Ideal QB Situation

tigerbrotha12

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You stated 1 good possible reason right there. Another is if JF3 turns the ball over w/ picks &/or fumbles.

GRRRR! I wish we went after Jerod Evans last class!

Sorry. I should have said the RB's open up opportunities for the QB to run. I guess passing is true, too. Even though I agree that the talent level at WR is there I just don't personally trust the WR's on our roster, after last year and we don't really know how the new guys will turn out.  The very minimum we should be able to do is run a mean zone read. JF3 is our guy to do that. If you guys don't follow him on IG, I highly recommend it! He's such a determined kid. He just posted a video of himself running a drill today. 

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Sorry. I should have said the RB's open up opportunities for the QB to run. I guess passing is true, too. Even though I agree that the talent level at WR is there I just don't personally trust the WR's on our roster, after last year and we don't really know how the new guys will turn out.  The very minimum we should be able to do is run a mean zone read. JF3 is our guy to do that. If you guys don't follow him on IG, an highly recommend it! He's such a determined kid. He just posted a video of himself running a drill today. 

Yeah, I've enjoyed following him too. 

8 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I guess I can see it, but can you imagine the outcry that whoever the starter is and they are doing well and then all of sudden you change QB's just to make sure a certain package is played. People tend to go nuts and rightfully so. No matter the outcome. If the starter is doing better, the coaches killed his momentum. If the second guy does better, then why wasn't he starting in the first place. Two QB's usually result in no QBs. No win for coaches, the QB's and the team. It may happen and all be good, but history doesn't seem to support it.

The QB change would not be just to play a package. It would be already part of the game plan w/ strategic intent. & it doesn't matter what people think as long as the O is fully behind both QBs. Yes it's usually a no QB system but I was just pointing out there have been times 2 QBs worked.

IMO, the ideal situation is one of the QB's steps up and becomes a leader on and off the field, which includes understanding the offense, where everyone is supposed to be and gets the turnovers to a minimum. I believe (whether it's true or not) that we have the makings of a decent running attack. That being said, I think the best QB will be good passer that also has the ability to get himself out of trouble with his feet and extend plays whether it's running or finding WR's downfield. 

That could be any one of them, but each has some different issues to work out over the Summer.  Best of luck to all of them. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

You stated 1 good possible reason right there. Another is if JF3 turns the ball over w/ picks &/or fumbles.

GRRRR! I wish we went after Jerod Evans last class!

Do you think we went after JFIII so hard because we knew we could seal the deal with him and Jerod Evans would be more of a fight?

9 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

Do you think we went after JFIII so hard because we knew we could seal the deal with him and Jerod Evans would be more of a fight?

No. Evans had real interest in AU. Even if it's a fight you go after your top guys, especially given the other guy was not being recruited hard by other teams. Gus just liked JF3 more for what he wanted.

The main criteria has to be which QB can make the offense operate at a higher level. For a long time I thought SW would be the guy and he still might be. I watched the JF3/JUCO highlight vid recently and JF3 was a better passer than I realized. His running ability and speed also jumps out at you. SW is in for a fight.

To me the ideal situation is to name a starter by the end of week one of fall camp. Im so tired of watching Auburn figure it out during the first four games. Get PERFECT at it in the fall then expand as the season goes along. 

16 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

We have a new QB? I kid..i kid. lol. JJ has all the ability in the world but not sure about others but we've basically have not heard any reports on him at all. I actually liked using JJ in the redzone b/c it seemed like when the field got smaller he was at his best but as far as a starter...i'll pass. He had plenty of opportunity to show some improvement. 

I see what you are saying but I still have a little more hope about JJ than that . I think  he needs to change his personality. Not just be confident but cocky or have a chip on his shoulder. You are correct that he had his chances. I had high hopes for him when SW got injured and JJ finished off the season but that confidence never returned or improved. I just feel like if he could get his mind right and loosen up and have fun he would excell. The problems reading defenses just seems to be from stress or panic not lack of intelligence. It's like you can see it on his face, body language or even in his voice when he talks. I don't think it will happen but I would love to see it. I think SW will be the guy. I would love to have a DT qb but have not seen JF3 do anything that makes me think he can win it.  

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I see what you are saying but I still have a little more hope about JJ than that . I think  he needs to change his personality. Not just be confident but cocky or have a chip on his shoulder. You are correct that he had his chances. I had high hopes for him when SW got injured and JJ finished off the season but that confidence never returned or improved. I just feel like if he could get his mind right and loosen up and have fun he would excell. The problems reading defenses just seems to be from stress or panic not lack of intelligence. It's like you can see it on his face, body language or even in his voice when he talks. I don't think it will happen but I would love to see it. I think SW will be the guy. I would love to have a DT qb but have not seen JF3 do anything that makes me think he can win it.  

