QB targets now...

steeleagle

White had every chance to succeed as a redshirt freshman.

For that statement to be fully true it requires the staff to fully believe in him which they did not & may still not.

I'm a Sean defender, but if they didn't believe in him then that may be on him. But he was surrounded by inexperience and then with that whole injury thing...

In addition to no prior starting experience. Or any playing experience for that matter.

Sheesh. I don''t get the hate on White. If he were a two starter and under performed his third year, then yes, rake him over the coals. But that is not the case here.

who is raking him over the coals? If somebody says White didn't have a chance to succeed, they're wrong because he started five games. He played great between the twenties but he mostly gave the keys to Carlson in the Redzone. Redshirt freshmen have succeeded before and they obviously didn't have prior experience either. So to say SW didn't have the chance to succeed is hogwash.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For that statement to be fully true it requires the staff to fully believe in him which they did not & may still not.

I'm a Sean defender, but if they didn't believe in him then that may be on him. But he was surrounded by inexperience and then with that whole injury thing...

In addition to no prior starting experience. Or any playing experience for that matter.

Sheesh. I don''t get the hate on White. If he were a two starter and under performed his third year, then yes, rake him over the coals. But that is not the case here.

who is raking him over the coals? If somebody says White didn't have a chance to succeed, they're wrong because he started five games. He played great between the twenties but he mostly gave the keys to Carlson in the Redzone. Redshirt freshmen have succeeded before and they obviously didn't have prior experience either. So to say SW didn't have the chance to succeed is hogwash.

Saying that he had every chance to succeed but did not could be considered raking him over the coals.

Johnny Manziel and Jameis Winston are outliers. They're phenoms. They're Heisman Trophy winners. They are an almost impossible standard, as mcgufcm correctly pointed out elsewhere. And they probably had a lot more going for them their freshmen years than Sean did. His left tackle was the #2 overall pick immediately following his freshman year. His RB went in the 2nd round. He had a 4 year starter at WR who was likely the best in A&M history, ran a 4.34 and only got drafted low because of concussion problems. Jameis Winston had a WR go in the first round. His RB went in the 4th round and was one of the best RBs in the NFL last year. And his center went in the 4th round. You might remember that ours had never played the position before 2015. He was the same one who had 2 false starts in MSU territory in one of Sean White's 5 starts.

Saying that he had every chance to succeed but did not could be considered raking him over the coals.

Johnny Manziel and Jameis Winston are outliers. They're phenoms. They're Heisman Trophy winners. They are an almost impossible standard, as mcgufcm correctly pointed out elsewhere. And they probably had a lot more going for them their freshmen years than Sean did. His left tackle was the #2 overall pick immediately following his freshman year. His RB went in the 2nd round. He had a 4 year starter at WR who was likely the best in A&M history, ran a 4.34 and only got drafted low because of concussion problems. Jameis Winston had a WR go in the first round. His RB went in the 4th round and was one of the best RBs in the NFL last year. And his center went in the 4th round. You might remember that ours had never played the position before 2015. He was the same one who had 2 false starts in MSU territory in one of Sean White's 5 starts.

If saying he had every chance to succeed could be considered raking him over coals then maybe I should have been born with the unoffended generations because I'm never going to stop calling it the way I see it. SW had plenty of time in Gus's system and plenty of talent at his disposal. I'm not saying SW had to win the heisman, or the NC. I'm pointin at others that did have success at the highest level. It's been done by others that didn't win the Heisman but had other, more minuscule levels of success.

Some people can say that SW did well last season as a starter, some will say he didn't because he only had one TD pass in a handful of games but at the very least, SW had his chances.

If saying he had every chance to succeed could be considered raking him over coals then maybe I should have been born with the unoffended generations because I'm never going to stop calling it the way I see it. SW had plenty of time in Gus's system and plenty of talent at his disposal. I'm not saying SW had to win the heisman, or the NC. I'm pointin at others that did have success at the highest level. It's been done by others that didn't win the Heisman but had other, more minuscule levels of success.

Some people can say that SW did well last season as a starter, some will say he didn't because he only had one TD pass in a handful of games at the very least, SW had his chances.

