Surprises, disappointments, newcomers

corchjay

I'm getting in football mode now, football season is upon us ready or not.  Wanted to change things up a little.  Excluding the QB position who you guys think will be the biggest surprises, disappointments, and newcomers?

surprises- Robert Leff and Stephen Roberts

disappointments - Marcus Davis and Carlton Davis

newcomers - NCM and TJ Neil

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprises: Byron Cowart, Montavious Atkinson, Ryan Davis, Richard McBryde

Disappointments:  Austin Golson

Newcomers:  TJ Neal, Marlon Davidson, Nate Craig, Kyle Davis

39 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I'm getting in football mode now, football season is upon us ready or not.  Wanted to change things up a little.  Excluding the QB position who you guys think will be the biggest surprises, disappointments, and newcomers?

surprises- Robert Leff and Stephen Roberts

disappointments - Marcus Davis and Carlton Davis

newcomers - NCM and TJ Neil

I'm torn on choices so I'll list a few Surprises: Dampeer, Slayton, Dean, D Williams

Disappointments: Tray or Rudy. Tray just hasn't seemed like that nasty mean streak safety since his injury. As for Rudy I just can't shake the thought of that LSU game sometimes. Carlton is one of those that I just can't see being a disappointment.

Newcomers: NCM, KD, Davidson, Paul James/ TJ Neal

What exactly does newcomer mean? Get significant time in first year? I'd have to think that would be a surprise as well.

22 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I'm torn on choices so I'll list a few Surprises: Dampeer, Slayton, Dean, D Williams

Disappointments: Tray or Rudy. Tray just hasn't seemed like that nasty mean streak safety since his injury. As for Rudy I just can't shake the thought of that LSU game sometimes. Carlton is one of those that I just can't see being a disappointment.

Newcomers: NCM, KD, Davidson, Paul James/ TJ Neal

I can't shake Rudy's game against LSU either. PTSD, man.

5 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Surprise - Cowart

Disappointment - Rudy, never been a big fan of Rudy

Cowart waking up and making an impact impact would not be a surprise IMO.

Things may very well change but right now Rudy is seen as a top 3 Free Safety in the nation & projected to be a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick.

Surprises:The entire defense                                                                                                                  

Dissapointment:Tony Stevens

Newcomer: M. Davidson,TJ Neal

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

What exactly does newcomer mean? Get significant time in first year? I'd have to think that would be a surprise as well.

It means make the biggest impact their first year at AU.  Mine are NCM & TJ Neal.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It means make the biggest impact their first year at AU.  Mine are NCM & TJ Neal.

If anybody makes a big impact in their first year, I'd label that a surprise as well... Carlton Davis was both last year...

Surprise - Linebacker play (thanks T-Will!)

Disappointment - Tony Stevens

Newcomer - Kyle Davis

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Cowart waking up and making an impact impact would not be a surprise IMO.

Things may very well change but right now Rudy is seen as a top 3 Free Safety in the nation & projected to be a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick.

I need a link to this. 

4 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

If anybody makes a big impact in their first year, I'd label that a surprise as well... Carlton Davis was both last year...

Making the biggest impact does not necessarily mean make a big impact overall.

And I respectfully disagree on sentence 1. If a Sr with 1 year to play like TJ Neal comes in at a position of need at LB he is expected to at least bring very consistent play which is making an impact. If he doesn't & other LBs have not clearly passed him playing well then that would be a year 1 surprise in a disappointing way.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Making the biggest impact does not necessarily mean make a big impact overall.

And I respectfully disagree on sentence 1. If a Sr with 1 year to play like TJ Neal comes in at a position of need at LBhe is expect to at least bring very consistent play which is making an impact. If he doesn't & other LBs have not clearly passed him playing well then that would be a year 1 surprise in a disappointing way.

If you can still be dissapointed, you can still be surprised. We don't know if he will work out for us or not.

16 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

If you can still be dissapointed, you can still be surprised. We don't know if he will work out for us or not.

We don't know anything with how humans will do in situations but him being a Sr & having his own family already as well as graduating in 3 years it's logical to expect him to step up.

Disappointment is easy... Franklin. Even if he earns the start, it's going to be very hard for him to be the second coming that so many people are hoping for, so even if he plays and plays well, he will be a disappointment based on overall expectation, since he is not Cam or Nick.

My surprises are probably Cox and Pettway. While I think everyone expects something from both, based on the flashes we saw in A-Day and what Gus has said, I think both will be bigger difference makers than they are getting credit for to date.

Newcomers have to be the receivers... Nate and Kyle are the obvious choices, but I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the group make an impact. 

I'm going to do it for offense & defense

Surprise: Kam Pettway, Marshall Taylor

Disappointment: Tony Stevens, Tray Matthews

Newcomer: Nate CM & TJ Neal w/ Marlon D being a close 2nd.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Disappointment is easy... Franklin. Even if he earns the start, it's going to be very hard for him to be the second coming that so many people are hoping for, so even if he plays and plays well, he will be a disappointment based on overall expectation, since he is not Cam or Nick.

Franklin won't be a disappointment for me. My base line for him is a wildcat option QB. Anything more than that on the positive is gravy IMO.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Franklin won't be a disappointment for me. My base line for him is a wildcat option QB. Anything more than that on the positive is gravy IMO.

I'll join you among the realists, but my personal view of the overall temperature of the fan base is that the majority are expecting very big things... possibly even Gus included, so while some of us will be happy if he busts off a few big runs from the wildcat, I think most will be disappointed that he's not putting up huge numbers behind center on a consistent basis.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'll join you among the realists, but my personal view of the overall temperature of the fan base is that the majority are expecting very big things... possibly even Gus included, so while some of us will be happy if he busts off a few big runs from the wildcat, I think most will be disappointed that he's not putting up huge numbers behind center on a consistent basis.

And that would be their own faults.

Suprise: D- Holland / O- Cox

Disappointment : D- Matthews / O- Stevens 

Newcomers: D- Dean / O- NCM

Surprise- JF3, Dean, Cowart

Dissapointment-  senior wrs 

Newcomer- MD,NCM, KD, DB

JF3 as a surprise to those doubting him. I am expecting big things.

Archived