Ideal QB Situation

tigerbrotha12

Devil's advocate here....what if JJ has a Jason Campbell-like turnaround to close out his career? I know Campbell had Borges leading the way so he got (yet another) fresh start. But nobody thought he would turn from a game manager to a QB that would be an actual leading force to guide us to wins based on his prior work. 

What if Gus does in fact stop being a CEO type coach and snatches the reigns back from Lashlee? What if that actually was the problem? Could that even make sense as Gus probably would've tried to take more control of the offense at least half-way through the year once it was clear we were sputtering? 

Leading in to last season, we had a lot of "if ____ can step up we will be very good". It is safe to say a lot of those "ifs" did not fall in our favor. Do we have more "ifs" going into this season than last? 

Also, what are our experience numbers going to look like for this season? Last year Stat Tiger warned us about how inexperienced we were all over the board with his breakdown of returning players with a certain amount of experience. This stat is one of the most telling signs of how a team will do IMO -- especially in the SEC. It is easier to make a run with inexperience in other conferences (Clemson/Ohio State). I hope our numbers are more favorable this season, though.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I am just going ahead and say it and please I am not bashing players, but I did not see anything from last year or A Day to give me any confidence that those QB's from last year can lead us to anything other than an average year. Neither had great accuracy. In fact JJ had a higher completion percentage. SW had a higher YPA but not great for either. JJ threw interceptions and SW couldn't throw TD's. Neither could provide enough running to make defenses respect any QB run option. Both had dropped passes.

I am in the camp that something has to change at QB for AU to have a better year than last year. Many will disagree and that is fine and we all have opinions, but the above is factual as far as the stats are concerned. I get it, JF3 really doesn't have any stats to compare, so he is an unknown. I guess I am saying I would rather go with the unknown than what we saw from the known last year.

I'm not sure that you can say that Sean couldn't throw TDs. I don't recall a lot of times where he got in the red zone and forgot how to pass a ball. (If anybody else brings up the pick he threw under pressure on his first ever possession as a college QB, I seriously might puke.)

As for JJ and him running- and as for the changes we need in our offense- please consider the roster around those guys last year. Really think about the supporting cast. Duke Williams didn't make it halfway through the season. Roc Thomas is gone. Our first time center will play a different position this year. We had one receiver get drafted in the 4th round. Our RBs were a guy who didn't get drafted, a true freshman and a certified stud... who played in all of 8 games. Nothing but freshmen at HB and TE, and both of those TEs might have already gotten passed on the depth chart by another true FR. Stanton Truitt got hurt, too. That was not the kind of offensive roster that any QB with the yips or redshirt freshman was going to succeed with. 

Put either of those guys in a situation where their teammates might actually pick *them* up from time to time- see some of the catches that Darvin made for Cam in 2010 or that Sammie and Duke made for Nick in 2014... see Ryan Pugh running the OL and snapping the ball to Cam in 2010, Reese Dismukes for Nick in 2013-14... Lee Ziemba, Greg Robinson... Onterrio, Corey... Dyer, Mason, Artis-Payne... Smith, Fannin, Prosch... I'm not saying that we have another Cam Newton or Nick Marshall on the roster- I'm quite certain we don't- but those guys got a LOT of help from their teammates. 

10 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Also, what are our experience numbers going to look like for this season? Last year Stat Tiger warned us about how inexperienced we were all over the board with his breakdown of returning players with a certain amount of experience. This stat is one of the most telling signs of how a team will do IMO -- especially in the SEC. It is easier to make a run with inexperience in other conferences (Clemson/Ohio State). I hope our numbers are more favorable this season, though.

I am not surprised at all that Tiger gets it.

I'll start with the backfield. If Jovon's head is on right, that means we have him and experienced sophomore Kerryon Johnson as RBs 1 and 2. That is WAY better than Peyton Barber, Roc Thomas, disgruntled, can't-stay-on-the-field Jovon and never-played-a-college-snap Kerryon to start the season. And you've got sophomores Pettway and Cox at HB (and possibly RB) instead of RS FR Pettway and true FR Cox. 

TE... eh... we've got 2 freshman "+"s or sophomore "-"s- those guys were ghosts last year- plus a talented true freshman vs the 2 freshmen to start the season last year. Has to be a slightly better situation, but not necessarily a lot better...

OL... more experience and possibly more talent, but there will be some shuffling. Golson was fine by the last third of 2015, but I do think we'll be much better at center to start the season. We'll probably upgrade at RT. I dunno. I wish we had more continuity there, but I don't think we'll be any worse off than we were to start 2015. 

