Clemson fan & 1st time poster

Just wanna say hello to everyone and hope all is well with you guys. Hoping to come on here and generate some good friendly conversations about our up & coming game on Sept the 3rd.

Most of you would probably think that because our coach is a Bama grad, we would be pro-tide when it comes to the SEC. But I assure you, with MOST Clemson fans, that's not the case at all. In regards to the SEC, our only real concern most years are with those pesky SC Gamecocks. So I promise you, I am not a Bama fan looking for a dig-lol

Because I don't know a lot about your 2016 team, I was hoping to find out what some of you think leading into this season, and what your expectations were-realistically.. So I will start by telling you about our team and where we feel we are heading into the Auburn match-up.

I'm sure you know our team starts with the great DeShaun Watson (#4 QB) -but there's not even any reason to go into that. You've probably heard all about him. So I won't talk much about him.  But where I will start, is my areas of concern, and I think it starts on special teams. This is the one area most media experts will tell you CLEMSON has to improve if we're to get back into the NC picture. Especially kick-offs and returns. Although, we do have one of the best field goal kickers in the country. He does struggle with putting the ball in the end zone. (coverage too)

The next area that concerns me deeply; our secondary!  We loss 4 players in the secondary to the NFL, and replacing them will be a high priority. We do have a lot of confidence in returning SR, Cordrea Tankersley #25/Corner. But outside of him, we will be asking the younger guys to step up at both safety and corner. I can see this entire group really be tested early and often.

With our front 7, we do have some youth. But a lot of talent as well. And if the secondary can hold up, we'll be fine. And I really like our D-tackles, as we may be as deep there as we have been in many years. I think we are just re-loading on the DL.

Our offense, as I stated some above will be as good if not better than we have ever seen. And early on, we may need it to be, right.  Wide receivers are deep and talented, as well as our RBs. Lead by #9/Rb WAYNE GALLMAN, whos a very under-rated back who plays with a very high motor.

If there was a small area of concern for me ( on offense)- it would be depth at O-line, especially the tackles.

So moving forward, my expectations for the 016 season is we CAN get back to the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. But things could be a little tougher this year, as we won't catch anyone by surprise. We will get everyone's best shot and circled game. So we need to be prepared right off the bat. And unlike some, I think this game with you guys are a real concern. And one of the top 2 toughest games we face all year, that's right. I see a shoot out game, where both offenses are making plays, and the defense MIGHT be on their heels some. The team that can NOT turn the ball over, and make a couple late game plays may be the team that comes out on top. It wouldn't surprise me to see 80+ points total for both schools.

Anyways, that's where we are. Hope to hear some of you guys thoughts too. And regardless of who wins here this one. Do me a favor....

BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF BAMA, please. :)

sorry for typos

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the board. No bad will here towards Clemson. We are only sorely disappointed you guys weren't able to beat the Bammers last year. Also, many Auburn fans feel like our universities share a lot in common. 

As for our team. Honestly there are a lot of unknowns.  We don't who our starting QB will be. There is a big debate among Auburn fans whether it should be John Franklin III,  a guy who is extremely fast but can't hit a broad side of a barn with a throw. Our other QB,  Sean White won the elite 11 competition several years ago but was moderately disappointing in his first year as a starter,  albeit he was playing with a knee injury throughout most of the year.

We have the talent to be a top ten team if we play to our potential. The strength of our team is probably the same as yours. ..Our d line.  Full of 5 star players including a likely top 10 draft pick in Carl Lawson. We also have one of the best corners in all of college football in Carlton Davis but no one knows how much he will play since he was arrested of weed possession in the offseason. 

A lot of serious question marks. There is a Clemson thread that you should read. The gist is that very few rational Auburn fans believe we will beat Clemson. But given that it will be a home game, you never know what might happen.  

Our special teams should be really good.  Auburn fans believe we have the best kicker in the country who was previously the number one kicker recruit two years ago. 

Our Oline should be really good, but they haven't played together and lack chemistry. Will be a tough way to start playing against a tough Oline. We have an elite running back in Jovon Robinson and a bunch of elite true freshman wide receivers,  but our veteran wide receivers won't be scaring anyone. 

There you go. Good luck and thanks for joining the discussion. 

Doesn't surprise anyone you guys aren't pro- Updyke, surely you all have more class than that. :Sing:

On another note, Clemson has lost a lot from last season but is still obviously loaded and should be a factor. Getting to the title game back to back years though is really tough, we know. Definitely have to take it game by game. Outside of playing us, I wish you guys nothing but the best. Fall can't get here quick enough.  

Thanks for the replies so far....

And I a sure you, Swinney's ties to Bama do not reflect MOST Clemson fans loyalties. But anyways...

Like Thaiopher stated, with the game at Auburn, I think that gives you guys a fair shot at winning. I can see your players coming out really fired up, and we

will need to play well early on and take your crowd out. 

With Carl Lawson, I know of him very well. And followed his HS recruitment---thought Clemson would land him. Anyways, how about your LINEBACKERS?

3 minutes ago, Prime T. Tiger said:

Thanks for the replies so far....

