BG's Annual Iron Bowl Post (long)

BamaGrad03

Let me say this first: I hate Auburn. But hold on!!! Not like you think. I hate them because I have to. I hate them because it's required of every participant of this rivalry to hate their rival. And I love that.

I don't hate Auburn University or even Auburn fans (obviously given the fact that I'm still here). I'm actually VERY proud of what Auburn University means to this state, and what Auburn fans mean to the college football landscape.

I hate Auburn football because it's required of me. It's in my blood. And that's what makes this rivalry so freaking awesome. Make no mistake, this is the best rivalry in sports. And it's not even close. Don't give me Red Sox/Yankees. Or Michigan/Ohio State. Please. This rivalry gives me chills. This rivalry offers no escape for either side of the fence - especially to its in-state residents.

Does the state of Michigan come to a grinding halt when the Wolverines play OSU? Nope. Because there's Michigan State fans there. And there's Red Wings games to worry about. And how could Red Sox/Yankees best the Iron Bowl in rivalry lore when they play one another 16 times a year?

The Iron Bowl is 364 days of hatred and one day of hope. It's 5 year old kids crying because they don't want to go into the Auburn store. It is finding a way to have Tiger Walk at Bryant Denny Stadium. Or rolling your neighbor Bama fan's yard the day after Frank Sanders found the end zone to preserve an undefeated season.

The Iron Bowl is packing out the arena for an AWFUL basketball team, just to hear your rival's SGA president sing YOUR fight song and hand off the ODK trophy.

So this Friday, while youre all lathered up hating the other team in this historic rivalry, take a second and appreciate them...if for nothing else than being 50% of the greatest rivalry in the sporting world.

War Eagle and Roll Tide!

That's a good point BG, considering the direction of the AU BBall team this will be a good boost for them when the trophy comes back to town.

Good post. But it must be said. The Iron Bowl may be the most intense, hate filled rivalry, but it is by no means the best one.

Please. The Iron Bowl is unrivaled.

I hate Bama because it's a privilege. I hope your stadium falls down right after Sabear spanks Ginger because he lost a third game in just a few weeks. :moon:

Good post. But it must be said. The Iron Bowl may be the most intense, hate filled rivalry, but it is by no means the best one.

Please. The Iron Bowl is unrivaled.

I'm honestly not sure what that means. But we clearly just look at things a different way. I don't consider the hatred this game brings out to be a good thing. People should not treat each other the way they do over over this, and it's only gotten worse. Some of it may be good natured ribbing, but a majority of it is not. I'd be ok if we never played each other again, and just left each other alone. Yes, even if it ended now with us losing the last 2.

I'd be ok if we never played each other again, and just left each other alone. Yes, even if it ended now with us losing the last 2.

I couldn't agree more. It's more than good natured ribbing for some. It's literally their God. The way some people react to wins and losses by "their" team is just unhealthy. Truth be told though, it's usually by those who did not attend either school. The rival fans I find the most sane and willing to have a decent conversation about the game with are then ones who graduated or attended uat. Those who never go are the worst.

We hate you too, buddy :poke:

Seriously though, good luck to your crew Saturday. I hope they come away with nothing damaged but their ego Friday. You're an OK dude for a Bammer (kidding, of course)

I agree with you that the Iron Bowl is unrivaled. The Yanks/Sox is a close second in my mind but the intensity isn't quite the same as 365 days of anticipation.

I can't bring myself to type "IT" but good luck to you Friday. Here's to hoping we enjoy it just a bit more!

Cheers, man

The Iron Bowl is the most spiteful and BEST rivalry in college football. College football is all about the trappings of the game. You're not watching it because it's pure (you have Pop Warner or lower division High School ball for that). You're not watching it because it's the best of the best (that's the NFL). You watch because of history, rivalry, tailgating, and passion. If you take the spite and absurd competitiveness of the fans, you're left with a second tier representation of a game tainted by money. Wow. That's awesome. I'll take the spite. I'll take the silly talk-show callers. I'll take the absolutely-over-the-top stuff like training an eagle to fly in a stadium full of 90K people. I'll take renaming streets after dead coaches. I'll take all that because that's what makes both college football and the Iron Bowl special.

Oh yeah, and BG is totally a closet Auburn fan. He probably has Bo Jackson PJs.

The Iron Bowl is the most spiteful and BEST rivalry in college football. College football is all about the trappings of the game. You're not watching it because it's pure (you have Pop Warner or lower division High School ball for that). You're not watching it because it's the best of the best (that's the NFL). You watch because of history, rivalry, tailgating, and passion. If you take the spite and absurd competitiveness of the fans, you're left with a second tier representation of a game tainted by money. Wow. That's awesome. I'll take the spite. I'll take the silly talk-show callers. I'll take the absolutely-over-the-top stuff like training an eagle to fly in a stadium full of 90K people. I'll take renaming streets after dead coaches. I'll take all that because that's what makes both college football and the Iron Bowl special.

Oh yeah, and BG is totally a closet Auburn fan. He probably has Bo Jackson Cam Newton PJs.

FTFY

Good post BG. Honestly, I know more Bama fans with your attitude than the irrational ones referred to earlier in this thread. In fact we are watching a game at a Bama friends house in a mixed group from church. Should be fun.

I hope its a hard hitting, exciting and competitive game. I want these two teams to put on a clinic for the rest of the nation (with AU winning of course).

War Eagle!

Good post, well, good post considering the source. B) I must make one correction here though......bg wears Cameron Newton pjs. :big:

WAR EAGLE ! ! ! :au:

Very insightful post, BG. I have no doubt Bama will be the toughest of AU's remaining 3 opponents (even if the last one is for the MNC), & arguably their toughest opponent the entire season. Here's to what will undoubtedly be a thrilling game! :au:

Well said, BG!

As "enemies" go, you're one of the good guys.

Do I wish my state was also known for leading the nation in K-12 education? Was home to a booming economy? Was recognized for its civil, clean, effective government? ...it's moderate, tolerant, enlightened social attitudes? Of course!

But I'm proud to be part of the best damn rivalry in all of sports!

War Eagle and Rol..(well, you know :rolleyes: )

Archived