Toomer's Corner oak sapling planting on U.S. Capitol grounds

RunInRed

Here's an article about it...

Descendant of Toomer's oaks to be planted at U.S. Capitol

By Mary Orndorff -- The Birmingham News

WASHINGTON - A descendant of the Toomer's Corner oak trees will be planted on the grounds of the U.S. Capitol Friday morning, the idea of a Florida congressman who is a 1981 Auburn University alum.

U.S. Rep. Dennis Ross, R-Fla., started the process of getting permission to plant the tree well before the original oaks were poisoned, but the attack gave the idea even more merit, he said.

"That just made it more important that we get it done," Ross said Friday.

The architect of the U.S. Capitol, plus House and Senate leaders, had to approve the tree's addition to the Capitol grounds.

Although the oaks have become famous for their sports-related celebrations, he said it's Auburn's contributions as a land grant college he wants to honor.

"It symbolizes the heritage that land grant institutions provide this country," Ross said.

Ross, the youngest of five children growing up in Florida, started his freshman year at the University of Florida but wanted something different, so he hitchhiked to Auburn, "fell in love with the campus," and finished with a business degree.

He planted a Toomer's oak in his Florida front yard in 2005 and heard about the one planted at the Alabama Capitol in Montgomery a couple of years ago, so he started thinking about doing the same in Washington D.C.

The tree planting was postponed by the tornadoes, and it has been sitting in the office of the capitol architect for the last few days. He said it's about four-feet-tall and will eventually be marked with a sign or plaque so tourists can identify it as they stroll by. It will be near the intersection of First Street SE and Independence Avenue SE, on the House side of the Capitol.

"It's a small little tree with lots of room to grow," Ross said.

http://blog.al.com/sweethome/2011/05/post_5.html

:au: How cool! Taking my granddaughter to D.C. next summer. We'll be sure to visit "our" tree. :au:

Great. How long until bammers go poison that one too ? Or simply dig it up ?

<_<

<_<

After Auburn wins the next two Iron Bowl games, the tree is toast. Updyke might still be in the jug but whoever gave him the Spike herbicide and told him how to use it will probably be available for a repeat performance.

I'm proud that the tree is planted. Apparently there is a microclimate there that allows a live oak to live that far north. I hope it does well.

As a side issue about waste in government, how much did the taxpayers pay for chrome shovels?? There's no telling how expensive these "little" wastes are that exist in our governments from top to bottom. Cut it out. Just get the shovels the Capitol gardners use and use them.

<_<

After Auburn wins the next two Iron Bowl games, the tree is toast. Updyke might still be in the jug but whoever gave him the Spike herbicide and told him how to use it will probably be available for a repeat performance.

How no one else has been fingered for this hit on the Toomer's Trees is beyond baffling.

Oswald as the lone gunman? I can buy. Updyke not having at least 1 accomplice?

No way in hell.

And as for the ceremonial chrome shovels, I'm guessing there's on in D.C., and they just clean 'em off and bring out a few, as needed. I mean, it's not like the Federal Govt is going to go out and buy brand new, shiny shovels for each and every ceremonial planting..... oh, wait. Never mind. <_<

Went by on my lunch break to take a look. Someone already had 'rolled' it.

capitoltoomers1.jpg

capitoltoomers2.jpg

capitoltoomers3.jpg

Wow, that's quite a pedigree to take root in Washington :lol:

If somebody does decide to attempt to poison this tree wouldn't it be an act of terrorism on federal grounds? Regardless, my bet is our capitol has better security than Toomers!

It was rolled on Saturday at 3pm. The TP says "Welcome to DC, War Eagle" It has always been a bucket list of mine to be able to roll toomers. However, I do not get down to Alabama often. Thus, as soon as I saw a tree had been planted I just had to roll it, especially with the poisoning of the trees I don't know if I will ever get the chance to do it at Auburn.

It was rolled on Saturday at 3pm. The TP says "Welcome to DC, War Eagle" It has always been a bucket list of mine to be able to roll toomers. However, I do not get down to Alabama often. Thus, as soon as I saw a tree had been planted I just had to roll it, especially with the poisoning of the trees I don't know if I will ever get the chance to do it at Auburn.

Ha - very cool. Welcome to AUFAMILY and War Eagle!

Went by on my lunch break to take a look. Someone already had 'rolled' it.

capitoltoomers2.jpg

Put a smile on my face.

Thanks

Did they plant that thing in the black plastic container?

Those four probably did, then a professional came behind them and did it correctly, added soil ammendments, the mulch, the little fence, etc.

Pretty cool though. I will certainly make it a point next time in DC to swing by and take a look.

Thought crossed my mind today-does this tree need a name?

And not like a formal name, but something to call it or the area.

• 3 years later...

<_</>

How no one else has been fingered for this hit on the Toomer's Trees is beyond baffling.

Oswald as the lone gunman? I can buy. Updyke not having at least 1 accomplice?

No way in hell.

And as for the ceremonial chrome shovels, I'm guessing there's on in D.C., and they just clean 'em off and bring out a few, as needed. I mean, it's not like the Federal Govt is going to go out and buy brand new, shiny shovels for each and every ceremonial planting..... oh, wait. Never mind. <_</>

Updyke hasn't brains enough to figure all that out on his own.

Archived