And I a sure you, Swinney's ties to Bama do not reflect MOST Clemson fans loyalties. But anyways...

Like Thaiopher stated, with the game at Auburn, I think that gives you guys a fair shot at winning. I can see your players coming out really fired up, and we

will need to play well early on and take your crowd out. 

With Carl Lawson, I know of him very well. And followed his HS recruitment---thought Clemson would land him. Anyways, how about your LINEBACKERS?

Our linebackers?  For many years this has been our weakest position but there is reason for optimism this year. We have Jeff Holland who is a hybrid LB/DE and Williams is also solid. We also have a fifth year transfer from Illinois who is supposed to be decent. Other than that, not much. 

Glad to have you over for some chatter, Prime! I'm a novelty on this board, my wife and her family are all Clemson fans (and mostly graduates, although she ended up at USCe because of scholarships), and I pull for those Tigers about as hard as I do for these. Plus, Death Valley is a GREAT gameday.

As far as us for this year - topher nailed it pretty well. Honestly, QB is the biggest heartburn for us coming into this year because our top two candidates are so vastly different. We don't know if John Franklin III is going to be lightning in a bottle like Nick Marshall was or if Sean White will be the second coming of Aaron Murray (great arm, pretty deceptive running skills, but primarily a passer).  We don't have a clue what the offense is going to look like at the very basic level so it's hard to have a feel for what we will be capable of.

We will have a great OL, IMO, and I think our skill players will step up better this year...here's to hoping the new WRs can learn routes and like to block and will see early action. I think a lot of our problems from last year were QBs and WRs not trusting each other (with good reason - but the lack of trust amplified the problems beyond fixing). I also have a feeling that our RBs will be amazing this coming year - much like Clemson, we utilize two backs on the field a lot with one in a speed/sweep/fly role.

I think our defense improvements will carry over. I've admired Kevin Steele for a while (back from his Clemson days, so long as we forget that Orange Bowl debacle...). He has a maturity and humbleness that Will Muschamp did not, and from the reports I've seen the Defense has been responding very well to the contrast in coaching styles. Part of the issue with AU's defense has been the constant churn of coaches and philosophy, and Steele has changed his terminology to try to bring some continuity.

I hope our punting is better, although I don't think last year was as bad as many here do. That said, we have probably one of the top 3 placekickers in the country in Daniel Carlson. I hope he doesn't have to win us many games, but I'm not sure there's many others I'd rather have in his spot if he has to.

We have some solid players on both sides of the ball. We need a few on offense to step up and be difference makers in 2016. One needs to be behind center, at least one or two WR's and someone in the backfield to help out Jovon.  I'm cautiously optimistic about our young LB's. 

I agree with most everyone's assessment but I think Tre Williams at linebacker will be someone to watch! Good luck after September 3rd PRIME!!!!

Hi Prime, and welcome. I'm looking forward to our D line, one of our strengths, against your O line, and if they can do anything to keep DeShaun in the pocket and pressure him. A tall order for sure given DeShaun's escapability and quick release.

8 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

Glad to have you over for some chatter, Prime! I'm a novelty on this board, my wife and her family are all Clemson fans (and mostly graduates, although she ended up at USCe because of scholarships), and I pull for those Tigers about as hard as I do for these. Plus, Death Valley is a GREAT gameday.

As far as us for this year - topher nailed it pretty well. Honestly, QB is the biggest heartburn for us coming into this year because our top two candidates are so vastly different. We don't know if John Franklin III is going to be lightning in a bottle like Nick Marshall was or if Sean White will be the second coming of Aaron Murray (great arm, pretty deceptive running skills, but primarily a passer).  We don't have a clue what the offense is going to look like at the very basic level so it's hard to have a feel for what we will be capable of.

We will have a great OL, IMO, and I think our skill players will step up better this year...here's to hoping the new WRs can learn routes and like to block and will see early action. I think a lot of our problems from last year were QBs and WRs not trusting each other (with good reason - but the lack of trust amplified the problems beyond fixing). I also have a feeling that our RBs will be amazing this coming year - much like Clemson, we utilize two backs on the field a lot with one in a speed/sweep/fly role.

I think our defense improvements will carry over. I've admired Kevin Steele for a while (back from his Clemson days, so long as we forget that Orange Bowl debacle...). He has a maturity and humbleness that Will Muschamp did not, and from the reports I've seen the Defense has been responding very well to the contrast in coaching styles. Part of the issue with AU's defense has been the constant churn of coaches and philosophy, and Steele has changed his terminology to try to bring some continuity.

I hope our punting is better, although I don't think last year was as bad as many here do. That said, we have probably one of the top 3 placekickers in the country in Daniel Carlson. I hope he doesn't have to win us many games, but I'm not sure there's many others I'd rather have in his spot if he has to.

This is a very good assessment. I think it'll be a very tight game for at least three quarters.

52 minutes ago, DAG said:

Welcome, it is good to see opposing fanbases join over for some friendly banter. 

Agreed. Although I have to say, goemaw.com has got to be hands down my favorite opposing team's message board. I wish we would play Kansas State again just to have another excuse to go shoot the s**** with those guys again. 

If we win the game, we win it in the trenches (on both sides). 

