Freeze Possible Suspension?

AlaskanFAN

Has anyone else seen the article by Sporting News that says Hugh Freeze may be suspended?  Apparently there is a NCAA rule that came out in 2013 that says a coach can be held responsible for the infractions committed by their team. Any of you smart people know more about the possible suspension and/or the NCAA rule?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Has anyone else seen the article by Sporting News that says Hugh Freeze may be suspended?  Apparently there is a NCAA rule that came out in 2013 that says a coach can be held responsible for the infractions committed by their team. Any of you smart people know more about the possible suspension and/or the NCAA rule?

What do you think will happen when the NOA specifically names the head coach in allegations of booster/recruit violations?

• Booster provided transportation for recruit and notified asst coaches AND Freeze upon arrival
  • Booster arranged off campus meeting btwn a recruits family and an OM coach
  • Booster attended an in-home visit between a recruit and an asst coach AND Freeze
  • Booster paid a recruits phone bill
  • Booster paid the same recruits mother's phone bill
  • Booster provided recruit with transportation, lodging and tickets to a bowl game and notified ass coach of the plans
  • Booster arranged an off-campus meeting btwn and asst coach and another recruit's mother
  • Booster provided transportation for recruit, notified asst coach an upon arrival arranged free lodging in Oxford for recruit & family.  The next morning Booster provided transportation to Hugh Freezes house where Booster attended a breakfast with other OM coaches and the recruits family
  • Booster hosted an off-campus meeting at this own residence between asst coach and 3 recruits and their families
  • Booster provided transportation for another recruit to a hotel where he notified asst coach adn upon arrival two OM asst coaches assisted the recruit and his family with check in
  • Booster provided free academic assistance to a recruit
  • Booster purchased over $500 worth of clothing for 3 recruits

This is just 1 of the 8 Level I violations involving just 1 Booster.

Now, OleMiss is trying desperately to have the violation reduced because they say the guy isn't really a Booster, he's just the head of the Fellowship for Christian Athletes (FCA) in this area and he just wants to help youth better themselves out of the goodness of his Christian heart.

6 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

One thing is for sure, you start beating Bammer and it ain't long before the NCAA is crawling all up your arse!  

How did the Bammer get Laremy Tunsil to admit to getting paid by OleMiss coaches on national TV on draft night?  Did they get a booster to sabotage Hugh Freeze in this own home when the booster brought recruits to Hugh's house for breakfast and meetings with recruits and their families?

28 minutes ago, keesler said:

How did the Bammer get Laremy Tunsil to admit to getting paid by OleMiss coaches on national TV on draft night?  

That one's easy.  You can bet it was a bama fan that hacked his phone and posted the conversations between he and the coach.

I don't disagree with you that Ole Miss deserves the colonoscopy, but I don't have much trouble believing that the NCAA was lead in that direction by someone affiliated with bama.  We've seen it too many times... big game coming up against bama... something bad comes out about your school or one of your key players 1-2 weeks before, sparking NCAA interest. Beat bama... same thing.  Their boosters are notorious for trying to make sure the deck is always stacked in bama's favor, or that they have an excuse for losing (i.e. their favorite fallback, "Scam Newton"). 

Has it been specified for how long he'd be suspended? While it's obvious that Bama has the NCAA around its finger, I couldn't complain too much about OM's punishment if it ends up meaning one fewer tough opponent going forward.

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

Has it been specified for how long he'd be suspended?

This was nothing more than a random observation from Dennis Dodd, who by all accounts is an idiot.  No official statement has been made from Ole Miss or the NCAA about possible suspensions for anyone involved with OM Administration as there is still an investigation ongoing to the Tunsil stuff.

However, logic should tell us that with the pending accusations in the NOA  (8 Level I infractions on football alone) including academic fraud from previous staff + women's basketball + track & field infractions + multiple football coaches including the Head Coach named in the infractions + serious Booster involvement + the draft night drama of Tunsil publicly admitting on national TV that he was paid by coaches + with an Asst Athletic Director text messages about a payment plan ............ the NCAA hit them with a pillow shaped hammer can they?

This is Lack of Institutional Control over back to back Coaching regimes and Athletic Directors - they failed to monitor their own coaches activities including Booster involvement and with up to 3 different sports involved they didn't promote an atmosphere of compliance.

5 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

That one's easy.  You can bet it was a bama fan that hacked his phone and posted the conversations between he and the coach.

I don't disagree with you that Ole Miss deserves the colonoscopy, but I don't have much trouble believing that the NCAA was lead in that direction by someone affiliated with bama.  We've seen it too many times... big game coming up against bama... something bad comes out about your school or one of your key players 1-2 weeks before, sparking NCAA interest. Beat bama... same thing.  Their boosters are notorious for trying to make sure the deck is always stacked in bama's favor, or that they have an excuse for losing (i.e. their favorite fallback, "Scam Newton"). 

I may have agreed with you if it wasn't for the fact that the NCAA has been investigating Ole Miss since early 2012....They've been in the NCAA cross hairs for 3+ years over there and the investigation reached back to the previous staff and coaches.  

The real problem is that while under NCAA investigation the Ole Miss coaching staff, including but not limited to the Head Coach (Freeze) was dabbling with a big money Booster  - the NCAA found evidence of a long list of infractions with that specific Booster and noted such in one of the EIGHT Level I football infractions cited in the NOA.  And while still under NCAA investigation, Tunsil somehow went totally unnoticed by the OM Compliance Dept and was able to gain access to multiple loaner car for months on end.   