I don't know. Seems to me the talent at his disposal let him down quite often, what with all those dropped balls and such. Gus/Rhett also set him up for failure quite a few times with their bone-headed play calling. Could Sean have been better? Yeah. But can you say a grand total of five games in his first year of action while being injured for half of it, combined with our inconsistent receivers and head scratching calls (like having him do the zone read...sometimes while injured) is enough to say he had every opportunity to succeed? Personally, I think it says the opposite.

EDIT: and yet, in spite of all of that, didn't he still get 250 passing yards per game or something like that? I say we give him some games with good play calling, planning, and these new receivers before we pass judgment on him

Hell, starting one game is all that's necessary to be called a chance. How many chances is he supposed to get? He could've easily shown that he should be the clear cut front runner for this upcoming fall if he played well against Memphis. He threw the ball 27 times or more in four different ballgames. If that's not getting your chance to play, then what is?

Hell, starting one game is all that's necessary to be called a chance. How many chances is he supposed to get? He could've easily shown that he should be the clear cut front runner for this upcoming fall if he played well against Memphis. He threw the ball 27 times or more in four different ballgames. If that's not getting your chance to play, then what is?

Right, Sean was awful in that Memphis game. He made some really bad decisions. I hope he has improved tremendously this offseason.

Every QB recruiting thread goes this route. We start off talking about recruits. Then it turns into a debate on JJ and SW.

Recruiting... I think if we win, they will come. We may see someone not on the radar show up later.

We just need to win.

That's very true. They could have opened up the playbook more for him. The coaches heading to get JF3 after the season makes me believe they're still not sold on him.

Wth does this mean? Have the coaches believe in him? You guys crack me up

That's very true. They could have opened up the playbook more for him. The coaches heading to get JF3 after the season makes me believe they're still not sold on him.

Where is the confusion?

You make your coaches believe. It's not a you didn't play well because the coaches didn't believe in you. I've seen every excuse in the book made for sw. Fact is he has to play better and stop playing it safe in games. Seem like as he became more comfortable his decisions actually became worse.

JJ just sucks, but it's funny none of the other player excuses are used with him. He's like sw in reverse. He throws great deep balls but little 5 yard passes who knows what the hell he's going to do?

Gus needs to play his best players like Robinson instead of his favorite players and that will help everybody out. EVERYBODY just have to play better bottom line.

And the arky game was bad I'll give you that. But the dropped passes thing is the most played out excuse. I'm tired of hearing it

"Every QB recruiting thread goes this route. We start off talking about recruits. Then it turns into a debate on JJ and SW.

Recruiting... I think if we win, they will come. We may see someone not on the radar show up later.

We just need to win."

^^^This.

You make your coaches believe. It's not a you didn't play well because the coaches didn't believe in you. I've seen every excuse in the book made for sw. Fact is he has to play better and stop playing it safe in games. Seem like as he became more comfortable his decisions actually became worse.

JJ just sucks, but it's funny none of the other player excuses are used with him. He's like sw in reverse. He throws great deep balls but little 5 yard passes who knows what the hell he's going to do?

Gus needs to play his best players like Robinson instead of his favorite players and that will help everybody out. EVERYBODY just have to play better bottom line.

And the arky game was bad I'll give you that. But the dropped passes thing is the most played out excuse. I'm tired of hearing it

Come on man if you've read this thread lately you'd see that I'm not making any excuses for him either. With that said, I didn't see very many long passes until right around the time he got hurt. If did seem like Gus was easing him in.

Right, Sean was awful in that Memphis game. He made some really bad decisions. I hope he has improved tremendously this offseason.

He was still injured. Anything that happened after the Arky game should not be reflected on him.

Go back & watch the Miss St game. They were overly protective of him, calling all the plays with in a 10 yard radius. They did not start opening things up for him til the Arky & UK games.

Go back & watch the Miss St game. They were overly protective of him, calling all the plays with in a 10 yard radius. They did not start opening things up for him til the Arky & UK games.

