2016 3* LB/S Stephen Davis Jr.

EagleDamnWar

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Think he turns into a great LB for us, he has good coverage skills for a LB prospect. Plus he is tall enough to lock down on TE's in coverage. If he can add bout 15lbs I think we have ourselves a good LB. 

He talked a month ago about the school he planned to enroll at looking at him hard at RB. As far as I know AU was the major school still looking at him then.

23 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Glad to have Stephen back in the fold.

Well that was anticlimactic. 

If I'm in Davis' shoes I'm wanting to play defense because running backs have the shortest career life and make the least amount of money in that time at the next level. If he can excel at both equally (which is never the case I suppose) I would say playing on the defensive side of the ball would be more attractive. But I'm not him...obviously lol

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

If I'm in Davis' shoes I'm wanting to play defense because running backs have the shortest career life and make the least amount of money in that time at the next level. If he can excel at both equally (which is never the case I suppose) I would say playing on the defensive side of the ball would be more attractive. But I'm not him...obviously lol

But you're thinking like a grown up... about the future.  These kids are thinking that running backs get the accolades, the trophies, and the girls.

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

Not only that, I read somewhere that Stephen Davis is really suffering from his NFL days as a RB.

31 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

But you're thinking like a grown up... about the future.  These kids are thinking that running backs get the accolades, the trophies, and the girls.

Yep, true. Good point. Scoring touchdowns gets you on sportscenter. I'm sure at that age that the temptation of scoring touchdowns in the SEC would probably blind me some as well.

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Not only that, I read somewhere that Stephen Davis is really suffering from his NFL days as a RB.

Can you elaborate on this? I recall Ben Tate saying, in hindsight, that in high school he should've played safety or somewhere on defense. Is Davis experiencing some health issues? He was a tough RB for Carolina, I can imagine the cumulative effect of taking all those hits will eventually show up. Yikes.

51 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Can you elaborate on this? I recall Ben Tate saying, in hindsight, that in high school he should've played safety or somewhere on defense. Is Davis experiencing some health issues? He was a tough RB for Carolina, I can imagine the cumulative effect of taking all those hits will eventually show up. Yikes.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jul/11/as-memory-fades-ex-redskin-stephen-davis-sues/

This article says it all.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Yep, true. Good point. Scoring touchdowns gets you on sportscenter. I'm sure at that age that the temptation of scoring touchdowns in the SEC would probably blind me some as well.

Yep but one point I read in the local paper today said "a future contributor at safety and in the return game." Being a big time return guy and being a good DB will get u on SC as well, not to mention if you're dynamic enough ull have a roster spot as a return man in the NFL for a good while. 

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Thanks for sharing this article. That really sucks.

Wonder how he's doing now, since that article is 4 years old.  I would imagine some things have been settled with the NFL and he has a more long term prognosis.  I would also think that going through recruiting with his son made an impact of some sort.

1 hour ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Just to clarify...is coming in to play at RB or LB?

AU reporters don't know what position he will be & we may not know til the official AU site updates it's roster.

7 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Just to clarify...is coming in to play at RB or LB?

This thread is the only time/place I've seen him mentioned as a RB. I suppose it could happen that he plays RB at Auburn. Also, the moon could fall into the Pacific today.

@Mikey Note on SDj & he said this last month. Link

Davis was highly regarded as a safety prior to the season but was moved to running back. In one early season game he rushed for 202 yards and scored seven touchdowns. Unfortunately, Davis suffered a season-ending knee injury in his third game of the season and underwent surgery for a torn ACL and MCL.

“I’ve got to keep it a secret. I want to play offense but hopefully they put me where they think I’m going to ball at and I’m going to get ready to go.”

War Eagle Jr!!

I have followed from afar and not familiar enough with the kid, but what little I have seen, is he somewhat of a diva?

Is he a good fit for the locker room?

44 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

War Eagle Jr!!

I have followed from afar and not familiar enough with the kid, but what little I have seen, is he somewhat of a diva?

Is he a good fit for the locker room?

HWIW Keith said he's much like his dad. On the quiet side.

Just now, AUGoo said:

Glad to hear my impression is off point

Just because there is drama in a recruitment does not mean a recruit is a diva. It would be very unwise to assume 1 always follows thew other.

I just saw an article about this being the 3rd class in a row that all of the signees had qualified academically. 

In said article, it said that he has worked with RBs all preason camp FWIW

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Signed-and-delivered-Signees-qualify-for-third-straight-year-46598988

I just don't see him at RB. Maybe he excels if he can add bout 20lbs he could be Rudy Johnson type of back, little taller of course but look at Derrick Henry and Brandon Jacobs, both were tall. I'd like to see him 6-3 225lbs and still keep that 4.4 speed lol.

Archived