2017 3* ATH Kadarius Toney (Florida 5/4/16)

Auburn2Eugene

4_4515010.jpg

Eight Mile, AL (Blount)

Ht 6-0 Wt 177

6 major conference offers including 4 from the SEC

I couldn't find a thread on this guy. I just read an article on al.com that he wanted to go to Auburn. He is currently committed to Florida but says his options are open

Link

Kadarius Toney used to envision himself going to Auburn. While that isn't in the cards for the Blount quarterback at the moment, there's still a chance that could change.

Toney, who committed to Florida in May, took a brief visit to Auburn on Tuesday afternoon to work out and throw in front of the Tigers' coaching staff. Following a nearly three-hour stay, Toney felt like he gave Auburn's coaches something to think about.

"I think I did pretty good," Toney said.

Although he felt good about his performance in front of the Tigers' coaches, the three-star athlete left Auburn still waiting for a scholarship offer. He said he currently does not have plans to make a return trip to the Plains.

That doesn't mean he isn't hoping for an offer, however.

"I committed (to Florida), but my options are still open," he said.

Following his workout at Auburn, Toney said Auburn's coaches gave him some feedback on his performance, telling him ways to improve upon his accuracy and consistency in passing the ball.

Blount dual-threat quarterback Kadarius Toney commits to Florida

Blount dual-threat quarterback Kadarius Toney commits to Florida

Toney is rated as the No. 58 athlete in the nation, according to the 247Sports composite rankings and is the 38th-best player in the state of Alabama in the 2017 class. As a junior at Blount — which once produced record-setting Auburn quarterback Dameyune Craig, now the receivers coach at LSU — Toney passed for 3,604 yards and 37 touchdowns while adding another 896 yards and 16 touchdowns on the ground.

The 6-foot, 177-pounder currently holds offers from eight schools, including Florida, Alabama and South Carolina. He's still hoping Auburn comes around and extends an offer.

"It would mean something bigger because they were the first school I wanted to go to," Toney said. "In picking a college, I was thinking of Auburn at first, but they came in late into the race, so if it turns out that I come here, then we'll see."

Auburn does not currently have a quarterback committed to its 2017 class, though offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said this summer that the Tigers would like to add one signal-caller by National Signing Day in February.

At one point, Auburn had a commitment from four-star dual-threat quarterback Lowell Narcisse out of Louisiana, but he opened up his recruitment in January before committing to LSU in May. Last month, the Tigers missed out on former Baylor commit and IMG Academy four-star quarterback Kellen Mond, who chose Texas A&M instead.

"You don't want to lock yourself in, because you never know what happens from guys transferring out, to injuries, to guys leaving early for the draft," Lashlee told AL.com this summer in Brentwood, Tennessee. "In 2013 we brought in two guys and 2015 we brought in two guys. In one case they both stayed at quarterback, in another case on guy ended up moving to receiver. If things go the way they should, we'll probably sign one guy. That's ideal."

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OP & title updated.

I'm tempted to put this to the Rivals recruiting section since he is committed to Florida & is not an AU major target yet. Honestly I think we would take a juco before Toney from what I am hearing.

I hope the coaches have a great plan going forward. You hate to pass on a kid that WANTS to come to AU in hopes for some blue sky pipe dream that doesn't pan out.

8 minutes ago, gman87 said:

I hope the coaches have a great plan going forward. You hate to pass on a kid that WANTS to come to AU in hopes for some blue sky pipe dream that doesn't pan out.

It won't be for a blue sky pipe dream. He's just not high on the staff's board regardless if he's an AU fan or not. Heck, Malik Cunningham has become higher on the staff's board than KT.

It is so interesting when I watch the highlight films and rate the players. When watching Toney's highlight film, I see very good running ability and what looks like a very strong arm that is accurate. His only question I had on film is his size. I do not see the same arm strength when I watched Bishop's highlights. This is why I am not a real coach and talent evaluator.

I understand. It just seems eerily like our LB recruiting from the last 6 years....set top targets, miss top targets...collect warm bodies.

A couple years from now we will probably wonder how we let him get away.  But NOW .... when decisions have to be made it doesn't look like he is a QB that we need.

26 minutes ago, AU64 said:

A couple years from now we will probably wonder how we let him get away.  But NOW .... when decisions have to be made it doesn't look like he is a QB that we need.

It feels like we have already missed on five plus.

34 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I wonder how many more games we would have won last year if we had the Jax State QB playing for us.

50 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Combining the 2017 recruiting thread & looking at who we offered that we really wanted from the AU 247 offer list page it's 4 right now.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Combining the 2017 recruiting thread & looking at who we offered that we really wanted from the AU 247 offer list page it's 4 right now.

Is this a player you think we should be after?

3 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Is this a player you think we should be after?

I'm not an evaluator so IDK. I know WDE does not think he's an SEC QB. He lives in that area so he may have seen him play a good bit.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I'm not an evaluator so IDK. I know WDE does not think he's an SEC QB. He lives in that area so he may have seen him play a good bit.

