Barrett Trotter (Lengthy)

StatTiger

Through 5 games into the 2011 season, the Auburn offense is currently No. 80 in total offense and No. 52 in scoring offense. This includes a No. 37 ranking in run-offense and No. 60 ranking in pass-efficiency offense. Despite Auburn’s average output on offense, the Tigers are 4-1 but obviously won’t win many additional games if the offense doesn’t improve. As of late, Barrett Trotter has become under more scrutiny, which is the normal reaction of fans to point the finger at the quarterback when all is not well with the offense. Along with this fine tradition of blaming the starting quarterback is the common theme that the backup quarterback would play much better if just given the chance. In some cases, its probably the truth but in most cases, its not.

Of the 100 quarterbacks ranked by the NCAA at the FBS level, Barrett Trotter is currently the No. 56 quarterback with a rating of 137.6. He has completed 59.8 percent of his passes for 7.34 yards per attempt. He has 9 touchdown passes and 5 interceptions on the season. Now some would look at these numbers and state Auburn could do better and he is the primary reason why Auburn is struggling on offense but that would be the easy way out. If this were true, how do you explain A.J. McCarron being the starting quarterback of the No. 2 team in the country with a quarterback rating of 134.5, ranked No. 62 nationally? Despite having a lower pass rating than Barrett Trotter, McCarron is part of an Alabama offense that is averaging 438-yards and 38 points per game.

Perhaps McCarron has a better supporting cast and Alabama is not asking McCarron to carry the offense but just to be a working portion of it. Speaking of supporting cast, having a solid offensive line is the driving force of any successful offense.

Protecting Auburn’s Quarterback:

- From 1990-2011, Auburn has allowed the quarterback to be sacked every 14.2 pass attempts.

- In 2009, Auburn’s quarterbacks were sacked every 17.3 pass attempts.

-In 2011, Auburn’s quarterbacks have been sacked every 10.5 pass attempts, which is below the standard average established over the past 22 seasons. It’s also the 20th worst sack ratio over the past 22 seasons.

-Through 5 games, Barrett Trotter has been sacked 11 times and hurried 27 times. That translate to a sack every 11.1 pass attempts and severe pressure every 4.7 pass attempts.

-Auburn is currently No. 81 nationally in protecting its quarterbacks from being sacked and 106th nationally in allowing tackles for loss.

Does this sound like a strong working environment for Barrett Trotter?

There is no disguising the fact Auburn’s offensive line is still a work in progress and the coaches are working diligently to improve it but until that time comes, the Auburn pass-offense will continue to struggle along with the running game. Just to put things into better perspective, here is an offensive comparison of the 2009 and 2011 Auburn offenses through 5 games.

-The 2009 Auburn running game averaged 5.42 yards per rush and the 2011 offense averaged 4.57 yards per run.

-The 2009 offense went “3 & out” 20 percent of the time and the 2011 offense is currently at 31 percent.

-The 2009 offense converted 46 percent of their 3rd downs and the 2011 offense is currently at 42 percent.

-The 2009 offense allowed 2 sacks from 148 pass attempts and the 2011 offense has allowed 12 from 126 pass attempts.

There are those who advocate a quarterback change, with a high percentage of fans wanting to see Kiehl Frazier. The thought process is that a mobile quarterback should help the OL and limit the number of sacks. Though I have no doubt Frazier has a better chance of avoiding a sack than Barrett Trotter it doesn’t change the fact there is a consistent pass rush to avoid. If you are having problems with your water faucet, you don’t replace pipes; you repair the faucet. Though Auburn is working to expand Kiehl Frazier’s role in the offense, Coach Gene Chizik is made it clear the coaches are comfortable with Frazier’s ability to operate the complete offense. A logical conclusion would be if Frazier or Clint Moseley were the answer now, Gus Malzahn would be foolish not to start them now. No fan wants or needs to be more successful than the coaches themselves. It’s also important to remember that Dameyune Craig was sacked 35 times in 1997 despite being fleet of foot. I do like the way the coaches have brought Frazier along slowly and I have no doubt he will be successful when his time comes to be the starting quarterback. For now, I trust the coaches decision to play the quarterback that gives Auburn the best opportunity for success. It just makes a lot of sense as silly as it might sound.

Performing Under Pressure:

I have seen comments that Barrett Trotter buckles under pressure and he’s just not good enough to lead a SEC caliber offense. Here are some interesting facts about Trotter.

-He currently has a pass rating of 176.7 on 3rd down, which is considerably higher than the average overall quarterback rating of FBS quarterbacks, which is about 125 to 127.

