***Chick-fil-A Bowl: AUBURN vs. Virginia POST Game Thread***

Tigermike

More rendom thoughts:

Auburn looks like they could be very strong at WR and RB next year, based on what we sw tonight.

The OL should be improved next year. Again, I sw some guys giving it all they had tonight. Still looked inexperienced and young, but looked like they want to learn and are willing to give it everything in them.

I don't blame any player for going pro if they can. A player only has a few years when he can play. And I've read that the injury %age in the pros is 100%; you don't play and not get injured at some point. If a kid can play pro then an additional year in college is a year lost from a big payday.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gus Malzahn right after the win, "I love the Auburn family, the best three years of my life. We're sad...it's been a true blessing."

More from Malzahn, "One of the best moments of my coaching career tonight."

@JHokanson

I think to follow up 2010 with a 8 win season given the loss of the senior class was what we needed to keep the momentum of the program.

CGC put a defense on the field that could tackle, stuffed the running game and got better through the game. Been looking for that all year.

The Gus Bus will run the average defenses of the Sunbelt Conference off the road. Good luck coach and Godspeed. Keep the wife unit away from the video editors.

Great to see BT extending some plays and going out on top. Baylor and WU would have scored 5 touchdowns during the replay of the two scrambles by BT and KF.

I looking foward to CGC bringing in two new co-ordinators that can take us foward.

Great job by the players and coaches, thanks for making it great to be an Auburn Tiger!

Little doc

Thanks RIR. Thanks for all the pre game stuff too. I didn't see it until after the game but it had some serious gameday presence going on. Reminded me of bowl trips from my past.

Now that we've seen orange jerseys and helmets in an auburn game, I hope we can get that out of our collective systems. :big:

Good win...Trotter was a different QB. Not sure where his mobility came from...might have a lot to do with not playing against Top 10 talent and speed. We can run the ball with all our backs...we have tremendous speed.

We dropped too many balls and Trotter makes easy plays look hard because he throws balls too hard when he needs just a little touch. But compared to any game this year; he actually looked like an average QB.

Defense is another matter. We're just not very good. I have never seen a group of DB's unaware of where every pass is. They never; I mean never; see a pass coming. Not sure another year will help these guys. Thorpe could play 10 more years and not cover a pass. Seems like we will still be very inexperienced on Defense again next year. Would love to hear how others think the D will be improved next year; I don't see it.

Wow

How do you really feel?

Just callin it like I see it...We had a good season considering the lack of depth and experience...I had thought we would win 9 games...didn't expect to lose to both Clemson and GA...had expected average QB play and we didn't get it...but losing to 5 top 10 teams is no disgrace and the reason we were still rated #25 in the BCS...I see light on the offense..great speed... great backs...core of receivers...line is getting better....but I don't see it on defense....Not sure there are many freshmen that will come in and dramatically elevate the defensive play... LB and DB's seem to be weak again for next year...would like an informed opinion on the Defense to show me the error of my ways...I hope I am way off here...

Trotter looked like a much better than average QB early in the year. We lose to Utah St. and MSU w/out him. It went downhill for him after that, obviously, but he carried the offense to those first two wins.

Leave it to some people to cry even after a nearly 20 point win in a bowl game.

Who is crying in this thread? Giving your opinion about the game, the pros and cons, is just that. No need to flame somebody for it.

How sure are we that Trotter is not coming back? He might have played the game of his career tonight and you have to think that might give him some pause about not coming back. Trotter kept several plays alive tonight, so our OL still needs to improve alot on pass protection or it will not matter who is taking the snaps next year.

Good win...Trotter was a different QB. Not sure where his mobility came from...might have a lot to do with not playing against Top 10 talent and speed. We can run the ball with all our backs...we have tremendous speed.

We dropped too many balls and Trotter makes easy plays look hard because he throws balls too hard when he needs just a little touch. But compared to any game this year; he actually looked like an average QB.

Defense is another matter. We're just not very good. I have never seen a group of DB's unaware of where every pass is. They never; I mean never; see a pass coming. Not sure another year will help these guys. Thorpe could play 10 more years and not cover a pass. Seems like we will still be very inexperienced on Defense again next year. Would love to hear how others think the D will be improved next year; I don't see it.