I did not watch all of the video, but I saw plenty in those highlights that he would not get away with against a good defense.  I remember one play where he was being tackled and flipped the ball out to a teammate, with defenders everywhere, deep in his own territory.  That stuff works in high school.  In the SEC, the defense scores a TD.

Not a big fan of turning our heads from recruits who want to be in Auburn, especially homegrown recruits. This kid obviously is very talented and it wouldn't be far-fetch to see him under center in the SEC. I am not a coach either, though, so there is that. 

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Not a big fan of turning our heads from recruits who want to be in Auburn, especially homegrown recruits. This kid obviously is very talented and it wouldn't be far-fetch to see him under center in the SEC. I am not a coach either, though, so there is that. 

To me growing up an AU fan does not matter. I want the best players & people regardless of childhood fandom. Almost everyone who comes to AU falls in love with it anyway.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

To me growing up an AU fan does not matter. I want the best players & people regardless of childhood fandom. Almost everyone who comes to AU falls in love with it anyway.

That is cool if you feel that way, but that is absolutely NOT what I said. I said I am not particularly okay with overlooking a good athlete who WANTS to be at AU, especially someone who lives in Alabama. I don't care if you grew up an Auburn, Alabama, LSU, or Georgia tech fan in the state of Bama .  Yes, it is nice to get the very best players out there, but sometimes the best players aren't what fits the team's mold. I would much rather have a 3-star athlete who wants to be there, work their tail off and performs on the field for his team vs a blue chip athlete, who might not work as hard, has an attitude or ego issue and is about themselves more than the team. Now, that is just a generalization. Not all blue chips are like that, but I will hate for us to go after the "BEST Player" only for it to not work out for one reason or another, and UF get a productive player out of our own backyard. Just my .02 cents. 

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is cool if you feel that way, but that is absolutely NOT what I said.

It's ok to see them different but your statement & mine means thew same thing to me. It's called recruiting for a reason

Yes, it is nice to get the very best players out there, but sometimes the best players aren't what fits the team's mold.

Lol. That's why I said best player AND BEST PEOPLE. That obviously means the best players who are going to bust their asses & fit AU. 

Just now, ellitor said:

It's ok to see them different but your statement & mine means thew same thing to me.

Lol. That's why I said best player AND BEST PEOPLE. That obviously means the best players who are going to bust their asses & fit AU. 

So obvious, yet so hard for us to achieve. I am not trying to argue with you over this issue. My whole basis was to point out that we need to stop star gazing all the time and sometimes take on and mold players, who want to be here, especially players who are in our own backyard. I would hate to have another Pat White situation occur, all because we are chasing 4 and 5-star players, all who may be good individuals, but may have not ultimately worked out in AU favor, even if we could have gotten them to commit. I am not saying take any bloke off the street, but someone who has potential and a ceiling of growth?

If this Toney guy was number four on the COACHES QB board, then we're not the only ones star gazing. There is a reason why he is rated so low on their board. 

20 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

If this Toney guy was number four on the COACHES QB board, then we're not the only ones star gazing. There is a reason why he is rated so low on their board. 

That is the problem. Quit worrying about what everyone else is thinking and work on what Auburn needs. Prime example Lamar Jackson.  Another example, JF3. How many people's board was he on? Yet he is here. Potentially can freaking start. Again, I am not saying fill your roster with 3-star projects. I am only saying be wary of overlooking recruits, who do have a potentially high ceiling  and WANT to be here. 

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is the problem. Quit worrying about what everyone else is thinking and work on what Auburn needs. Prime example Lamar Jackson.  Another example, JF3. How many people's board was he on? Yet he is here. Potentially can freaking start. Again, I am not saying fill your roster with 3-star projects. I am only saying be wary of overlooking recruits, who do have a potentially high ceiling  and WANT to be here. 

That is probably why he is on the the board at all.  They see something in him, but they apparently see more in others.  If we intend to only sign one QB in this class, it makes sense to not go all-in on a 3* in July.

Just now, Strychnine said:

That is probably why he is on the the board at all.  They see something in him, but they apparently see more in others.  If we intend to only sign one QB in this class, it makes sense to not go all-in on a 3* in July.

I agree with this notion.

51 minutes ago, DAG said:

Did you read my post? I'm not worried about what the people outside of the Auburn think. I said:

"If this Toney guy was number four on the COACHES QB board, then we're not the only ones star gazing. There is a reason why he is rated so low on their board. "

I'm worried about being on the guy that the coaches thought was no better than fourth on their board. At that point, there has to be a pretty big drop off from number one to number four. 

Certainly don't think there's anything wrong with taking a commitment from this guy. Accurate arm, experience running the zone read, quick feet, ability to stay on his feet; he's got a lot of attractive traits about him. Wonder why we won't at least accept a commitment.

9 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Certainly don't think there's anything wrong with taking a commitment from this guy. Accurate arm, experience running the zone read, quick feet, ability to stay on his feet; he's got a lot of attractive traits about him. Wonder why we won't at least accept a commitment.

Merely signing warm bodies is nothing to strive for. Might as well sign another CB or DL and hope that Gatewood is the real deal real early. 

Archived