2016 3* LB/S Stephen Davis Jr.

EagleDamnWar

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys and gals, Steven Davis did not do AU any favors with Lattimore.

His son is going to be an elite defensive recruit.

I live near Duncan and never heard that Davis lobbied against AU. From what I understand he was a friend of the family and basically let Lattimore make his own decision. It was not Davis's responsibility or duty as an "Auburn Man" to push Lattimore toward Auburn. The Auburn coaches have to make the case to the recruit IMO. AU was not able to convince Lattimore that AU was his best choice...it happens sometimes.

Anyway, and again it is just my opinion but Lattimore made the right decision going to USCe. He had a great career there and is now a local hero. Playing for the Gamecocks will benefit him the rest of his life.

Free Read from AUC http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Stephen-Davis-Jr-on-Auburn-Theyre-at-the-top-181520

I live near Duncan and never heard that Davis lobbied against AU. From what I understand he was a friend of the family and basically let Lattimore make his own decision. It was not Davis's responsibility or duty as an "Auburn Man" to push Lattimore toward Auburn. The Auburn coaches have to make the case to the recruit IMO. AU was not able to convince Lattimore that AU was his best choice...it happens sometimes.

Anyway, and again it is just my opinion but Lattimore made the right decision going to USCe. He had a great career there and is now a local hero. Playing for the Gamecocks will benefit him the rest of his life.

Free Read from AUC http://auburn.247spo...-the-top-181520

I think S. Davis was a stand-up guy by being a trusted advisor and helping Lattimore's family make an informed decision. I have no problem with that and I doubt he "pushed" Lattimore anywhere. What I DID have a problem with was that he was on stage with the family giving hugs and smiles after the hat trick where the AU hat was tossed aside. He should have found out ahead of time what the choice was and gracefully stayed in the background out of respect for his alma mater.

I think S. Davis was a stand-up guy by being a trusted advisor and helping Lattimore's family make an informed decision. I have no problem with that and I doubt he "pushed" Lattimore anywhere. What I DID have a problem with was that he was on stage with the family giving hugs and smiles after the hat trick where the AU hat was tossed aside. He should have found out ahead of time what the choice was and gracefully stayed in the background out of respect for his alma mater.

You must be kidding.....some friend or family member makes a choice you disagree with and you dump them? If Davis had done something like you suggest, it would have come off to the Lattimores that he was just hanging around to promote AU.

It was not a matter of life or death which school the kid chose and any "friend" would have accepted the decision and joined in celebrating his good fortune to have earned the scholarship...and wished him success. I would have loved to see Lattimore at AU but I think he made the logical decision for himself and his family. Other than playing football (and he did very well at USCe) there were many reasons for him to stay closer to home.

As for loyalty to a person's alma mater.....my gosh, what do you say about Auburn people who marry a Bama grad....or send their kids to UGa or someplace like that? :dunno:

Well, on second thought...marrying a Bama grad might be justification. ;D

Let's get back to talking about Davis Jr. Hearing we are at the top is awesome. Let's focus on getting this elite athlete to AU.

You must be kidding.....some friend or family member makes a choice you disagree with and you dump them? If Davis had done something like you suggest, it would have come off to the Lattimores that he was just hanging around to promote AU.

It was not a matter of life or death which school the kid chose and any "friend" would have accepted the decision and joined in celebrating his good fortune to have earned the scholarship...and wished him success. I would have loved to see Lattimore at AU but I think he made the logical decision for himself and his family. Other than playing football (and he did very well at USCe) there were many reasons for him to stay closer to home.

As for loyalty to a person's alma mater.....my gosh, what do you say about Auburn people who marry a Bama grad....or send their kids to UGa or someplace like that? :dunno:/>

Well, on second thought...marrying a Bama grad might be justification. ;D/>

Did you read my post at all? I said I had no problem with him being a family advisor and ML made the right choice for himself. No issues. I did think it was a tactical mistake on SDs part, as a former star player for AU, to be on stage while the star recruit picks a school over said former star player's school. It was a bad visual for Auburn. He should have been off camera for that particular few moments. That's all. Stay calm. I hope SDJ is all he sounds like he is and he chooses AU.

6_1296976.jpg

Stephen Davis Jr., ATH

Irmo, SC (Dutch Fork)

Ht: 6-3, Wt: 185 lbs

- Class of 2016

- AU legacy (yes, that Stephen Davis)

- Sophomore: 84T, 3 TFL, 4 sacks, 4 fumbles caused/2 recovered, 2 INTs, 3 breakups, 1 punt block, 4 PAT blocks)

- Visited 3/08/14 and named the Tigers his leader

- Recruiters: Rodney Garner (P), Charlie Harbison (S)

Offers: Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Georgia, Missouri, North Carolina, Notre Dame, South Carolina, Tennessee and Vanderbilt, among others.

247Sports: NR

Rivals: NR

Scout: 4*

Hudl Highlights

6_1296976.jpg

Stephen Davis Jr., ATH

Irmo, SC (Dutch Fork)

Ht: 6-3, Wt: 185 lbs

- Class of 2016

- AU legacy (yes, that Stephen Davis)

- Sophomore: 84T, 3 TFL, 4 sacks, 4 fumbles caused/2 recovered, 2 INTs, 3 breakups, 1 punt block, 4 PAT blocks)

- Visited 3/08/14 and named the Tigers his leader

- Recruiters: Rodney Garner (P), Charlie Harbison (S)

Offers: Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Georgia, Missouri, North Carolina, Notre Dame, South Carolina, Tennessee and Vanderbilt, among others.

247Sports: NR

Rivals: NR

Scout: 4*

Hudl Highlights

Sorry didn't mean to repost this but thanks for updating the thread. I watched Stephens highlights. He is a big tall fast kid. I really liked what I saw!

What position is being recruited for?

My guess (and it's just that) would be star or safety.

Yep, he's being recruited as a safety.

something to consider is this. Without SDs involvement in the ML recruitment, would AU have even been in the discussion? who knows?

Back to Davis Jr again. There is a good chance Davis will be a Top 10 recruit for 2016. If he comes to AU it would be cool to have his dad hanging out on our sidelines with Bo and others.

I would love

Back to Davis Jr again. There is a good chance Davis will be a Top 10 recruit for 2016. If he comes to AU it would be cool to have his dad hanging out on our sidelines with Bo and others.

I would love to see Bo and Davis on the sidelines with Davis's son playing for us.

Can you imagine what it was like for Jr to be hanging out with his dad at the Bama game, meeting some former AU greats who played with his dad...and also having one on one time with Gus ?

No school will be able to come up with a recruiting trip like that.

Why were the pads in the early 90s so damn big?!?!?!?!

Big spending, big music hits, big hair, big shoulder pads. :)

Can we seriously stop bashing SD? He gave Lattimore the BEST advice out of anyone else involved with his recruitment. I'd rather have a former AU player give solid advice that helps a recruit choose what he wants, as opposed to wrangling these kids to their school when it might not be the best place for them. Did I want Lattimore? Hell yeah! Who didn't? But, what SD did was all class and some of you need to take off the O & B shades and realize it. That is all and WDE!

Archived