How 'bout them Chanticleers!

First they whup LSU in Baton Rouge, now they take the Gators down on day 1 in Omaha! Here's hoping they go all the way.

I've got the Chanticleers as my favorite ream there, with Oklahoma State as my #2. Didn't you get a kick out of the way the Cowboys mistreated USCe in Columbia?

:thumbsdown: on the SEC, unless it's Auburn.

Completely agree!

I was in Baton Rouge while they played the Chanticleers. They were a little less than happy down there.

It's a beautiful thing, even though I didn't see a pitch. Here's hoping Texas Tech gets the win tomorrow and florida is 2 and out just like Miami. That will be awesome.

Most of y'all probably remember that we tried to hire their coach a number of years ago . Even got him on campus for an interview but he stuck with coastal Carolina … Where he basically created their baseball program.

It is nice to see his loyalty being rewarded

Well they are in the finals.....keep playing from the loser's bracket but manage to string together wins as needed to keep advancing.

They are a good team and fun to root for. They wasted three outs last night on sacrifice bunt attempts but won anyway. :) Not everybody can do that. I'm afraid Arizona will be a bit much for them but I'm in their corner all the way!

They are a good team and fun to root for. They wasted three outs last night on sacrifice bunt attempts but won anyway. :) Not everybody can do that. I'm afraid Arizona will be a bit much for them but I'm in their corner all the way!

Actually at least one of the outs was wasted when the base runner got careless and was picked off third. Seemed to me that they made good use of the bunts and I don't recall a single incident this week where their batters failed to get his bunt down. Offense and defense they are a fundamentally sound team.....(well except for few base running glitches) but their defense is excellent.

Actually at least one of the outs was wasted when the base runner got careless and was picked off third. Seemed to me that they made good use of the bunts and I don't recall a single incident this week where their batters failed to get his bunt down. Offense and defense they are a fundamentally sound team.....(well except for few base running glitches) but their defense is excellent.

Another "successful" bunt attempt resulted in the runner that was advanced being stranded at second, thus wasting an out.. The third "successful" bunt attempt wasted the out because the following batter hit a double, the following two batters singles. The guy that was advanced by the bunt would have scored anyway.

It's clear that we are not going to agree on bunting, that's why I made the joking comment. Very late in a tight game, no outs, runner on 1st and a good bunter but weak hitter at the plate, ok bunt. The rest of the time, a bunt results in a wasted out more often than it accomplishes any positive result.

Tough loss last night.....couple critical mistakes sealed the deal.......but the Chant's pitcher accomplished more than expected.....

So....will the Chants be able to come from behind again? gonna needs some better hitting.

It was an exciting game. Should be a great rubber match, I'll be watching tonight.

What did the Arizona coach do, take stupid pills through the first inning? He reminded me of Pawlowski, having your best two hitters bunt in the first inning with runners on base. Even Coach Paw wouldn't have had the guy attempt to bunt with two strikes on him. If there was a turning point in the game, it was Arizona's strange approach at the plate in the first inning.

How about the Chant's closer, going 6 &2/3? Tonight will be a fun game. Go Chanticleers!

It was amazing that the Chants were able to find to little used guys in their bullpen and have both of them pitch outstanding games and go in the range of 100 pitches for their games .

That leaves them in a good position for the game tonight.

As for the bunt calls by the Arizona coach , that is the stuff that got them to the college world series so I guess he's going to stick with the plan that got them to Omaha. Calls like that always look bad when they don't work.

It was amazing that the Chants were able to find to little used guys in their bullpen and have both of them pitch outstanding games and go in the range of 100 pitches for their games .

As for the bunt calls by the Arizona coach , that is the stuff that got them to the college world series so I guess he's going to stick with the plan that got them to Omaha. Calls like that always look bad when they don't work.

The announcers last night gave the impression that it was not what got them there; that they were a swing away type team. I don't know, but I got that impression from them. They were kind of calling the AZ coach out for doing it.

Perhaps to some extent, but what he called in the 1st inning was beyond the pale. Your best hitter fouling off three bunt attempts with runners on base? He may have had his mind made up a certain way, but the failure to utilize his available talent when opportunity all but knocked him down was just, well, wrong. I guarantee he didn't get to Omaha by having his top two hitters try to bunt with two runners on in the first inning. Had he done that very much they wouldn't be in Omaha.

Perhaps to some extent, but what he called in the 1st inning was beyond the pale. Your best hitter fouling off three bunt attempts with runners on base? He may have had his mind made up a certain way, but the failure to utilize his available talent when opportunity all but knocked him down was just, well, wrong. I guarantee he didn't get to Omaha by having his top two hitters try to bunt with two runners on in the first inning. Had he done that very much they wouldn't be in Omaha.

You have no way of knowing....Ariz #3 and CCU#6 were two of the top 6 bunting teams in the NCAA this year.....both small ball teams that were well set for playing in the big Omaha stadium....one of the things that I recall Sunny mentioning when he talked about CWS....the need to play small ball there.

Just saying the guy has a strategy and unless you followed him all season you have know way to tell what he had done previously....and in fact considering they lost quite a few games, he might have tried that kind of stuff unsuccessfully in the past. But ...if it had worked, he would likely have pushed across a run or two and they would be on their way back to Arizona with the trophy.

Bet both teams play they usual small ball game again tonight if conditions arise. That's who they are.

Bet both teams play they usual small ball game again tonight if conditions arise. That's who they are.

Coastal Carolina led the NCAA in home runs. I don't think you could call them a small ball team. Old Friend, we are not going to agree on the folly of wasting outs with sacrifices, but it's fun to discuss. :)

Coastal Carolina led the NCAA in home runs. I don't think you could call them a small ball team. Old Friend, we are not going to agree on the folly of wasting outs with sacrifices, but it's fun to discuss. :)

i

You have to remember that they play in a "band box" baseball park in a middle of the pack league. Once they get out into a part of the size of Omaha, those home field HRs end up on the warning track.

Check their stats, they bunt more than about anyone in Division I if you include the number of times they bunt

to achieve a base hit. Gilmore has taught them how to handle the bat and they make good use of it to advance runners..and safety squeeze.... but also just to get on base. If you dig into their stats a bit and also watch them play , their reputation as a home run hitting team is perhaps over blown.

JMO but perhaps that extra day of rest will help Coastal's pitching circumstances. A bet the ace starts the game today rather than the closer .

For anyone interested in this final game

NCAA site shows 1PM ET and ESPNU shows 5 PM ....

Guess we will find out in an hour or so.

Walks, horrible placement on 0-2 pitches, and two errors a piece. Both starting pitchers are chased. Anybody's game right now.

Walks, horrible placement on 0-2 pitches, and two errors a piece. Both starting pitchers are chased. Anybody's game right now.

Missed all the excitement while at Doc...but back in time for the 9th. See that both teams have a couple errors...not quite as tight defense as previous games....PRESSURE showing on both teams I guess.

CCU a senior oriented team...kinda like those basketball teams that rise to the top unexpectedly...James Madison or Butler....getting good young guys and keeping them around long enough to develop them.

Well....quite an ending......looked in doubt in the 9th but that game ending K was great with winning run on 2nd.

That reliever put himself in a horrible situation in the 9th, but he sure did come through. Great win for CCU.

Archived