***Chick-fil-A Bowl: AUBURN vs. Virginia POST Game Thread***

Tigermike

Glad we won...was fun to watch...2011 is over......

Looking forward, we beat an unranked ACC team....we play in the SEC and have to be able to compete against AL, LSU, GA, SC, Arky (the 5 ranked ahead of us in the BCS and 4 in the top 10) and the only good ACC team (Clemson). To do that, we need better than average players. We have that potential on offense; with a major question mark still at QB. On Defense, the DL is good; and with some help; potentially great. they work well against the run; and occasionally rush the passer. The LB and DB corp just doesn't look that talented. Again, we never cover a receiver; ever; and still don't tackle well in the open field. That is my concern for next year...with more recruiting years we can solve anything; but not sure many freshmen will help us in 2012. Given that; it looks like next year will be just like the last 3 as far as the defense goes. I would like someone to tell me I'm wrong based on something other than I hurt your feelings for not doing a herky because we won.

You haven't hurt my feelings. If douche bags hurt my feelings I would have left this site many years ago. I don't follow recruiting closely enough to answer your question as thoroughly as you like. I do know we were the youngest or 2nd youngest team in the country this year and played the toughest schedule in the country. We have blue chippers all around on defense and will add more this year. The d will be much more experienced next year and will play better, no Ida, ands, or buts.

Chizik brought us a BCSC last year and it hid some of roofs inadequacies. Player comments after Chizik took over the d for the bowl game further showed roofs inadequacies. Chizik will make a good hire at Dc. I firmly believe that. We will be more experienced and stronger on d next year, I'll put cash money on that. Go cry someone else a river you sniveling ninny. Jmo.

Wow, I am overwhelmed by the power of your argument......that sniveling ninny comment is really hard hitting and to the point. What's next, nanny-nanny-boo-boo while your thumbs are in your ears and you flap your fingers? I don' t always agree with everyone's POV on this board; but I am used to getting pretty well reasoned rebuttals like a couple of the responses directed at my questions... I rarely see someone be a complete dick like this. Do you have anything meaningful to contribute; or are your feelings just hurt that easily? I see nothing that shows the defense will be any better next year.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad we won...was fun to watch...2011 is over......

Looking forward, we beat an unranked ACC team....we play in the SEC and have to be able to compete against AL, LSU, GA, SC, Arky (the 5 ranked ahead of us in the BCS and 4 in the top 10) and the only good ACC team (Clemson). To do that, we need better than average players. We have that potential on offense; with a major question mark still at QB. On Defense, the DL is good; and with some help; potentially great. they work well against the run; and occasionally rush the passer. The LB and DB corp just doesn't look that talented. Again, we never cover a receiver; ever; and still don't tackle well in the open field. That is my concern for next year...with more recruiting years we can solve anything; but not sure many freshmen will help us in 2012. Given that; it looks like next year will be just like the last 3 as far as the defense goes. I would like someone to tell me I'm wrong based on something other than I hurt your feelings for not doing a herky because we won.

You haven't hurt my feelings. If douche bags hurt my feelings I would have left this site many years ago. I don't follow recruiting closely enough to answer your question as thoroughly as you like. I do know we were the youngest or 2nd youngest team in the country this year and played the toughest schedule in the country. We have blue chippers all around on defense and will add more this year. The d will be much more experienced next year and will play better, no Ida, ands, or buts.

Chizik brought us a BCSC last year and it hid some of roofs inadequacies. Player comments after Chizik took over the d for the bowl game further showed roofs inadequacies. Chizik will make a good hire at Dc. I firmly believe that. We will be more experienced and stronger on d next year, I'll put cash money on that. Go cry someone else a river you sniveling ninny. Jmo.

Wow, I am overwhelmed by the power of your argument......that sniveling ninny comment is really hard hitting and to the point. What's next, nanny-nanny-boo-boo while your thumbs are in your ears and you flap your fingers? I don' t always agree with everyone's POV on this board; but I am used to getting pretty well reasoned rebuttals like a couple of the responses directed at my questions... I rarely see someone be a complete dick like this. Do you have anything meaningful to contribute; or are your feelings just hurt that easily? I see nothing that shows the defense will be any better next year.