-How good is Trotter’s 176.7 rating on 3rd down? Cameron Newton had a rating of 159.3 in 2010. Chris Todd had a rating of 118.9 in 2009 and Brandon Cox had a rating of 95.7 during his senior year as a 3-year starter.

I always look at pass ratings on 3rd down to get a better idea of just how good a quarterback is performing because 3rd down is the most difficult down to be successful.

- When Auburn has faced 3rd & 7 or longer this season, Barrett Trotter has a pass rating of 198.5, converting 41 percent of his 3rd downs, passing the football.

-Under the same circumstances, Newton had a pass rating of 123.4 facing 3rd and long, converting 29.3 percent of those 3rd downs.

-In 2009, Chris Todd had a rating of 100.1, facing 3rd & long, converting 28.3 percent of those 3rd downs.

- In 2007, Brandon Cox had a rating of 75.4, facing 3rd & long, converting 21.3 percent of those 3rd downs.

If performance on 3rd downs isn’t enough to convince you of Trotter’s abilities, how about performance, when the teaming is trailing on the scoreboard? Here is a look at Auburn’s quarterback numbers, when Auburn is losing on the scoreboard.

-Barrett Trotter has a pass rating of 178.6, when Auburn is losing with 44.7 percent of his pass attempts resulting in a first down.

-Cameron Newton had a pass rating of 184.5, when Auburn was losing in 2010 with 44.0 percent of his pass attempts resulting in a first down.

-In 2009. Chris Todd had a pass rating of 133.4, when Auburn was losing, with 29.6 percent of his pass attempts resulting in a first down.

-In 2007, Brandon Cox had a pass rating of 100.9, when Auburn trailed on the scoreboard, with 24.7 percent of his passes resulting in a first down.

Do the above numbers indicate Trotter cannot perform under pressure?

Some fans have stated that Barrett Trotter holds the ball too long. I’ve heard that he is too slow in his progressions and he doesn’t go through his progressions at all. Which one is it? I guess you could say both if you simply wanted a quarterback change. I’ve heard he stares down his receivers too much and he relies on Emory Blake too much. I won’t address the progressions debate because I don’t know Auburn’s passing progressions for each passing play. I could guess but won’t bother but I would imagine when most fans talk about pass progressions, they actually have no idea either but it does sound cool to say. Does he stare down his receivers? I have no doubt he does because if Peyton Manning or Tom Brady still do it from time to time, I would imagine Barrett Trotter does too as a first year starter at the collegiate level. As far as targeting Emory Blake, I believe it to be more system related than Trotter based on the percentage of pass attempts directed at Blake being about the same as Chris Todd, throwing to Darvin Adams in 2009 and Cameron Newton, throwing to Darvin Adams in 2010. The “one” receiver in Malzahn’s offense has been targeted about 25-28 percent at Auburn.

How can Auburn help Barrett Trotter become more efficient?

-The offensive line needs to improve for Trotter and the entire offense to improve.

-It would help if Gus Malzahn called more pass plays on first down. Throwing only 3 times on 35 first down plays made the offense extremely predictable, which not only hurt the passing game, it also made defending the run on first down easier.

-Having more pass attempts on 3rd down than 1st down is not a good thing because you are throwing more when you have to than when you want to. Only 28.7 percent of Trotter’s passes have come on first down.

-39.8 percent of Stephen Garcia’s passes have come on 1st down. It’s 47.1 percent for Tyler Wilson of Arkansas and 45.0 percent for AJ McCarron of Alabama. It’s 39.2 percent of Tyler Bray of Tennessee and 37.8 percent for Aaron Murray of Georgia. Before he was injured, it was 35.3 percent for John Brantley of Florida. All six quarterbacks have attempted more passes on first down than 3rd down but this is not the case for Barrett Trotter, who has been placed in a position of playing uphill.

- In the last 2 games, Trotter has completed 8 passes on first down for a grand total of 17-yards. The wide-receiver screens just aren’t working right now and Auburn would be better off throwing a little further down field. How about some crossing routes and slants on first down?

-For the season, he is completing 69.2 percent of his passes within 10-yards of the line of scrimmage. More short crossing routes would allow Auburn to take advantage of Travante Stallworth’s quickness or Brandon Fulse’s size. I would add Philip Lutzenkirchen but he ism playing more “5” than “3” because he’s being utilized as a fullback more than a TE.

