QB targets now...

steeleagle

QB recruiting under Gus is causing concern. I hope he can get this figured out

Cam, Marshall, JJ, Sean White and Barrett are about as good a group of QB prospects as anybody has recruited over the past several years. I think he's got it figured out.

Should have clarified highschool QB recruiting under Gus has been a concern. JJ SW and Barret have yet to be successful at AU. Until they are gus' ability to bring in successful QBs will and should be questioned. If he had it figured out then why was QB play awful last year and why are we are going into this year not knowing who are QB will be? Sitting here and hoping a guy who couldn't start for his juco team will come in and be the answer is beyond reaching imo

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think Gus may have been holding back, just a little on JFiii during A-Day?

Read option wise yes. That's why they hard orange jerseys on. Throwing wise....Suire, Gus said go out there and throw off target so people will wonder why I took you.

Even if Gus told him to sandbag, and I knew that while watching the game, I'd still feel very worried him. I remember watching the game and seeing JF3 getting tackled hard on the sideline and going down hard. I have to wonder if he has the innate ability to avoid big hits.

Well what could get him killed is liking the hits. If you watch his film again you will see he likes to try to run over people instead of avoiding the contact. And my throwing wise statement was sarcasm trying to lighten things up a bit.

He needs to stop trying to run over people with his height and weight lol. He will end up doing the mettenberger crawl.

As usual, I agree with Mikey. All of these guys were highly recruited prospects that chose AU because of the efforts of our coaching staff to get them here. I don't think recruiting is the issue.

IMHO, Our issues at QB are:

1. We haven't been consistent in offensive philosophy concerning the QB position (Pro style or DT?) Lets make up our mind and roll with it!

2. There is no objective way to tell how a QB will adjust from HS to SEC. This problem is not exclusive to AU at all!

3. QB development. For whatever reason (it's been debated endlessly on this board) some of our QBs haven't developed their skills to reach their potential. (JJ and KF)

4. Injuries. Another problem that affects everyone. (TQ, and to a lesser extent SW)

Even Keihl Frazier isn't a great comparison. He was a true freshman in Gus's last year as an OC. True freshman QBs that make a positive impact in this league are few and far between. Then he fell apart under Loeffler. Gus couldn't undo what had been done and got Nick Marshall. The rest is history and Frazier transferred after 2013 knowing he wasn't going to beat out Nick. Seems hard to point at Gus for not developing KF when he wasn't here his sophomore year while he had his confidence crushed and couldn't fix it in the months prior to the 2013 season.

As usual, I agree with Mikey. All of these guys were highly recruited prospects that chose AU because of the efforts of our coaching staff to get them here. I don't think recruiting is the issue.

1. We haven't been consistent in offensive philosophy concerning the QB position (Pro style or DT?) Lets make up our mind and roll with it!

2. There is no objective way to tell how a QB will adjust from HS to SEC. This problem is not exclusive to AU at all!

3. QB development. For whatever reason (it's been debated endlessly on this board) some of our QBs haven't developed their skills to reach their potential. (JJ and KF)

4. Injuries. Another problem that affects everyone. (TQ, and to a lesser extent SW)

Good post and agree.

Good post and I agree. Just think if JJ could have handled the mental aspects of being the starter, the convo would have been totally different re Gus. But JJ couldn't handle it so here we are. Maybe there needs to be more emphasis on the mental aspects of a QB recruit's ability to handle stress and leadership. To that point, it always seemed like JJ and KF had something in common.

I could be wrong but they both 'appeared' to have somewhat of a passive personality. Compare that to NM, who was quiet but he was as far from being passive as you can get. He had that stone cold killer instinct and never showed fear. Stress didn't effect his ability to perform, in fact he thrived on it. Cam was the same way albeit with an outgoing demeanor. It may be the single most important factor in predicting a QB's ability to perform and lead his team.

Good post and I agree. Just think if JJ could have handled the mental aspects of being the starter, the convo would have been totally different re Gus. But JJ couldn't handle it so here we are. Maybe there needs to be more emphasis on the mental aspects of a QB recruit's ability to handle stress and leadership. To that point, it always seemed like JJ and KF had something in common.

