OLDEST AE MEMBER

OK, golf, Mike P and others, lets get this out in the open.  First, age and birthdate(optional, if you're worried about identity theft), and favorite Auburn sports memory.  I'll start it off.  Age, 66. DOB- 11-04-43.  Many memories game-wise, but I believe my favorite was watching Shug trudge across the field to address the student body at an Iron Bowl pep rally.  If you sat about half-way up, you could look over the top of the stadium and see the team practicing.  There was something more intimate about Auburn football back then, since it could all come togeher at one place.  Shug would not even try to get us excited, but the man could utter a couple of words in that Selma drawl, and we would go crazy!! 

• Like 4

I had so many great memories at AU, it is hard to put one at the top. The 17-16 punt bama punt game I attended and seeing the turds fan be in shock, watching John Mengelt score 60 points, playing golf at AU, watching Connie Fredrick run over 80 yards on a fake punt against the turds, Shug wanted to kill him for doing that, the visits from Shug to our/his frat house Theta Chi. I could write a book of all the memories. But my number 1 would me and a  bunch Auburn football player  hanging around the radio listen for the announcement of the Heisman winner. Pat Sullivan

• Like 3

Don't think you'll get many replies pops but I'm 58 born 5/19/52. I had so many great memories at AU, it is hard to put one at the top. The 17-16 punt bama punt game I attended and seeing the turds fan be in shock, watching John Mengelt score 60 points, playing golf at AU, watching Connie Fredrick run over 80 yards on a fake punt against the turds, Shug wanted to kill him for doing that, the visits from Shug to our/his frat house Theta Chi. I could write a book of all the memories. But my number 1 would me and a bunch of the guys hanging on the radio listen for the announcement of the Heisman winner. Pat Sullivan

Thanks, golf.  Yeah, probably not too many replies;  just want to stake my claim as the most Senior of the team, if not the wisest. jk!!!  Wasn't Shug a Theta Chi? I was a Phi Tau, and the all-sports trophy every year came down to the two frats.  Sometimes Sigma Nu or the Pikes would contend also.  And I remember exactly where I was when that Heisman was announced;  everyone thought Ed Maranano(sp) was going to get it.

Don't think you'll get many replies pops but I'm 58 born 5/19/52. I had so many great memories at AU, it is hard to put one at the top. The 17-16 punt bama punt game I attended and seeing the turds fan be in shock, watching John Mengelt score 60 points, playing golf at AU, watching Connie Fredrick run over 80 yards on a fake punt against the turds, Shug wanted to kill him for doing that, the visits from Shug to our/his frat house Theta Chi. I could write a book of all the memories. But my number 1 would me and a bunch of the guys hanging on the radio listen for the announcement of the Heisman winner. Pat Sullivan

Thanks, golf.  Yeah, probably not too many replies;  just want to stake my claim as the most Senior of the team, if not the wisest. jk!!!  Wasn't Shug a Theta Chi? I was a Phi Tau, and the all-sports trophy every year came down to the two frats.  Sometimes Sigma Nu or the Pikes would contend also.  And I remember exactly where I was when that Heisman was announced;  everyone thought Ed Maranano(sp) was going to get it.

Yes he was a Theta Chi, the times he would come over to the frat house were just fantastic. Yes we Chi's had some good sports teams, especially football and softball. I can remember a few knock down drap outs with the Phi Tau's.  All I can say is at least your not a ATO thank god for that.

Wow....you guys ARE old!    :tease:

I love the stories!   :thumbsup:

Yeah, you're 26 and Westie is 32.  I have three kids older!!!  jk  Hope this is not boring, but I'll share one more TRUE story.  My freshman year, 1961, I was selected to become a member of Squires, a freshman/soph Honor Society.  As part of the initiation, myself and the other 20-odd candidates were blindfolded in Samford Park, and as a demonstration of how much we loved Auburn, were told to find one of those once-standing mighty oak trees and wrap our arms around it, and hug it.  We all wandered around, but soon I found a tree-like object to hug.  It was another inductee, and when we took our blindfolds off, both of us, although embarrassed, introduced ourselves and became fast friends.  That other inductee's name was TUCKER FREDRICKSON!!!
  • Like 2

That is an awesome story, very nice POPS

Thanks Barney, and 100% true.  Tuck is a great guy!!

Let me speak for Dynasty. He is 10, loves cheeseburgers and watches Spongebob religiously!

WHAT! I love bacon even more than cheeseburgers!  :o

C'mon guys, please don't hijack this thread.  I know old memories are not important to most of you, but there are a few "seasoned members" on here.  Let me have my day.

Loved the story Pops! THE Tucker Fredrickson? Runner up in Heisman trophy race in '64 and first overall pick in the '65 draft! Thats AUsome Pops!!!!

Yep, scored four touchdowns as a NY Giant, IN ONE GAME!!

I liked the Tucker story, that man represents a lot of AU glory days. He was a media star too, unusual for the time.

Yeah, another story.  Mickey Sutton, another friend and great AU Tiger player, said that he went with to Tuck to his Hollywood, Florida home.  Per Mickey, " I could hit a good 5-iron from one end of his home's LR to the other!!  Times have changed;  we were all so impressionible then!!

Let me speak for Dynasty. He is 10, loves cheeseburgers and watches Spongebob religiously!

WHAT! I love bacon even more than cheeseburgers!  :o

C'mon guys, please don't hijack this thread.  I know old memories are not important to most of you, but there are a few "seasoned members" on here.  Let me have my day.

My apologies pops. It won't happen on my account. Sorry

Another story

I was on a recruiting trip with my best friend in high school 1969. The trip was to turdville. After the game was over not more than 30 minutes my best friend, and Bobby Davis and Bo Matthews were called into Bear little house he had in the endzone to meet him. Bear was so drunk he could not remember any of there names. Remember this was 30 minutes after the game. Well my best friend and Bobby Davis went to Auburn and Bo ended up at Colorado. Bo was draft by the San Diego Chargers in the first round (second overall) of the 1974 NFL Draft. So what they say about Bear and drinking is true. He was so drunk I don't know how he could walk and it cost him 3 really good recruits. If they had stars for recruits back then I would say two 5 stars and one 4 star

Now on our first recruiting trip to Auburn 1969. Oh boy that was totally different than at turdville.

• Haha 1

Another story

I was on a recruiting trip with my best friend in high school 1969. The trip was to turdville. After the game was over not more than 30 minutes my best friend, and Bobby Davis and Bo Matthews were called into Bear little house he had in the endzone to meet him. Bear was so drunk he could not remember any of there names. Remember this was 30 minutes after the game. Well my best friend and Bobby Davis went to Auburn and Bo ended up at Colorado. Bo was draft by the San Diego Chargers in the first round (second overall) of the 1974 NFL Draft. So what they say about Bear and drinking is true. He was so drunk I don't know how he could walk and it cost him 3 really good recruits. If they had stars for recruits back then I would say two 5 stars and one 4 star

Now on our first recruiting trip to Auburn 1969. Oh boy that was totally different than at turdville.

When the turds played Nebraska at Legion Field in bham ancient years ago, I was at a hotel in bham with my parents for a wedding. It was the turd hotel. I was getting a coke from the bartender (I was a baby tiger) I turned around and there he stood, I was face to face, he bent down to shake my hand ,as if I were interested, but all I can remember is the smell of his breath. Not good. It was several hours before the game.

Another story

Golf, c'mon, give it up!!!  The kids are letting us have this thread.  What were you recruited for, how did it come out?  These kids don't realize, if you were recruited, you were an athlete.  I want to hear about the rcruiting trip!!!

Another story

Golf, c'mon, give it up!!!  The kids are letting us have this thread.  What were you recruited for, how did it come out?  These kids don't realize, if you were recruited, you were an athlete.  I want to hear about the rcruiting trip!!!

Not me pops it was my best friend in high school. I went on all his recruiting trips. Ole Miss, Ms. St., UT, turds and AU. He turned down alot of trips he could have gone on. Back in those days you could go on just as many trips as you wanted to.

Yes!  Like I said earlier, I love the stories!  Keep em coming! I haven't read them all, but when things slow down in a few hours I will!

This one time, back in 99.....oh nevermind!    :tease:

pops and golf, you guys make me a young pup.  I'm 53 born in 1956.  At Auburn from 75-77.  I don't have as many interesting stories as you guys.  I did meet Coach Bryant at Legion Field at a New York Jets and Kansas City Chiefs game in '69 I think it was.  I went a buddy of mine and his family.  They were Alabama fans and his dad had binoculars and noticed these two guys sitting by themselves in the end zone.  Nobody within two sections of them.  Yes it was a big crowd.  He said that is Bear Bryant.  He was watching Joe Namath.  We ran up there and sure enough it was him.  He told us to sit down and he talked to us for about 20 minutes.  He asked if we played football and of course we did.  He wanted to know what positions and all that.  He wasn't drunk and was even nice to me after I told him I was an Auburn fan.  He signed our programs and told us to let him know when we were seniors and he would come watch us play.  I can't share my Auburn stories.  The statute of limitations is not up on some of the things we did. 

pops and golf, you guys make me a young pup.  I'm 53 born in 1956.  At Auburn from 75-77.  I don't have as many interesting stories as you guys.  I did meet Coach Bryant at Legion Field at a New York Jets and Kansas City Chiefs game in '69 I think it was.  I went a buddy of mine and his family.  They were Alabama fans and his dad had binoculars and noticed these two guys sitting by themselves in the end zone.   Nobody within two sections of them.  Yes it was a big crowd.  He said that is Bear Bryant.  He was watching Joe Namath.  We ran up there and sure enough it was him.  He told us to sit down and he talked to us for about 20 minutes.  He asked if we played football and of course we did.  He wanted to know what positions and all that.  He wasn't drunk and was even nice to me after I told him I was an Auburn fan.   He signed our programs and told us to let him know when we were seniors and he would come watch us play.  I can't share my Auburn stories.  The statute of limitations is not up on some of the things we did. 

Great story A4E;  as to some of the other things,  share with us.  Even though the outcome maybe iffy, you can "tweek"  it for us. Love to hear more.