***Chick-fil-A Bowl: AUBURN vs. Virginia POST Game Thread***

Tigermike

With all the analyzing going on here seasoned with an abundance of negativity, what impact do you think a thread like this might have on prospective blue chip recruits who have not made a final decision?

Since an objective look at the thread shows Auburn people glad to be getting a new DC and confident taht Chizik will hire a good one, the effect will be positive.

If everyone were peeing all over themselves gushing about what a wonderful D Auburn has had - like some people seem to think we all are oblidged to be doing - the recruits would think we were blooming idiots.

After reading your highly enlightened comments, I think I'll go face to face with a telephone post next.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're bringing in talent every yeast we just need a dc that can coach them up past highschool level. Chizik in a few weeks already made them look better just think what a full off season will do.

Are some of you really that delusional? We had a month to prepare against a team with a completely average offense; had a decent defensive showing, and that equates to Chizik making some world-renowned improvements? I'd certainly hope that with a month to prepare after a bad season that we'd be able to look better...and we did; but we still conceded almost 450 yards and allowed them to convert 8 of 13 third downs (ie: same s*** you saw all year).

Ted Roof really cant catch a break. I feel ridiculous even having to stick up for the guy for the sheer fact that I never once held him in any sort of high regard; yet the depths people will go to vilify him is mind-boggling.

And here folks we have an example of the pot calling the kettle black.

The defense gave up a lot of yards but looked much better better than any previous effort this season.

Really? It looked better than the 13-point, 289 yard, 2-10 third down conversion game against a much more talented South Carolina team (IN South Carolina) with Lattimore & Jeffery?

Let me guess; Chizik took over for that one game :rolleyes:

Did you catch any of the player's comments? Coaches comments? Hardly endorsements of Ted Roof.

Please. Ever heard of a scapegoat? Its easy to throw the blame on the guy who was fired/pushed out. Roof kept his mouth shut the whole time and took beating after beating even when it was obvious to anyone who knows anything about football that what you are seeing on the field schematically is Chizik's preferred defense. Did the defense look dramatically different against Virginia? It didn't; and the same obvious problems were still there. There is no one person to blame (ie: Roof) for our defensive problems...anyone suggesting otherwise is flat out retarded.

Agreed...that game really didn't show me anything to be encouraged about defensively. We gave up 450 yds to a middle of the road ACC team. That equates to exactly what we did all year long. That will not win more than 8 games a year in the West of the SEC unless Cam dresses out again. We need a world class DC coming in....we pay enough to get the best young DC in college football.

Good post. Agree 100%.

The defense is going to have to improve dramatically next season or we're going to have another 7-5 season.

With all the analyzing going on here seasoned with an abundance of negativity, what impact do you think a thread like this might have on prospective blue chip recruits who have not made a final decision?

Since an objective look at the thread shows Auburn people glad to be getting a new DC and confident taht Chizik will hire a good one, the effect will be positive.

If everyone were peeing all over themselves gushing about what a wonderful D Auburn has had - like some people seem to think we all are oblidged to be doing - the recruits would think we were blooming idiots.

After reading your highly enlightened comments, I think I'll go face to face with a telephone post next.

It's a safe bet that it won't contradict any sunshine pumping with real life.

It's a safe bet that it won't contradict any sunshine pumping with real life.

You confuse fact with sunshine pumping.

But folks have been on target concerning your pessimism.

Did LSU, UAT, UGA or ARK play with as many true freshmen & true sophomores as AUBURN did this year?

If you think that many kids coming out of high school will compete on an even footing as 4th and 5th year seniors you are more deluded than I thought.

Did they win as many as I wanted them to? Nope.

Did they win more than the experts predicted? Yep.

Recruiting is going well again this year, the future is bright.

Agreed...that game really didn't show me anything to be encouraged about defensively. We gave up 450 yds to a middle of the road ACC team. That equates to exactly what we did all year long. That will not win more than 8 games a year in the West of the SEC unless Cam dresses out again. We need a world class DC coming in....we pay enough to get the best young DC in college football.

I was encouraged by how the defense regrouped after an ugly start. We gave up only 7 points and 136 yds in the 2nd half. And that 7 pts came on the first UVA drive of the half. After that, they had 47 yds for the remainder of the game. I liked that.

You confuse fact with sunshine pumping.

But folks have been on target concerning your pessimism.

Did LSU, UAT, UGA or ARK play with as many true freshmen & true sophomores as AUBURN did this year?

