***2017 3* Juco ATH Octavius Matthews (AU decommit 1/26/17)

RunInRed

Previously an AU commit on 6/5/16

Auburn offered, the No. 1 rated JUCO RB committed ...

Matthews-_Octavious.JPG

Octavius Matthews, RB

Stevenson, AL (via Itawamba C.C.)

Ht: 6'2 | Wt: 200 | 40: 4.45

• 2017 Big Cat Weekend attendee
  • Recruiter: Horton
  • Previously committed to Louisville
  • Ran for 808 yards and 4 TDs on 90 carries last season

247Sports: 3*

ESPN: NR

Rivals: NR

Scout: 3*

Offers: Auburn, Louisville, Middle Tennessee State, Mississippi State, Troy and UAB, among others.

Hudl Highlights

Ck_Nv_Meo_Wg_AAxy_Fd.jpg

12049445_1007124529310558_2280032792470763107_n.jpg

Edited by ellitor

Jovon is quite the Auburn man here! Welcome Octavius and War Eagle!

6'2, 220, 4.45, and only a three star?

Awesome name though. Like a Spartacus character.

Well, assuming 4.45 is accurate...we know all too much about that debate.

Either way, he may well just be under the radar (as much as that's possible as a #1 JUCO). Was he injured to only get 90 carries? May tell the story on 3 stars.

Either way, he may well just be under the radar (as much as that's possible as a #1 JUCO). Was he injured to only get 90 carries? May tell the story on 3 stars.

No idea if he was injured. Don't know why he would only get 90 carries (8.97 YPA!!!!) if he was healthy

He likely has the 3*s because 1 site does not even rate recruits til after their last juco season & the other 3 give out very very few 4 * 5*s til at the same point.

And it's very possible for the #1 juco Rb to be under the radar. CAP was under the radar the whole time. He was the #1 juco RB at 1 point but never got a 4th *. He ended up the #3 juco back.

Edited by ellitor

No idea if he was injured. Don't know why he would only get 90 carries (8.97 YPA!!!!) if he was healthy

Just looked it up. They played 10 games and he got carries in every game. Only averaged 8 carries a game. Had 3 games with over 10 carries, highest was 16 carries. One game with 1 carry and several with 8 or so carries. Several other backs seemed to be splitting time. Odd for the #1 JUCO RB to only average 8 carries a game. He does have a great average though and enough carries to say the average is legit. Still the 8 carries a game is a little unnerving. We have single series where the RB gets more than 8 carries. Wonder if he is an every down in the SEC kind of back ...or if maybe he had a nagging ankle injury or something similar...guess we will know in a year or two :dunno:

Just looked it up. They played 10 games and he got carries in every game. Only averaged 8 carries a game. Had 3 games with over 10 carries, highest was 16 carries. One game with 1 carry and several with 8 or so carries. Several other backs seemed to be splitting time. Odd for the #1 JUCO RB to only average 8 carries a game. He does have a great average though and enough carries to say the average is legit. Still the 8 carries a game is a little unnerving. We have single series where the RB gets more than 8 carries. Wonder if he is an every down in the SEC kind of back ...or if maybe he had a nagging ankle injury or something similar...guess we will know in a year or two :dunno:

Well I have an answer to all your questions via a free post by Keith. He's an ATH, not a RB only & AU recruited as such. Link

Octavious Matthews committed as an ATH. Not straight up running back. Need to be clear on that.

He will play both RB and slot WR at Itawamba CC this season.

He's a top athlete, so Auburn wanted him period and will figure out where to play him when he gets there.

*scrambles to dig up receiving stats*

Roughly 1 catch a game for 15 yards per. As to the limited stats, he was a true freshman, so that might have something to do with it.

Could do some Mario Fannin-ish things for us.

Roughly 1 catch a game for 15 yards per. As to the limited stats, he was a true freshman, so that might have something to do with it.

Super Mario

Super Mario

Dude caught hell for fumbles- probably deserved a lot of it- but I swear he got knocked out cold one time without dropping the ball or even falling down. I think it was either UGA or bama. Mario was a tough guy.

I hope Matthews is, too.

Just looked it up. They played 10 games and he got carries in every game. Only averaged 8 carries a game. Had 3 games with over 10 carries, highest was 16 carries. One game with 1 carry and several with 8 or so carries. Several other backs seemed to be splitting time. Odd for the #1 JUCO RB to only average 8 carries a game. He does have a great average though and enough carries to say the average is legit. Still the 8 carries a game is a little unnerving. We have single series where the RB gets more than 8 carries. Wonder if he is an every down in the SEC kind of back ...or if maybe he had a nagging ankle injury or something similar...guess we will know in a year or two :dunno:/>

Well I have an answer to all your questions via a free post by Keith. He's an ATH, not a RB only & AU recruited as such. Link

Octavious Matthews committed as an ATH. Not straight up running back. Need to be clear on that.

He's a top athlete, so Auburn wanted him period and will figure out where to play him when he gets there.

My other question was did he have a nagging injury :dunno::poke:

Super Mario

Dude caught hell for fumbles- probably deserved a lot of it- but I swear he got knocked out cold one time without dropping the ball or even falling down. I think it was either UGA or bama. Mario was a tough guy.

I hope Matthews is, too.

I never thought Fannin fumbled near as much as the fans claimed he did. He had a couple high profile fumbles I believe though which clouds judgment.

He had a couple high profile fumbles I believe though which clouds judgment.

Agreed. Same might go for a certain former tweener who Matthews might somewhat fill in for.

Just looked it up. They played 10 games and he got carries in every game. Only averaged 8 carries a game. Had 3 games with over 10 carries, highest was 16 carries. One game with 1 carry and several with 8 or so carries. Several other backs seemed to be splitting time. Odd for the #1 JUCO RB to only average 8 carries a game. He does have a great average though and enough carries to say the average is legit. Still the 8 carries a game is a little unnerving. We have single series where the RB gets more than 8 carries. Wonder if he is an every down in the SEC kind of back ...or if maybe he had a nagging ankle injury or something similar...guess we will know in a year or two :dunno:/>

My other question was did he have a nagging injury :dunno::poke:

I have not seen 1 reported. That does not mean it hasn't happened though.