This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. milehighfan

2019 4* SDE Justin Eboigbe (UAt)

Unfortunately, that is so true.
  3. Today
  4. AUDub

Sessions gets blowback

If you think I’m not aware of Flores at this point, you’re barking up a tree. This isn’t about Flores, but I can see why you're focusing on that. Children are separated from their families because this admin wants them to be. http://www.msnbc.com/ali-velshi/watch/document-reveals-trump-administration-planned-on-separating-migrant-families-soon-after-inauguration-1258507843548 This is about inflicting as much pain and suffering to deter immigration (even those claiming asylum without allowing them to go through the process) as possible. Full stop. Yes, we need reform. We’re past due. Too many admins, R and D alike, have punted this one down the road.
  5. NolaAuTiger

Sessions gets blowback

Release them where though? And what would they do in the interim? If I remember correctly, Obama admin initially was holding families in detention centers, but a California court ruled that to be in violation of the 1997 settlement becuase of the children. Our bigger point is that reform is needed. I’ve seen that and have been/am all for it
  6. NolaAuTiger

Sessions gets blowback

I saw. Deleted comment. The zero tolerance policy is aimed at enforcing federal laws re illegal immigration though. Children are separated ultimately because of existing regs. The whole system needs to reformed. I think everyone agrees on that. The article really doesn’t do justice for Flores and companion case. Read those for yourself.
  7. AUDub

Sessions gets blowback

AFAIK, it wasn’t. The implementation of said zero tolerance was arbitrarily implemented.
  8. AUDub

Sessions gets blowback

Release the parents too under some sort of monitoring or under their own recognizance, like the Obama and Bush admins did.
  9. NolaAuTiger

Sessions gets blowback

What’s the alternative? Seriously. How do you reconcile with the regs? Just don’t enforce the illegal immigration laws?
  10. AUDub

Sessions gets blowback

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/18/us/politics/trump-immigration-germany-merkel.html “Having no effective way to detain the parents with their children, Obama administration officials released the families pending the resolution of their asylum cases. Some were given ankle bracelets. Others were simply ordered to return for a court hearing. What they refused to do was to automatically split the children from their parents so that the adults could be detained.”
  11. NolaAuTiger

Sessions gets blowback

Non minors are detained. Accompanying minors cannot be detained as long, legally. Thus, families are split up.
  12. AUDub

Sessions gets blowback

Correct, but they can remove children from their parents and put them in camps without a second thought, which is what they’re doing in contrast to prior admins. To, you know, own the libs.
  13. NolaAuTiger

Sessions gets blowback

What’s different? The administration’s stance on illegal immigration is what’s different. We need reform. But Trump’s policy isn’t to take children away - that’s an affect of regs that predate this.
  14. NolaAuTiger

Sessions gets blowback

This administration cannot legally detain minors in excess of 20 days. That’s not their doing.
  15. AUDub

Sessions gets blowback

So why is it different now? Because this admin wants it to be.
  16. AUDub

Sessions gets blowback

But not mandated., even by a Flores. The decision to mandate separation lies with this administration and this administration alone. Shitgibbon.
  17. NolaAuTiger

Sessions gets blowback

It’s a logical affect though, at least when families come together. The process exceeds the permitted time.
  18. AUDub

Sessions gets blowback

Hardly. What you’re seeing now is the result of implementing a zero tolerance policy.
  19. NolaAuTiger

Sessions gets blowback

Separation of families is a ramification of existing policy. Read Flores and its companion. Thank you for not calling me a shitgibbon again.
  20. AUDub

Sessions gets blowback

None of that mandates children must be removed from their parents. Trump could end this abhorrent practice, but he’s choosing to see it as a cudgel against the Ds.
  21. AUDub

Sessions gets blowback

Because it is. The separation of families was a deliberate aim. The result of the implementation of a zero tolerance policy was obvious to anyone with a brain. What’s more, professional Nosferatu impersonator and all around a**hole Stephen Miller said as much.
  22. NolaAuTiger

Sessions gets blowback

Funny thing is, I don’t even have to defend Trump to talk about Flores. The zero tolerance policy itself is somewhat of a red herring.
  23. Proud Tiger

Space Force

I agree the AF COULD handle it but right now NASA has the charter for exploration of space. If it was all turned over to the AF it would require the transfer of NASA Centers, people, facilities, etc. If you give it all to either AF or Space Force what would you do with NASA, and why? I'm afraid Trump is being influenced too much by the Space Council which has a long record of recommending dumb stuff IMHO.
  24. NolaAuTiger

Sessions gets blowback

In 2016, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that child migrants who came to the border with parents and were held in custody must be released. The decision did not state parents must be released. This expanded/clarified the Flores settlement. Really the only way to “overturn” a settlement, which is between two parties, is through legislation. Hence, executive action might not be the proper avenue. Idk why people take this as a defense to separating families.
  25. NolaAuTiger

Sessions gets blowback

This is not a “but Obama” defense at all. It predated Obama too. You’re just upset becuase I’m actually informed on the issues and have more sense than to point fingers. If processing takes longer than 20 days, children cannot be detained. That’s a 1997 settlement. Quit being delusional.
  26. AUDub

Sessions gets blowback

You are. You’re deflecting to the classic “but Obama” defense. It’s the implication that "both sides do it.” The thrust of it is “while the gop/trump are really bad, the democrats and obama just as bad if not worse” It’s a non-starter. Unless you’re, you know, a shitgibbon.
  27. AUDub

Sessions gets blowback

And the Trump admin was seeking to change that, while also placing an emphasis on splitting families to deter future immigrants. IT’S. QUITE. SIMPLE. This is cruelty for cruelty’s sake. It’s not that hard to see. For ***** sake, people like Miller are bragging about it.
  1. Load more activity