QB Coaching

corchjay

What is not up to interpretation is the total rush defense has been dreadful the last three years. We have given up big run after big run from the LOS since 2013. We gave up 131 1st downs on runs last year, the third highest in the SEC. The teams only worst than us has been Texas A&M and occasionally USCe. Sacks has declined greatly since 2013 and last year we were dead last in tackles for loss after being middle of the road in 2014. As much talent as we have, this absolutely should not be acceptable under any circumstances.

But "Garner has continued to put his DL players in the league and it's building each year"

Really? Which D-Linemen were drafted in 2016?

Of the 1 senior DL (Kemiya Harrell) saw only action in Idaho... He wasn't going to get drafted and I believe he graduated and left the team... Of the other 5 JR DL none of them declared... Soooo... You're wrong man.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/davonte_lambert_907483.html

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/bucs-remain-busy-sign-20-undrafted-rookies/2275476

Soooo...You're wrong man.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is not up to interpretation is the total rush defense has been dreadful the last three years. We have given up big run after big run from the LOS since 2013. We gave up 131 1st downs on runs last year, the third highest in the SEC. The teams only worst than us has been Texas A&M and occasionally USCe. Sacks has declined greatly since 2013 and last year we were dead last in tackles for loss after being middle of the road in 2014. As much talent as we have, this absolutely should not be acceptable under any circumstances.

But "Garner has continued to put his DL players in the league and it's building each year"

What DLs declared for the '16 draft ? Also, I said the draft and FA, several times. Read the posts instead of trying to be a smartass. You might do better.

Wow...a FA contract. It just keeps building and building. Impeccable work Garner.

rbdWv.gif

Hope Saban doesn't snatch him up.

I don't know any Auburn fan that loves seeing this team 2-6 in the SEC. However, that's what happened in 2015. Most head coaches that ended a season at 7-6 overall and 2-6 in conference play would make major changes on his offensive staff during the off season. The only change was coach Grimes. He left on his own so he could be with his son at Cincinnati.

Jay I agree with your thought, I think that folks put to much concern with staying up with bama now. First we are in the toughest division in the toughest conference in US. We usually have 5 or six top 25 preseason, Nearly every year all 7 make a bowl game, On top of that we get to play 6 of them, then we get two more from the eastside and one power 5 non-conference team, College football has changed to be about like the NFL. Remember there are usually 8-8 teams making the playoffs in the NFL. Most of their fans are happy if they can go 8-8 and make a playoff and maybe advance a game or two. Unfortunately bama under nick has changed peoples thoughts. They fail to remember before Nick bama lost 7 straight years to us. And post Nick they will return to 7 win seasons. Nick has been very lucky. Quite a few things have fell their way. Getting into playoff games that they did not deserve like 2012 or last year. Fluke plays like the last play of the Arky/OM game saved them from being left out. I still don't belive that everything they are doing is above board, What I do know is that sooner or later they will come crashing back to earth. I can go back and show you several games the last two years that could have and should have went our way and we could have won 9 or ten games. But that would not have made you happy either, In the past few years uat been the bell weather team, They have won the SEC 3 times and AU has won it twice in the same time frame. No other team has won it more than once, during that time. Folks need to get their heads out of their rears and understand, while we might not have meet up to all their stupid expectations, we have done respectably well in comparison to all teams not named bama over the last few years. That is why smart men like Jacobs run a multimillion business like AU instead of folks on message boards. We could make stupid mistakes like uga did and LSU almost did in firing very good coaches because they couldn't get the breaks that nick is getting. You would probably be better suited to spend your energy and money getting Emmit removed from the NCAA, TIFWIW. WDE

I agree somewhat with your post.

We fans just need to be patient (myself included) - Gus needs a few years to get his feet under him in the SEC. It may take some time to get to 10 wins a year consistently, but Gus should be able to get it done with the top 10 classes coming to AU.

I don't know any Auburn fan that loves seeing this team 2-6 in the SEC. However, that's what happened in 2015. Most head coaches that ended a season at 7-6 overall and 2-6 in conference play would make major changes on his offensive staff during the off season. The only change was coach Grimes. He left on his own so he could be with his son at Cincinnati.

