Arky postgame thread

TitanTiger

Gene Chizik: "We did all the classic things we can not do to win a game on the road."

Chizik: "We were very poor in terms of catching the ball."

Chizik: "Too many explosive plays on their part, offensively."

Chizik: "Barrett Trotter, he struggled tonight. But it wasn't all Barrett, let me make that clear." Cited 4, 5 drops, including Benton's.

Chizik: "This is a total team loss."

Chizik: "There were a lot of circumstances there that were not exactly quarterback-related." Was asked if he thought of going to Moseley.

@AUBlog

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, our offensive line is not getting ANY push. They are getting pushed around like children playing with men.

Our offense ran for almost 300 yds. I don't think lack of push is the problem.

But most of Dyer]s up the middle runs went nowhere.

True. But when a defense realizes you can't pitch it in the ocean, they're going to load the box. And you can't run wide all night. Especially if you're going to get flagged for holding whenever you do.

we lost all momentum when they called the non existent holding on lutz on masons first down run to their 25 and then they didn't call the obvious holding on them on their long td run.

Also, our offensive line is not getting ANY push. They are getting pushed around like children playing with men.

True. But when a defense realizes you can't pitch it in the ocean, they're going to load the box. And you can't run wide all night. Especially if you're going to get flagged for holding whenever you do.

we lost all momentum when they called the non existent holding on lutz on masons first down run to their 25 and then they didn't call the obvious holding on them on their long td run.

Totally agree.

We have on going issues that could be fixed, but our coaching staff is failing. Where is the leadership? Most high school teams have more discipline than 11 penalties for 105 yards. For weeks fans have been screaming that Trotter is not the answer (except the moderators at AU family). He hasn't been getting help from his receivers, but where is his leadership? That is my biggest gripe with him. Why isn't he getting in the face of those receivers and inspiring them to step up? He is not being the leader the team needs him to be.

CGM's play calling has been horrific. We almost lost to Utah State because of his play calling, I think we lost to Clemson because of his play call on 3rd and 2, and we almost lost to USC because of his play calling. I think he is afraid to open up the playbook because he has no confidence in our QBs.

I think it's time to at least try Mosely/Frazier. What do we have to lose at this point?

On a positive note, outside of the huge run by Adams, we held them to 84 yards on 30 rushes. Wilson's gonna put up pretty good numbers on most defenses, but we held him well under his average. Might be that those INT's giving them good field position helped, but still, I feel like the defense is definitely improving. DL getting in the backfield and actually wrapping up to tackle, with the exception of a few plays.

Tonight was unusual. We don't normally have that many penalties. But the refs weren't exactly calling things evenly either. I keep coming back to the phantom holding call that brought back a huge run by Tre Mason. We end up punting and then they get the 92 yard TD run with a blatantly obvious hold on Neiko Thorpe. Several BS calls. That's not to say we lost because of the refs. We played badly on offense. But whenever we'd get something going, there'd be a flag and some of them were crap calls.

I knew how important Blake is to the passing game, I guess I just didn't realize how huge the dropoff is with him not in the game. I expected to see Stallworth involved a lot more and was surprised we didn't see more throws to him tonight. I have almost blown out my little candle of hope that the light will come on for Benton. Not to be trashing Benton, it's just how excited I remember being when he was a signing day surprise. I felt like we had signed one of those game-changing receivers that we desperately needed on our roster when we snagged him. What is the issue there?

THIS. Besides Benton needing to be riding pine and instead being on the field due to lack of alternatives, this whole game smelled of rancid home cooking from the zebras. Roughing the passer? Holding calls? And...we never did see what that mystery 'Unsportsmanlike' call was on Bates. Probably flagged him for asking why they didn't spot when he was being held on that long td. Ugly game. We weren't outplayed, we handed it to the robbers.

We have on going issues that could be fixed, but our coaching staff is failing. Where is the leadership? Most high school teams have more discipline than 11 penalties for 105 yards. For weeks fans have been screaming that Trotter is not the answer (except the moderators at AU family). He hasn't been getting help from his receivers, but where is his leadership? That is my biggest gripe with him. Why isn't he getting in the face of those receivers and inspiring them to step up? He is not being the leader the team needs him to be.

CGM's play calling has been horrific. We almost lost to Utah State because of his play calling, I think we lost to Clemson because of his play call on 3rd and 2, and we almost lost to USC because of his play calling. I think he is afraid to open up the playbook because he has no confidence in our QBs.

Go back to the cave you crawled out of and stop trolling.

I think you are very wrong. They are doing well with what they have (until the wheels fell off in the situation I described in my previous post).

They are building experience into the young talent for the next few years.

The defense is already getting better when many had left them for dead.

Totally agree.

Agree 100%

We can maybe write this off as a night when everything went south; costly, momentum-killing penalties, poor match-ups. As others have pointed out, as soon as it became apparent that there was no passing threat, the gig was up. This was a game that in my mind we were always probably going to lose. I was much more pesimistic following the Clemson game that after this one. The defense is making progress and we know that the offense is better than they showed tonight. Time to put this one behind us and move on to Florida.

We need to pick a QB and stick with him. We should give Clint a chance in the 1st quarter next week then make a decision and stick with it. Unless Clint just lights it up when given a real chance, I would go with KF - too much upside.

Defense hasn't been great, but 31 points against this team isn't terrible. This one is on the offense.

Auburn ahead by 6 minutes on time of possession. Has 266 rushing yards on 47 attempts. That's what it wanted.

Tough for freshmen to account for dropping guys in coverage. That's twice they've tricked Frazier tonight.

