AU-MSU post game thread

TitanTiger

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully we can improve as much between this game and Clemson as we did between Utah St. and now. This game I liked what the O-line did but wasn't as impressed with Trotter. Mind you, I'm not complaining about him either but I think as he learns to disguise what he's doing, the offense is going to improve quite a bit. Special teams were amazing. It seemed like the secondary and pass rush improved. I'm not sure how they are going to address the rushing defense but look forward to seeing!

Great game and finish by defense on last play; but one of these days I would really like to see the offense take control of the game when we have a lead in the 4th quarter...

LSU is probably going to beat Miss St pretty bad. MSU is banged up far more than they expected to be after this game, and they have only 4 days to prepare. They put everything they had into trying to beat Auburn...and fell short. They'll be 0-2 in the SEC next Fri morning.

LSU is probably going to beat Miss St pretty bad. MSU is banged up far more than they expected to be after this game, and they have only 4 days to prepare. They put everything they had into trying to beat Auburn...and fell short. They'll be 0-2 in the SEC next Fri morning.

Agree completely. That MSU QB is a tough dude. He took a real beating today.

Had our defense done as well at alignments and communication against Utah State as we did today, we would have won comfortably. MSU is a much better team than USU. Defense was gassed at the end but only gave up 10 pts after halftime. I saw improvement even if the stats aren't pretty.

Agree completely. That MSU QB is a tough dude. He took a real beating today.

Yeah he is. Had Miss St played LSU today and not next The they'd have a much better chance of winning. But right now they're beat up. And I doubt they can get their act back to gether in 4 days.

Seriously, what are the odds that Relf goes down without crossing the goalline. There appreared to be NO WAY that Ryan Smith could have kept him from scoring. That was a spectacular finish. These guys are getting great lessons that will pay huge dividends down the road.

A question on the Ballard jump that was spotted on the 1 yard line.

I thought the rule was that he had to have the ball inside the pylon but Andre Ware said otherwise, anyone know for sure what the rule is?

Great game, great effort. We have a lot to work to improve but we also have a lot to build off of. This team has a high ceiling if they continue to mature and gel together. O-line looked much better, the d-line looked more aggressive. The secondary played better. We still need better LB play but Bull did make a difference. If we can learn to stop the damn option...

Rule changed this year. The plane of the goal does not extend beyond the pylon anymore. He would have to get the ball directly over or inside the pylon as he goes by for it to count.

I thought the rule was that he had to have the ball inside the pylon but Andre Ware said otherwise, anyone know for sure what the rule is?

Ware is an idiot. he had me calling him so more than once today

Hopefully we can improve as much between this game and Clemson as we did between Utah St. and now. This game I liked what the O-line did but wasn't as impressed with Trotter. Mind you, I'm not complaining about him either but I think as he learns to disguise what he's doing, the offense is going to improve quite a bit. Special teams were amazing. It seemed like the secondary and pass rush improved. I'm not sure how they are going to address the rushing defense but look forward to seeing!

Agree! Agree!!!!

Ware is wrong. The goal line ends at the pylon. It goes UP forever, but not laterally. Otherwise someone in the upper deck could score a TD. Ware basically said someone out of I-85 could score. They can't.

ACtually the goal line does still extend beyond the sidelines. That particular play is governed by an exception that is listed in rule 4-4-E

Out of Bounds at Forward Point

When a ball carrier dives or jumps toward the sideline and is airborne as

he crosses the sideline, forward progress is determined by the position

of the ball as it crosses the sideline (A.R. 8-2-1-III and IV).

Here's the definition for GOAL LINE

Goal Lines

ARTICLE 2. The goal line at each end of the field of play runs between the

sidelines and is part of the vertical plane that separates the end zone from

the field of play. This plane extends beyond the sidelines (Exception: Rule

4-2-4-e). The two goal lines are 100 yards apart. The entire goal line is in the

end zone. A team’s goal line is that which it is defending (A.R. 2-11-2-I).

ACtually the goal line does still extend beyond the sidelines. That particular play is governed by an exception that is listed in rule 4-4-E

Out of Bounds at Forward Point

When a ball carrier dives or jumps toward the sideline and is airborne as

he crosses the sideline, forward progress is determined by the position

of the ball as it crosses the sideline (A.R. 8-2-1-III and IV).

Nope. That rule was changed for this season:

Goal Line Plane Extension changed.

Now the Goal line plane runs between the pylons, and includes the entire pylon. The plane no longer exists beyond the pylons except in two specific cases: (a) When a ball carrier touches the pylon, and (B) when the ball carrier touches the ground in the end zone.

Examples: Play #1: The ball carrier dives for the corner of the end zone, leaping at the one yard line. The ball - in his possession: (a) touches the pylon; (B) goes over the top of the pylon; or © crosses the goal line inside the pylon. The player then first touches the ground three yards beyond the goal line out of bounds. Ruling: Touchdown in all three instances. The ball broke the plane of the goal line in the player’s possession.

Play #2: The player heads for the right pylon of the goal line. At the two yard line he dives or is blocked into the air by an opponent. The ball – in his right hand – crosses the sideline at the one yd/line and passes outside the pylon. Then the runner while air born (a) touches the pylon with his foot or left hand; or (B) first touches the ground three yards beyond the goal line out of bounds. Ruling: In (a), Touchdown, since the plane is extended because the player touched the pylon. In (B), the plane is NOT extended, because the player did not touch the pylon or the ground in the end zone. The ball is out of bounds at the one yd/line. No Touchdown.

Play #3: The ball carrier heads for the right pylon of the goal line. The ball in his right hand crosses the extension of the goal line outside (to the right of) the pylon. The runner is (a) deemed to have stepped on the goal line; or (B) deemed to have stepped on the side line inches from the goal line. Ruling: Touchdown in (a) since the plane is extended by touching the ground in the end zone. In (B) there is no touchdown because the player did not touch the pylon nor did he touch the ground in the end zone. The goal line is NOT extended. The ball is ruled out of bounds at the point of crossing the side line.

Play #4: The ball carrier heads for the right pylon of the goal line with the ball in his right hand. His foot hits the pylon just before the ball (a) crosses the pylon; or (B) crosses the extension of the goal line outside the pylon. Ruling: (a) and (B) No touchdown in either case. Because the pylon is out of bounds, the ball is dead once the runner’s foot hits the pylon. Thus the ball is dead in both cases before it crosses the goal line or the side line.

Play #5: The ball carrier is hit and his forward progress is stopped inbounds near the goal line at the side line to his right. When he is stopped, the ball is in his right hand extended beyond the goal line (a) inside the pylon; or (B) outside the pylon. Ruling: In (a) the ball extended inside the pylon across the goal line creates a touchdown and the ball is dead at that point. In (B) no part of his body touched the pylon or the ground in the end zone. In this case the plane is NOT extended for a touchdown. The ball is dead short of the goal line.

http://texastech.scout.com/2/1097350.html

Sailing through the air without touching the endzone or the pylon or getting the ball inside the pylon results in no TD.

Of the ball, exactly. That's why either Miss St's 1st or 2nd TD (I forget which) did count. The player was out of bounds but the ball was still inside the pylons. The ball has to remain in bounds.

The whole radio headset thing really irked me

Me too. For some reason, I thought MSU was being mischievous about it. I think they felt CDM calling plays without Auburn D coaches radioing down info to CTR was an advantage. They were working fine one series later.

Archived