If you think that many kids coming out of high school will compete on an even footing as 4th and 5th year seniors you are more deluded than I thought.

Did they win as many as I wanted them to? Nope.

Did they win more than the experts predicted? Yep.

Recruiting is going well again this year, the future is bright.

You confuse pessimism, which is foreseeing bad days to come in the FUTURE, with a realistic evaluation of what has happened in the PAST. You won't find anywhere that I've expressed anything but cautious optimism for Auburn's future. Like I've told others, disagree with what I do say however you want. but damn you if you think it's your priviledge to make up something I didn't say and then attack me for that.

Yes, I know all the experts said Auburn would go 0-12 in 2011, give up FAR more than 30 points per game, and never get a 1st down. I've heard all that before. What the 'experts' used to say seemed to get worse every week as the season progressed. It started out with the experts saying Auburn would win 6 or 7 games and then the past got re-written every week until it became 0-12.

Do I expect freshmen to know how to tackle? Yes. Do I expect a coaching staff to stress fundamentals? Yes. Do I expect a top notch coaching staff, which is what we wre paying for, to take into account what they have to work with and make the best use of that? Yes. Do I expect freshmen to be playing like they've had some experience by the 10th and 12th game. Yes. the fact is that everyone expects those things.

Am I going to praise an offensive chaching staff who, in the 12th game of the season can only manage 2 1st downs going into the 4th quarter against their biggest rival? No. Am I going to praise a coaching staff who, in the opening game against Utah St, allows their opponent to move the ball at will all game long and goes 3 and out continually themselves? No. Am I going to praise an offensive staff who seemed to have 3 plays ready and spent most of their time going 3 and out all season long? No. Am I going to praise a defensive staff who, after one good and two great recruiting years gives up nearly 30 points per game and keeps getting worse every year? No.

If you want to praise those things, by all means feel free. but don't demand that I join in the cheering.

I'm glad Roof is gone. I'm glad Malzahn is gone. Nothing has been said but I think it highly likely that a lot of other coaches will be leaving as well whenthe new coordinators are hired and put together their own staffs. Some of the present assistants will stay, but probably not the majority. Am I glad of that? Yes.

I think chizik has gone through a learning experience as HC. And as a HC he's still young, with lots left to learn. Hopefully he's learned a lot about how to put together a strong staff and the new one will give Auburn far better service than the old ones, especially on the defensive side of the ball. The offense may see something less flashy but something that doesn't require a Cam Newton to run it properly at the SEC level.

Right now I wouldn't blame a high school kid for just watching to see who chizik winds up hiring. but if he makes a couple of good hires, and I'll presume he will until shown differently, then I'd expect recruiting to be good again this year, but no top 5 class again.

Going into this season I'd hoped 2012 would be an excellent year, as I've sead many times. I think that probably has to be pushed back at least a year now to 2013, maybe 2014. I also think Chizik understands that perpetual seasons like the one we just had are not acceptable and won't make for a long tenure for him at Auburn or anywhere else. but until shown differently I'll expect him to learn from this and put together a stronger program than he's had so far, and a more permanent one.

That's what I've said MANY times in MANY different threads. It's realistic.

I was encouraged by how the defense regrouped after an ugly start. We gave up only 7 points and 136 yds in the 2nd half. And that 7 pts came on the first UVA drive of the half. After that, they had 47 yds for the remainder of the game. I liked that.

forgive me if I sound like Brodie Croyle, but Auburn won the last 3 qtrs of that game. At first I was getting a sinking feeling and thinking, "Oh no. Here we go again." when the D didn't seem able to slow down VA or the O put together a sustaining drive to opent eh game.

But something changed in the 2nd quarter. Auburn was in command of the game from that point on. I know it was VA, nota top notch SEC team. Still VA isn't a patsy either. And our kidsnow know what it feels like to pull themselves together and take charge of a game that looked like it could have been slipping away from them. that experience has to be valuable going into the off season...certainly a lot more valuable than getting clobbered again would have been.

I'm glad CJ Bas wasn't in charge of the Auburn athletic for the last 50 years. If he had been Shug Jordan would have been fired long before he retired. Pat Dye would have been fired after his 1st year. Tubbs would have been fired after his first year and Chizik would have been fired after his first year.

Answer this question: Are you PCChamp? Have you come back with another screen name?

The defense gave up a lot of yards but looked much better better than any previous effort this season.