WR... bye, Felicia. We'll miss Ricardo- don't wanna hear it, haters- but not starting the season with Duke will be addition by subtraction and I think the sheer talent will compensate. Marcus and Jason will only be more experienced. If Truitt is healthy, he'll be a big weapon. I hear we shouldn't expect much out of Tony. And Ryan Davis is now a SO instead of a true FR.

And, of course, Sean and JJ have another year under their belts. Hard to tell if that's a good thing or not, lol.

7 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

That's a shame about Stevens if true. He has all the physical tools. 

Hope I heard wrong. We shall see. But it might be a deal where he gets passed by younger guys with equal or superior physical tools, but with more talent/drive/whatever.

Also, I just reread my long post, and boy was I trying to sound more knowledgeable than I really am. A few facts supported by way too many opinions, instead of the other way around...

28 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm not sure that you can say that Sean couldn't throw TDs. I don't recall a lot of times where he got in the red zone and forgot how to pass a ball. (If anybody else brings up the pick he threw under pressure on his first ever possession as a college QB, I seriously might puke.)

As for JJ and him running- and as for the changes we need in our offense- please consider the roster around those guys last year. Really think about the supporting cast. Duke Williams didn't make it halfway through the season. Roc Thomas is gone. Our first time center will play a different position this year. We had one receiver get drafted in the 4th round. Our RBs were a guy who didn't get drafted, a true freshman and a certified stud... who played in all of 8 games. Nothing but freshmen at HB and TE, and both of those TEs might have already gotten passed on the depth chart by another true FR. Stanton Truitt got hurt, too. That was not the kind of offensive roster that any QB with the yips or redshirt freshman was going to succeed with. 

Put either of those guys in a situation where their teammates might actually pick *them* up from time to time- see some of the catches that Darvin made for Cam in 2010 or that Sammie and Duke made for Nick in 2014... see Ryan Pugh running the OL and snapping the ball to Cam in 2010, Reese Dismukes for Nick in 2013-14... Lee Ziemba, Greg Robinson... Onterrio, Corey... Dyer, Mason, Artis-Payne... Smith, Fannin, Prosch... I'm not saying that we have another Cam Newton or Nick Marshall on the roster- I'm quite certain we don't- but those guys got a LOT of help from their teammates. 

Well, SW threw 1 TD pass last year. Maybe I should have said didn't throw TD compared to couldn't throw TD. Every year a team replaces players. Every year inexperienced players have to play, but by the end of the year they are not inexperienced. Our passing offense in the bowl game was dismal. The running game won that ball game from the offensive stand point. Most teams face the above scenarios in some form or fashion every year and I agree that JR should have played more as RB. While the receivers had plenty of drops last year, there were some great catches that picked up the QB's. It seems we want to make comparisons to the talent levels of the surrounding cast of the QB that caused our lackluster performance last year but not the QB's themselves.

41 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Can I bring up the throw that he threw across his body that was dropped by the defender in the end zone against Moo State? Can I bring up that just maybe the coaches didn't want him airing it out for reasons of not trusting SW in the Redzone? Does anybody remember SW's costly turnover in the redzone this year? 

As an aside, it's nice to see people who are rooting for a JJ turnaround, or entertaining the thought. In my opinion, if JJ were to become the starting quarterback it would be because everything that could go wrong has gone wrong. I admire how hard it sounds like he is working, but problems between the ears are far and away the hardest to overcome.

15 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Every year inexperienced players have to play, but by the end of the year they are not inexperienced.

Most teams face the above scenarios in some form or fashion every year

Yes, but usually not at every position group. I'm happy to question Gus's roster management, but neither he nor the QBs had enough experience or talent around them to succeed. 

It seems we want to make comparisons to the talent levels of the surrounding cast of the QB that caused our lackluster performance last year but not the QB's themselves.

Happy to critique the QBs, but not to the point of writing them off completely- particularly Sean. Seriously? A RS FR QB struggled in an inexperienced offense where the clear cut best WR was a locker room cancer, the center had never played the position before (even in high school) and the clear cut best RB was a bit of a head case for much of the season himself? That's reason enough to write him off and assume a 3* ATH who requires loads of special attention to learn how to throw a football properly is the answer? I'm sorry, I just don't get this line of thinking at all. As for JJ, writing him off is a little more forgivable but I'm not going to do it. What we're hearing leak out from behind close doors doesn't bode well for his chances, though.

16 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Can I bring up the throw that he threw across his body that was dropped by the defender in the end zone against Moo State? Can I bring up that just maybe the coaches didn't want him airing it out for reasons of not trusting SW in the Redzone? Does anybody remember SW's costly turnover in the redzone this year? 

