JF3 posts a passing workout this morning

TitanTiger

30 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

If we are using a pocket QB, I would personally love to see a quick Air-Raid'esque attack.  I will not be holding my breath for that though.

I just don't see any of our guys having a quick enough release for that. When I watch the guy form Texas Tech, he gets rid of the ball so fast which I think makes him so effective with that offense. Could be why he replaced the guy that ended up transferring.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Strychnine said:

If we are using a pocket QB, I would personally love to see a quick Air-Raid'esque attack.  I will not be holding my breath for that though.

I personally feel like there is some gray area between "dual threat" and "pocket", and I think both Sean and Jeremy fall in that area. They are not statues like Manning and Brady. And I think both have the physical skills to play outside the pocket without necessarily being true "running threats". This is where I personally feel comfortable making Brees comparisons in Sean's case, and where smarter football guys like cole256 feel a little more comfortable making Aaron Murray comparisons. And, looking at the Waggle concept in the Delaware Wing T- which is the offense Gus bases most everything off of- I see a lot of play action possibilities that get the QB outside the pocket and get a particular receiver open, which also seems to be a big part of Gus's MO and I think might play to Sean's strengths:

(EDIT: Throw in a legit track star for some special package plays... could be deadly.)

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I personally feel like there is some gray area between "dual threat" and "pocket", and I think both Sean and Jeremy fall in that area. They are not statues like Manning and Brady. And I think both have the physical skills to play outside the pocket without necessarily being true "running threats". This is where I personally feel comfortable making Brees comparisons in Sean's case, and where smarter football guys like cole256 feel a little more comfortable making Aaron Murray comparisons. And, looking at the Waggle concept in the Delaware Wing T- which is the offense Gus bases most everything off of- I see a lot of play action possibilities that get the QB outside the pocket and get a particular receiver open, which also seems to be a big part of Gus's MO and I think might play to Sean's strengths:

(EDIT: Throw in a legit track star for some special package plays... could be deadly.)

I agree about the gray area, and getting the QB outside the pocket.  For that matter, outside the pocket is where Nick Marshall did some of his best work.  I can see the Aaron Murray comparison with Sean White.  He is mobile enough that he is not an auto-sack when the pocket collapses, and could even pick up the occasional first down with his legs, but you would never mistake him for a running QB.

I was thinking more in terms of tempo, which I am hoping returns this season.  A quick passing attack to compliment the rushing attack would work wonders, preferably exploiting the intermediate ranges and middle of the field.

2 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I was thinking more in terms of tempo, which I am hoping returns this season.  A quick passing attack to compliment the rushing attack would work wonders, preferably exploiting the intermediate ranges and middle of the field.

Agree, big time. The long developing pass plays are great for an occasional big play attempt, but not nearly as frequently as they've been used lately. That has been painful at times. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

Agree, big time. The long developing pass plays are great for an occasional big play attempt, but not nearly as frequently as they've been used lately. That has been painful at times. 

I do think that is one aspect of Gus' offense where a true dual-threat QB plays a large part in making it work consistently.  Nick could run around long enough for it to open up.

Just now, Strychnine said:

I do think that is one aspect of Gus' offense where a true dual-threat QB plays a large part in making it work consistently.  Nick could run around long enough for it to open up.

Like this? (There's that quick release and cannon arm, too.)

https://youtu.be/H-OsxQwYNLU?t=24m6s

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Exactly, although that game itself was a work of art as an offensive clinic.  Mizzou actually had a good defense, seemed to try everything, and could do nothing to stop Auburn.  That game in particular I think was the best Auburn offense I have ever seen.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This is the exact play that came to mind when reading the Strychnine's post about NM running around and making something happen. That was a beautiful throw by NM and a great catch by Sammie!

Sigh. What a great night. We left the Dome, hopped on MARTA, went 3 stops, hopped off and went to the nearest bar to watch Michigan State play us into the BCSCG. What a month that was for Auburn fans. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

The Mighty Blue Hens

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sigh. What a great night. We left the Dome, hopped on MARTA, went 3 stops, hopped off and went to the nearest bar to watch Michigan State play us into the BCSCG. What a month that was for Auburn fans. 

We went to are hotel room and then all the Auburn Fans rolled the hotel! What a great night!

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

We drove back to Auburn. Caught the last part of the B1G Championship game in my dorm in S. Donahue. As soon as MSU won, we ran into the hall to go celebrate. Nearly got trucked by Carl Lawson, and started celebrating with all of the players. One of the coolest experiences of my life.

One thing that is evident from watching some replays from last year, we have too many long developing pass plays. Our QB is 5-7 yards behind the LOS sometimes faking a reverse with his back turned before he even turns his head and looks down field. That play ends in disaster way too often. I agree we need to some more quick passes (not more of the WR screens) but some slants or shots over to a TE or HB to accompany our running game. 

2 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

One thing that is evident from watching some replays from last year, we have too many long developing pass plays. Our QB is 5-7 yards behind the LOS sometimes faking a reverse with his back turned before he even turns his head and looks down field. That play ends in disaster way too often. I agree we need to some more quick passes (not more of the WR screens) but some slants or shots over to a TE or HB to accompany our running game. 

Heck yeah! I ran out of likes today so I'm just quoting. Nobody bites on the reverse anymore, everyone just stays at home. And by the time our QB turns around there's a 50/50 chance one of our tackles just got beat lol

16 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

The Miss St game is pretty evident 

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The problem is that play really works with a mobile QB and a decent offensive line. Otherwise, you're left with a sack or stop every time.

Not sure it works as a pass play with a mobile quarterback , more likely a guy like Nick turns upfield after a quick look toward his receiver and the pass play becomes an impromptu run.  Problem seems to me to be the timing of the call . Generally it is on a "known" passing situation and the defense has a full rush under way . 

On 7/22/2016 at 9:50 AM, McLoofus said:

Dang it!  Followed your link and wound up watching the entire game.  At the end of that season, the offensive pieces didn't just fit, they meshed. It was a thing of beauty for AU and a nightmare for opposing coordinators.

8 hours ago, AU64 said:

Not sure it works as a pass play with a mobile quarterback , more likely a guy like Nick turns upfield after a quick look toward his receiver and the pass play becomes an impromptu run.  Problem seems to me to be the timing of the call . Generally it is on a "known" passing situation and the defense has a full rush under way . 

If you'll notice, Mizzou dropped all 3 LB's and Marshall still had to improvise. Great play by Nick though. He was so calm under pressure. 

Archived