New SEC Rule Changes

RunInRed

I'm interested to hear WarTiger's take after actually reading the rules.  The sliding player bugs me a lot, because the act of sliding changes the impact point for the defender after they have initiated the hit.  I'm also intrigued about tripping the runner being illegal.

Well RIR stole my thunder.  I have a list I was going to post in a few days concerning the rule changes coming to the game this year. :lol:   RIR beat me to it, so I guess Steve Shaw is speaking at media days today. 

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

Well RIR stole my thunder.  I have a list I was going to post in a few days concerning the rule changes coming to the game this year. :lol:   RIR beat me to it, so I guess Steve Shaw is speaking at media days today. 

Sorry!  Please feel free to add clarity to this thread ... as you noted, the images above were from SEC Media Days ...

Just curious but where is a sliding runner considered to be "down " as far as the advancement of the ball is concerned . 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Just curious but where is a sliding runner considered to be "down " as far as the advancement of the ball is concerned . 

Should be where the slide starts if they are going with the "defenseless player" rule. 

2 hours ago, jared52 said:

Should be where the slide starts if they are going with the "defenseless player" rule. 

What I was thinking...at least where he butt hits the ground but maybe anywhere a part of his torso contacts the ground.......that might cause players to think before taking those last  3 or 4 yards with no risk of contact.  Anyway...something to call more closely IMO.

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

Good question.

This may seem like a very novice question, but what do they mean by "full time out". Do they mean a tv time out length?  I thought they were all 30 seconds (except in the case of tv). 

I don't like the slide rule. The Louisville QB last year looked like he initiated his slide at the same or just as our defender was initiating his tackling effort, yet the defender got a targeting call. I agree that if the QB goes is hitting the turf before you start, it should be called, but how are you supposed to stop when you have already activated the launch sequence so to speak when you are both upright?

1 hour ago, channonc said:

This may seem like a very novice question, but what do they mean by "full time out". Do they mean a tv time out length?  I thought they were all 30 seconds (except in the case of tv). 

Timeouts are 30 seconds (especially tv timeouts) but they added a full time out option and to allow the head coach to indicate which one he wants to be a full timeout.  

Here's the entire rule concerning Length of Timeouts...  Bolded the part that is new in this rule:

Length of Timeouts
ARTICLE 7. a. A charged full team timeout requested by any player or
head coach shall not exceed one minute, 30 seconds (Exception: Rule 3-3-
4-e-3). This includes the 25-second play clock interval.
b. For live-televised games only, a charged team timeout shall be 30
seconds plus the 25-second play clock interval.
However, the head coach may request that one of the allowed three
timeouts in each half be a full timeout. This request should be
communicated to the referee when the timeout request is made to the
officials. The charged team timeout during an extra period (Rule 3-1-
3-h) may be a full timeout, at the request of the head coach.

c. In other than live-televised games, the head coach may request that any
charged team timeout be 30 seconds in duration, plus the 25-second
play clock interval. The head coach indicates this request visually
by touching his hands to his shoulders. The signal must be made
promptly after the timeout is requested.
d. Other timeouts shall be not longer than the referee deems necessary to
fulfill the purpose for which they are declared, including a radio or TV
timeout, but any timeout may be extended by the referee for the benefit
of an injured player (Refer to Appendix A for the guidelines for game
officials to use during a serious on-field player injury).
e. If the team charged with a one-minute, 30-second team timeout wishes
to resume play before the expiration of one minute and its opponent
indicates readiness, the referee will declare the ball ready for play.
f. The length of a referee’s timeout depends on the circumstances of each
timeout.
g. Penalty options must be exercised before a team timeout.
h. The intermission after a safety, try or successful field goal shall be not
more than one minute. It may be extended for radio or television.

The rule is great but the next time there is a "full time out" that only lasts a minute will be the first time in years.   Somehow those 30 second and one minute time outs have begun to last upwards of 2 minutes on a regular basis...but maybe that is just TV games.

The way the NCAA makes crazy rules, don't be shocked if some day the NCAA does away with the kickoff to start each half.

Archived