I could be wrong but they both 'appeared' to have somewhat of a passive personality. Compare that to NM, who was quiet but he was as far from being passive as you can get. He had that stone cold killer instinct and never showed fear. Stress didn't effect his ability to perform, in fact he thrived on it. Cam was the same way albeit with an outgoing demeanor. It may be the single most important factor in predicting a QB's ability to perform and lead his team.

Ironman, This is exactly what I think and I would add KB to the mix. All 3 seemed anxious and out of control once they were in live action. NM seemed to thrive on it and no matter the circumstance, his demeanor never seemed to change.

Then he fell apart under Loeffler. Gus couldn't undo what had been done and got Nick Marshall. The rest is history and Frazier transferred after 2013 knowing he wasn't going to beat out Nick. Seems hard to point at Gus for not developing KF when he wasn't here his sophomore year while he had his confidence crushed and couldn't fix it in the months prior to the 2013 season.

Gus wouldn't have fixed Frazier's colossal problems regardless. The thought of throwing all of the blame on Loeffler is comical. Frazier just sucked. What makes you think that it would have been any different under Gus?

I think in most QB cases, and now that includes JJ as in the past, KF, it's their ability to make quick decisions and execute and a consistent high level. When JJ, was FR, and SO, when he came in it was just to spell someone or do mop up, and basically he threw passes that he didnt have to do much reading of the field.

It also has to do with, what will a QB do when the play breaks down. KF was slow to realize a pass rush, and was not that quick enough to know how to elude pressure. JJ, it seems, feels he HAS to get rid of the ball, and will throw it not seeing where the underneath coverage is, or how the DBs have shifted. HE feels he can gun it to a WR.

Both, after making mistakes, then are less confident, and either hesitate further or continue to add to their mistakes.

I think Marshall, read the plays very well, and had the arm to get it their quickly too.

Sean White has the ability, I think to read the defense, quickly, and make better decisions. what he lacks is arm strength.

This year will be the determining year for him to be the leader at QB or fall back into a backup role, or try to transfer where he can succeed at a smaller school.

As to JFIII, who knows. He will do excitiing things running from QB, but none of us know how he will improve at passing. He doesnt seem to have consistent throwing skills, and we know that will only lead to INTs again.

Then he fell apart under Loeffler. Gus couldn't undo what had been done and got Nick Marshall. The rest is history and Frazier transferred after 2013 knowing he wasn't going to beat out Nick. Seems hard to point at Gus for not developing KF when he wasn't here his sophomore year while he had his confidence crushed and couldn't fix it in the months prior to the 2013 season.

Gus wouldn't have fixed Frazier's colossal problems regardless. The thought of throwing all of the blame on Loeffler is comical. Frazier just sucked. What makes you think that it would have been any different under Gus?

I was just keeping it in the "which coach is responsible for KF" line of thinking being employed here. The post I responded to seemed to lay KF at Gus's feet as another evidence of his QB development "problem." I don't think it would have been any different. Some kids just don't make the jump to the SEC no matter how talented or highly rated they were in HS.

Do you think Gus may have been holding back, just a little on JFiii during A-Day?

Hope Gus was holding a bunch back during A-Day. JF3 can run the ball. Maybe better than Marshall. But JF3's passing is not good.

Can't be holding back. JF3 one-hopped a ball to a receiver 5 yards away, and floated another into tight coverage. Not good. Hopefully Gus is really good at teaching basic mechanics.

Cam, Marshall, JJ, Sean White and Barrett are about as good a group of QB prospects as anybody has recruited over the past several years. I think he's got it figured out.

Lol at putting Barrett and Sean White and his lone TD in the same breath as two Auburn legends. Two legends that arrived by the juco train at that.

LOL at your failure to read. The guy said QB recruiting was a problem. Barrett and White were both top-level recruits. Nobody was talking about college accomplishments. Those two haven't had the opportunity to excel or fail yet.

Lol at putting Barrett and Sean White and his lone TD in the same breath as two Auburn legends. Two legends that arrived by the juco train at that.

LOL at your failure to read. The guy said QB recruiting was a problem. Barrett and White were both top-level recruits. Nobody was talking about college accomplishments. Those two haven't had the opportunity to excel or fail yet.