I know Emory Blake is a great player and a big part of this offense, but he wouldn't have cured this. #realtalk

I love Stan White's analysis, but he needs to give it up with the Trovon Reed angle. He wouldn't have made much of a difference tonight.

Arkansas yards: 294 (1st half), 144 (2nd). Defense improved.

Yes. Absolutely. RT @BRYAN4AU: @HABOTN Do you see an open QB competition in the near future?

@HABOTN

Yeah, I just don't get the "coaching problem" canard at all. I saw WRs open tonight. But time and again, we didn't make the connection whether because of a terrible throw or a dropped pass. We hit those passes, drives stay alive and we score more and the running game becomes even more lethal than the 300 yds we put up. Then the coaches are geniuses even though the exact same plays were called.

Players didn't execute. Only thing I'd question coaching wise is why we didn't yank Barrett for Clint sooner. But the wisdom of the coaches in not handing it to Frazier has been borne out.

Mike Dyer walked off the field to catcalls from Ark. fans. Shadowed by General Manager Tim Jackson, he did not appear to respond to the boos

Chizik: Too many penalties, negative plays, dropped balls, turnovers.

Chizik on Frazier: "He had a good learning moment today...Those windows in college (for open WR) close quick."

Chizik on Trotter: Rough day, but not all his fault. At least 4 or 5 drops, including 1 that led to INT. "This was a total team loss."

Chizik on whether Moseley was option: "Let me say: There was a lot of circumstances that weren't necessarily QB related."

Chizik on focusing for Florida: "We're not going to let this game beat us twice."

@auburnbeat

It was fun for a half. Heck, we were in it going into the 4th. I'm not angry with any of it. It's all growing pains towards another BCS title and a Heisman for Dyer next year. We now know why Benton hasn't seen much playing time in his career. That's was one really bad game for him. Fraiser's picks were bad but he's got to learn to look off the safety sometime. I'd like to think that lesson has been learned because he throws a beautiful ball. He reminds me of Jason Campbell with that gorgeous spiral and arch.

The officials made some terrible calls in this game against both teams but naturally I only remember the ones against us. Benton's holding call was weak but the one against Lutz was shameful. He never came close to holding. Bates' unsportsmanlike penalty on the 94 yard run was because he was pointing out a hold while it was happening to a ref who chose to ignore it. Bates and the ref were running side by side and you could see Dates pointing at the hold when he lightly brushed against the ref. Technically you can't touch the ref but I'd like to think it would take more than shirtsleeves faintly caressing each other to warrant a flag for it. The roughing the passer call on Thorpe is the type of call that would get me banned from coaching. That being said officiating did not cost us this game.

Defense hasn't been great, but 31 points against this team isn't terrible. This one is on the offense.

Auburn ahead by 6 minutes on time of possession. Has 266 rushing yards on 47 attempts. That's what it wanted.

Tough for freshmen to account for dropping guys in coverage. That's twice they've tricked Frazier tonight.

I know Emory Blake is a great player and a big part of this offense, but he wouldn't have cured this. #realtalk

I love Stan White's analysis, but he needs to give it up with the Trovon Reed angle. He wouldn't have made much of a difference tonight.

Yes. Absolutely. RT @BRYAN4AU: @HABOTN Do you see an open QB competition in the near future?

@HABOTN

One obvious area they'll work on with Frazier is doing a better job of looking off the defenders. On both of his interceptions, he was totally locked on to his intended receiver from the time he took the snap. That's just something that will come with experience.

It was fun for a half. Heck, we were in it going into the 4th. I'm not angry with any of it. It's all growing pains towards another BCS title and a Heisman for Dyer next year. We now know why Benton hasn't seen much playing time in his career. That's was one really bad game for him. Fraiser's picks were bad but he's got to learn to look off the safety sometime. I'd like to think that lesson has been learned because he throws a beautiful ball. He reminds me of Jason Campbell with that gorgeous spiral and arch.

The officials made some terrible calls in this game against both teams but naturally I only remember the ones against us. Benton's holding call was weak but the one against Lutz was shameful. He never came close to holding. Bates' unsportsmanlike penalty on the 94 yard run was because he was point out a hold while it was happening to a ref who chose to ignore it. Dates and the ref were running side by side and you could see Dates pointing at the hold when he lightly brushed against the ref. Technically you can't touch the ref but I would think it would take more than shirtsleeves faintly caressing each other to warrant a flag for it. The roughing the passer call on Thorpe is the type of call that would get me banned from coaching. That being said officiating did not cost us this game.

Agree, for a loss. Defense looked better, gap control and assignments for the most part. Offense is out of sync. TOP is still up...Chizik's input to Gus? Trying to help the defense with TOP? Sure looks like Gus inst Gus right now.

Only thing I'll say is, the refs did NOT throw bad flags on both teams. Arky only had 4 penalties for 26 yds and one of the biggest that should have been called was missed...a blatant hold on the 92-yd TD run.

@HABOTN

One obvious area they'll work on with Frazier is doing a better job of looking off the defenders. On both of his interceptions, he was totally locked on to his intended receiver from the time he took the snap. That's just something that will come with experience.

I agree. One thing that Cam did was he made everyone around him elevate their game. I felt that same thing when Frazier came in: everyone had an extra bounce in their step and elevated their game.

I think you are very wrong. They are doing well with what they have (until the wheels fell off in the situation I described in my previous post).

They are building experience into the young talent for the next few years.

The defense is already getting better when many had left them for dead.

Eh.. I worded that wrong. I don't think they are failing overall. I think they are failing to establish a leader; however, CGM's playcalling has been horrific.

Archived