Character & Coe Academic status (Update 7/21/16)

ellitor

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coe's high school coach gives an update. Link

Auburn signee Nick Coe planned to finish an online course last week and be in Auburn by Sunday. But while he completed the class, he fell just short of the “A” grade he needed according to his coach.

“He had to retake a test and that brought him below an ‘A’,” Asheboro (N.C.) coach Owen George said.

Coe, a 4-star defensive end and a big part of a defensive line class considered the country’s best for 2016, now must take another online course in the coming weeks. He hopes to get qualified in time to arrive at Auburn on July 31.

“He’s anxious to get down there,” George said. “He’s upset because he wants to be down at Auburn, at practice in a dorm room. He wants to be a college student. It’s a little bump in the road is what (Auburn defensive line coach) Rodney Garner said. They talked last night. They still have a very good plan with everything.”

Coe may have come up short of qualifying in his latest attempt, but the 6-feet-5.5, 265-pound standout has come a long way in the class, George noted. And that has given his coach confidence Coe can qualify this summer.

“I wish you could see how much progress he has made,” George said. “He really worked hard. I’m going to go talk to him today about what he needs to do. He’s focused.”

According to George, Coe will register for another online course this week. The courses generally take around three weeks to complete.

Keep this young man in your prayers to make his grades. He is a wonderful young man who will make us proud no doubt. I feel good about his chances and he deserves to make it to Auburn for July 31st to show us what he is all about! Give it your best Nick!

What's the word on Character?

It's easy to read what has been posted. He has to take his class again and make an A. If he does, he may be at AU by the end of July.

That was Coe being talked about. Character was not mentioned at all. So I would also like to know any word on Character

Character was mentioned earlier in the thread & the OP. He has to improve his SAT or make a certain grade on an online class he just finished. He is still waiting to hear on both. If he doesn't in the next few days he will have to wait til July 31st to come to AU.

Correct. Which was mentioned in the 24-27th range. Nothing to do with needing an A which was Coe who needed that. Since the OP, it's been the Coe show.

Because everything on Character was premium after that except for Keith's last podcast. After that I could bring over the Character info that was in my last post.

There have been enough cases of funny business (Ole Miss for example) that ACT and SAT have pretty good reasons to flag unusual jumps in test results.

They have a jillion scores in their data base and they know what is possible and what is statistically probable. Plus it is in their interest to assure that their testing program has credibility and is not subject to wild fluctuations that cause suspicion about their test program.

It would seem to me that a sizable jump in test scores might not be that unusual if you consider that the test taker doesn't have a lot of experience taking standardized tests, is nervous taking the first test, didn't get a good night sleep the night before, etc. Taking the test again might be easier and result in a higher score. I can also understand the administrator's interest is the integrity of their test but the only way to get a significantly higher score would be to have someone else substituted for the original person (there should be ID checks to prohibit this) or to have another person in the room get the test, answer questions, and give it back to the person taking the test (Most test sites have pretty strict monitoring of students as they take the test). I wonder how widespread this "flagging" for different test results is on the general population of students, or does it mainly occur with athletes?

There have been enough cases of funny business (Ole Miss for example) that ACT and SAT have pretty good reasons to flag unusual jumps in test results.

They have a jillion scores in their data base and they know what is possible and what is statistically probable. Plus it is in their interest to assure that their testing program has credibility and is not subject to wild fluctuations that cause suspicion about their test program.

It would seem to me that a sizable jump in test scores might not be that unusual if you consider that the test taker doesn't have a lot of experience taking standardized tests, is nervous taking the first test, didn't get a good night sleep the night before, etc. Taking the test again might be easier and result in a higher score. I can also understand the administrator's interest is the integrity of their test but the only way to get a significantly higher score would be to have someone else substituted for the original person (there should be ID checks to prohibit this) or to have another person in the room get the test, answer questions, and give it back to the person taking the test (Most test sites have pretty strict monitoring of students as they take the test). I wonder how widespread this "flagging" for different test results is on the general population of students, or does it mainly occur with athletes?

Found this on line from a piece about a student protesting her test being flagged.....she lost.

ACT says 1.8 million students take the ACT each year. While ACT will not release any data regarding questionable results, it is estimated 2,500 students are flagged for cheating, and of that, perhaps a 1,000 end up having their scores cancelled.

high

I can't believe you actually said a joke that's funny!

I give you credit you keep trying.

It's only June!

Hate to see these guys having to pull a rabbit out of their hat at the last minute to qualify. If these guys were really A students ...likely neither would be in the situation they find themselves now. Good that we are not depending on them for a key role on 2016.

Hate to see these guys having to pull a rabbit out of their hat at the last minute to qualify. If these guys were really A students ...likely neither would be in the situation they find themselves now. Good that we are not depending on them for a key role on 2016.

If Coe doesn't qualify, newborn kittens better fear for their lives.

Getting an A or having to in an online class is not even remotely close to the metaphorical rabbit out of the hat. It's pretty easy for most to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived