2015 4* JUCO ATH Jason Smith recommits to AU!

RunInRed

Maybe I missed it discussed somewhere else, but isn't the number 7 retired? I noticed in the picture on the homepage Jason is wearing a new number 7 jersey. I'm guessing we just have all the numbers as extras for recruits to take pics in but not actually receive right?

You got it

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I missed it discussed somewhere else, but isn't the number 7 retired? I noticed in the picture on the homepage Jason is wearing a new number 7 jersey. I'm guessing we just have all the numbers as extras for recruits to take pics in but not actually receive right?

You got it

Thanks.

Please don't bite my head-off for this, but everything I see says he is a QB. I am sure they are going to give him a chance at QB, but I would be blown away if he beats out JJ. At least from what I saw on the highlight videos. So if he is not a QB and the title to this thread is that he is a WR, then does he have any experience at WR? Or is this a Kodi Burns type project?

Please don't bite my head-off for this, but everything I see says he is a QB. I am sure they are going to give him a chance at QB, but I would be blown away if he beats out JJ. At least from what I saw on the highlight videos. So if he is not a QB and the title to this thread is that he is a WR, then does he have any experience at WR? Or is this a Kodi Burns type project?

Coming out of high school he was the MVP of one of the all star games playing WR but I can't remember which one.

Coming out of high school he was the MVP of one of the all star games playing WR but I can't remember which one.

I believe it was the AL vs MS Allstar game. His QB for most of the game was no other that Jeremy Johnson

He could play WR next year and still land at QB before all is said and done. Unless I'm mistaken, he's got three years to play three. That's at least one year after Johnson graduates, and it could be more if Johnson leaves early. I expect to see him at least part time at WR next season.

He could play WR next year and still land at QB before all is said and done. Unless I'm mistaken, he's got three years to play three. That's at least one year after Johnson graduates, and it could be more if Johnson leaves early. I expect to see him at least part time at WR next season.

That's all true but I hate to see guys jumping around looking for a position to play. Would not rule out White and Queen for future QBs... meanwhile...Smith aiming to play QB for one year as a senior...for what purpose? If he has a future in the NFL, it's probably not at QB....would be best for coaches to put him where his talent and skill makes him the most dangerous and then just "coach him up".

Maybe he will watch Nick Marshall work at a different position during the combine and figure out himself that he needs to change positions now.

That's all true but I hate to see guys jumping around looking for a position to play. Would not rule out White and Queen for future QBs... meanwhile...Smith aiming to play QB for one year as a senior...for what purpose? If he has a future in the NFL, it's probably not at QB....would be best for coaches to put him where his talent and skill makes him the most dangerous and then just "coach him up".

Cam only needed 1 year as a D1 starter to become the #1 overall pick in the NFL draft. Also, if Smith plays one year at QB as a senior, then that means that he's the best QB we have on the roster that year. That would be the purpose. Finally: how do we know that Smith's future in the NFL isn't at QB? What specific information are you basing that off of? Does he have a bad, non-correctable throwing motion? Does he have a learning disability? Going the other way, has he stated that he's going to be a dentist when he's done at Auburn?

It looks like Jeremy Johnson has the job for the next 2 years if he stays healthy, and it looks like Sean White will be just as good as Johnson. But Smith has been putting up crazy numbers at a higher level than high school and looks a lot like a certain QB who almost won us a national championship last year (and it's not hard to believe that he might be a better passer). I just don't mind saying at this point, "Hey, an Auburn guy might be good enough to win a job on the football field."

If the kid is in the realm of Nick Marshall, he's got a legit chance of playing QB at some point in his career. I just don't think it will be next season.

I believe it was the AL vs MS Allstar game. His QB for most of the game was no other that Jeremy Johnson

I remember that game well, and he was the MVP. Mississippi couldn't cover him, and getting him down after the catch was also a challenge for them. One of the announcers summed up his skills as a receiver by saying he can create space between himself and defenders. The same athletic skills that made him hard to cover also made him elusive after the catch. I know he wants to play QB, but I think he'd have a much better shot at the next level if he'd focus on WR.

Cam only needed 1 year as a D1 starter to become the #1 overall pick in the NFL draft. Also, if Smith plays one year at QB as a senior, then that means that he's the best QB we have on the roster that year. That would be the purpose. Finally: how do we know that Smith's future in the NFL isn't at QB? What specific information are you basing that off of? Does he have a bad, non-correctable throwing motion? Does he have a learning disability? Going the other way, has he stated that he's going to be a dentist when he's done at Auburn?

It looks like Jeremy Johnson has the job for the next 2 years if he stays healthy, and it looks like Sean White will be just as good as Johnson. But Smith has been putting up crazy numbers at a higher level than high school and looks a lot like a certain QB who almost won us a national championship last year (and it's not hard to believe that he might be a better passer). I just don't mind saying at this point, "Hey, an Auburn guy might be good enough to win a job on the football field."

Comparing him and Cam...LOL.. Cam spent two years being coached at UF before JC...and let's see...6-5-240 pounds and JC stats about double Smith....just to begin with. And so he tries to win it on field over JJ which is about zero chance and meanwhile as he is playing 2nd or 3rd or 4th QB....he is not developing at a position that can help the team. The guy is good enough that he should be on the field somewhere, not sitting on the bench waiting on JJ to get hurt ...or for JJ to turn pro or whatever.

Doubt he gets many snaps at QB. Sean White is really terrific at QB along with JJ.

White may be really terrific, but Hes never taken a snap in college. Why not have someone that can push him?

I just don't see the harm in giving Jason a shot at the position of his choice. He can play WR if he loses the job in spring. Then revisit the QB role if the spot opens up after next season. There's no downside to it.

White may be really terrific, but Hes never taken a snap in college. Why not have someone that can push him?

I just don't see the harm in giving Jason a shot at the position of his choice. He can play WR if he loses the job in spring. Then revisit the QB role if the spot opens up after next season. There's no downside to it.

Well, one reason is that it is likely that a bigger position of need for us will be at WR. We are comfortable with our QB talent, but not so sure about our WR talent.

From what I have heard White has really looked good on the scout team.So they have seen that he can be good at the college level. I know thats not game action but he has shown he can be good at the college level.

Man, Auburn fans sure love to make assumptions, don't we?

Hey guys, quick reminder: Chris Todd won the job over Kodi Burns. Kiehl Frazier moved to safety and then transferred. Tyrik Rollison never dressed for a game. Zeke Pike never made it to campus. We had a converted DB lead us to the BCSCG. Things happen. And at the quarterback position at Auburn, things happen almost every year.

JJ has looked great in limited action. And I'm as big a fan of Sean White as anybody. But I have yet to see anybody give any definitive reason why Jason Smith can't be as good or better. You can say "He's not going to beat out JJ or Sean White" all you want, but that doesn't make it true. Saying why would be a good start.

Again- anybody, please- what specifically is it about Jason Smith that makes him inferior to the other QBs on the roster? Honest question. I'm not saying he'll ever take a meaningful snap at QB at Auburn. I'm saying that I don't know. But evidently some of you guys know more than I do, so I wish you'd share. Bad throwing motion? Bad footwork? Crumbles in big spots? Not a vocal enough leader? I tried to find some useful film on him from MGCCC but couldn't.

Man, Auburn fans sure love to make assumptions, don't we?

Hey guys, quick reminder: Chris Todd won the job over Kodi Burns. Kiehl Frazier moved to safety and then transferred. Tyrik Rollison never dressed for a game. Zeke Pike never made it to campus. We had a converted DB lead us to the BCSCG. Things happen. And at the quarterback position at Auburn, things happen almost every year.

JJ has looked great in limited action. And I'm as big a fan of Sean White as anybody. But I have yet to see anybody give any definitive reason why Jason Smith can't be as good or better. You can say "He's not going to beat out JJ or Sean White" all you want, but that doesn't make it true. Saying why would be a good start.

Again- anybody, please- what specifically is it about Jason Smith that makes him inferior to the other QBs on the roster? Honest question. I'm not saying he'll ever take a meaningful snap at QB at Auburn. I'm saying that I don't know. But evidently some of you guys know more than I do, so I wish you'd share. Bad throwing motion? Bad footwork? Crumbles in big spots? Not a vocal enough leader? I tried to find some useful film on him from MGCCC but couldn't.

Logic. Boom. Bang.

Especially if he wants to play QB. I just don't see the downside to giving him a shot. Again, if he's Nick Marshall 2.0, Sean White is going to watch from the sidelines.

Archived