For those that took time to read all of this, I truly appreciate your time. I hope some who have been negative towards Barrett Trotter will cut him some slack based on the data and information I provided. He won’t be winning a Heisman Trophy any time soon but Trotter is extremely intelligent and a strong competitor. When given time to throw, he has placed the ball where it needs to go more often than not. His numbers against South Carolina were nothing to write home about but he did convert 5 third downs, throwing the football and picked up a sixth, with his feet. He has made critical plays in every game this season, directing 2 game-winning drives. Has he been consistent? No he has not but it is primarily due to an inexperienced offensive line and being placed in too many obvious passing situations. That is not a good combination for ANY quarterback.

War Eagle and beat Arkansas!

Nice analysis, Stat. I agree, some increased time in the pocket would help BT become a more effective weapon. And I agree wholeheartedly on the screen statement. With the exception of Saturday's freeze screen you highlighted, the screens have been largely ineffective this season. Quick slants or quick outs would be more effective on first downs IMO.

I do enjoy seeing Frazier come in and agree that bringing him along slowly is the preferred method.

Nice write up as always.

One area Trotter can will improve on is facing a blitz. I've notice if the other team sends a blitz he holds the ball to long. I find myself saying throw it now at the TV. He often will steps up to dodge a guy, so I know he is reading the pressure. He needs to hit a hot route or throw it away more. I think after 7 or 8 games Trotter will look like a more polished QB. Personally I think Cam became more polished after 7 or 8 game last year also. Even Cams throwing motion looked better as the season progressed. Finally, even though Trotter is getting sacked he's a tougher QB than I thought he would be.

Stat - Outstanding. Thank you.

One question ... do any of the sacks fall on Barrett shoulder's (i.e., is he holding the ball too long in certain situations)?

I have to agree with you here. You hit the nail on the head! I have been wondering the same thing with all the play calling issues that have been going on. Consistent use of screen plays when the opposing team knows you're not going to throw slants or passes of atleast 10 yards down field aren't going to get you nowhere. Continuously running the ball on every 1st down is ridiculous. There is no change up, nothing to throw the defense off and keep them honest. Then you have plays on 3rd down with short yardage like 3rd and 1 or 2. Why do these turn into pass plays and not run plays? This especially happened during Clemson when we needed to sustain drives and could have possibly scored more to turn the tide. I think the majority of the issues come from the OC coach not putting the offense in a good position to get the job done. Just my 2 cents..

The only 2 issues that I see from Trotter are that he does hold the ball too long sometimes (and you can tell he knows it from time to time after a sack), and he leaves the pocket too early at other times. Do I blame him? Nope. I'd be shell-shocked, too. And the way he has played on late drives has been really ballsy. But those are areas that I think he could work to improve in, and he actually improved on them as it got late in the game Saturday. I'm not down on him today.

Agreed with your points on how Auburn can help Trotter. Also, CGM sets him up to fail when he calls those rollouts to the right IMO. I get that he's trying to buy him some breathing room, but that seems like an awfully hard throw he's asking him to make.

Very nice breakdown, Stat!

As you stated, our screen game is just non existent right now. I think that it stems from the root of our ineffectiveness on offense right now too. That being, the perimeter blocking.In the USCe game there were multiple times where Stallworth should have just layed down before the snap as the block he performed on "his guy" would have been the same.

Very nice breakdown, Stat!

As you stated, our screen game is just non existent right now. I think that it stems from the root of our ineffectiveness on offense right now too. That being, the perimeter blocking.In the USCe game there were multiple times where Stallworth should have just layed down before the snap as the block he performed on "his guy" would have been the same.

Yup. Now we're learning more about why so many of these guys with obvious playmaking skills sat on the bench behind Kodi, T-Zac and Darvin.

The only 2 issues that I see from Trotter are that he does hold the ball too long sometimes (and you can tell he knows it from time to time after a sack), and he leaves the pocket too early at other times. Do I blame him? Nope. I'd be shell-shocked, too. And the way he has played on late drives has been really ballsy. But those are areas that I think he could work to improve in, and he actually improved on them as it got late in the game Saturday. I'm not down on him today.

Agreed with your points on how Auburn can help Trotter. Also, CGM sets him up to fail when he calls those rollouts to the right IMO. I get that he's trying to buy him some breathing room, but that seems like an awfully hard throw he's asking him to make.

^^^^ Agree 100%. I was only calling for KF to get more reps in USCe game b/c it was easy to see that the combo of KF & Dyer where giving USCe problems and the offense had a steady tempo and we where not predictable. CGM does set Trotter up to fail with some play calls; he must use Trotter's strenghts and scrambling/throwing on the run is not really one of them.

