Surprises, disappointments, newcomers

corchjay

27 minutes ago, AUwent said:

You know that pic from the Bugs Bunny cartoon of the bull sharpening horns (I don't know how to post pictures)? That's (hopefully) going to be Rudy and Tray against LSU this year.

ZYAXAro.jpg

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, DAG said:

It is hard for me to believe that any respectable site would rank any of our LBs in the top anything from the last few years. As for Ford, I see the potential and I see the numbers, but I hope he is ready to play like Sean Taylor come September 24th.

Speaking of our former linebackers, nice graphic of Cass bringing the hammer.

Am I mistaken that Herb taught Gus about the zone read at Tulsa?  I remember reading that somewhere.  I also remember reading somewhere that Rhett and Gus have a system that involves Rhett reading the back end of the defense and reporting to Gus who then calls the play he believes would be successful.  If I'm not making this up in my head then Gus may have the 3 people that will optimize his offense the most.  This may also explain why the offense struggled last year if Rhett was leading the play calling duties.

10 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Am I mistaken that Herb taught Gus about the zone read at Tulsa?  I remember reading that somewhere.  I also remember reading somewhere that Rhett and Gus have a system that involves Rhett reading the back end of the defense and reporting to Gus who then calls the play he believes would be successful.  If I'm not making this up in my head then Gus may have the 3 people that will optimize his offense the most.  This may also explain why the offense struggled last year if Rhett was leading the play calling duties.

I think you are correct about Gus learning some zone read techniques from Hand.  However, the important thing for me though, is that Hand will be in the booth this season and both be the eye in the sky and be in Malzahn's ear during the game. 

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

ZYAXAro.jpg

Thanks. I remember someone posting this mentioning Laquon preparing for last year's game as revenge. Something I've noticed is that the media never plays up Auburn seeking revenge but when Auburn wins a big game that's all the media talks about the following year. It feels...disrespectful. But I digress.

6 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Am I mistaken that Herb taught Gus about the zone read at Tulsa? 

Possibly some but I don't know how much. Gus already used the Read O when he was a high school coach & he discussed it in his HUNH book..

Surprises: Darius Slayton, Chandler Cox, Devaroe Lawrence, Josh Holsey

Disapointments: Senior WRs, TJ Neal

Newcomers: NCM, Kyle Davis, Marlon Davidson, Derrick Brown Jamal Dean

Barring injury this will be the season we see a dominate DL.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 11:50 AM, ellitor said:

Top 4 overall S projected 1st or 2nd round

#3 Free Safety

I know... I couldn't believe it either.

thx E. Some folks always asking for a link to me makes me think they are not motivated enough to find their own info. May not always be the case.

2 hours ago, auclong said:

thx E. Some folks always asking for a link to me makes me think they are not motivated enough to find their own info. May not always be the case.

To be honest that bugs me too. I'm tired of being looked at the resident info retriever dog when people can do the simple google searches themselves.

5 hours ago, auclong said:

If you're giving new information, or if it is obvious that you ripped the new material from another site, Everybody should be asking for a link. I mean if you literally just gave the synopsis of an article, it shouldn't be hard to copy and paste the URL.

53 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

If you're giving new information, or if it is obvious that you ripped the new material from another site, Everybody should be asking for a link. I mean if you literally just gave the synopsis of an article, it shouldn't be hard to copy and paste the URL.

In this case I had linked it in another thread a few weeks ago. I did not feel like doing it again since it was already on the site, til WDE asked for the link.

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

In this case I had linked it in another thread a few weeks ago. I did not feel like doing it again since it was already on the site, til WDE asked for the link.

I didnt know what you are talking about. I haven't followed along at all. I don't read this site like a newspaper. I don't go through it all( sports related) in one sitting. If I get bored with the subject, I may not ever click on certain threads for weeks..  So there may be times when I miss stuff like the link that you posted a few days ago. 

On 7/29/2016 at 2:26 PM, Win4AU said:

With Gus at the helm of the offense this year and an off season where he's actually in the mix as starter I believe you'll see a lot more run option from Sean.  He'll probably get 5-10 yrds at most on average but he'll bust a 40yarder every now and then.  Just like many on here are quick to dismiss his running ability so will many opposing coaching staffs which makes him that much more dangerous.

This would be a surprise for me. Seeing "a lot more run option" from a QB who is already injury prone. No thanks. 

46 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

This would be a surprise for me. Seeing "a lot more run option" from a QB who is already injury prone. No thanks. 

Sean might run a few draws or an occasional option/QB keeper, but he hopefully won't be running a zone read heavy package. 

Just now, johnnyAU said:

Sean might run a few draws or an occasional option/QB keeper, but he hopefully won't be running a zone read heavy package. 

Agree 100% which is why i said no thanks to the a lot more read option. 

On 7/29/2016 at 2:48 PM, ellitor said:

SMH. Sean is a gritty kid but not comparable as a runner to Chad Kelly. To put the 2 in the same sentence that way is illogical and that's a nice way of putting it.

I didn't want to pull this out but I feel I have to give a reality check. Sean ran a 5.03 in the 40 at The Opening just before he came to AU. He is just not a runner people & will not have improved enough in that time to be a runner.

BINGO!

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I didnt know what you are talking about. I haven't followed along at all. I don't read this site like a newspaper. I don't go through it all( sports related) in one sitting. If I get bored with the subject, I may not ever click on certain threads for weeks..  So there may be times when I miss stuff like the link that you posted a few days ago. 

I was not talking about you in my post man. I just said I didn't post the link a 2nd time because I had before. It had nothing to do with who did or did not see it the first time.

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

I was not talking about you in my post man. I just said I didn't post the link a 2nd time because I had before. It had nothing to do with who did or did not see it the first time.

I know you wasn't. And I know it had nothing to do about who saw it or who didn't see it the first time. Just forget it. I'm not doing this with all day.

7 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I know you wasn't. And I know it had nothing to do about who saw it or who didn't see it the first time. Just forget it. I'm not doing this with all day.

Frustrating isn't it?

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Frustrating isn't it?

Apologies to the board. I'm just frustrated w/ people on the board who use me & expect me to do all their research for them while they are being lazy. The point of the "where to find free AU info" thread created a couple months ago was to get people to do for themselves.

On 7/29/2016 at 10:05 AM, Piketiger1990 said:

Hate to see Tony Stevens show up and so many disappointment predictions. Really wish he could step up and give us a tall red zone threat like Uzomah was.

Surprise: Chandler Cox

Disappointment: Tray Matthews

Newcomers: TJ Neal

My prediction last season was for Stevens to light it up with Jeremy since they had preestablished success in 13/14. But I guess since the passing game exploded and Jeremy was done throwing the deep ball after 3 games...eh

Archived