Folks comparing QBs to Cam and Nick

Eagle Eye 7

Seems like every time we get a new QB everyone wants to compare them to NM or Cam. They may indeed turn out to be as good as they are some day  but the point I want to make is that NM and Cam were not just good because of their skill set. What both had was the ability to take control when the game was on the line. How many times did both continue to scramble until they could make a play. They never quit and they won their team-mates with their effort. So comparing someone with their skill set does little. For them to have the same success, they too must have the mindset that they are willing to carry the team on their back when needed. Those two were just winners. That is not to say they both didn't have good team-mates but it is to explain that their being great, was as much their mental determination as it was with thier size or quickness. Not going to find many with those combinations . Also it doesn't take a QB either. When you see a sucessful team you usually see a dominant player who is determined to make a play to turn momentum around when needed. I see a lot of canidates on this team capable of being that person, but until they do it in a game, there is no comparison. WDE

I hope you're right in that we don't need Mr. Everything at QB. Of course, what people forget is that three summers ago, there were numerous posters here (myself included, I think) warning people not to compare Nick to Cam.

^ and Jared, look at #8: https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-football-top-10-offensive-lines-in-notre-dame-stanford/

It's not unusual for people to want to compare to two QBs who took us to national championships, especially after so long without going. That's the main basis for the Nick comparisons.  Had we had 2 years like 2014 under Nick, he wouldn't get mentioned any more than Todd, Cox, etc.

As for comparing to Cam, everyone does it with every dual threat QB.  Cam is the benchmark.  It's kind of like how every year, someone is the "next Percy Harvin", even though there's never been a next Percy Harvin. I do find it funny when players families tout them as the next Cam, when they are 6' nothing and under 200. Seems people don't get that a big part of Cam's success is that he's a human battering ram.

Literally, every single DT type of QB of my generation, who is tall and has a dark pigmentation  will be compared to Cam Newton. It is not going to go away. No need to harp on it. I have hardly seen any comparisons to NM, other than JF3. 

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

Literally, every single DT type of QB of my generation, who is tall and has a dark pigmentation  will be compared to Cam Newton. It is not going to go away. No need to harp on it. I have hardly seen any comparisons to NM, other than JF3. 

Yup. But the Nick comparisons happen when the guy is relatively short. If he's bigger (JJ, Gatewood, even Logan freaking Thomas was getting Cam comparisons lol), they get compared to Cam.

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I can't wait to see the next Can Newton in action this year. My man Sean White. 

:laugh:

Jon Gruden compared Paxton Lynch to Cam. That should tell you that everybody is like Cam but Cam is like Super Man.

I'd rather see that, than comparisons to Joe freaking Montana.....talking about going overboard

19 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

similar running styles for sure

On 7/25/2016 at 1:23 PM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

That is pretty good. :thumbsup:

Archived