his future in the NFL and in big time college ball. Roc wants to be the man. And his high school coach is now at JSU and has been in Roc's ear for over a year trying to get Roc to transfer. Moving Roc more to the slot was the right call. Gus did nothing wrong here. All on Roc not wanting to move over from the RB position.

This one isn't on Gus. Putting Roc into the slot more was the best way to utilize Roc. Best for his future in the NFL and in big time college ball. Roc wants to be the man. And his high school coach is now at JSU and has been in Roc's ear for over a year trying to get Roc to transfer. Moving Roc more to the slot was the right call. Gus did nothing wrong here. All on Roc not wanting to move over from the RB position.

agreed. I think he was going to be heavily involved this year. Similar to a Reggie Bush role. Jax st coach probably got tired of Eli to auburn rumors and recruited roc illegally.

Did he state the transfer was a done deal or was he just addressing the rumors floating around?

Rumors were swirling after the Birmingham Bowl, Gus addressed it and said they were false rumors. The staff has had 5 mos to show Roc that he could be an integral part of the offense this season. I really hate it, but wish him well at JSU.

None of those rumors came from reputable sources though. There are at least 3 attached to this one though,

agreed. I think he was going to be heavily involved this year. Similar to a Reggie Bush role.

Yep.

When starters start transferring, I will be concerned. Hopefully Roc stays, but he has had chances and so far hasn't taken advantage of them. He has been hurt, fumbled, and just hasn't lived up to the hype so far. I hope he sees that only HE can correct his trajectory and become a star. I guess if he feels that he can't do it on the big stage, then JSU is the next best thing. Stick around and show us whatcha got ROC!

If Gus is losing the team, why did Monty and Lawson return? They could be in the league.

None of those rumors came from reputable sources though. There are at least 3 attached to this one though,

Been brewing for a long time. Gus talked Roc into staying threw spring ball. Guess Roc wanted to be the man and not play slot. Hurts depth but not much more IMO. AU will be fine.

agreed. I think he was going to be heavily involved this year. Similar to a Reggie Bush role. Jax st coach probably got tired of Eli to auburn rumors and recruited roc illegally.

A better comparison for his role would have been Felix Jones at Arky under Gus.

Been brewing for a long time. Gus talked Roc into staying threw spring ball. Guess Roc wanted to be the man and not play slot. Hurts depth but not much more IMO. AU will be fine.

So on the roster we now have JR who is an every down back who was injured/in-the-doghouse last year some, KJ who is not an every down back coming off of shoulder surgery and MM who is true freshman. Looks like a pretty big freaking deal to me.

So on the roster we now have JR who is an every down back who was injured/in-the-doghouse last year some, KJ who is not an every down back coming off of shoulder surgery and MM who is true freshman. Looks like a pretty big freaking deal to me.

Plus Cox and Pettway!

On the one hand, I look at Roc's HS film and a few highlights at Auburn and see tons of potential.

On the other hand, from the coaches' perspectives, I don't see anywhere near the production I'd expect from a consensus 5-star tailback. Neither do I see the kind of attitude I'd like to see from a potential feature back. There are some troubling issues with ball security, the lack of awareness and hustle in that Iron Bowl play from two years ago. I see the bursts of speed but very little in the way of tackle breaking ability. And his patented spin move has hurt at this level more than its helped. So I can't blame them if they look at the tailback role and put Jovon, Kerryon and perhaps others in front of Roc and wish to try him in a different role.

If he goes, I hope he's successful at JSU. But I'd rather see him stick it out here and make a splash at his new position. Jovon is gone after this year so he'd probably have another shot at the starting role at RB his senior year.

Archived