QB Coaching

corchjay

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I share the OP's frustration. The constant, UNFOUNDED, ragging on Gus, Lashlee, on and on is self destructive. The group that wanted to fire Garner suddenly went silent after some recruiting success. I guess they slipped over into the current group of Cool Kids that think bashing Gus and the offense is the in thing.

I want to know what people are drinking to think Jimbo Fisher is some kind of home run hire? He had one great year with a Heismam QB, and he plays in one of the weaker conferences in the country and enjoys a better recruiting base and class than most anyone else in his own conference. He has already shown he hasn't much integrity with his handling of, and constant excuses for Jameis Winston.

I have not seen anyone say he would be a home run hire for us, just that he would get a call if Gus is let go.

I guess that's possible but Jimbo's offense is just like Gus's .....'now that Briles is officially free from Baylor I'm sure there will be a big cry for us to hire him and bring a really dynamic offense to AU. Those who truly care about winning are not going to let a few moral turpitude issues get in the way of making the right hire at AU.

I guess that's possible but Jimbo's offense is just like Gus's .....'now that Briles is officially free from Baylor I'm sure there will be a big cry for us to hire him and bring a really dynamic offense to AU. Those who truly care about winning are not going to let a few moral turpitude issues get in the way of making the right hire at AU.

Gus & Jimbo's offenses are not similar at all except some shotgun formations used. FSU actually does quite a bit under center. Our only under center plays are the quick hitters. Also our O is a shotgun version of the Wing T basically with a speed read or power read option depending on if we have a mobile QB. Jimbo's O is a pro style even in shotgun sets. Even though Briles' concepts use more spacing & finesse than Gus' they are more similar & players would have an easier time transition from them opposed to FSU.

And I would be surprised if the NCAA has not put a show cause on Briles keeping teams from hiring him anytime soon.

A show clause? That would be the first I heard of that. And after the pen state fiasco I'd be surprised if the ncaa wanted to get back in the business of penalizing schools or coaches for criminal or immoral actions.

I personally hope Gus figures this thing out. We'll see

A show clause? That would be the first I heard of that. And after the pen state fiasco I'd be surprised if the ncaa wanted to get back in the business of penalizing schools or coaches for criminal or immoral actions.

I personally hope Gus figures this thing out. We'll see

Shouldn't be the first time you heard it. NCAA put show causes on Tressell after tOSU & our Coach Pearl.

Gus & Jimbo's offenses are not similar at all except some shotgun formations used. FSU actually does quite a bit under center. Our only under center plays are the quick hitters. Also our O is a shotgun version of the Wing T basically with a speed read or power read option depending on if we have a mobile QB. Jimbo's O is a pro style even in shotgun sets. Even though Briles' concepts use more spacing & finesse than Gus' they are more similar & players would have an easier time transition from them opposed to FSU.

And I would be surprised if the NCAA has not put a show cause on Briles keeping teams from hiring him anytime soon.

Re offenses.....pro-style or not...some of that is just the window dressing....but interesting to me is that last year FSU was about 50:50 run pass and AU was about 70% running game which not how most of us visualize the Gus offense since we keep reading about a balanced offensive effort but rarely see it on the field.

Guess it's open for debate but I'm not sure Gus uses much Wing T concept these days......all those dive plays off left tackle did not resemble the offenses I recall at Tulsa for example.

As for Briles.....that was just a rude joke...... NCAA likely not to do a "show cause" but only the most desperate schools will give him a look for the next several years. I don't see any pro-active steps by the NCAA but if word were to get around that Briles were interviewing somewhere, I'm pretty sure the school President would get a phone call from the NCAA.

Lol....first I heard of it in relation to Briles....not ever.

You must not have been on here then when he was fired. A number of us speculated on it.

You must not have been on here then when he was fired. A number of us speculated on it.

E, he means it hasn't been mentioned anywhere reputable yet. Not just here or ever ever ever.

E, he means it hasn't been mentioned anywhere reputable yet. Not just here or ever ever ever.

Seems that possibility came up in previous discussions but I'm thinking the NCAA would stay away from "show cause" in order to avoid a lawsuit....kinda smacks of an anti-trust violation and I guess it is not clear (to me at least) about what violations would draw that level of penalty.

Tressll and Bruce got it for lying to the NCAA if I recall.....this would be something new wouldn't it?

The group that wanted to fire Garner suddenly went silent after some recruiting success.

fb6d01a1_3uwtud.jpeg

Garner has had one...ONE Defensive Lineman...of alllllllllll that talent...in THREE years make the All-SEC Team.

As a bonus...the #1 player in the 2015 class (IIRC, the first #1 ranked player EVER at Auburn) couldn't notch a single sack EVEN with Lawson out, creating ample opportunities.

The problem with our Defensive Line isn't talent.

Well he didn't say nor clearly imply it from word choice in his OP which is not quoted here. I was just throwing a possibility out there.

You are correct. I have not been following the Briles thread closely. I'm not surprised some random folks on a message board have mentioned that. So this would be the first time I've heard show cause mentioned. And i still maintain that it is pretty unlikely the ncaa tries to hit him with a show cause.

The group that wanted to fire Garner suddenly went silent after some recruiting success.

fb6d01a1_3uwtud.jpeg

Garner has had one...ONE Defensive Lineman...of alllllllllll that talent...in THREE years make the All-SEC Team.

As a bonus...the #1 player in the 2015 class (IIRC, the first #1 ranked player EVER at Auburn) couldn't notch a single sack EVEN with Lawson out, creating ample opportunities.

