JF3 posts a passing workout this morning

TitanTiger

32 minutes ago, AU64 said:

It's been uttered a hundred times on a dozen different threads......including one active on the site now.....and implied repeatedly by the frequent assertions that a guy with modest QB experience in JUCO is a better fit to start this year...... almost solely because he has a reputation as a running QB...or that the other 2 candidates don't run as well as if that is the primary need.   

But not this thread, right? So why pick an argument over spilt milk?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The only way I see a complete meltdown is if Sean gets the start and the receiver corps doesn't step up and do their part.

I know we all hope that problem is solved, geesh. Well at least this year we recruited and signed WRs that actually played WR in HS so there is hope.  

Posted a video of dude and look what you get....lol. It's just a workout and just because you're a fan of the other qb doesn't mean you have to be negative of this video....Gus really don't care what the comments of this board are so you're not helping the other qb by hating on this one

According to the "inside" people on other sites who know a lot more than me about AU football, JF3 is the leader in the clubhouse at this point to be the next QB at AU. As we all know this could change week one of fall practice. 

5 hours ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Mobile? Yes. A true running threat? No. SW's running was what got him injured last year.[/quote]

No offense but that's the most ridiculous logic I've read here in a while.  

I actually agree, I wouldn't say his running got him injured but his not knowing how to run probably helped. Like I've ALWAYS said running is much more than having speed and size or whatever, you have to know how to take a hit. How to minimize big hits, when to take on a guy and when to run out of bounds or slide. Oh yeah need to know how to slide as well

It's just a video, nobody can say a guy will win just because of a video. Only thing to really take from this is his enthusiasm and how he's doing everything possible to try to win the starting job. A work ethic like his is definitely a plus

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

That is not necessarily an asset....if I recall, the major criticism of Cam and Nick too,  were their tendency to tuck and run at the first sign of a rush or the fact that their #1 target was not open.

So JFIII would be the 3rd QB to tuck it and run too fast... And possibly the 3rd QB with that style to take AU to the Natty?

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

True...but I find it hard to believe that our receiver situation will not be improved.  We had every possible problem last year....an attitude, stone hands, bad routes, etc.   Things just seem to have no way to go but up IMO and the WRs will help the QBs this year.    

Having Jovon Robinson to hand the rock off to will help the qbs a bit also.

I skipped through many posts because I'm getting tired of it. A lot of good points made a lot of knowledge and obvious lack of as well. I will say whoever Gus chooses will be the qb. At least for a while. I'll support that pick. 

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

According to the "inside" people on other sites who know a lot more than me about AU football, JF3 is the leader in the clubhouse at this point to be the next QB at AU. As we all know this could change week one of fall practice. 

That's not right.  As of now, if the game started tomorrow, SW is the starter.  That said, they want to see a QB take the job and really want JF3 to do that. As of now, he has not, but is working towards that.

58 minutes ago, alexava said:

I skipped through many posts because I'm getting tired of it. A lot of good points made a lot of knowledge and obvious lack of as well. I will say whoever Gus chooses will be the qb. At least for a while. I'll support that pick. 

Profound. Probably the best analysis , I've heard on this issue.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

That's not right.  As of now, if the game started tomorrow, SW is the starter.  That said, they want to see a QB take the job and really want JF3 to do that. As of now, he has not, but is working towards that.

Yep as much as it pains me to agree with the yellow one

14 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Reactions are interesting.  I don't think anyone is saying this video settles the matter and JF3 is the starter.  Nor is anyone saying that Sean White and JJ and sitting around eating Cheetos and watching Netflix this summer.  It was just a glimpse of a workout.  I think it showed pretty decent ability to throw on target in a quick stop/turn/throw set up.  It was encouraging.  Not definitive, just encouraging.  Partly because some here have said he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn consistently.  He's obviously worked hard and continues to and it's going to make this fall camp very interesting.

I will say this though...I'm sure Sean is working out too.  But Sean's passing accuracy wasn't really in question and he is pretty close to his ceiling in that respect.  The things Sean would need to work on to give himself the advantage would be becoming an expert in the playbook, working on his play fakes particularly in the zone read, getting stronger, quicker/faster, more durable and putting more zip on the ball.  The only possible disadvantage is that most of those things have to do with physical attributes.  He can develop some of them but there's a limit to what you can do with what God gave you naturally.  He can be faster, but he's never going to be fast.  He can get stronger and throw harder, but he's never going to have a cannon.  He can put on some muscle and be more durable, but his bone structure is what it is - he can only put on so much muscle and weight.

I don't say that to say Sean won't be the starter against Clemson.  I'm just pointing out that the things JF3 needs to work on for the most part (besides his size) are things that can be improved greatly simply through learning better technique and mechanics - things that anyone can learn if they'll listen and practice.  A QB can take dramatic steps forward just incorporating that into their game even if they never get it to the precision level of an expert pocket passer.  But he has things that he brings to the table naturally that can't be taught and if there's an advantage he has in this competition, that's it.  Whether he can make up enough ground on the parts of his game that need work is the question, but I think if there's an edge in this battle, that's the edge in his favor.

Awesome post

22 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

You shouldn't. It isn't very difficult to hit passes to a single jogging WR going back and forth in a straight line..indoors...with no wind, nor defender, nor pressure. 

However, I do like that he is working hard on getting better. He definitely has the right attitude.

That drill isn't easy at all, it's not live football I will admit, but that drill isn't easy. 

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That drill isn't easy at all, it's not live football I will admit, but that drill isn't easy. 

i would have been more impressed if he had helmet and shoulder pads on. but you are correct it is not easy. the cat can really move.

47 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't think people even get that this was an off-day workout. Off day being the key words. It is not meant for him to be out in 130-degree weather, fully padded with Takeo Spikes chasing him around.

I guess, he could be like team bro, playing x-box live all day and smoking weed.

The drill may not be the easiest one, but it's basically the same throw each time, just at a different angle. He was throwing some darts, I'll give him that. The hard part is getting back to the ball, finding your target and setting your feet in a short amount of time. He is quick, and has a strong arm. No doubts about that. I'm happy to see that, but more happy to see he is improving, working hard and has a great attitude about it. He may well win the locker room with those attributes. That's not insignificant.  He has certainly gained favor in my eyes with what he's been doing since he arrived, and I suspect a lot of people feel the same. If he's given the green light in the opener because of the work he's put in, I'll be on board with it. 

But come on man, it is one WR jogging back and forth along a straight line across the middle. It wasn't different routes, showing different type throws to different WR's. 

21 hours ago, bigbird said:

19 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Yep as much as it pains me to agree with the yellow one

I bet he got into that funny birdseed again.

Archived