We see instances of Jeremy being a great QB. If you watch a few of his plays from the first half of the Alabama and Georgia games, he looks poised and comfortable. We weren't quite able to score very much, but for the most part, we got down the field against them. Just couldn't score in the redzone. I think the problem is that he knows he can do it and frustration/anxiety of not performing up to his ability causes him to play tight. Plagues me still when I play any kind of sport and I've got to fight through to stay aggressive. Johnson, I think, can be an NFL QB, but he needs to find that aggression again. I don't know if confidence is the issue, really. I think he has all the confidence in the world in himself. I just think it seems as if he's scared to lose, rather than hungry to win.

17 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

IMO, the ideal situation is one of the QB's steps up and becomes a leader on and off the field, which includes understanding the offense, where everyone is supposed to be and gets the turnovers to a minimum. I believe (whether it's true or not) that we have the makings of a decent running attack. That being said, I think the best QB will be good passer that also has the ability to get himself out of trouble with his feet and extend plays whether it's running or finding WR's downfield. 

That could be any one of them, but each has some different issues to work out over the Summer.  Best of luck to all of them. 

I agree.  I hope one QB steps up and wins the job and keeps it.  I am not a fan of platooning QBs or having special (predictable) packages for a certain QB that are always used in the same (predictable) situations.  

wde

What i worry about, is if whoever the starter is, he is not far and above the best QB. I worry that the starter will struggle at some point, whether it is the first game or the third game with TaM, and then we are back to who is the best #2 and whether he will struggle too. 

To win consistently in the SEC, we must have the QB be the LEADER and move the offense consistently and put points on the board. I see so many on here, who are so divided. JJ, SW, JFIII, we all have our ideas who will be THE ONE.

But we will not know until after the first game, or even by the third game, if any of them struggle then we back to where we were last year.

I still think it will be a combo of SW and JFIII that works the best.

If Jeremy gets it together I think he will be the starter.  I also believe he will be on a short leash and if he shows any of the tendencies from last year he will be going to the bench for the rest of the year.  Sean is the backup plan if Jeremy is pulled and there are plenty of packages for JFIII regardless of who the starter is.  

Ideally, as some have said, Jeremy Johnson finds the guy who never came back out of the locker room after that 1st half vs Arky in 2014. Then SW and JF3 have another season to work on their games and we are somewhat back on the schedule that we thought we were going to be on at this time last year.

4 hours ago, alexava said:

I do agree that it seems he overthinks things. In a way you can see on his face on the field...during the play. Just overthinking it. He just needs to play...a little bit of backyard football mentality. Kid has all the athletic talent in the world but just goes to show how the game is certainly not all physical.

We have not seen much from JF3 but i don't see him as a horrible passer. My biggest question with him is if given the chance how will he mesh with Javon and can he lead the offense when moments get tight. I think with the WR talent we have and of course our running game JF3 could be a serviceable passer if we put him in the right situations. Same goes for SW. It's of course going to come down to if they can execute at a decent level as the QB but i just like the added element that JF3 brings with being able to make things happen if plays break down. It's hard for defenses to defend that. I just hope whomever the starter is Gus will put a good plan behind that QB to be in better positions for our offense to succeed. That's honestly my biggest worry versus who the starter will be. 

17 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I just hope whomever the starter is Gus will put a good plan behind that QB to be in better positions for our offense to succeed. That's honestly my biggest worry versus who the starter will be. 

I completely agree

My guess is that CGM believes that he will finally have a defense that he can count on and he wants to tailor the offense around JF3's ability to run the read option so that he can run the ball 75-80% of the time.  If JF3 can show ball security and ability to read the option, he will be the starter.  SW or JJ will be used when (if) we are behind and need to go to a 75-80% passing attack to get back in the game.  Otherwise, it will be a reverse of the wildcat, where we bring in a passing QB to get a change of pace and keep defenses off balance.  I would not be surprised to see the jumbo package of Pettaway/Cox at times with the speed of JF3 to compliment the power that P/C.  Jovon and Kerryon will be the feature backs and Jovon, barring injury should be the next AU thousand yard man this year.  WDE

21 minutes ago, LakeBum said:

My guess is that CGM believes that he will finally have a defense that he can count on and he wants to tailor the offense around JF3's ability to run the read option so that he can run the ball 75-80% of the time.  If JF3 can show ball security and ability to read the option, he will be the starter.  SW or JJ will be used when (if) we are behind and need to go to a 75-80% passing attack to get back in the game.  Otherwise, it will be a reverse of the wildcat, where we bring in a passing QB to get a change of pace and keep defenses off balance. 