If SW plays the entire season like he did against UK, we will be in great shape and will have a very successful season.

Neither QB had nearly enough talent around him. Nothing but freshmen at HB and TE. Duke Williams. A center who didn't even learn the position until late in the season. WRs who were, uh, not super dependable. Jovon Robinson... on the bench. Peyton Barber... not drafted. Roc Thomas... in the tub and then not on the team. Kerryon Johnson, another true freshman, was a bright spot. Feel free to keep calling that plenty of talent, but it doesn't make you look terribly observant or bright.

5 starts with that is enough. Ok. Sure. Again, neither observant nor bright. I won't bother listing NFL QBs who started off worse with better. Good lord.

Cole, the difference with JJ is that he threw terrrrrrrible picks repeatedly against bad defenses under no pressure. Overall his play wasn't that much worse but he made several mistakes that were pretty shocking for any QB.

If SW plays the entire season like he did against UK, we will be in great shape and will have a very successful season.

Lol if we could play Kentucky every game we'd be champions

Well I expected it to be like that his first game. You go back and look as well because he threw two other passes that should've been picked but were dropped. I imagine they didn't want to ruin his confidence and once they started playing against such defenses they opened it up

Neither QB had nearly enough talent around him. Nothing but freshmen at HB and TE. Duke Williams. A center who didn't even learn the position until late in the season. WRs who were, uh, not super dependable. Jovon Robinson... on the bench. Peyton Barber... not drafted. Roc Thomas... in the tub and then not on the team. Kerryon Johnson, another true freshman, was a bright spot. Feel free to keep calling that plenty of talent, but it doesn't make you look terribly observant or bright.

5 starts with that is enough. Ok. Sure. Again, neither observant nor bright. I won't bother listing NFL QBs who started off worse with better. Good lord.

Cole, the difference with JJ is that he threw terrrrrrrible picks repeatedly against bad defenses under no pressure. Overall his play wasn't that much worse but he made several mistakes that were pretty shocking for any QB.

I agree he sucked. But I'm saying he sucked against reasonable defenses, well at least two games, sw killed the suck such defenses then got killed against other defenses but then they say you can't count that....did you see the passes he threw against Memphis? What pick did you see that you thought if he had a little more juice on that it would be ok? His decisions looked like JJ's. Some of his in miss st did too and if you remember I questioned the coaches and everybody got mad.

Let's be real everything I said early everybody got mad at me about because it was early. By the end of the season though I was right....But once again since I saw it too early I deserved it...smh

Come on man if you've read this thread lately you'd see that I'm not making any excuses for him either. With that said, I didn't see very many long passes until right around the time he got hurt. If did seem like Gus was easing him in.

I wasn't saying you made excuses, I was just laughing at you agreeing with the coaches didn't believe in him excuse.

Gus did pick JFIII over Jerod Evans, though. So there's that.

(Okay, I don't know if that's how it actually went down or which one of those guys will end up being the better QB, buuuuuut...)

That is how it went down. Gus makes the calls on the QBs we offer & take.

Fact is, we (typical AU fans) don't know a thing about Jerod Evans or why we didn't sign him...could be a host of reasons.

Hell judging by the A-day, we as fans don't know know why we signed JF3 either. Hopefully it's for a whole host of reasons that were not shown on A-day.

Maybe because he's an athlete who should see the field somewhere .

JF3 was recruited to play QB in 2016.

That was the hope, but he provides other options.

Gus did pick JFIII over Jerod Evans, though. So there's that.

(Okay, I don't know if that's how it actually went down or which one of those guys will end up being the better QB, buuuuuut...)

That is how it went down. Gus makes the calls on the QBs we offer & take.

Fact is, we (typical AU fans) don't know a thing about Jerod Evans or why we didn't sign him...could be a host of reasons.

Hell judging by the A-day, we as fans don't know know why we signed JF3 either. Hopefully it's for a whole host of reasons that were not shown on A-day.

Maybe because he's an athlete who should see the field somewhere .

JF3 was recruited to play QB in 2016.

That was the hope, but he provides other options.

Staff has not remotely thought about other options with him though.

Archived