Sure, bring it up. But doing so without acknowledging that he was a completely inexperienced QB in a very inexperienced offense while using it to justify a perceived inability of him to get better/good enough seems illogical to me. I suppose I should say explicitly here that I didn't think Sean White was "good" last year. What I saw, though, was a guy who was on his way to getting good. Yes, he played poorly in the bowl game with an injury. Still hardly enough to write him off, especially with his positive play earlier in the season that gets ignored far more often than his negative play.

9 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

As an aside, it's nice to see people who are rooting for a JJ turnaround, or entertaining the thought. In my opinion, if JJ were to become the starting quarterback it would be because everything that could go wrong has gone wrong. I admire how hard it sounds like he is working, but problems between the ears are far and away the hardest to overcome.

I'm not buying the inexperienced offense excuse. Will this year look that much different on the offensive side? He threw the ball for 250 three games in a row so we had playmakers. He just got sloppy in the red zone and the coaches decided to cut him off in the Redzone.

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yes, but usually not at every position group. I'm happy to question Gus's roster management, but neither he nor the QBs had enough experience or talent around them to succeed. 

Happy to critique the QBs, but not to the point of writing them off completely- particularly Sean. Seriously? A RS FR QB struggled in an inexperienced offense where the clear cut best WR was a locker room cancer, the center had never played the position before (even in high school) and the clear cut best RB was a bit of a head case for much of the season himself? That's reason enough to write him off and assume a 3* ATH who requires loads of special attention to learn how to throw a football properly is the answer? I'm sorry, I just don't get this line of thinking at all. As for JJ, writing him off is a little more forgivable but I'm not going to do it. What we're hearing leak out from behind close doors doesn't bode well for his chances, though.

Sure, bring it up. But doing so without acknowledging that he was a completely inexperienced QB in a very inexperienced offense while using it to justify a perceived inability of him to get better/good enough seems illogical to me. I suppose I should say explicitly here that I didn't think Sean White was "good" last year. What I saw, though, was a guy who was on his way to getting good. Yes, he played poorly in the bowl game with an injury. Still hardly enough to write him off, especially with his positive play earlier in the season that gets ignored far more often than his negative play.

Don't take this the wrong way.  You bring a lot of good insight to the board, but we seemed to bend over backwards making excuses for SW performance last year. If we made the same argument for every player on the team that did not perform well last year, then we would have the same team this year. We have many positions that need an upgrade on talent; QB is one of them. Do we have that on campus? Not sure at this point.

47 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I am not surprised at all that Tiger gets it.

I'll start with the backfield. If Jovon's head is on right, that means we have him and experienced sophomore Kerryon Johnson as RBs 1 and 2. That is WAY better than Peyton Barber, Roc Thomas, disgruntled, can't-stay-on-the-field Jovon and never-played-a-college-snap Kerryon to start the season. And you've got sophomores Pettway and Cox at HB (and possibly RB) instead of RS FR Pettway and true FR Cox. I agree here, I like that JR is heading into the season as the lead back. Health permitting, I think he becomes our next 1000 yard rusher. Kerryon as the clear #2 is also a good position to be in. He looks to be on his way to becoming really good IMO. Then with the true freshman Kam Martin hopefully can fill the role that Roc was poised to have. Overall we went in to last year not really knowing what our backs can do as a unit. This year we have 2 guys we have seen play, and be effective. With just 1 unknown. And I agree that our HB situation gets a boost just on the fact that both guys have another year to learn their assignments, get stronger and faster, and more accustomed to SEC football.

TE... eh... we've got 2 freshman "+"s or sophomore "-"s- those guys were ghosts last year- plus a talented true freshman vs the 2 freshmen to start the season last year. Has to be a slightly better situation, but not necessarily a lot better... Spot on IMO. If we get anything out of this position this year it will be an upgrade from last season.

OL... more experience and possibly more talent, but there will be some shuffling. Golson was fine by the last third of 2015, but I do think we'll be much better at center to start the season. We'll probably upgrade at RT. I dunno. I wish we had more continuity there, but I don't think we'll be any worse off than we were to start 2015. The OL worries me some. Losing both tackles has to hurt. Avery Young leaving early was a real head scratcher for me (and also the NFL scouts apparently). I don't think we will upgrade at RT, though. Young was a multi-year starter for us and it is tough to replace a guy and maintain the same level of production. I'm hoping that is the case, but I'm thinking we take a bit of a dip at the tackle spots, but our interior line should be good. I'm with you though. I wish we had more continuity on the OL.