Yes, my response last night was over the top. No hurt feelings, just a mixture of new years celebration and an inability to comprehend your doomsday approach to next years d. I'm sorry if I rained on your Debbie Downer parade.

He just shows he doesn't pay much attention to auburn football with his comments. We list players to injuries and our Dbs although inconsistent have covered recievers. We're bringing in talent every yeast we just need a dc that can coach them up past highschool level. Chizik in a few weeks already made them look better just think what a full off season will do.

Now that we've seen orange jerseys and helmets in an auburn game, I hope we can get that out of our collective systems. :big:

The jumbotrons and on tv made the uva jerseys look soooo much better than they did in person. Their orange jerseys looked faded but their helmets looked good. Folks just seeing the game on tv just didn't see the true colors of uva.

Now that we've seen orange jerseys and helmets in an auburn game, I hope we can get that out of our collective systems. :big:

The jumbotrons and on tv made the uva jerseys look soooo much better than they did in person. Their orange jerseys looked faded but their helmets looked good. Folks just seeing the game on tv just didn't see the true colors of uva.

I've also noticed that sometimes orange on TV cameras will be rendered as a shade of red. Auburn's band wears an orange jacket that looks red on TV. Even looks red on the JHS jumbotron. The UVa helmets might have looked better with some blue stripes too.

I completely agree. Some of the player's (and coaches) comments regarding the defense transition before and after the bowl game were very telling. All the Roof apologist (Tampa 2 critics..) no longer have a leg to stand on.

He just shows he doesn't pay much attention to auburn football with his comments. We list players to injuries and our Dbs although inconsistent have covered recievers. We're bringing in talent every yeast we just need a dc that can coach them up past highschool level. Chizik in a few weeks already made them look better just think what a full off season will do.

I'm not doubting our DB credentials. I'm doubting their execution. Look at our pass defense stats...this is the worst past defending team in Auburn history; followed by the other 2 seasons of the worse pass defending teams in Auburn history. Those are not really debatable; those are the stats. We had a failing grade in all but 2 games this year I believe on pass defense stats from STAT's analysis (FL and SC I think we passed). From these data alone; you can make the statement that we really haven't covered anyone.

Now, let's be subjective. Our D'backs are never aware of where the ball is on a play....watch the films. My 12 and 14 year olds can see this. Our DB's are always trying to run down a receiver from behind and don't know where the ball is. if the QB under-throws, we occasionally get lucky and the ball hits the DB in the back and falls incomplete; or the receiver just misses it (which happened to UVA 3 times on Saturday). That happens occasionally. Another thing that happens is the DB is trying to play the eyes of the receiver and waives his hands up and gets called for PI in that situation (facemasking in my day; remember that happening to Auburn on Saturday?). When a DB doesn't know where the ball is; the receiver can make any kind of adjustment and catch the ball.....this is what happens consistently to this group of DB's; and I'll extend that to the LB's. I hear only one reason being given; they play the man instead of the ball and are miraculous eye readers that make it possible to deflect passes at the last minute....OK, that obviously doesn't work given the stats of the last 3 years. Also, I have never seen anyone other than Deon Sanders make that particular technique work. If you have world class speed you can run a ball or receiver down and recover like he used to (remember the INT he made against us in the bowl game that beat us; he was so far out of position it seemed impossible he could make up that ground...but he did it...FSU won). We don't have any Deon Sanders' back there and he's a once in a generation talent.

The other reason could be that we are just not that good; and they are just trying to chase down the receiver to make up for being so out of position to begin with. Seems more likely given the remarkable conistency of our stats of the last 3 years. Bad, but remarkably consistent. Either we teach bad technique, we have bad schemes or we just can't execute. CGC has had world beating defenses where ever he has been. Hard to believe he teaches that technique or that we can't scheme to win given his history. That leaves talent.