If our dline can man handle the inexperience on the Clemson online, we can slow them down and possibly cause some turnovers. We've definitely got the personnel to do so. Seems like the making of an extremely deadly pass rush and interior if everything pans out the way fans are hoping. 

If our oline can give SW enough time to expose their secondary AND OR allow jf3 and Jovon Robinsom to get a solid ground game going, we'll be in it. 

Once again, let me thank you for your hospitality, each poster.

I have read that several of you believe you have question marks at QB. And in this day and age of football, and with the offense that both of our teams run. That has got to have you guys really concern, no. Most teams require so much from the player behind center, it's hard to win without having the right guy back there. Do you believe your're strong enough at OL and RB to give who ever the starting QB will be time to settle in? "AND"..... what's your win loss prediction on the season, and you don't have to go game by game, if you don't want to.

As I stated above , my biggest concern on offense with CLEMSON is just finding depth at O-line. Our starting 5 has the potential to be very good, but an injury or 2 might not void well. Especially at tackle* - The good thing is, we have a very mobile quarterback that can get himself out of trouble when he needs to.

Went to Atlanta a few years ago and had a blast listening to the Bowden rant after they lost.  Before that, I remember the Great Pumpkin strolling the sidelines!  Glad Clemson found a quality replacement to bring them to the forefront of the ACC and hope we meet Tiger-to-Tiger for years to come!

1 hour ago, Prime T. Tiger said:

Once again, let me thank you for your hospitality, each poster.

I have read that several of you believe you have question marks at QB. And in this day and age of football, and with the offense that both of our teams run. That has got to have you guys really concern, no. Most teams require so much from the player behind center, it's hard to win without having the right guy back there. Do you believe your're strong enough at OL and RB to give who ever the starting QB will be time to settle in? "AND"..... what's your win loss prediction on the season, and you don't have to go game by game, if you don't want to.

As I stated above , my biggest concern on offense with CLEMSON is just finding depth at O-line. Our starting 5 has the potential to be very good, but an injury or 2 might not void well. Especially at tackle* - The good thing is, we have a very mobile quarterback that can get himself out of trouble when he needs to.

No, because we have John Franklin III. Welcome to the board, looking forward to Sep. 3

A QB should emerge, this coaching staff has built some good ones recently. NOW: Our last all-SEC linebacker was Josh Bynes in 2010. Tre Williams and some others have promise but until I actually see winning LB play I'm not optimistic about us holding any quality team below 30 points. The D-line may be fine, but if the linebackers don't fill their gaps and make tackles that doesn't matter much. (see last season for details) Can we allow Clemson to score 30+ points and still win? I have my doubts.

About Clemson: Lewis Grizzard called Clemson "Auburn With A Lake". The two schools are very similar and with me being involved in Southeastern Agriculture, I have developed some very good Clemson friends over the years. I usually pull for Clemson when they aren't playing Auburn.

23 hours ago, thaitopher said:

Our linebackers?  For many years this has been our weakest position but there is reason for optimism this year. We have Jeff Holland who is a hybrid LB/DE and Williams is also solid. We also have a fifth year transfer from Illinois who is supposed to be decent. Other than that, not much. 

Will also have Darrell Williams beside Tre' Williams who will be very good 

19 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Will also have Darrell Williams beside Tre' Williams who will be very good 

I think It will actually be TJ Neal Instead but we will soon see.

I follow each of these Tigers pretty close. I grew up in Easley and I have been a fan of Clemson since I was a tike. We followed Clemson through the Charlie Pell and Danny Ford years and if not for a visit to Auburn in 1989 I would have went to Clemson. Instead I made the best decision I could have made and became an Auburn Tiger. As most know here on this board I am still a Clemson fan but not on Sept. 3rd. It's the only time I am not.

I expect a hard fought game and as others have stated it will be won in the trenches. If we (Auburn) can do what I think we can do I believe we will be in it until the final whistle. The losses on defense for Clemson will be noticed more in a first game scenario than if we were playing after a couple of tune ups or games with other opponents. Watson will get his and Gallman will be a tough running back to deal with. He's the best in the ACC in my opinion. But I like our depth at DL and that will help as we try to slow down that powerful CGM/Chad Morris offense (couldn't help it). I expect a game like 38-35 or maybe 42-38.

Hope everyone is doing well....:jossun:

What are your expectations on Auburn's season/ And..I have to ask~~> Do you guys like "Tigers" or War-Eagle better--or either?

How did the contrast come about?

9 minutes ago, Prime T. Tiger said:

Hope everyone is doing well....:jossun:

What are your expectations on Auburn's season/ And..I have to ask~~> Do you guys like "Tigers" or War-Eagle better--or either?

How did the contrast come about?

I'll field question #2.  It's Tigers. War Eagle is our battle cry, not our mascot. 

The most prominent story is about a soldier bringing his pet eagle to a game we were loosing and the eagle flying around the field rallying the team to victory.  A War Eagle is actually what Native Americans call adolescent golden eagles. because their tail feathers are the white with black tip feathers that the Native Americans wore in battle.

As for question #1... awful to amazing or anywhere in between.

Archived