Really? It looked better than the 13-point, 289 yard, 2-10 third down conversion game against a much more talented South Carolina team (IN South Carolina) with Lattimore & Jeffery?

Let me guess; Chizik took over for that one game :rolleyes:

Did you catch any of the player's comments? Coaches comments? Hardly endorsements of Ted Roof.

Please. Ever heard of a scapegoat? Its easy to throw the blame on the guy who was fired/pushed out. Roof kept his mouth shut the whole time and took beating after beating even when it was obvious to anyone who knows anything about football that what you are seeing on the field schematically is Chizik's preferred defense. Did the defense look dramatically different against Virginia? It didn't; and the same obvious problems were still there. There is no one person to blame (ie: Roof) for our defensive problems...anyone suggesting otherwise is flat out retarded.

Retarded? You are knocking a defensive scheme that has produced 2 undefeated seasons in the SEC in the last 8 years and you are calling others retarded? That is lol freaking funny. How many undefeated SEC seasons have there been in that 8 year period? 3? 4?

We were young. Like the only thing that had happened so far was the gleam in our parents eyes young. You may follow recruiting closely, but obviously, that does not make you a coaching geniious. I trust Chizik to pick the right scheme for next year, be it the same or something different. Thank goodness he gets paid enough to put up with the idiotic complaints of unrealistic fans.

Agreed. Winning teams take over in the 3rd and 4th quarter. Some of that is physical conditioning, some coaching, some talent, but most of all is a team's positive additude that it can win. As an example, TAMU lacked that this year. they had talent, but lacked the rest.

I'm glad CJ Bas wasn't in charge of the Auburn athletic for the last 50 years. If he had been Shug Jordan would have been fired long before he retired. Pat Dye would have been fired after his 1st year. Tubbs would have been fired after his first year and Chizik would have been fired after his first year.

Answer this question: Are you PCChamp? Have you come back with another screen name?

Well said TM. I think you may be onto something here relating to PCChamp. I haven't thought about that chap in a long time, but the shoe might just fit.

Retarded? You are knocking a defensive scheme that has produced 2 undefeated seasons....

I never knocked the scheme. Learn to read.

I thought it was blatantly obvious what I was saying. Chizik is a defensive coach. What you see on the field is his scheme. Therefore; saying that 100% of the problem is Roof's fault (a guy who never once has ran a Cover 2 variant defense BTW) is ridiculous.

Retarded? You are knocking a defensive scheme that has produced 2 undefeated seasons....

I never knocked the scheme. Learn to read.

I thought it was blatantly obvious what I was saying. Chizik is a defensive coach. What you see on the field is his scheme. Therefore; saying that 100% of the problem is Roof's fault (a guy who never once has ran a Cover 2 variant defense BTW) is ridiculous.

Fair enough, I reread your post and my response was a little off. Sorry about that. I still say the scheme has produced some impressive results. I think Chizik probably made a hiring mistake with Roof and I'm guessing he has learned from it. Our results up until this year made it tough to take action sooner. Seems like Roofs style is not at all suited for this type of defense. It takes a real real go getter who gets all up in people's business if they aren't doing what they should be doing. I'd also say we need a breath of fresh air in the secondary coaching dept.

There was a noticeable difference in the defensive play. After the first drive of the second half we shut them down completely. We struggled early but this was a team with a seasoned o-line that had set a record for fewest sacks allowed. they had some strengths but once we adjusted it was lights out d. Yeah, it was the #3 ACC team, but there are some legitimate positives to be found.

We were young.

We weren't young last year and the defense was average at best; with obvious fundamental problems.

At times we were average, at times we were well above average. We were older but far from talent rich. We had a good enough d to win a NC and go undefeated in the SEC. That totally works for me.

Chizik has a chance now to put our d under some better coaching. I'll bet he makes some good decisions. Plus he'll soon have only his recruits and I think that will make a difference when we bridge the Tuberville gap.

With some big time talent set to announce at the UA and Army games, does anybody else feel we may lose out on a couple blue chips due to having drug our feet on hiring coordinators? I see no concrete indication anywhere that we have serious names in the ring for coordinators.

With some big time talent set to announce at the UA and Army games, does anybody else feel we may lose out on a couple blue chips due to having drug our feet on hiring coordinators? I see no concrete indication anywhere that we have serious names in the ring for coordinators.

We aren't dragging our feet. Would you prefer to quickly hire a person to save a recruit or two or make a sound hiring decision?

Archived