Ideal QB Situation

tigerbrotha12

Just posted in a separate thread, but figured this had not been discussed in its own thread...

What are your ideal happenings this summer in regards to naming a starting QB, and what the role of the backups are? Which of the four wins the job? Do we go with a multi-QB offense? If Franklin III doesn't cut it as a passer, do we change his position? Maybe Woody Barrett is the freshman savior of Auburn Football? Anything you think will happen in regards to the QB situaiton.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ideally, I'd like to see what passthebiscuits posted in the other thread. That is, Sean White starting with a heavy dose of JFIII. At least to begin, that should give us a good idea of what we will have with both guys. Based upon his skill set alone, I'd like to see JFIII evolve into the full-time starter. Apparently this is what the coaches want as well. 

There are 3 idea situations in absolutely no particular order.

1. John's hard work pays off and he becomes one of the fastest complete QBs to ever play college football.

2. The freshman receivers come in ready to roll and Sean becomes the leader Gus wants him to be. Then John gets to come in and shock the world with his speed from the wildcat/sweep, on appropriate occasions.

3. Jeremy miraculously becomes the QB he was in practice, last year, while on the field, and Gus writes some plays where he and John, combined with Jovon, become a scary three headed monster.

In all of these, the QB is named within the first few days of Fall.  Oh... and Woody sits, learns and enjoys being a freshman.

1. There is no ideal this season in terms of naming a starting QB from this roster. 2. Still leaning to Sean starting while getting heavy doses of JF3. Would not be surprised if JF3 gets the job though. 3. If JF3 is not QB1 then yes. 4. Nope. At the very least JF3 is Gus's red option QB. 6. No. Too much development as a passer needed to be a freshman savior. 

The ideal QB situation was that JJ started two years.... First start being at JH for the Iron Bowl which would have made it easier for a first year quarterback.

Then Sean comes in as a Junior and starts his final two years...With his first Iron Bowl being in JH as well. 

...Well too bad that didn't work out. 

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Sean becomes the leader Gus wants him to be

Just because Sean likes to have a good time does not mean he is not a leader. He's a very vocal motivator of his teammates in the weight room & is always will to throw when his WRs want to do routes. Sure he can be a better leader but most people can.

The good news for AU is the offensive players like & rally behind both Sean & JF3 which means they are both doing something right in terms of leadership.

10 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Ideally, I'd like to see what passthebiscuits posted in the other thread. That is, Sean White starting with a heavy dose of JFIII. At least to begin, that should give us a good idea of what we will have with both guys. Based upon his skill set alone, I'd like to see JFIII evolve into the full-time starter. Apparently this is what the coaches want as well. 

I do not believe the coaches want this. Having one starter and then replacing later on with another means the season is not going good. I believe they would want one starter and things to go well and not have to replace them.

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

1. There is no ideal this season in terms of naming a starting QB from this roster. 2. Still leaning to Sean starting while getting heavy doses of JF3. Would not be surprised if JF3 gets the job though. 3. If JF3 is not QB1 then yes. 4. Nope. At the very least JF3 is Gus's red option QB. 6. No. Too much development as a passer needed to be a freshman savior. 

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Just because Sean likes to have a good time does not mean he is not a leader. He's a very vocal motivator of his teammates in the weight room & is always will to throw when his WRs want to do routes. Sure he can be a better leader but most people can.

The good news for AU is the offensive players like & rally behind both Sean & JF3 which means they are both doing something right in terms of leadership.

Never said he wasn't a leader or wasn't capable of being one. What I said is "the leader Gus wants him to be".  I've heard that the main reason Gus isn't super high on Sean is because he needs to grow up and be a BETTER leader.  What that entails is pretty much between Gus and Sean.

I doubt whoever the starter may be named that he could easily not finish out the season as our starter. I think SW starts but i sure hope we have a package for JF3. I don't see how we can afford to move JF3 to another position; just give him a package. Who is going to back up SW if we move JF3 to another position? I think we're going to need them both during the course of the season either to maybe the original starter not executing well enough or unfortunately due to injury. This is why i don't understand why people are so quick to want to move JF3 when we don't have viable back up QBs. Even if JF3's pass is subpar i'd take my chances with him over JJ. 

6 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I doubt whoever the starter may be named that he could easily not finish out the season as our starter. I think SW starts but i sure hope we have a package for JF3. I don't see how we can afford to move JF3 to another position; just give him a package. Who is going to back up SW if we move JF3 to another position? I think we're going to need them both during the course of the season either to maybe the original starter not executing well enough or unfortunately due to injury. This is why i don't understand why people are so quick to want to move JF3 when we don't have viable back up QBs. Even if JF3's pass is subpar i'd take my chances with him over JJ. 

I haven't seen a single person say they want to move him to another position. I've seen a lot of people say they want to use him in the wildcat, on sweeps, etc.  It's not uncommon at all for Gus to line up someone, who is a QB on the roster, as a receiver.  Ask Kodi.