D. Craig left (with some prodding from CGM?) to coach WR's for one of our West rivals, it pained and somewhat irritated me to see that happen.

I don't know how Hand or Burns will pan out, but I'm excited to see what they can do to help the offense.

What DLs declared for the '16 draft ? Also, I said the draft and FA, several times. Read the posts instead of trying to be a smartass. You might do better.

Wow...a FA contract. It just keeps building and building. Impeccable work Garner.

Saban ? Tell him to p**s off for me. So what will you say when Garner puts 4 in the league this year from the first class he has both recruited and developed for 4 years ? Let me guess. Another wise ass comment and another gif ? Then when the recruiting level from his last 2 classes continues the pace ? That's called building his program to a higher level each year and most people can see that's exactly what he is doing.

To be fair, the Rush D numbers are very skewed due to the poor LB play. Injuries on the DL haven't helped, but when the DL maintains their gap and the LB can't find his, well...that's a big problem.

Agree, must be watching different game if you think the DL is solely to blame for AUs run defense. Some of the worst LB play I've seen . It's got to get better.

Saban ? Tell him to p**s off for me. So what will you say when Garner puts 4 in the league this year from the first class he has both recruited and developed for 4 years ? Let me guess. Another wise ass comment and another gif ? Then when the recruiting level from his last 2 classes continues the pace ? That's called building his program to a higher level each year and most people can see that's exactly what he is doing.

This is the FOURTH year for Lawson & Adams. They were both FIVE-star talent. Adams HAS to come out after this season. Lawson won't take the risk of a 5th season. They SHOULD have been drafted in Rounds 1-2 in the 2016 draft...you know...like they WOULD have been had they played for LSU or bammer...programs that DEVELOP their talent, as opposed to HOPING they crack Round 3 in the 2017 draft.

FIVE-star talent + Garner = 4th Round

ONE Round 1-3 draft pick, TWO Round 4+ draft picks and half handful of FA contracts does anything BUT signify "pace" or "building."

Freaking Missouri is on-pace with Garner the last 3 seasons. They have TWO Round 1-3 draft picks.

How embarrassing for Garner.

This is the FOURTH year for Lawson & Adams. They were both FIVE-star talent. Adams HAS to come out after this season. Lawson won't take the risk of a 5th season. They SHOULD have been drafted in Rounds 1-2 in the 2016 draft...you know...like they WOULD have been had they played for LSU or bammer...programs that DEVELOP their talent, as opposed to HOPING they crack Round 3 in the 2017 draft.

ONE Round 1-3 draft pick, TWO Round 4+ draft picks and half handful of FA contracts does anything BUT signify "pace" or "building."

Freaking Missouri is on-pace with Garner the last 3 seasons. They have TWO Round 1-3 draft picks.

I don't have a dog in this fight but using Lawson & Adams as examples that RG can't coach are dumb. Lawson has been hurt and Adams is lazy. If Adams played at uat he would have been processes a couple years ago. RG has done one hell of a job with Adams. Sure RG went threw a little dry spell but has damn sure come out of it the past couple years.

We should just put the coaches each user like on their profile.....It would save so much ramble on the board. Players too actually....

That'd be really funny

It'd be a lot easier to put the ones (for most of us) that we don't like. One or two here and there versus 90 plus.

I don't have a dog in this fight but using Lawson & Adams as examples that RG can't coach are dumb. Lawson has been hurt and Adams is lazy. If Adams played at uat he would have been processes a couple years ago. RG has done one hell of a job with Adams. Sure RG went threw a little dry spell but has damn sure come out of it the past couple years.

So...Lawson (hurt for 2 straight years) and Adams (lack of drive) are on RG? I'm pretty sure a lot of people were saying both of them could have gone in the top 2-3 rounds even with these issues but CHOSE to come back for another year. RG is such a terrible coach that these guys have had incomplete careers, could have been drafted..and still turned down money to play for him another year. Fire that guy NOW lmao. Talk about flawed logic.

We should just put the coaches each user like on their profile.....It would save so much ramble on the board. Players too actually....

That'd be really funny

It'd be a lot easier to put the ones (for most of us) that we don't like. One or two here and there versus 90 plus.