With the game on the line...yes I want to see Trotter in the game b/c he has proven he can execute...but i think there will be games where KF along with Dyer & Omac will allow our offense to be more dynamic and situations will call for it; as well as allow our offense to be less predictable. Basically like the Chris Leak & Tim Tebow deal that was at UF.

Like most anything else, it's not any one thing. It's any number of things at a particular time, such as:

1. Breakdowns in pass protection - e.g., on one sack, the OL got crossed up and Melvin Ingram (I think?) came free for a sack. (

2. Sometimes you have to give credit to the other team (especially in predictable situations). USC has at least three NFL-ready D-linemen (Ingram, Clowney, Taylor). I wouldn't want to have to block them, especially not on 3rd and long.

3. We're too predictable - Not much to add to what's been said already, here. If running up the middle 8-9 times out of 10 on first down gets us a win, so be it, but you're not doing your QB any favors, if it doesn't work consistently. My fear is that, in a matter of a couple weeks, CGM has lost confidence in Trotter, almost completely.

4. Trotter leaving the pocket too early - I think there may be opportunities for him to step up into the pocket, rather than running away.

5. Trotter not being decisive when he leaves the pocket - You get the sense sometimes that he thinks he can just out run the defenders. At Briarwood? Maybe. In the SEC? Negative. If you don't find an open receiver or (plenty of) room to run QUICKLY, throw the ball away; don't make a bad play worse by forcing a throw into coverage (especially on the run).

6. Trotter forcing the ball - No doubt (at least) the two INT's vs. USC were poor, poor decisions. You have to wonder if he's pressing. Whether it's to overcome all the recent negatitivy about the offense, looking over his shoulder for KF (not because of a lack of mental toughness, etc., but because he's human), or whatever, at this point I think a lot of it's in his head.

7. Trotter needs to get back into a rhythm - CGM didn't help him much Saturday. Hopefully, CGM will free him up a bit early Saturday, and he'll find his groove again. Getting Blake back would be a huge help in this regard, obviously, to give Trotter a greater comfort level. In any case, we're not going to win Saturday without Trotter. Sixteen points isn't going to get it done vs. the Hogs.

I'm sure there's more, but I should probably tend to my career . . .

Great writeup, Stat. I'll admit I was being really hard on Trotter Saturday for not getting rid of the ball and trying to tuck it and run too late. I have a different point of view now. Thanks for the insight!

Very nice, thanks. I wonder how improved downfield WR blocking this year would help some of Barrett's numbers, b/c I see that as not only a major necessity in the passing part of a Gus Malzahn offense but also something sorely lacking this year by our crop of WRs that are not exactly on the tiny side.

How Tall is Trotter listed in the Press Book.. cause when he walks by me in tiger walk he is not all that tall like cam was.... with that being said could he be having trouble seeing over our O line to find the open receiver...

just a Thought in that area??

Game plan: I have a hard time being critical of the game plan that resulted in us running 2X the number of plays as USC and controlling the clock. I love it that we ran the ball 41 times to our best back. Hard to argue that this plan put us in position to win. Defense can play defense when they play only half the game or less....Defense cannot survive when we ask them to do what we have asked them to do in the other games...stats show the best defense we have is keeping the offense on the field longer. As for pass play selection; hard to argue screens are not creating yards. I love to see us throw downfield. Inside slip screens work when they are a surprise; otherwise they are like 2 yard and a cloud of dust runs.

Trotter made one (OK, actually 2) decisive throw in the game....the big 3rd down conversion to Benton in the 4th. He threw a rope; and Benton made the play. I would like to see more of this...he showed excellent arm strength and no hesitation on that play. The TD to Lutzie was played out perfectly. We didn't exactly block that well on the back side and he threw with someone in his chest; and he threw it well. Both of those plays are the plays of an average SEC caliber QB and should be good enough for us to win games. On too many other plays; he does not show this level of decisiveness; and again, his motion is very slow. The real question is given this; what puts him in the best position in our offense? With Arky and LSU looming, we need an approach that mimimizes these challenges and plays to his strength. I don't see Frazier as an answer...probably very talented; but really hard to tell given the limited playbook he has been asked to run. This offense is complicated to say the least; and having someone with no college experience doesn't seem like a good call.

Nice analysis, Stat. I agree, some increased time in the pocket would help BT become a more effective weapon. And I agree wholeheartedly on the screen statement. With the exception of Saturday's freeze screen you highlighted, the screens have been largely ineffective this season. Quick slants or quick outs would be more effective on first downs IMO.

