Georgia Postgame Numbers & Thoughts

StatTiger

Coach Pat Dye was right on the money when he stated Georgia was the third most physical team in the SEC. The way they played tonight, they could give LSU or Alabama a run for their money and they will get their shot in the SECCG. This game was identical to the LSU game as Auburn was simply dominated up front on both sides of the football. Auburn was beat in every phase of the game, including coaching. It’s difficult to make adjustments if the opponent is dominating the line of scrimmage, which was clearly the case against Georgia.

Inside the Numbers:

• Auburn allowed 11 impact plays to the Georgia defense, with 9 coming in the first half. There is not telling how bad it could have been had Georgia elected to pass more often during the second half.
  • Michael Dyer passed the 1000-yard mark and could become the first Auburn player to reach the 1000-yard mark 3 times during his career.
  • From 1992-2008, Auburn’s defense held their opponent to below 25 percent in scoring possession in 107 of 205 games (52.2 percent). Under Ted Roof, Auburn has reached that goal in only 7 of 37 games (18.9 percent).
  • Under Ted Roof, the Auburn defense has allowed over 24 points in 56.8 percent of their games. From 1992-2008, it happened 25.7 percent of the time.
  • From 1992-2008, Auburn’s defense allowed the opponent to gain 400-yards or more in 19.4 percent of their games. Under Ted Roof, it’s 37.8 percent.
  • From 1992-2008, Auburn’s defense allowed 318.0 yards and 18.5 PPG. Under Ted Roof, the defense has allowed 382.9 yards and 26.5 PPG.
  • From 1992-2008, Auburn allowed 121.9 yards rushing per game. Under Ted Roof, Auburn has allowed 149.9 yards per game. From 1992-2008, the opponent rushed for at least 200-yards, 8.7 percent of the time. Under Ted Roof, the opponent has rushed for over 200-yards, 27.0 percent of the time.
  • From 1992-2008, the Auburn defense allowed a pass rating of 112.4. Under Ted Roof, the defense has allowed a rating of 128.2.
  • Gus Malzahn’s offense at Auburn without Cameron Newton has averaged 352.4 yards and 23.1 PPG against SEC teams. This includes an average of 155.9 yards per game in passing, 18 TD passes and 15 interceptions.
  • Emory Blake recorded his second 100-yard game this season. Auburn had (11) 100-yard receivers from 2009-2010 and only 2 this season.
  • In the 8 games against ranked opponents, Gus Malzahn’s offense has averaged 312.9 yards and 19.0 PPG against ranked opponents without Cameron Newton at quarterback. This includes 144.4 passing yards per game, 9 TD passes and 12 interceptions.
  • 20 of Auburn’s 23 pass attempts went to Emory Blake, Onterio McCalebb and Philip Lutzenkirchen. Blake was targeted 11 times.
  • 55 percent of Auburn’s first down plays against UGA went for 3-yards or less. Georgia was held to 3-yards or less on 37 percent of their first down plays.
  • 50 percent of UGA’s offensive snaps went for 5-yards or more. 37 percent of AU’s offensive snaps went for 5-yards or more.
  • Georgia had 8 different players that recorded a tackle for loss. Auburn had 3.
  • From 1951-2008, Auburn has been defeated by 30 or more points, 15 times in 657 games or 1 every 43.8 games. Auburn has been defeated by 30 or more points, twice this season.
  • The 38-point loss to Georgia is the worse loss to the Bulldogs since 1951.

The losses to Arkansas, LSU and Georgia are a strong reminder of where this team is in terms of competing with the better teams in the conference. It’s obvious Auburn must improve on both sides of the line before they will be competitive again with the upper teams in the conference. Auburn will certainly win next Saturday but the Alabama game will be another test against the SEC elite, where Auburn has failed to be competitive this season. Realistically speaking, Auburn will likely finish the season 7-5 with the hopes of winning their bowl game. An 8-5 season would be a reasonable finish for what Auburn had to work with this season, though they likely failed at being as competitive as they could have been, even in defeat.

This has been a difficult season for all who love Auburn, especially following up a perfect season. It’s important to remember, no one hurts more than the players and coaches, when the team loses. As fans, we need to support the players at all cost, knowing there will be better days down the road. THERE WILL BE BETTER DAYS. As fans, we often become impatient wanting to pull the trigger on coaching changes. I would encourage all to allow the season to play out to see how Gene Chizik will evaluate the future of his coaching staff, when the season is concluded. No changes will be made until that time, so it would be fruitless to trash the coaching staff with 3 games remaining on the season.

For now, the coaches and players must continue to work to make the program stronger for the future. This will come with recruiting and the development of the personnel. As much as we want to see the quarterbacks, running backs and receivers to play well, they will never reach their full potential until the offensive line does. The same can be said about the defense and the performance of the front-four. If you look back to the losses against Arkansas, LSU and Georgia, the difference up front was the most glaring difference.

War Eagle!

UGA Offensive line is very good but I still think they lose by 2 TDs to LSU or Bama! Those defenses are just too physical for them, Crowell obviously has fumble issues, they don't have a play maker WR and if you get Murray in pressure situations he's sure to make some errors. We let UGA ran all over us and we did not even sniff Murray.

Either defense will be way too much for UGA which will result like their first two games.