Mine would be Rhett and Kodi-Cat. Giving Gus the 2016 season. Other than that I'm pretty good with the rest of the staff.

So...Lawson (hurt for 2 straight years) and Adams (lack of drive) are on RG? I'm pretty sure a lot of people were saying both of them could have gone in the top 2-3 rounds even with these issues but CHOSE to come back for another year. RG is such a terrible coach that these guys have had incomplete careers, could have been drafted..and still turned down money to play for him another year. Fire that guy NOW lmao. Talk about flawed logic.

This for me or Viper?

Most all players have laziness to various degrees coming in because they weren't pushed by high school coaches like they will be by College coaches.

Believe it or not, it IS the coaches' job to "push them beyond what they think they can do." ($1 to Coach Dye)

Two 4th Round picks last year & one FA this year is "damn sure coming out of it the past couple of years"?

What has happened to some of the fans' defensive mentality of this program???

Dye & Tuberville routinely turned 2 & 3-star D-Linemen into All-SEC / All-American / Top draft picks.

Now two 4th Round picks last year & one FA this year is turning the corner. doh1.gif

Lawson isn't. Adams most certainly is.

Do you think Nick Fairley had that Lombardi drive in him before Rocker coached him?

And no...Lawson was at best, 4th Round. Adams, 6th or 7th Round. THAT'S why they came back. Top 2-3 Rounders do NOT return. Textbook flawed logic.

The Cadillac's and Ronnie's are long gone.

And no...Lawson was at best, 4th Round. Adams, 6th or 7th Round. THAT'S why they came back. Top 2-3 Rounders do NOT return. Textbook flawed logic.

Lawson would have been gone by the 3rd round. You're talking about a kid who's entering this season as a Top 10-20 pick despite barely even playing. He came back because the risk was worth it, not many draft eligible players can say that.

I think that even Adams could have landed in the 4th-5th round given Combine performance. Who here saw Angelo Blackson as a 4th round pick? Like Blackson, even with spotty performance, Adams is huge and athletic. NFL personnel will buy into that, always.

Amen

What has happened to some of the fans' defensive mentality of this program???

The defensive mentality has been softened due to the main focus being on offense. The mentality that we can just field a middle of the road defense because when Gus has "the right QB" the offense will just blow the doors off the opponent.

Defensive coaches are adjusting their schemes and the physicality of their players - Gus better be adjusting his offense and finding a stout defense of his own or he and Auburn will stay on this downward trend.

AU desperately needs stability, changing DC's every year will never lead to solid defensive production. Git 'er done Steele!

Lawson would have been gone by the 3rd round. You're talking about a kid who's entering this season as a Top 10-20 pick despite barely even playing. He came back because the risk was worth it, not many draft eligible players can say that.

I think that even Adams could have landed in the 4th-5th round given Combine performance. Who here saw Angelo Blackson as a 4th round pick? Like Blackson, even with spotty performance, Adams is huge and athletic. NFL personnel will buy into that, always.

1.5 seasons played out of 3 rarely guarantees a Round 1-3 pick.

He came back because he wasn't one.

Adams is the most hot/cold DL ever at AU. Round 6 at best. That's why he came back.

I had Blackson as our 2nd best DT behind Wright in 2012. I expected Wright to go Round 1-2 back then. Blackson not far behind. They both disappointed.

All Garner.

Sorry can't agree this time

Adams is the most hot/cold DL ever at AU. Round 6 at best. That's why he came back.

I had Blackson as our 2nd best DT behind Wright in 2012. I expected Wright to go Round 1-2 back then. Blackson not far behind. They both disappointed.

All Garner.

You are wrong, but OK...and I don't even like Garner.