Wow

How do you really feel?

Just callin it like I see it...We had a good season considering the lack of depth and experience...I had thought we would win 9 games...didn't expect to lose to both Clemson and GA...had expected average QB play and we didn't get it...but losing to 5 top 10 teams is no disgrace and the reason we were still rated #25 in the BCS...I see light on the offense..great speed... great backs...core of receivers...line is getting better....but I don't see it on defense....Not sure there are many freshmen that will come in and dramatically elevate the defensive play... LB and DB's seem to be weak again for next year...would like an informed opinion on the Defense to show me the error of my ways...I hope I am way off here...

You are. We may not be world beaters next year but we will be much better. The most encouraging thing to me was the DL play. UVA's ol played the entire season as a unit and handled us early. We kept pushing and played much better by the end of the game. We played countless freshmen and sophomores this year and will only get better next year. Cheer the f:;)$ up! We just won a bowl game by 20 pts!

Again, I saw some guys giving it all they had tonight.

When is the last time you saw a 325 pound lineman block a punt?

Glad we won...was fun to watch...2011 is over......

Looking forward, we beat an unranked ACC team....we play in the SEC and have to be able to compete against AL, LSU, GA, SC, Arky (the 5 ranked ahead of us in the BCS and 4 in the top 10) and the only good ACC team (Clemson). To do that, we need better than average players. We have that potential on offense; with a major question mark still at QB. On Defense, the DL is good; and with some help; potentially great. they work well against the run; and occasionally rush the passer. The LB and DB corp just doesn't look that talented. Again, we never cover a receiver; ever; and still don't tackle well in the open field. That is my concern for next year...with more recruiting years we can solve anything; but not sure many freshmen will help us in 2012. Given that; it looks like next year will be just like the last 3 as far as the defense goes. I would like someone to tell me I'm wrong based on something other than I hurt your feelings for not doing a herky because we won.

<iframe width="600" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VNC1mAIxbv8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="600" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w8iy-qIistQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="600" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cc_3Dtx4TTs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="600" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4K6-2-hCR6k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="600" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Xsyt003U8qk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

via @BMatt247

Glad we won...was fun to watch...2011 is over......

Looking forward, we beat an unranked ACC team....we play in the SEC and have to be able to compete against AL, LSU, GA, SC, Arky (the 5 ranked ahead of us in the BCS and 4 in the top 10) and the only good ACC team (Clemson). To do that, we need better than average players. We have that potential on offense; with a major question mark still at QB. On Defense, the DL is good; and with some help; potentially great. they work well against the run; and occasionally rush the passer. The LB and DB corp just doesn't look that talented. Again, we never cover a receiver; ever; and still don't tackle well in the open field. That is my concern for next year...with more recruiting years we can solve anything; but not sure many freshmen will help us in 2012. Given that; it looks like next year will be just like the last 3 as far as the defense goes. I would like someone to tell me I'm wrong based on something other than I hurt your feelings for not doing a herky because we won.

You haven't hurt my feelings. If douche bags hurt my feelings I would have left this site many years ago. I don't follow recruiting closely enough to answer your question as thoroughly as you like. I do know we were the youngest or 2nd youngest team in the country this year and played the toughest schedule in the country. We have blue chippers all around on defense and will add more this year. The d will be much more experienced next year and will play better, no Ida, ands, or buts.

Chizik brought us a BCSC last year and it hid some of roofs inadequacies. Player comments after Chizik took over the d for the bowl game further showed roofs inadequacies. Chizik will make a good hire at Dc. I firmly believe that. We will be more experienced and stronger on d next year, I'll put cash money on that. Go cry someone else a river you sniveling ninny. Jmo.

Love it for the coaches and players, who worked so hard this year - like they do every year, whether they win 14 games or none. There are still deficiencies, yes, but it's nice to see some smiles to end the season. Great to see so many guys contribute, even Garrett ("Dawson's Creek," or "Johnny Moxon," take your pick) Harper. Seriously, where did that guy come from?

Archived