So this one stings...BIG TIME! For some of you who grew up and/or live in Alabama, the Iron Bowl is only game that truly matters. And trust me, it is THE game for our program. But for Georgia natives and residents who are Auburn Alum & fans, the dominance UGA has had over AU since mid-2000's is absolutely sickening. I grew up in a UGA household. My dad bleeds red & black, along with a multitude of family members (who never actually attended the school, of course). To be owned 5 out of last 6 years by the Dawgs is almost too much to handle. Why can Richt be owned by the Gators, yet have our number? Is it our curse? Just drives me insane that Auburn somehow brings the best out of Georgia, while we usually show little fight in the contests. Pains me so much, guys.

Overall, probably hardest thing to swallow this season is how non-competitive we've been in our losses. I do believe youth and inexperience (even 10 games into season) is a big factor, but I also believe we have a lot of talent that is either not playing up to potential or is not being coached properly. And the above stats regarding Ted Roof's defenses since he came to the Plains are incredibly glaring. How many of you wondered about Roof even last year, but just let it go because Cam & Co. kept winning? And even though last year's defense would get gashed, they showed heart and stood resilient when the game was on the line. I hate, hate, hate to be one of those fans who call for a coaches head, but there is no denying that the Roof experiment has not gone as planned. It's been 3 years, same defensive product on the field. That's coaching in my mind. Sorry if some of you disagree...

So this one stings...BIG TIME! For some of you who grew up and/or live in Alabama, the Iron Bowl is only game that truly matters. And trust me, it is THE game for our program. But for Georgia natives and residents who are Auburn Alum & fans, the dominance UGA has had over AU since mid-2000's is absolutely sickening. I grew up in a UGA household. My dad bleeds red & black, along with a multitude of family members (who never actually attended the school, of course). To be owned 5 out of last 6 years by the Dawgs is almost too much to handle. Why can Richt be owned by the Gators, yet have our number? Is it our curse? Just drives me insane that Auburn somehow brings the best out of Georgia, while we usually show little fight in the contests. Pains me so much, guys.

Overall, probably hardest thing to swallow this season is how non-competitive we've been in our losses. I do believe youth and inexperience (even 10 games into season) is a big factor, but I also believe we have a lot of talent that is either not playing up to potential or is not being coached properly. And the above stats regarding Ted Roof's defenses since he came to the Plains are incredibly glaring. How many of you wondered about Roof even last year, but just let it go because Cam & Co. kept winning? And even though last year's defense would get gashed, they showed heart and stood resilient when the game was on the line. I hate, hate, hate to be one of those fans who call for a coaches head, but there is no denying that the Roof experiment has not gone as planned. It's been 3 years, same defensive product on the field. That's coaching in my mind. Sorry if some of you disagree...

I don't think you will get many disagreements when it comes to Roof! LOL.I think it's now more so the offense and CGM issues that are really starting to tick some ppl off…just from looking at the postings....then combine that with the Defense

I agree with the Roof comments. I think the CGM and the offense isn't where he thought it should be nor the team and the fans. This is indeed unfamiliar territory. The line at times looks genius and at others, just lets the guys through and looks at the defenders when they have Moseley on his back and wonder why it happened. Some of the line are Fresh and Soph, but the most are Moseley and Green and they aren't playing worth a damn. Oh well, next year will be here before we know it. I am all in all family but I do think CGM is planning his exit to go to Ole Miss. Not saying he will turn that program around because at the HC, its up to your OC to do the Offense unless you plan on coaching it and calling plays. If he does go, who fills in for him with the schemes and what not? Interesting times lie ahead. WE ARE WAR EAGLE!

Stat......how did you happen to pick 1992-2008 as the time period for comparison to Roof's years?

The year the SEC expanded to the current 12 teams.

"How many of you wondered about Roof even last year, but just let it go because Cam & Co. kept winning?"

And how many of us got hammered for pointing out when Ted Roof was HIRED that for all his recruiting ability, his coaching qualifications COMING IN stick out like a sore thumb on this otherwise talented staff. His claim to fame was Golden Gopher DC and (a terrible) HC @ Duke (even for them)? :rolleyes:

Points I think that are hammered home w/ these stats:

1. A new DC is needed and Chiz needs to let them run their D OR Chiz needs to take over the DC duties

2. CGM's O NEEDS a mobile, good running QB to be the most effective.

3. AU has a very inexperienced and young team that is very talented, but there are so many on the field at one time that a mistake is gonna happen somewhere on the field on almost every play.

Our OL is quite average. We just had a good game.

If we play LSU or Bama, they beat us by 2-3 TD's.

Aaron Murray against UF was laughably awful and against a great D like LSU/Bama, he will get eaten alive

1. A new DC is needed and Chiz needs to let them run their D OR Chiz needs to take over the DC duties

3. AU has a very inexperienced and young team that is very talented, but there are so many on the field at one time that a mistake is gonna happen somewhere on the field on almost every play.

No, it doesn't. Cam's the only one he's had. And even Cam wouldn't succeed in this year's offense.

What CGM DOES need is an offensive line that can open holes and WRs who can hold blocks on the perimeter.

No, it doesn't. Cam's the only one he's had. And even Cam wouldn't succeed in this year's offense.

What CGM DOES need is an offensive line that can open holes and WRs who can hold blocks on the perimeter.

I agree as that is needed for any offense to be effective, but like I said "to be the most effective" it needs a mobile QB. The mobile QB gives the additional run threat that makes the running attack just more difficult to defend against.

I agree as that is needed for any offense to be effective, but like I said "to be the most effective" it needs a mobile QB. The mobile QB gives the additional run threat that makes the running attack just more difficult to defend against.

Point taken :thumbsup:

Archived