I do enjoy seeing Frazier come in and agree that bringing him along slowly is the preferred method.

To add to the "lack of screen plays" theory. I think our WRs are not getting any seperation and other teams see this on film. Hence they don't think our WRs can get open so they can press which makes quick screens much more difficult.

To add to the "lack of screen plays" theory. I think our WRs are not getting any seperation and other teams see this on film. Hence they don't think our WRs can get open so they can press which makes quick screens much more difficult.

So that says throw downfield to loosen them up...

Game plan: I have a hard time being critical of the game plan that resulted in us running 2X the number of plays as USC and controlling the clock. I love it that we ran the ball 41 times to our best back. Hard to argue that this plan put us in position to win. Defense can play defense when they play only half the game or less....Defense cannot survive when we ask them to do what we have asked them to do in the other games...stats show the best defense we have is keeping the offense on the field longer.........

I agree. I thought the offensive game plan was more about ball control and protecting the defense. SC had been struggling on offense and it seemed that our coaches felt they didn't need 30 points to win the game.

As far as Trotter's play, you made a very good analysis of the situation. During the game I saw his inexperience and our o-line problems. There were plays that I felt he made poor decisions and plays that I felt he had no chance to make a play. My only complaint was that most of those problems were created before the ball was ever snapped. When the team looked to the sideline for a play change, they didn't always shift properly and Trotter was moving guys around. In that situation, if a lineman is confused, it usually ends badly.

I think most of us expected growing pains this season and that's what we are getting. What beating SC gave me was confidence that we will see more growth and improvement as the season goes on.

... The TD to Lutzie was played out perfectly. We didn't exactly block that well on the back side and he threw with someone in his chest; and he threw it well....

That was Ingram who laid a wicked hit on him as he was throwing. His toughness is undeniable.

Something else I did not know before Saturday ... Barrett graduated in August with a 3.3 GPA. One smart dude. And he's still got another year of eligibility left if he decides to come back next year.

Like most anything else, it's not any one thing. It's any number of things at a particular time, such as:

1. Breakdowns in pass protection - e.g., on one sack, the OL got crossed up and Melvin Ingram (I think?) came free for a sack. (

2. Sometimes you have to give credit to the other team (especially in predictable situations). USC has at least three NFL-ready D-linemen (Ingram, Clowney, Taylor). I wouldn't want to have to block them, especially not on 3rd and long.

3. We're too predictable - Not much to add to what's been said already, here. If running up the middle 8-9 times out of 10 on first down gets us a win, so be it, but you're not doing your QB any favors, if it doesn't work consistently. My fear is that, in a matter of a couple weeks, CGM has lost confidence in Trotter, almost completely.

I really think you hit the nail on the head.

It is not just our OL, it is a combination of issues Trotter being one of them. A lot of sacks can be directly attributed to the QB. Our OL is young and needs work, but it can't be denied they have the talent. Looking at run protection the OL has the ability to open holes. Right now, Dyer and McCalebb are averaging 5.5 and 5.1 yards respectively. That is on par with the top teams in the nation.

Trotter has the ability, but no matter what statistics say, the most important quality of a QB can't be measured. Can he be the leader of the team? He has to make the guys around him play better. I'm afraid that because CGM seems to have lost faith in him, the coaches believe he does not have that ability.

If Trotter plays as badly as he did against USC against Arkansas, it would be time to seriously consider pulling him. I hope it was just a fluke and he plays like he did the first three games.

A question for those that know coaching: Does an OC typically study statistics like these game in and game out? I know they look at trends, but do they look at this much detail like what Stat lays out for us on Mondays? If they do, I am sure they have someone else crunching the numbers (they need a really smart guy doing that for them by the way) because I would expect CGM to be too busy coaching postition, studying game film and preparing game plans to actually crunch the numbers himself. Just curious at how much they look at stats. Sometimes it seems like when we run on first down, it is the OC thinking to himself "We always run on first down, there is no way they think I will do it again right now!"

Though the real players in the SEC west are LSU and Bama, can we go ahead and work for the future with Frazier at QB? I know he had the bad int in the 3rd when driving, but Barret continues to overthrow open receivers and crap his pants under pressure. He has no ability to simply throw the ball away when a play is dead and takes 5-6 yard losses. I'm sorry, but he makes NO progressions and stares down receivers. His good QB ratings came against terrible defenses and with wide open receivers. Let's be real, we will not contend for the West this year. If we play Frazier, we can contend next year.

Archived