9 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I do not believe the coaches want this. Having one starter and then replacing later on with another means the season is not going good. I believe they would want one starter and things to go well and not have to replace them.

I'm just passing along another posters thoughts who knows more than I do. Frankly, I have no idea what the coaches actually want. 

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Never said he wasn't a leader or wasn't capable of being one. What I said is "the leader Gus wants him to be".  I've heard that the main reason Gus isn't super high on Sean is because he needs to grow up and be a BETTER leader.  What that entails is pretty much between Gus and Sean.

And I doubt that would make a difference. Gus did not & likely still does not fully believe in Sean as a QB. Sean can become the greatest leader in the world & I don't thk that is going to affect Gus's plat calling for Sean much if at all.nk

Just now, lionheartkc said:

I haven't seen a single person say they want to move him to another position. I've seen a lot of people say they want to use him in the wildcat, on sweeps, etc.  It's not uncommon at all for Gus to line up someone, who is a QB on the roster, as a receiver.  Ask Kodi.

I have. It's been asked numerous times. I know this information. I've seen where people wanted to move him full time to the slot. If he isn't the starter i hope he does have a "package." By package i mean Gus moving him all over the field but i've seen where it has been suggested a full time move. Only point i was addressing.

12 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

They don't want it but there is a scenario where Sean & JF3 play well in their packages & the O be succesful overall so the season not going good is not a given conclusion.

Just now, ellitor said:

They don't want it but there is a scenario where Sean & JF3 play well in their packages & the O be succesful overall so the season not going good is not a given conclusion.

I wouldn't have a problem with it. Whatever it takes to win. 

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

My sense of what passthebiscuits was saying (and other like posters, including yourself) was that unless JFIII wins the job in August, they'd still like to phase him in. In other words, the end game is for JFIII to start. I could have read too much into it though. 

8 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

My sense of what passthebiscuits was saying (and other like posters, including yourself) was that unless JFIII wins the job in August, they'd still like to phase him in. In other words, the end game is for JFIII to start. I could have read too much into it though. 

You might be right but I am not going that far. I'm still of the opinion of if Jimbo Fisher & his staff can't make JF3 a serviceable passer then I'm not sure Gus or Rhett can. TBH I think JF3 needed CDC here coaching him to get the most out of his QB potential.

Just now, ellitor said:

You might be right but I am not going that far. I'm still of the opinion of if Jimbo Fisher & his staff can't make JF3 a serviceable passer then I'm not sure Gus or Rhett can. TBH I think JF3 needed CDC here coaching him to get the most out of his QB potential.

That's a fair point. 

Ideally, Jeremie Johnson gets it together and becomes the QB everyone thought he was. It may be too late for that, but nobody expected Jason Campbell to do what he did his senior year. Good news is we have a pretty good group of RB's to take pressure off the QB. My prediction is JF3 starts and we run a 2013 run heavy type offense. Our strengths are not in WR this year, so I just don't see any reason for Sean to start. 

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Ideally, Jeremie Johnson gets it together and becomes the QB everyone thought he was. It may be too late for that, but nobody expected Jason Campbell to do what he did his senior year. Good news is we have a pretty good group of RB's to take pressure off the QB. My prediction is JF3 starts and we run a 2013 run heavy type offense. Our strengths are not in WR this year, so I just don't see any reason for Sean to start. 

I think WR could very well be a position of strength this year. We are as talented at the position right now as I can remember. Maybe not from an experience standpoint but we have some studs on the roster.

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Ideally, Jeremie Johnson get in together and becomes the QB everyone thought he was. It may be too late for that, but nobody expected Jason Campbell to do what he did his senior year. Good news is we have a pretty good group of RB's to take pressure off the QB. My prediction is JF3 starts and we run a 2013 run heavy type offense. Our strengths are not in WR this year, so I just don't see any reason for Sean to start. 

You stated 1 good possible reason right there. Another is if JF3 turns the ball over w/ picks &/or fumbles.

GRRRR! I wish we went after Jerod Evans last class!

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

We have a new QB? I kid..i kid. lol. JJ has all the ability in the world but not sure about others but we've basically have not heard any reports on him at all. I actually liked using JJ in the redzone b/c it seemed like when the field got smaller he was at his best but as far as a starter...i'll pass. He had plenty of opportunity to show some improvement. 

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I think WR could very well be a position of strength this year. We are as talented at the position right now as I can remember. Maybe not from an experience standpoint but we have some studs on the roster.

Agree 100%

30 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I guess I can see it, but can you imagine the outcry that whoever the starter is and they are doing well and then all of sudden you change QB's just to make sure a certain package is played. People tend to go nuts and rightfully so. No matter the outcome. If the starter is doing better, the coaches killed his momentum. If the second guy does better, then why wasn't he starting in the first place. Two QB's usually result in no QBs. No win for coaches, the QB's and the team. It may happen and all be good, but history doesn't seem to support it.

Archived