The group that was on here daily wanting to fire Garner is still active? I must be missing their posts somehow. In the meantime, Garner's job includes Recruiting Coordinator, and said recruiting has been going quite well even with huge staff turnovers. Also, one DL to make All-SEC in three years is one more than we've had at linebacker, so relatively speaking he's not been too bad at coaching either.

fb6d01a1_3uwtud.jpeg

The group that was on here daily wanting to fire Garner is still active? I must be missing their posts somehow. In the meantime, Garner's job includes Recruiting Coordinator, and said recruiting has been going quite well even with huge staff turnovers. Also, one DL to make All-SEC in three years is one more than we've had at linebacker, so relatively speaking he's not been too bad at coaching either.

We've employed a FOUR-man DL the last 3 seasons...compared to a TWO-man LB. So double the odds.

Bottom line...with his stud recruiting...there are no excuses why he shouldn't have at least one DL make the 1st or 2nd Team All-SEC team per season.

I share the OP's frustration. The constant, UNFOUNDED, ragging on Gus, Lashlee, on and on is self destructive. The group that wanted to fire Garner suddenly went silent after some recruiting success. I guess they slipped over into the current group of Cool Kids that think bashing Gus and the offense is the in thing.

UNFOUNDED? :lmao::rollin::laugh::roflol:

I'm not happy with 7 wins either. But for now Gus is our coach and should get the respect of that position. And we wonder why we have kids flip to bama. Look at how our own fans act about our coaches just think how the other fans act about ours.

Just like with coach Steele he was the best thing since sliced bread going to LSU... They had a decent defensive season and were young up front now he can't coach a lock and glad that Auburn took him off their hands. Now aranda is the best. Why don't we get behind our coaches like that?

Do you really think kids are flipping from AU to uat because of some AU fans bitching about the AU staff on a message board? Really? :rollin:

I'm not happy with 7 wins either. But for now Gus is our coach and should get the respect of that position. And we wonder why we have kids flip to bama. Look at how our own fans act about our coaches just think how the other fans act about ours.

Just like with coach Steele he was the best thing since sliced bread going to LSU... They had a decent defensive season and were young up front now he can't coach a lock and glad that Auburn took him off their hands. Now aranda is the best. Why don't we get behind our coaches like that?

Do you really think kids are flipping from AU to uat because of some AU fans bitching about the AU staff on a message board? Really? :rollin:

To tag on to your response.....the LSU fan's did not think hiring Steele was the best thing since sliced bread. Then when LSU turned in a poor (by LSU standards) defensive performance last season, they were not sad to see Steele move along. LSU gave up 24 ppg in the regular season last year, the most ppg an LSU D had given up in years.

****, the whole SEC was laughing at LSU when they hired Steele. Including this entire board. Everyone was poking fun at how Les had really lost his marbles this time. One of our notoriously positive posters (I'm not going to name names and call anyone out) went on an uncharacteristic rant about how terrible Steele was and how this signaled the end of the Les Miles/LSU power era. But now we have him on our staff.

I hope Steele can be the missing ingredient for our defense and am pulling for him this year and really hoping this was just the fit that he needed.

fb6d01a1_3uwtud.jpeg

We've employed a FOUR-man DL the last 3 seasons...compared to a TWO-man LB. So double the odds.

Bottom line...with his stud recruiting...there are no excuses why he shouldn't have at least one DL make the 1st or 2nd Team All-SEC team per season.

Making a popularity contest list is not the measure, well unless you think Braden Smith is really just a preseason 3rd team all-SEC guard. A lot of politics are involved in those beauty contest lists just like they are with All-American lists. The important list and the one that shows the measure of a coach comes on draft day as well as the FA signings list.

Garner is putting AU players in the league and he did the same thing at Georgia. He will add at a minimum 2 more with this draft, Adams, Lawson and possibly 4 with Lawrence, Swain. Garner recruited and is developing all those guys just like he did with Gabe Wright and Angelo Blackson. He just signed arguably the best DL class in the country. That level of talent won't go play for a coach that can't develop them.

fb6d01a1_3uwtud.jpeg

Making a popularity contest list is not the measure, well unless you think Braden Smith is really just a preseason 3rd team all-SEC guard. A lot of politics are involved in those beauty contest lists just like they are with All-American lists. The important list and the one that shows the measure of a coach comes on draft day as well as the FA signings list.

Garner is putting AU players in the league and he did the same thing at Georgia. He will add at a minimum 2 more with this draft, Adams, Lawson and possibly 4 with Lawrence, Swain. Garner recruited and is developing all those guys just like he did with Gabe Wright and Angelo Blackson. He just signed arguably the best DL class in the country. That level of talent won't go play for a coach that can't develop them.

There were no politics involved in Nick Fairley and Dee Ford making 1st Team All-SEC. They earned it with double digit sacks. In fact, if politics were involved, Fairley would have never made All-SEC as after the Georgia melee, the SEC targeted him in the Iron Bowl.

Thankfully, the Lombardi winner didn't fold like so many of Garner's have the last 2 seasons.

fb6d01a1_3uwtud.jpeg

There were no politics involved in Nick Fairley and Dee Ford making 1st Team All-SEC. They earned it with double digit sacks. In fact, if politics were involved, Fairley would have never made All-SEC as after the Georgia melee, the SEC targeted him in the Iron Bowl.

Thankfully, the Lombardi winner didn't fold like so many of Garner's have the last 2 seasons.

That call pissed me off so much at the time

Archived