So, what is the talent that will close the gap? They don't appear to be on the field currently. Davis is about the only returning player that seems to be able to defend the pass and play the run. he also seems to have a nose for the ball. Mincy is turning into a better tackler; but the key is he is tackling someone after the catch. Also, three games in a row our safety bit on the same TE fake and let the wideout run by him for a long TD (GA, AL and VA all ran the same play). Is that a scheme problem or a problem between the ears of the safety?

Please drop the dismissive statements like he doesn't pay attention to Auburn football and take a reasoned view of this (that's just being lazy)...the Stats don't lie...we have set records 3 years in a row for pass defense ineptness. What will change that? It's one thing to say these guys have illustrated the ability and need experience... not sure I buy it; but at least that is reasoned...Carlos Rogers was a horrible pass defender as a freshman and turned into a world beater by his Junior year (was breaking in front of receivers to make picks and brake up passes) and several NFL seasons later is still delivering the goods. He was also a devastating hitter even as freshman which showed he had a desire and nose for the ball. I don't want to hammer any particular current player...so let's just say one of our Senior's who started every game that last 2 years really never got better. It took until his senior year to even be a consistent tackler and he never broke up a pass in 4 years....and as my boys like to say, he holds the record for "tackles after touchdown" at Auburn...not something to be known for. It seems we have more DB's modeling themselves after him than Davis.

So let's take off those rose colored glasses...what will change the defense next year?

I'm not doubting our DB credentials. I'm doubting their execution. Look at our pass defense stats...this is the worst past defending team in Auburn history; followed by the other 2 seasons of the worse pass defending teams in Auburn history. Those are not really debatable; those are the stats. We had a failing grade in all but 2 games this year I believe on pass defense stats from STAT's analysis (FL and SC I think we passed). From these data alone; you can make the statement that we really haven't covered anyone.

Now, let's be subjective. Our D'backs are never aware of where the ball is on a play....watch the films. My 12 and 14 year olds can see this. Our DB's are always trying to run down a receiver from behind and don't know where the ball is. if the QB under-throws, we occasionally get lucky and the ball hits the DB in the back and falls incomplete; or the receiver just misses it (which happened to UVA 3 times on Saturday). That happens occasionally. Another thing that happens is the DB is trying to play the eyes of the receiver and waives his hands up and gets called for PI in that situation (facemasking in my day; remember that happening to Auburn on Saturday?). When a DB doesn't know where the ball is; the receiver can make any kind of adjustment and catch the ball.....this is what happens consistently to this group of DB's; and I'll extend that to the LB's. I hear only one reason being given; they play the man instead of the ball and are miraculous eye readers that make it possible to deflect passes at the last minute....OK, that obviously doesn't work given the stats of the last 3 years. Also, I have never seen anyone other than Deon Sanders make that particular technique work. If you have world class speed you can run a ball or receiver down and recover like he used to (remember the INT he made against us in the bowl game that beat us; he was so far out of position it seemed impossible he could make up that ground...but he did it...FSU won). We don't have any Deon Sanders' back there and he's a once in a generation talent.

The other reason could be that we are just not that good; and they are just trying to chase down the receiver to make up for being so out of position to begin with. Seems more likely given the remarkable conistency of our stats of the last 3 years. Bad, but remarkably consistent. Either we teach bad technique, we have bad schemes or we just can't execute. CGC has had world beating defenses where ever he has been. Hard to believe he teaches that technique or that we can't scheme to win given his history. That leaves talent.

So, what is the talent that will close the gap? They don't appear to be on the field currently. Davis is about the only returning player that seems to be able to defend the pass and play the run. he also seems to have a nose for the ball. Mincy is turning into a better tackler; but the key is he is tackling someone after the catch. Also, three games in a row our safety bit on the same TE fake and let the wideout run by him for a long TD (GA, AL and VA all ran the same play). Is that a scheme problem or a problem between the ears of the safety?