So while bama may have had a hand in this NCAA mess, the NCAA has been like bloodhounds in Oxford way before the Rebel Bears racked up these last two wins over bammer.

Has OM been handed the sanctions for their misconduct?  IF so, how bad are they and how will they effect the school's football program?

On 7/21/2016 at 4:25 PM, keesler said:

I may have agreed with you if it wasn't for the fact that the NCAA has been investigating Ole Miss since early 2012....They've been in the NCAA cross hairs for 3+ years over there and the investigation reached back to the previous staff and coaches.  

The real problem is that while under NCAA investigation the Ole Miss coaching staff, including but not limited to the Head Coach (Freeze) was dabbling with a big money Booster  - the NCAA found evidence of a long list of infractions with that specific Booster and noted such in one of the EIGHT Level I football infractions cited in the NOA.  And while still under NCAA investigation, Tunsil somehow went totally unnoticed by the OM Compliance Dept and was able to gain access to multiple loaner car for months on end.   

So while bama may have had a hand in this NCAA mess, the NCAA has been like bloodhounds in Oxford way before the Rebel Bears racked up these last two wins over bammer.

Go easy Keesler....you are messing around with some sacred conspiracy theories.

There could be more dirt coming around the corner. If what I'm hearing is true, Ole Miss will get the hammer thrown at them.

This will likely be OM's last best chance to win the SEC West in that what is likely to happen will set their program back for quit some time. If they are proven guilty, the west will have one less contender. Those top 10 recruiting classes will soon be a thing of the past for them.

On 7/22/2016 at 10:46 PM, AUwent said:

^ I hope you're right, but somehow I feel very little comes of it. I smell a slap on the wrist.

The NOA listed 8 Level I infractions on football alone including Academic Fraud.  I fail to see how OM could plead those violations down to a slap on the wrist.  

Add in 2-3 other sports under the hammer with serious allegations against them and this is a recipe for Lack of Institutional Control if I ever saw one.  

Just as an example of how poorly OM compliance has handled athletics......the NCAA found Tunsils car loaner issue the first time, and it amounted to +/- $2,500 in illegal benefits, the NCAA knew about it and warned OM to not let it happen again......Well, Tunsil via Cannon Motors went on "after" the NCAA warning and accepted more free loaner cars totally in $6,000 in benefits "after" the NCAA warning to OM.  OM Compliance failed to monitor Tunsil's loaner car activity and the NCAA punished Tunsil with a 7 game suspension.  However, that was punishment for the student-athlete ONLY.....OM still has to answer for their failure to monitor. Ole Miss has disassociated up to EIGHT (8) boosters so far that were named in the NOA back in January.  

There is some heavy booster involvement coupled with a near absent Compliance Department that went on for years. 

This one was an easy one to get picked up by the NCAA. When AU recruits are telling AU coaches that UM is paying recruits to show to UM visits it won't take long for the NCAA to get involved. I put this on the recruiting forum two years ago and people here blasted me. Multiple schools turned in UM. UM sucks at cheating and is going to pay. 

19 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This one was an easy one to get picked up by the NCAA. When AU recruits are telling AU coaches that UM is paying recruits to show to UM visits it won't take long for the NCAA to get involved. I put this on the recruiting forum two years ago and people here blasted me. Multiple schools turned in UM. UM sucks at cheating and is going to pay. 

I admit I threw digs at you when you put that on the recruiting board a few years ago.  I honest to goodness thought Freeze was doing it the "right way",  I started threads about OM on the Rivals board and told folks to watch out that their recruiting would pay off and they'd become a threat in the West.   My apologies WDE ~ I had no earthly idea they were running rouge over there.  I thought Freeze was a better man than that,

19 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Agree completely 

25 minutes ago, keesler said:

I admit I threw digs at you when you put that on the recruiting board a few years ago.  I honest to goodness thought Freeze was doing it the "right way",  I started threads about OM on the Rivals board and told folks to watch out that their recruiting would pay off and they'd become a threat in the West.   My apologies WDE ~ I had no earthly idea they were running rouge over there.  I thought Freeze was a better man than that,

No problem keesler. And I don't think Freeze is a bad man. Just sucks at cheating. They all do it one way or another. Just part of the game. 

26 minutes ago, keesler said:

You're not alone.  I recall asking WDE for details, specifically sighting that I was under the impression that Freeze was a good guy.  Live and learn.

30 minutes ago, keesler said:

Just so it's clear, there are no Saints in this business when referring to going against the NCAA's archaic rules. People are either going against the rules in some way or someone is doing it for them giving them plausible deniability.

Oh and regardless of what WDE posted years ago it should have been a give away for even the naive when Laquan Treadwell posted an instagram pic of him slapped his hand on a bunch of $100 bills while on his Rebs OV.

27 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Just so it's clear, there are no Saints in this business when referring to going against the NCAA's archaic rules. People are either going against the rules in some way or someone is doing it for them giving them plausible deniability.

Thank you. Alot of holier than thou going around. Freeze isn't a bad guy. 

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Thank you. Alot of holier than thou going around. Freeze isn't a bad guy. 

No offense, but how is it holier than thou stating that a coach who is knowingly presiding over blatant cheating, according to NCAA documents, is treading on bad guy turf? I don't know how the rest of the world was brought up, but I was taught that cheating was bad, no matter how many other people are doing it. 

Archived