WR... bye, Felicia. We'll miss Ricardo- don't wanna hear it, haters- but not starting the season with Duke will be addition by subtraction and I think the sheer talent will compensate. Marcus and Jason will only be more experienced. If Truitt is healthy, he'll be a big weapon. I hear we shouldn't expect much out of Tony. And Ryan Davis is now a SO instead of a true FR. I really have no idea what to think of the WR unit. Hopefully we have more natural pass catchers getting on the field to help our QB situation out. Marcus Davis seems to have reliable hands. As you said Tony Stevens has yet to show his 4* rating, which is unfortunate because he has good height. Smith can stretch the field for us, we seem to like going deep to him. 

And, of course, Sean and JJ have another year under their belts. Hard to tell if that's a good thing or not, lol. haha yeah we just won't know until the lights come on opening night what we have at QB. Conventional logic says another year on campus should be a positive thing but that depends on what their ceilings are. With all of this, our experience level should be slightly improved. And on D, quickly, I feel like our DL gets a boost from last year, LBs take a dip, and our secondary makes a leap IMO just based on guys coming back and the expected improvement of having another year behind them and another off-season to work.

13 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Don't take this the wrong way.  You bring a lot of good insight to the board, but we seemed to bend over backwards making excuses for SW performance last year. If we made the same argument for every player on the team that did not perform well last year, then we would have the same team this year. We have many positions that need an upgrade on talent; QB is one of them. Do we have that on campus? Not sure at this point.

I'm curious to see where Sean will be after another spring and summer under his belt. I agree with McLoofus. He was on his way to getting good before his injury. Regardless, we have to have a reliable threat in the middle of the field. It doesn't have to be a TE. We need someone physical enough to reliably make tough catches in the middle of the field. A quarterback has to have a safety valve. We were so average at WR last year. That alone will make whoever takes snaps under center a better quarterback.

I look at it this way. Sean isn't himself a playmaker. At least, I haven't seen that. However, I think he is someone who can reliably get the ball into playmakers hands. We didn't have those players last year. If no one emerges, then I doubt we will see an exorbitant amount of improvement in the offense whether Sean is playing well or not. Without playmakers on the outside, I think we are going to be better off with a playmaker under center. 

If some young guys step it up on the outside and we can develop a reliable threat over the middle, I think Sean will have an opportunity to be very effective. That's just my opinion.

Our offense in 2013 was good for a lot of reasons, but let's not overlook the impact that a guy like Sammie Coates or CJ Uzomah can make. 

I don't think the same standard can be held for all players though. To me, you can forgive a freshman's mistakes much more than a junior or senior's mistakes. It's only natural that a freshman won't be on the same level of a junior or senior from a mental, physical, maturity, and confidence standpoint.

For example, I thought JJ was making freshman mistakes. As a junior with that is unacceptable. If he was a freshman making those mistakes it would be more understandable.

Yes, this is a bottom line business. You either get the job done or you don't. But I don't think we can write a player off until he is in the 2nd half of his college eligibility because that will have shown a more tangible data point of where his football trajectory is taking him. JMO of course.

I personally think we have a pretty good qb in white. Gus has the weapons to tailor the offense around white. He just has to move from a spread offense to more of a pro-style attack. Jovon and Key are two strong running backs plus Cox and Pett\way are strong fullback/H-back. You have them behind a offensive line that has a lot of playing experience add that with stevens, smith, davis, and a few from the incoming class. Not to mention Harris at Tight end. we could have a good offense. Gus just needs mold into the right direction.

17 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Oh, I take no offense to disagreement or honest critique of the players' on field performance. 

I don't feel that I'm bending over backwards *or* making excuses. I'm pointing out facts that tend to affect how a player and a unit perform. You are evidently of the opinion that those factors don't matter and that quarterback not having success = bad quarterback. I disagree and I've said why with far more words than anybody cares to read, so I'll drop it. But one last thing... StatTiger will likely give us a post in August once we have a good idea of what the depth chart will look like, and he'll talk about the experience of our roster relative to previous Auburn teams that have had success. Please be sure to keep an eye out for it. He didn't predict Jeremy's implosion last year- who could have?- but he did list several warning signs on our roster that, minus the quality, experienced QB play we all expected, came to fruition in a big way. Experience matters. It really does.  

And it's not just experience. Unfilled needs in one area can drastically affect other positions ability to perform. I think the point that McLoofus is making is that you can't view players performances in a vacuum, especially when they aren't making blatant mental errors like JJ. I think most savvy posters understand this. 