You're nuts if you think that an NFL team doesn't take a clear 1st round talent (Lawson) in the 3rd round, regardless of how many games he has played. Too much upside there in a hard-working/high-character package. Just like how Dorial Green-Beckham still landed in the 2nd round with ~one season of performance and a million off-field concerns. He didn't even play a single down for Oklahoma and still landed in the 2nd round. Talent wins out, always. Lawson has abused Laremy Tunsil, who would have likely gone 1st overall before all the off-field s*** hit him, on several plays. He also threw Cyrus Kouandjio around like a rag-doll. You know what would have happened had he declared last season? He would have shown up to the Combine looking freakish in underwear and then ran a ~4.6 at 250+ pounds. The "1.5 seasons played in 3 years" becomes an afterthought at that point, especially in the 3rd round wherein you're hardly guaranteed to get an NFL performer anyway. He returned to school because Lawson is a competitor who obviously isn't satisfied with how his college career has unfolded. He's one of the few guys wherein the risk is actually worth it to return to school, because he's a Top 10 pick if he stays healthy and plays up to his ability.

Blackson was as "hot and cold" as Adams was/is. He landed in the 4th round after he showed up to the Combine at 6'4 ~320 with a 4.99-5.02 forty and 30+" vertical. Adams was/is capable of doing the same thing. I think that you're delusional if you believe that Blackson was somehow "more proven" on the field. Their stats after three seasons (since Adams hasn't played his last season yet) are as follows:

Blackson: 24 games played, 20 solo tackles, 28 assisted tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks

Adams: 36 games played, 51 solo tackles, 53 assisted tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks

Sorry can't agree this time

About what?

I've gotten to the point where I don't care what these guys do in the NFL or where they get drafted. My care and concern is more immediate - what they can do for Auburn while they're here? I just don't think Garner is the biggest problem with our multiple season defensive coaching woe's. Lack of coaching stability with the entire defensive staff with coaches coming and going like a rolling stone every year has caused disarray and uncertainty on this unit as a whole.

I'm ready to keep the coaches we have for a few years and see what they can accomplish. At the end of 2020 we'll know if they're in over their heads and critical decisions can once again be made to overhaul the program if needed. But I hope AU sticks with this crew for a while.

I've gotten to the point where I don't care what these guys do in the NFL or where they get drafted. My care and concern is more immediate - what they can do for Auburn while they're here? I just don't think Garner is the biggest problem with our multiple season defensive coaching woe's. Lack of coaching stability with the entire defensive staff with coaches coming and going like a rolling stone every year has caused disarray and uncertainty on this unit as a whole.

I'm ready to keep the coaches we have for a few years and see what they can accomplish. At the end of 2020 we'll know if they're in over their heads and critical decisions can once again be made to overhaul the program if needed. But I hope AU sticks with this crew for a while.

You win the internet today..great post.

All Garner.

You are wrong, but OK...and I don't even like Garner.

You're nuts if you think that an NFL team doesn't take a clear 1st round talent (Lawson) in the 3rd round, regardless of how many games he has played. Too much upside there in a hard-working/high-character package. Just like how Dorial Green-Beckham still landed in the 2nd round with ~one season of performance and a million off-field concerns. He didn't even play a single down for Oklahoma and still landed in the 2nd round. Talent wins out, always. Lawson has abused Laremy Tunsil, who would have likely gone 1st overall before all the off-field s*** hit him, on several plays. He also threw Cyrus Kouandjio around like a rag-doll. You know what would have happened had he declared last season? He would have shown up to the Combine looking freakish in underwear and then ran a ~4.6 at 250+ pounds. The "1.5 seasons played in 3 years" becomes an afterthought at that point, especially in the 3rd round wherein you're hardly guaranteed to get an NFL performer anyway. He returned to school because Lawson is a competitor who obviously isn't satisfied with how his college career has unfolded. He's one of the few guys wherein the risk is actually worth it to return to school, because he's a Top 10 pick if he stays healthy and plays up to his ability.

Blackson was as "hot and cold" as Adams was/is. He landed in the 4th round after he showed up to the Combine at 6'4 ~320 with a 4.99-5.02 forty and 30+" vertical. Adams was/is capable of doing the same thing. I think that you're delusional if you believe that Blackson was somehow "more proven" on the field. Their stats after three seasons (since Adams hasn't played his last season yet) are as follows:

Blackson: 24 games played, 20 solo tackles, 28 assisted tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks

Adams: 36 games played, 51 solo tackles, 53 assisted tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks

I think during the draft is when we agree the most. Most of these guys are horrible when the draft come up. Put too much faith in stats when the NFL really doesn't care that much

Archived