Ideal QB Situation

tigerbrotha12

12 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Folks on the Auburn SEC Rant board are swearing JJ is out ahead...where are they getting that info from?

Where they got it from is linked in the post over there. Took a few words out of a 247 article and posted it in a way to rustle jimmies. I wouldn't give it serious thought.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

A link would be helpful when asking such a question. I'm not going to look for a needle in that haystack.

Not asking you to.  Didn't think it was a good idea to link to other competing boards here.  

Aside from that, to clarify my earlier post...the QB discussion on the AUFamily boards points to a White/JF3 battle...but on that board it's more focused on JJ.  Just interesting that the two places would be so opposed in expectations.

There are 3 Auburn posters in this thread : http://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/updates-on-the-qb-battles-in-the-sec/64490228/

And then quite a few here: http://www.secrant.com/rant/auburn-sports/3-qb-battle-this-fall-/64205915/page-2/

29 minutes ago, bigbird said:

There has been separation. That said, the coaches want to see how much his work this summer has paid off.

The third year on the plains for SW. At this point, there should be no question who should be the starting QB. 

@AUDevil I saw the 2nd thread which is why I deleted my original reply that you quoted & then posted the revamp above. As said above they are just rustling jimmies. They like to do that over there, especially the 2 pushing JJ. I wouldn't pay it any mind.

And to answer your original question they took this quote from AU 247 and put it through the spin cycle...

He (Gus) said Johnson, who started the last four games of the regular season after White was injured has made major strides in regaining that confidence.

"He's in a better spot now," Malzahn said. "He's competing for our starting job. He's doing everything he can to win that job."

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

The third year on the plains for SW. At this point, there should be no question who should be the starting QB. 

You're right! It should have been Jemery Johnson, the 4th year guy, had he developed well.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

And to answer your original question they took this quote from AU 247 and put it through the spin cycle...

Thx E

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You're right! It should have been Jemery Johnson, the 4th year guy, had he developed well.

That too!

42 minutes ago, bigbird said:

There has been separation. That said, the coaches want to see how much his work this summer has paid off.

There may have been some separation but clearly not as much as some imply.  I think everything on here is exaggerated as far as the qb's abilities and their faults personally. 

29 minutes ago, cole256 said:

There may have been some separation but clearly not as much as some imply.  I think everything on here is exaggerated as far as the qb's abilities and their faults personally. 

I would't say "everything" is exaggerated. That would be an exaggeration. Some certainly is and some is just B.S.

When talking about their abilities it's always to an extreme.  It's sw is one of the most accurate passers,  jf3 can't throw at all.  Jf3 is the fastest qb seen,  sw can't run at all.  Nobody says anybody is just average or OK.  And to me it seems like more than likely we just have a couple of average maybe get close to being great qb 's on the roster right now. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

When talking about their abilities it's always to an extreme.  It's sw is one of the most accurate passers,  jf3 can't throw at all.  Jf3 is the fastest qb seen,  sw can't run at all.  Nobody says anybody is just average or OK.  And to me it seems like more than likely we just have a couple of average maybe get close to being great qb 's on the roster right now. 

I'd take average...average last year and Auburn wins 9 games.

17 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Folks on the Auburn SEC Rant board are swearing JJ is out ahead...where are they getting that info from?

That is a good question, because unless some things are happening that we are aware of, practice has not started end coaches probably still have players ranked where they were at the end of spring practice. It strikes me as a difficult task to jump over two other quarterbacks despite not having practice with the team in game-like situations. 

Walt Deptula on WCCP (Clemson home station) ran down Auburn today on his show and simply assumed that JF3 was going to be QB. He has us a 8-4 on the year.

Otherwise, he said some really nice things about our D-Line - especially if Cowert breaks out.  Lawson is one of the best in the country. Said Johnathon Ford would be drafted high. Also he has a very high regard for Jovon Robinson.

He said Gus Malzahn hasn't suddenly forgotten how to coach, he just needs a QB that fits in his system, everything is based around the QB's capablilities.

On 8/1/2016 at 10:12 PM, homersapien said:

Walt Deptula on WCCP (Clemson home station) ran down Auburn today on his show and simply assumed that JF3 was going to be QB. He has us a 8-4 on the year.

Otherwise, he said some really nice things about our D-Line - especially if Cowert breaks out.  Lawson is one of the best in the country. Said Johnathon Ford would be drafted high. Also he has a very high regard for Jovon Robinson.

He said Gus Malzahn hasn't suddenly forgotten how to coach, he just needs a QB that fits in his system, everything is based around the QB's capablilities.

I understand the better offensive coaches develop a system around their players.  I wonder about that comment because if you look back at Gus's career he's had lots of different types of QBs and last year was the first time I can recall that his team did not have the ability to put yards and points on the board.  His W-L record has been varied but his offenses have usually produced if he had a decent and healthy QB.   

Ideally, I wish we would just let the QB battle settle itself on the field....similar to what bama has done for the past 3-4 years. I would like to see JF3 and SW each play in the first game (this would also give Clemson a more difficult task game planning too). As JJ proved last year, it's not what you are doing during practice and camp that really matters, hence why I'd like to see a QB battle on the field until one guy earns it.

Say Gus, names JF3 the starting QB early on in camp and he comes out and fumbles the ball 2+ times and has 2+ interceptions...is Gus gonna stay with him or move SW in and start all over?

12 hours ago, YesWeCam said:

Ideally, I wish we would just let the QB battle settle itself on the field....similar to what bama has done for the past 3-4 years. I would like to see JF3 and SW each play in the first game (this would also give Clemson a more difficult task game planning too). As JJ proved last year, it's not what you are doing during practice and camp that really matters, hence why I'd like to see a QB battle on the field until one guy earns it.

Say Gus, names JF3 the starting QB early on in camp and he comes out and fumbles the ball 2+ times and has 2+ interceptions...is Gus gonna stay with him or move SW in and start all over?

I'm sure this wouldn't be a popular thing among many fans but considering our QB issues i can agree to this to a certain extent b/c with our QBs we don't really know what we have until they are in a live game. I asked this same question but used SW as an example. I hope he would be willing to go with the next guy up. Personally that's the only way we're going to really figure out what we have at QB. It sucks..esp. since it's against Clemson but like you mentioned Bama have used those first 2-3 games to figure out their QB. 

Archived