9 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

That's probably because Sean had several above average games last year that would have been considered spectacular had he gotten any help from the rest of the team, especially for a red-shirt freshman.  What I see is people who bend over backwards to hammer on the one mistake he made in his first game, the fact that he wasn't allowed to do much in his first game, every subsequent mistake he made when he was trying to play with a hurt knee/foot, and the fact that he couldn't magically carry the rest of the team to a win even when the D was struggling, the receivers dropped as much as they caught, and we were on our 3rd string running back. Is he the second coming of Tom Brady?  Who knows... probably not... but to say something like "making excuses for his performance" when he had the best statistical run of games of any red-shirt Freshman QB at Auburn, while he was still healthy, since Stan freaking White, tells me that the people defending him aren't the ones who need to check themselves.

We have 3 positions that needed an upgrade in talent... receiver, line backer, and tight end.  We've recruited fairly well to excellent for all 3. Time to see what a crop of talented true freshmen can do.

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

And it's not just experience. Unfilled needs in one area can drastically affect other positions ability to perform. I think the point that McLoofus is making is that you can't view players performances in a vacuum, especially when they aren't making blatant mental errors like JJ. I think most savvy posters understand this. 

That's the exact point I'm trying to make. I guess it's not as obvious as I'd hoped. 

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

That's probably because Sean had several above average games last year that would have been considered spectacular had he gotten any help from the rest of the team, especially for a red-shirt freshman.  What I see is people who bend over backwards to hammer on the one mistake he made in his first game, the fact that he wasn't allowed to do much in his first game, every subsequent mistake he made when he was trying to play with a hurt knee/foot, and the fact that he couldn't magically carry the rest of the team to a win even when the D was struggling, the receivers dropped as much as they caught, and we were on our 3rd string running back. Is he the second coming of Tom Brady?  Who knows... probably not... but to say something like "making excuses for his performance" when he had the best statistical run of games of any red-shirt Freshman QB at Auburn, while he was still healthy, since Stan freaking White, tells me that the people defending him aren't the ones who need to check themselves.

We have 3 positions that needed an upgrade in talent... receiver, line backer, and tight end.  We've recruited fairly well to excellent for all 3. Time to see what a crop of talented true freshmen can do.

Boom

15 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I don't think the same standard can be held for all players though. To me, you can forgive a freshman's mistakes much more than a junior or senior's mistakes. It's only natural that a freshman won't be on the same level of a junior or senior from a mental, physical, maturity, and confidence standpoint.

For example, I thought JJ was making freshman mistakes. As a junior with that is unacceptable. If he was a freshman making those mistakes it would be more understandable.

Yes, this is a bottom line business. You either get the job done or you don't. But I don't think we can write a player off until he is in the 2nd half of his college eligibility because that will have shown a more tangible data point of where his football trajectory is taking him. JMO of course.

Bingo. 

19 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Regardless, we have to have a reliable threat in the middle of the field. It doesn't have to be a TE. We need someone physical enough to reliably make tough catches in the middle of the field. A quarterback has to have a safety valve. We were so average at WR last year. That alone will make whoever takes snaps under center a better quarterback.

I look at it this way. Sean isn't himself a playmaker. At least, I haven't seen that. However, I think he is someone who can reliably get the ball into playmakers hands. We didn't have those players last year. If no one emerges, then I doubt we will see an exorbitant amount of improvement in the offense whether Sean is playing well or not. Without playmakers on the outside, I think we are going to be better off with a playmaker under center. 

If some young guys step it up on the outside and we can develop a reliable threat over the middle, I think Sean will have an opportunity to be very effective. That's just my opinion.

Our offense in 2013 was good for a lot of reasons, but let's not overlook the impact that a guy like Sammie Coates or CJ Uzomah can make. 

Great point. That's where Duke's implosion hurt us the most last year, IMO. An entire chapter in the playbook followed him right out the door. 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

It can happen but I still find it interesting that SW has been in the system going on 3 years now and has yet to solidify the starting position. That is my only question mark for this whole situation. We honestly should not be in this position with JJ and SW on our roster.

Well you are right, we shouldn't be in this position but the fact is we are. Heck, Sean has been here going on 3 seasons but wasn't  supposed to take over the starting position until next year....let that sink in. No wonder it's a cluster. The JJ collapse really screwed everything up majorly. 

5 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Well you are right, we shouldn't be in this position but the fact is we are. Heck, Sean has been here going on 3 seasons but wasn't  supposed to take over the starting position until next year....let that sink in. No wonder it's a cluster. The JJ collapse really screwed everything up majorly. 

On the field and in recruiting. None of the top QBs wanted to come and sit for 2 years behind JJ.

11 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Yes it did. Things would've been set up nicely if JJ played the way we thought he would. Both JJ and SW would've been broken in during their juniors years, each experiencing their first Iron Bowls at home. It didn't happen that way.  Now we are just trying to stop the bleeding until Gatewood is here.

Archived