Please drop the dismissive statements like he doesn't pay attention to Auburn football and take a reasoned view of this (that's just being lazy)...the Stats don't lie...we have set records 3 years in a row for pass defense ineptness. What will change that? It's one thing to say these guys have illustrated the ability and need experience... not sure I buy it; but at least that is reasoned...Carlos Rogers was a horrible pass defender as a freshman and turned into a world beater by his Junior year (was breaking in front of receivers to make picks and brake up passes) and several NFL seasons later is still delivering the goods. He was also a devastating hitter even as freshman which showed he had a desire and nose for the ball. I don't want to hammer any particular current player...so let's just say one of our Senior's who started every game that last 2 years really never got better. It took until his senior year to even be a consistent tackler and he never broke up a pass in 4 years....and as my boys like to say, he holds the record for "tackles after touchdown" at Auburn...not something to be known for. It seems we have more DB's modeling themselves after him than Davis.

So let's take off those rose colored glasses...what will change the defense next year?

Actually this is called FACE GUARDING and its not a penalty in college football. It's still a penalty in high school. In college there has to be contact for there to be Pass Interference.

Do yourself a favour and watch the game again whitehead and Davis were awesome. On the fumble Davis caused he was tight on him and it was a perfect pass. Thorpe played well too. With the freshmen on the field they have gotten better as 5 session went on. Stop being pessimistic were not wearing rose colored glasses. Are they world beaters no but some of those passes are in between zones etc. In a couple weeks Chizik made them look a lot better so calm down

Love it for the coaches and players, who worked so hard this year - like they do every year, whether they win 14 games or none. There are still deficiencies, yes, but it's nice to see some smiles to end the season. Great to see so many guys contribute, even Garrett ("Dawson's Creek," or "Johnny Moxon," take your pick) Harper. Seriously, where did that guy come from?

I'm not aware of any coach working hard this year. that was the main sorce of the problem. For what they produced it appeared not a one of them hit a lick at a snake after signing day.

The coordinators are leaving, but what a lot of folks seem to overlok is tht a whole lot of the rest of the staff will be leaving too, and good riddance.

This was the highest paid coaching staff in the country and they essentially tookt he year off. con't believe me? take another look at the opening game against Utah State. That team lookd like they hadn't practiced a day.

Do yourself a favour and watch the game again whitehead and Davis were awesome. On the fumble Davis caused he was tight on him and it was a perfect pass. Thorpe played well too. With the freshmen on the field they have gotten better as 5 session went on. Stop being pessimistic were not wearing rose colored glasses. Are they world beaters no but some of those passes are in between zones etc. In a couple weeks Chizik made them look a lot better so calm down

Yes, it would have been unrealiztic to expect Chizik to turn Roof's D into world beaters in 3 weeks. but he did a good job of making them respectable. that give me hope that a good DC, in a year (maybe 2) can turn these kids into a truly formidable defense.

The talent is there. And from what we saw Sat night the desire is there as well. What has been lacking was good coaching. Hopefully that will be fixed soon enough.

We're bringing in talent every yeast we just need a dc that can coach them up past highschool level. Chizik in a few weeks already made them look better just think what a full off season will do.

Are some of you really that delusional? We had a month to prepare against a team with a completely average offense; had a decent defensive showing, and that equates to Chizik making some world-renowned improvements? I'd certainly hope that with a month to prepare after a bad season that we'd be able to look better...and we did; but we still conceded almost 450 yards and allowed them to convert 8 of 13 third downs (ie: same s*** you saw all year).

Ted Roof really cant catch a break. I feel ridiculous even having to stick up for the guy for the sheer fact that I never once held him in any sort of high regard; yet the depths people will go to vilify him is mind-boggling.

]

Are some of you really that delusional? We had a month to prepare against a team with a completely average offense; had a decent defensive showing, and that equates to Chizik making some world-renowned improvements? I'd certainly hope that with a month to prepare after a bad season that we'd be able to look better...and we did; but we still conceded almost 450 yards and allowed them to convert 8 of 13 third downs (ie: same s*** you saw all year).

Ted Roof really cant catch a break. I feel ridiculous even having to stick up for the guy for the sheer fact that I never once held him in any sort of high regard; yet the depths people will go to vilify him is mind-boggling.

Absolutely agree with all of the above.

Roof was brought in to coach a defense that ran totally contrary to his style. And people are surprised that his numbers were less than stellar?