They were not top level recruits. Top level recruits are like Jacob Eason, Sean Patterson probably going to be Joey Gatewood. And SW has had the opportunity already to excel... he cashed in on one TD in five starts.

They were not top level recruits. Top level recruits are like Jacob Eason, Sean Patterson probably going to be Joey Gatewood. And SW has had the opportunity already to excel... he cashed in on one TD in five starts.

White has played a few games, some injured, as a RS frosh. Barrett isn't even here yet. Neither has had any sort of chance to succeed or fail yet. As to what constitutes a top-level QB recruit, your opinion is at odds with most of the world.

White has played a few games, some injured, as a RS frosh. Barrett isn't even here yet. Neither has had any sort of chance to succeed or fail yet. As to what constitutes a top-level QB recruit, your opinion is at odds with most of the world.

White had every chance to succeed as a redshirt freshman...Other players like Manziel and Winston did at that point.

Sean White was the number 8 pocket passer out of high school. Only three SEC offers including Auburn.

It is still JUNE....right??

Depends on your definitions. I consider Top tier to be 4*s or top 50 overall recruits. That's not JJ, Sean, Woody, or even Joey yet for that matter. However they were/are all 4* recruits & to me any recruit that is a composite 4* in final rankings is an upper , not top, tier recruit. JJ was the #14 QB in 2013, Sean was #11 in 2015. Woody was 17 in 2016. Joey is borderline right now #7 QB, #3 Dual, #63 overall.

Also barring something crazy happening his Sr year JJ was an eval miss & there is no way to sugar coat or spin that.

Does anybody think that that CN/NM were so clutch due to some of the struggles they had to persevere through? Maybe it shaped them & helped them handle pressure. Helped their mindset. I mean it's just a thought.

No one said Gus "found" Cam. Mikey said Gus "recruited" Cam. I see a difference there.

Have to find the player first to recruit them. Cam was not on the AU radar till Luper saw Cam while watching a RB on the team.

Now wait, you're implying that getting a recruit to commit now doesn't even count unless you were the one who's desk his film came across first? You should start the I Hate Gus club (of course you can't get credit for it though since I gave you the idea...) :lmao:

Does anybody think that that CN/NM were so clutch due to some of the struggles they had to persevere through? Maybe it shaped them & helped them handle pressure. Helped their mindset. I mean it's just a thought.

Excellent possibility. Kiehl, Jeremy and Sean would certainly seem to be a different breed of cat compared to those 2.

And ellitor, I think you typed a 4 when you meant type a 5 in your second sentence above...

White had every chance to succeed as a redshirt freshman.

For that statement to be fully true it requires the staff to fully believe in him which they did not & may still not.

Depends on your definitions. I consider Top tier to be 4*s or top 50 overall targets. That's not JJ, Sean, Woody, or even Joey yet for that matter. However they were/are all 4* recruits & to me any recruit that is a composite 4* in final rankings is an upper , not top, tier recruit. JJ was the #14 QB in 2013, Sean was #11 in 2015. Woody was 17 in 2016. Joey is borderline right now #7 QB, #3 Dual, #63 overall.

Also barring something crazy happening his Sr year JJ was an eval miss & there is no way to sugar coat or spin that.

That sounds about right. If I remember correctly people were applauding Gus for finding Sean when he was largely an unknown after he won one of those competitions. If that's the case, it's not like we were fighting with 50 other universities to get our foot in his door.

For that statement to be fully true it requires the staff to fully believe in him which they did not & may still not.

That's very true. They could have opened up the playbook more for him. The coaches heading to get JF3 after the season makes me believe they're still not sold on him.

I'm a Sean defender, but if they didn't believe in him then that may be on him. But he was surrounded by inexperience and then with that whole injury thing...

I'm a Sean defender, but if they didn't believe in him then that may be on him. But he was surrounded by inexperience and then with that whole injury thing...

In addition to no prior starting experience. Or any playing experience for that matter.

Sheesh. I don''t get the hate on White. If he were a two starter and under performed his third year, then yes, rake him over the coals. But that is not the case here.

Archived