I have to say, I hope you are wrong.  I've never seen a team be successful subbing in a QB for passing. If they get to the point that they need a passer in there, it's already too late.  

If John gets the job, for the sake of the team, I hope Sean only sees clean-up duty.

I think ideally JFIII comes in strong and claims the starting spot pretty quickly thereby giving everyone a fresh start and clean break from last years offensive debacle. I'm still not sure how it all plays out but I'm getting more comfortable with the thought of him taking the reigns and rolling. 

The possibility of Sean having a strong camp and taking the starting spot with a package for JFIII is an interesting thought too. Lot of possibilities. 

Completely agree with lionheartkc. Our offense telling any team good enough to build a lead on us that we're just going to sit back and pass every down would be sending our little QB lamb to slaughter. As big a fan as I am of Sean, lion's right, there would be no strategic advantage to him being a change of pace guy. Now, if JFIII wins the job and then craps the bed a la JJ, then Sean would be my choice to take the reigns full time like he did last year until he got injured.

Also, if JFIII wins the job I wouldn't mind a jumbo package with JJ taking snaps like we did several times last year. Wouldn't exactly be a plum gig for JJ, but maybe better than nothing. We could then send JFIII out for a pop pass option or something like that. Maybe. That's me just playing with my Star Wars action figures without any regard for real world Xs and Os. 

Whoever wins the job will have my full support, but Sean + JFIII package a la Leak + Tebow package would give me the most confidence day 1. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Also, if JFIII wins the job I wouldn't mind a jumbo package with JJ taking snaps like we did several times last year.

I just hope, if Gus is considering this, that Jeremy had worked on becoming more aggressive as a runner.  Even when he scored, last year, there was just an edge of tentativeness in his running style, and often he looked like he wasn't confident at all about what he was doing. I'd love to see Jeremy take out some of the aggression that he must feel from last year on a few unsuspecting linebackers on the way to a first down/touchdown. 

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I just hope, if Gus is considering this, that Jeremy had worked on becoming more aggressive as a runner.  Even when he scored, last year, there was just an edge of tentativeness in his running style, and often he looked like he wasn't confident at all about what he was doing. I'd love to see Jeremy take out some of the aggression that he must feel from last year on a few unsuspecting linebackers on the way to a first down/touchdown. 

Personally, I think he hates contact. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Completely agree with lionheartkc. Our offense telling any team good enough to build a lead on us that we're just going to sit back and pass every down would be sending our little QB lamb to slaughter. As big a fan as I am of Sean, lion's right, there would be no strategic advantage to him being a change of pace guy. Now, if JFIII wins the job and then craps the bed a la JJ, then Sean would be my choice to take the reigns full time like he did last year until he got injured.

Also, if JFIII wins the job I wouldn't mind a jumbo package with JJ taking snaps like we did several times last year. Wouldn't exactly be a plum gig for JJ, but maybe better than nothing. We could then send JFIII out for a pop pass option or something like that. Maybe. That's me just playing with my Star Wars action figures without any regard for real world Xs and Os. 

Whoever wins the job will have my full support, but Sean + JFIII package a la Leak + Tebow package would give me the most confidence day 1. 

I am just going ahead and say it and please I am not bashing players, but I did not see anything from last year or A Day to give me any confidence that those QB's from last year can lead us to anything other than an average year. Neither had great accuracy. In fact JJ had a higher completion percentage. SW had a higher YPA but not great for either. JJ threw interceptions and SW couldn't throw TD's. Neither could provide enough running to make defenses respect any QB run option. Both had dropped passes.

I am in the camp that something has to change at QB for AU to have a better year than last year. Many will disagree and that is fine and we all have opinions, but the above is factual as far as the stats are concerned. I get it, JF3 really doesn't have any stats to compare, so he is an unknown. I guess I am saying I would rather go with the unknown than what we saw from the known last year.

21 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I think ideally JFIII comes in strong and claims the starting spot pretty quickly thereby giving everyone a fresh start and clean break from last years offensive debacle. I'm still not sure how it all plays out but I'm getting more comfortable with the thought of him taking the reigns and rolling. 

The possibility of Sean having a strong camp and taking the starting spot with a package for JFIII is an interesting thought too. Lot of possibilities. 

It can happen but I still find it interesting that SW has been in the system going on 3 years now and has yet to solidify the starting position. That is my only question mark for this whole situation. We honestly should not be in this position with JJ and SW on our roster.

Archived