Love it for the coaches and players, who worked so hard this year - like they do every year, whether they win 14 games or none. There are still deficiencies, yes, but it's nice to see some smiles to end the season. Great to see so many guys contribute, even Garrett ("Dawson's Creek," or

"Johnny Moxon," take your pick) Harper. Seriously, where did that guy come from?

I'm not aware of any coach working hard this year. that was the main sorce of the problem. For what they produced it appeared not a one of them hit a lick at a snake after signing day.

The coordinators are leaving, but what a lot of folks seem to overlok is tht a whole lot of the rest of the staff will be leaving too, and good riddance.

This was the highest paid coaching staff in the country

and they essentially tookt he year off. con't believe me? take another look at the opening game against Utah State. That team lookd like they hadn't practiced a day.

Ridiculous point of view. A youthful team makes mistakes and the coaches took the year off? That is an insane perspective.

With all the analyzing going on here seasoned with an abundance of negativity, what impact do you think a thread like this might have on prospective blue chip recruits who have not made a final decision?

]

Roof was brought in to coach a defense that ran totally contrary to his style. And people are surprised that his numbers were less than stellar?

Right, because Ted Roof fielded top ten defenses @ Minn and Duke. Roof could hold Chizik's DC jock, just look at the NCAA stats. ;)

The defense gave up a lot of yards but looked much better better than any previous effort this season. Did you catch any of the player's comments? Coaches comments? Hardly endorsements of Ted Roof.

Love it for the coaches and players, who worked so hard this year - like they do every year, whether they win 14 games or none. There are still deficiencies, yes, but it's nice to see some smiles to end the season. Great to see so many guys contribute, even Garrett ("Dawson's Creek," or

"Johnny Moxon," take your pick) Harper. Seriously, where did that guy come from?

This was the highest paid coaching staff in the country

and they essentially tookt he year off. con't believe me? take another look at the opening game against Utah State. That team lookd like they hadn't practiced a day.

Ridiculous point of view. A youthful team makes mistakes and the coaches took the year off? That is an insane perspective.

Yeah, you're right. That's why they looked so well prepared going into the season.

With all the analyzing going on here seasoned with an abundance of negativity, what impact do you think a thread like this might have on prospective blue chip recruits who have not made a final decision?

Since an objective look at the thread shows Auburn people glad to be getting a new DC and confident taht Chizik will hire a good one, the effect will be positive.

If everyone were peeing all over themselves gushing about what a wonderful D Auburn has had - like some people seem to think we all are oblidged to be doing - the recruits would think we were blooming idiots.

Since an objective look at the thread shows Auburn people glad to be getting a new DC and confident taht Chizik will hire a good one, the effect will be positive.

If everyone were peeing all over themselves gushing about what a wonderful D Auburn has had - like some people seem to think we all are oblidged to be doing - the recruits would think we were blooming idiots.

PCChamp is that you?

PCChamp is that you?

Can't you read who signed it? Do you really think there's only one person in the world who prefers to see reality head on?

Reality?

Youthful teams make mistakes, yes? Or does every coaching staff saddled with a young team, an inexperienced o-line, injuries, etc just take the year off?

Love it for the coaches and players, who worked so hard this year - like they do every year, whether they win 14 games or none. There are still deficiencies, yes, but it's nice to see some smiles to end the season. Great to see so many guys contribute, even Garrett ("Dawson's Creek," or "Johnny Moxon," take your pick) Harper. Seriously, where did that guy come from?

This was the highest paid coaching staff in the country and they essentially tookt he year off. con't believe me? take another look at the opening game against Utah State. That team lookd like they hadn't practiced a day.

I have no doubt the staff worked their butts off and probably took less time off than any of us.

PCChamp is that you?

Can't you read who signed it? Do you really think there's only one person in the world who prefers to see reality head on?

On second thought PCChamp was Mr. Optimistic compared to you.

]

Agreed...that game really didn't show me anything to be encouraged about defensively. We gave up 450 yds to a middle of the road ACC team. That equates to exactly what we did all year long. That will not win more than 8 games a year in the West of the SEC unless Cam dresses out again. We need a world class DC coming in....we pay enough to get the best young DC in college football.

Archived