***Chick-fil-A Bowl: AUBURN vs. Virginia POST Game Thread***

Tigermike

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barrett Trotter is right back in the QB mix. Maybe all he needed was a wake-up call.

He has already graduated and said he wouldn't be back next year. Maybe he will change his mind.

A couple of facts...

- The win is AU's 5th consecutive Bowl victory.

- AU finishes the season 8-5 which gives Coach Chizik and Co. 30 victories in 3 seasons. Not bad for a 5-19 coach?

War Eagle! We have some offensive talent; hopefully we'll get the right guy to figure it all out. I guess Malzahn proved, unlike UF, you can move the ball with an avg QB and half-size RB's...

A couple of facts...

- The win is AU's 5th consecutive Bowl victory.

- AU finishes the season 8-5 which gives Coach Chizik and Co. 30 victories in 3 seasons. Not bad for a 5-19 coach?

Also, the Tigers never lost two games in a row. Impressive for a young team who had every opportunity to get down on themselves with a tough schedule.

And, CGC still has never lost a bowl game as a coach.

Good win...Trotter was a different QB. Not sure where his mobility came from...might have a lot to do with not playing against Top 10 talent and speed. We can run the ball with all our backs...we have tremendous speed.

We dropped too many balls and Trotter makes easy plays look hard because he throws balls too hard when he needs just a little touch. But compared to any game this year; he actually looked like an average QB.

Defense is another matter. We're just not very good. I have never seen a group of DB's unaware of where every pass is. They never; I mean never; see a pass coming. Not sure another year will help these guys. Thorpe could play 10 more years and not cover a pass. Seems like we will still be very inexperienced on Defense again next year. Would love to hear how others think the D will be improved next year; I don't see it.

1325392030[/url]' post='790130']

Good win...Trotter was a different QB. Not sure where his mobility came from...might have a lot to do with not playing against Top 10 talent and speed. We can run the ball with all our backs...we have tremendous speed.

We dropped too many balls and Trotter makes easy plays look hard because he throws balls too hard when he needs just a little touch. But compared to any game this year; he actually looked like an average QB.

Defense is another matter. We're just not very good. I have never seen a group of DB's unaware of where every pass is. They never; I mean never; see a pass coming. Not sure another year will help these guys. Thorpe could play 10 more years and not cover a pass. Seems like we will still be very inexperienced on Defense again next year. Would love to hear how others think the D will be improved next year; I don't see it.

Wow

How do you really feel?

CFA Bowl Off. MVP-Onterio McCalebb, Def. MVP-Chris Davis.

Auburn true freshman tonight: 122 yards rushing and 3 TD, a 62 yard KO return, a blocked punt, and a sack.

@JHokanson

Gene Chizik, on Barrett Trotter: "This guy is a man's man. He's never pouted a day."

More Chizik on Trotter: "He never said anything negative. He didn't have to like it. But he never showed it."

Chizik: "If my son Cally grows up to be anything like Barrett Trotter, then I did everything right."

Chizik: "It wasn't just a young football team. We had something in the ballpark of 12 or 13 surgeries. And these guys just kept coming back.

Chizik: "When (Malzahn) first took the job, the first thing he said to me is 'I want to coach the bowl game."

Chizik said Malzahn "will always be a great friend of mine."

Barrett Trotter: "It was really hard to stay motivated. I can't lie and say, 'Oh yeah, I was real excited to go out every day and watch most of practice. But at the same time, you owe it to your teammates."

Trotter's 175 yards tonight were the most passing yards for an AU player since Trotter's 178 vs. FAU on Sept. 24.

@AUBlog

Barrett Trotter: "You always have to come in cold." Said he's got to be able to come in and play well.

Chizik: "We had a lot of young players make plays tonight."

“We have a lot of speed,” Chizik said. “We have some weapons we have to make them loosen up a little bit."

I thought our offensive line did a really good job of knocking people off the ball.”

Chizik said the plan was to onside kick after the first score, but he forgot, so they did it after the second.

Trotter: "We've had trouble the whole year on third downs. I felt like we did a good job of staying out of those situations."

@wareagleextra

Barrett Trotter on coming off the bench in bowl win: "I am so glad to be able to come in and send all of the seniors out with a win."

Paging Barrett Trotter: "As soon as I saw Clint limping off, I went ahead and took my headset off and started warming up."

@AUGoldMine

Leave it to some people to cry even after a nearly 20 point win in a bowl game.

Amen! It was an awesome way to end the season! Lots to look forward to next year. The year after that we will be flat out deadly! The future is shining brightly.

Random thoughts:

I never recall seeing another game where both teams wore dark jersies and the light/dark difference was in the pants.

Real glad for Trotter. Glad for all our kids. I hope this will give them some encouragment going into 2012. I do hope Mosely isn't hurt bad.

I thought I saw VA grabbing at face masks a lot and the refs just seemed to ignore it.

Best wishes to Malzahn at Ark St. I'm sure we all appreciate his work at Auburn.

Not a perfect game by any means but still a good end to a disappointing season.

I don't think Chizik's search for new coordinators will continue long past the bowl season. Hopefully, with some certainty given to Auburn's direction, recruiting will be good.

I'll hope for the best and will always love Auburn. I've never wanted Auburn to win for my sake. I always want Auburn to win (in everything) for Auburn's and our kids' sake. I think that's a huge difference between us and the updykes. uat is the only winning most of them have in their lives. Our own victories in life, we hope to be a credit to Auburn.

I called it at the start of the year! Auburn would beat everybody who they should and pull one or two upsets (USC and UF).

Great season guys can't wait for the kickoff game against Clemson! WDE!

Archived